GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

Idk, but maybe caught on camera forcing AB into the car at Cameron Village parking lot?

I would be willing to bet that before getting far, they probably made a forced stop or two at area bank atm's to make withdrawals, which would have clearly been on video, and may show him being forced at gunpoint. JMO

Do we have any idea why the car was seen parked in Blairs and then found back in Danville? Just an anonymous caller? Because going from Raleigh you have to go through Danville to get to Blairs, and past that Smith Mountain Lake isn’t too far. Maybe this is way out of left field but seems a little odd to me, if I were committing a crime I certainly wouldn’t make any pit stops in another town. JMO.

Do we have any idea why the car was seen parked in Blairs and then found back in Danville? Just an anonymous caller? Because going from Raleigh you have to go through Danville to get to Blairs, and past that Smith Mountain Lake isn’t too far. Maybe this is way out of left field but seems a little odd to me, if I were committing a crime I certainly wouldn’t make any pit stops in another town. JMO.

To my knowledge, the sighting of the car near Blairs has not been confirmed. It could be a rumor.

Has LE done a press conference locally? Where are they looking for Andy — NC or VA? Have any local search parties been organized? Are his loved ones out looking, or have they bern told to stay home and not do that?
LE been quiet over this. No presser. Only news is from reporters. Loved ones searching and talking with news media.

I lived with someone for quite a few years who bought and sold cars. The process of transferring the title - there are ways around that. You would buy the car, never title it in your name, and then resell it. So it would go from the previous owner to the new owner and skip right over the "middle" man who made a couple grand off of it. I have seen a car purchased one day and then sold again the next day for a markup. Always met somewhere - never at your home. And it would be a cash transaction always. (These days Venmo would be the answer.) Meeting somewhere near a friends house in case you sell the car right then - very common. NOT bashing the victim here at all - this is a VERY common practice and people have made a lot of money from doing it. Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to have a good outcome. <modsnip> Very sad story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe those who easily commit felonious acts including violence and escalating to murder do not value life. Maybe they don't value their own lives either, I don't know. But they certainly don't appear to value others who are not family members.

I think back to the Eve Carson murder--a most heinous and senseless murder that didn't have to occur. It was nothing to the killers, not a hesitation or debate. And that awful murder of the mother who had just moved to the North Hills apartment a few years back, her 8 yr old daughter fortunately didn't wake up or get up or she too would have been murdered. IMO

I have thought about Eve a lot in this case.

I lived in NH when that happened. Had totally forgotten that awful crime.

Since the cops have yet to create a public search party or a news conference, to me that means they have many answers we don't and they are probably close to pinpointing where Andy is and therefore will swarm on a spot when they feel they know exactly where he is. It will then pop as a new story. That's what i'm thinking due to the fact they haven't come out and asked the public for help looking in this area or that area.

I lived with someone for quite a few years who bought and sold cars. The process of transferring the title - there are ways around that. You would buy the car, never title it in your name, and then resell it. So it would go from the previous owner to the new owner and skip right over the "middle" man who made a couple grand off of it. I have seen a car purchased one day and then sold again the next day for a markup. Always met somewhere - never at your home. And it would be a cash transaction always. (These days Venmo would be the answer.) Meeting somewhere near a friends house in case you sell the car right then - very common. NOT bashing the victim here at all - this is a VERY common practice and people have made a lot of money from doing it. Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to have a good outcome. <modsnip> Very sad story.

I’m just curious - if a potential buyer was serious about buying a vehicle from a seller who was experienced in private vehicle sales, wouldn’t it be expected the buyer obtain his own licence plates, insurance and registration before the deal is finalized? I’m thinking AB wouldn’t have expected the deal to be concluded right then and there or during the test drive even if the purchase price could be paid via Venmo?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m just curious - if a potential buyer was serious about buying a vehicle from a seller who was experienced in private vehicle sales, wouldn’t it be expected the buyer obtain his own licence plates, insurance and registration before the deal is finalized? I’m thinking AB wouldn’t have expected the deal to be concluded right then and there or during the test drive even if the purchase price could be paid via Venmo?
I’ve sold three cars for cash (one was PayPal) on the spot - And never did I ask or care about license insurance or registration- I removed my plates and signed the titles over - but I’m just an occasional seller

JMO

Since the cops have yet to create a public search party or a news conference, to me that means they have many answers we don't and they are probably close to pinpointing where Andy is and therefore will swarm on a spot when they feel they know exactly where he is. It will then pop as a new story. That's what i'm thinking due to the fact they haven't come out and asked the public for help looking in this area or that area.
And i pray they notify the family before social or news media blurt it!

So the raw court video shed some important details:
1) LE linked defendant to the Craigslist transfer, I'm sure that's how defendant was located so quickly ---> I'm assuming either tracing the burner phones back to owner or craigslist anonymous email back to real email or IP address
2) Witnesses corroborated the transaction ---> wonder if someone saw the exchange, or someone on defendant side squealed
3) Evidence in vehicle proved dangerous weapon was used ---> maybe bullet casing or blood found

A woman in my women's study group (we're studying Moses) mentioned this man at our meeting on Monday, the 14th. He lives in her neighborhood, and she knows him -- she says he's a nice guy. We all agreed that it didn't sound good, as we so often say here.
She said that the whole neighborhood was upset.
And now this more recent news...

The area where he was to meet the guy is within a group of trendy shops, very fine stores, etc., and it's in an old, established, high-dollar residential area. So they didn't meet in a "bad" area of town by any means. SMH. My DH and I had a teeny-tiny house not far from there in years past, and it's not a place where one would expect something like this to happen. OTOH, everything happens everywhere now, it seems.
Why did the owner of the Rover put his vehicle on Craig's list?? Ugh <shudder>.

Of course, we don't have many details yet... but it'll probably be about all we are likely to get...

So this one has got its hooks in me.

Last edited:
Has LE done a press conference locally? Where are they looking for Andy — NC or VA? Have any local search parties been organized? Are his loved ones out looking, or have they bern told to stay home and not do that?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back