Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel it was unplanned. A moment of rage during an argument.

There is one hypothetical scenario I can’t get out of my head. SM and BM got into an argument. She jumps on her bike to get away. He gets in the car to follow her, and ends up running into her and knocks her off the bike. She’s either mortally wounded or killed instantly. He panics.. puts her in the car .... and it goes from there.

All IMO / speculation

This!! I don't believe BM plotted to murder SM as in premeditated, either. I believe it was misadventure. The issue is what would make an individual decide to cover up an accident. If there was discord between the couple, whether it was about SM's dissatisfaction with the move to CO, or her desire to go to a wedding in IN, or tensions regarding her cancer diagnosis and a disagreement regarding alternate therapies, I have no idea. But something came to a head.

I suppose anyone can daydream about being single when things aren't going well with your spouse; it doesn't make you a murderer. Discord in a marriage can result in a wandering eye and finding a sympathetic shoulder. Perhaps BM was under pressure regarding finances, too.

But when an accident happens that ends in death that was triggered by an angry exchange some people could interpret the result as being seen as premeditated. Especially if others are aware of the tensions.

I was looking at the Morphew home and how long the driveway is and how they appear to be the only residence on Puma Path for quite a distance. The closest home to them isn't even on that road; the entrance to that residence is north of Puma Path. Walking, they'd have to cross the Arkansas river to get to the Morphew residence. And we know that many of the homes in the area are not full term residences, that they are vacation homes or AirBnB's. So it's very possible that Suzanne in an effort to end an argument or fight removed herself from the situation and chose to ride her bike and BM, in a fit of pique, got in his truck and followed her, yelling dammit Suzanne just stop! and ended up hitting her. He may have picked her up and brought her back to the house where she died.

And the next act is what separates a perceived murder from a tragic accident: covering it up.

According to GM, she was with BM in Salida on Saturday until 11 am. That was when he had to go home to make "the wife" happy and go hiking or biking. Normally, I would think it was at this time, if there was a plan to eliminate SM it came to fruition, but the evidence of the texting between SM and her BFF in IN, shortly after noon, seem to refute this theory since it was the abrupt ending of the conversation that triggered the panic not the content of the conversation. GM also maintains that BM was in Salida for the rest of the afternoon but that is second hand information, I believe. So I think BM came back to Salida after SM's demise and was scrambling to organize a rush job in Broomfield for Monday to create an alibi, which is why he never mentioned it to GM that morning. It seems odd to me that a government job would be so loosey goosey without any oversight from a structural engineer or someone like that, which is why no tools were left to do the job. BM would know you don't just up and work on a government project without someone there to oversee.

I also believe that maybe BM drove to Broomfield more than once between late Saturday afternoon and Sunday just before six pm.

As to where SM's remains are. I still think they are close to home. MOO

I never heard of Road ID. That shows how unathletic I am. Here’s a link for anyone interested:

Choose Your Wrist Style

I have one, I think I posted something about this in thread #3. I only wear mine on long or solo rides. They are helpful but I don't wear mine at all times. Some are made for medic alert type info and that would make sense to me. I haven't seen it on her in any photos. MOO

Let’s assume for a second that the helmet was the personal item found (or one of them), and forget that LE apparently never thought this was an abduction.

In an abduction scenario, you are going to have a point of initial contact, where Suzanne encounters her assailant.

That location should be the spot where the bike was found, as it would be difficult and pointless for an abductor to transport the bike to another location.

As bizarre as it is for this person to take the time to throw the bike in a ravine, it’s even stranger for the helmet to be located anywhere other than that immediate location.

If you are going to remove her helmet for some strange reason, that’s the time and place it’s probably going to happen.

It makes no sense to then pick up that helmet and dump it some distance away, or to somehow remove that helmet while you’re trying to make a getaway.

I also don’t buy any kidnapping victim being able to toss that item as a clue, as you’d figure she’d be either incapacitated, or stuffed in the trunk or something.

So I believe it was planted by a man who has no idea how real crimes look.

I'm so tired of bobcats -
The Bobcat fire has had me in evacuation warning for the past 9 days with my go bag. I have been wfh.
It has been practically in my backyard.
Today things are looking better.

This thread has kept me sane and given me focus through this stressful time. Thank you all for being here.
Justice for Suzanne.

ATVs are really loud. Doesn't seem like the vehicle of choice for taking off into the night to hide a body? But I suppose if the location were remote enough, it could be a possibility.
What about an electric golf cart? Ours is so quiet that I've often thought, if I ever wanted to sneak up on somewhere or somebody, that the golf cart would be perfect. It is so quiet.

