2020 Hurricane Season Starting Early, "High Activity" Expected This Year

National Hurricane Center--latest key messages for Sally as of 4 p.m.
152559_key_messages_sm.png

That’d be a fun job. Coming up with names for hurricanes. Or lipsticks. Either one.:rolleyes:
LOL!!! I just want them to pick easy to pronounce names. I don't care what language they're in! Stop with the "let's pick this one and spend the first 5 minutes of every update educating everyone on how to pronounce it" names. This isn't language class. JMO

LOL!!! I just want them to pick easy to pronounce names. I don't care what language they're in! Stop with the "let's pick this one and spend the first 5 minutes of every update educating everyone on how to pronounce it" names. This isn't language class. JMO

Yes! I gave up on pronouncing Isaias and just referred to it as "Eye-zay-us." (Obviously I don't speak Spanish.)

Lots of rain in the Pensacola area. Voluntary evacuation orders issued. Barge hit a bridge so it's closed until after the storm when they can get an engineer in to inspect. I'm just sitting around knitting my granddaughter a blanket that matches the one that I made for her favorite baby doll. We shouldn't lose power since we have underground lines, but you never know. Hubby is mad because he wanted Mexican takeout last night but I'd already marinated a pork tenderloin so I told him he could have it tonight. He still thinks they'll be open and he'll go get it, but I'm thinking that frozen pizza will have to do. BTW, the Digourno with the croissant crust is totally worth it. ;)
Thinking of you, @Knitty - I hope you & your fam OK. So much water in your neck of the woods.

My friend in northeast GA had a lot of rain yesterday but they live on a hill. Stay safe everyone.

Hurricane Sally remnants to bring flooding rain to Georgia, Carolinas

As Sally remnants move east Thursday afternoon and evening, there is a threat for flooding rain from Atlanta to Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina. There is also a threat for tornadoes from central Georgia into Charleston, South Carolina, and into Wilmington and eastern North Carolina.

Thinking of you, @Knitty - I hope you & your fam OK. So much water in your neck of the woods.

Lost power Tuesday at 6:00 p.m., and got it back today (Thursday) at 3:00 p.m. We lost fence due to trees in neighboring yards on two sides. Small things. Generator wouldn't start and so we lost all the frozen stuff plus the stuff like mayo that we didn't want to chance. Publix is the bomb, and had everything on my list, even though half the world was there at the same time as I was. Everybody in a great mood and every lane open and checking out folks so fast. Son who is about two miles from me had about half the power loss and none of the food loss. Other son who is in a condo about 50 miles from us had no power for 6 hours and it was on just in time for him to brag about working. Our office is fine.

Lots of flooding. Not as much wind damage, but some. Our new bridge contractors allowed seven of their barges to escape which caused damage to the new bridge and also other bridges and several other things as well. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Can't find a non-paywall source for the seven barges but here's one with part of the story:

Sen. Broxson: Multiple barges hit Three Mile Bridge, repairs may take 60 days

That bridge is how we go to work. The other bridge mentioned is the long way to go to work. That's okay, since we're working from home anyway.

BTW, Joe, my whole family is in Savannah. I did my growing up there. Love it. Miss everything except the gnats.

Lost power Tuesday at 6:00 p.m., and got it back today (Thursday) at 3:00 p.m. We lost fence due to trees in neighboring yards on two sides. Small things. Generator wouldn't start and so we lost all the frozen stuff plus the stuff like mayo that we didn't want to chance. Publix is the bomb, and had everything on my list, even though half the world was there at the same time as I was. Everybody in a great mood and every lane open and checking out folks so fast. Son who is about two miles from me had about half the power loss and none of the food loss. Other son who is in a condo about 50 miles from us had no power for 6 hours and it was on just in time for him to brag about working. Our office is fine.

Lots of flooding. Not as much wind damage, but some. Our new bridge contractors allowed seven of their barges to escape which caused damage to the new bridge and also other bridges and several other things as well. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Can't find a non-paywall source for the seven barges but here's one with part of the story:

Sen. Broxson: Multiple barges hit Three Mile Bridge, repairs may take 60 days

That bridge is how we go to work. The other bridge mentioned is the long way to go to work. That's okay, since we're working from home anyway.

BTW, Joe, my whole family is in Savannah. I did my growing up there. Love it. Miss everything except the gnats.
Whew! Glad you’re OK. I hope those floodwaters subside soon. I recall this happening with bridges/barges before. I don’t know why they don’t just move them out & away.

We moved to Sav the same year Irma’s spaghetti noodles went through our house in FL AND our home here. We had no idea where to evacuate- like maybe she was after us, lol. We’ve since sold FL, but that was sure a stressful fall. Lots of wind damage & really long “to do” lists.

Hurricane Teddy, now category 4: Could hit Bermuda this weekend, likely to cause swells that will affect the southeastern US, then possibly will visit New England or Maritime Provinces next week.

210009_key_messages_sm.png

Hurricane Teddy, now category 4: Could hit Bermuda this weekend, likely to cause swells that will affect the southeastern US, then possibly will visit New England or Maritime Provinces next week.

210009_key_messages_sm.png
Lordy I hope it’s not a lot of surge for the New England states. I have a lot of family along the coast in southern Maine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back