JMO

Let’s assume for a second that the helmet was the personal item found (or one of them), and forget that LE apparently never thought this was an abduction.

In an abduction scenario, you are going to have a point of initial contact, where Suzanne encounters her assailant.

That location should be the spot where the bike was found, as it would be difficult and pointless for an abductor to transport the bike to another location.

As bizarre as it is for this person to take the time to throw the bike in a ravine, it’s even stranger for the helmet to be located anywhere other than that immediate location.

If you are going to remove her helmet for some strange reason, that’s the time and place it’s probably going to happen.

It makes no sense to then pick up that helmet and dump it some distance away, or to somehow remove that helmet while you’re trying to make a getaway.

I also don’t buy any kidnapping victim being able to toss that item as a clue, as you’d figure she’d be either incapacitated, or stuffed in the trunk or something.

So I believe it was planted by a man who has no idea how real crimes look.
I’m still curious why LE haven’t revealed the personal item still after all this time - as I’ve posted before seems like we’ve got a big old chess game going on
JMO

Websleuthers know better than to take Barry literally! IMO
Exactly.

Although if he wants to expound on the "...Let me tell you what happened..." .
By all means, be our guest, BM.

It's as if he's dropping small clues within his mutterings.
Like "the mechanical thing" he did to his bobcat.
Reminds me of the chill I had when L. Stauch said that Gannon's blood would be found on Al's woodworking tools.
Why bring that up at all ?
Unless... and it doesn't bear thinking about further. :(
Imo.

I’m still curious why LE haven’t revealed the personal item still after all this time - as I’ve posted before seems like we’ve got a big old chess game going on
JMO
It does no good to release information like that. Nothing is gained by the public knowing what that item is, especially when this case is a “missing persons investigation,” in name only.

There are things that only the perpetrator knows, and details like that can help validate a confession.

I'm so tired of bobcats -
The Bobcat fire has had me in evacuation warning for the past 9 days with my go bag. I have been wfh.
It has been practically in my backyard.
Today things are looking better.

This thread has kept me sane and given me focus through this stressful time. Thank you all for being here.
Justice for Suzanne.

We have some very good friends in Pas and Altadena.. I know this is stressful, we endured it earlier this year. Stay safe and stay with us to stay sane!

JMO
I am still thinking it is Suzanne’s phone. Maybe this is the reason LE have been quiet on disclosing Suzanne’s GPS info to Andy? An after the fact item BM needed to dispose of possibly to be found by a friend? IMO

There was snow above 10,000 foot elevation, with two feet remaining on Monarch Crest. The Morphew home is about 8830 ft elevation.
For perspective, Google Earth actually has "street view" from the runs of Monarch Mountain ski area, which allow a fantastic view of what the canyon is like. I dropped the little street view guy down at:

38°30'34.07"N, 106°20'16.01"W

which is 11,198 ft elevation. The views were taken in January 2011. In the background directly above the forward skier, the is a white line tracing up the mountain side, disappearing behind trees and faintly reappearing at the crest. I believe that is the power line cut (lower Colorado Trail) that AM described walking in his search with the neighbor. Where that line disappears, seeming to be about halfway up the mountainside, is actually about the 10,000 foot level. Monarch Crest, above it, averages 11,400 ft.
So back to your question: I stated in another thread that I actually made my living on the business end of a shovel for a while in Colorado Springs, digging all through the winter, and never saw the ground frozen. It is awfully hard, though. Personally, I think that the very minimum tool required would be a Bobcat with one of the higher end backhoe attachments (which can cost as much as a new compact car and has very little use in landscaping). The question becomes:
1. Did BM even own a premium backhoe attachment for his Bobcat?
2. BM would not likely have used a backhoe attachment at the beach job or in Denver. He could have transported his Bobcat on that trailer with a backhoe attachment installed, but it would have been impossible to carry the Bobcat and the backhoe attachment separately, on the same trailer. Did he have time to change one twice, and where was the attachment parked when not on the Bobcat?
One final thought: Using a Bobcat to dig a deep grave is a dangerous operation. The deeply extended bucket and arms exert huge balancing counterweight on the machine, putting it in danger of tipping forward as the arm is curling the bucket to lift the dirt or rock. The resulting tip can plow the operator face first into the earth on the opposite side of the hole. I'm certainly not saying that it can't be done, but where would a landscaper learn to do that?
IMO

The "photo" is a Google Earth screen shot, produced entirely in Google Earth Pro with no external editing.
This is a great thought. We had a 2019 Winter of big snowfall in Colorado. Even here in "the city" with our north facing driveway the ice didn't thaw until March at 5,280 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288