Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE has not disclosed what the item is, IMO we won't know what it is until the PC affidavit is released or at trial.

That's why I went back and looked at the timeline again, did LE suspect BM of tampering with evidence? Who knows ... he'd have to be an absolute idiot to do that.
But old Barry hasn't proven to be the sharpest tool in the shed so far.
Forgive me for quoting myself-

One of Suzanne’s family members is breaking their silence with the promise of anonymity. They’re worried Barry is tampering with the investigation.
Suzanne Morphew’s family speaks out 3 months after her disappearance | FOX31 Denver

That worry was after Andy came to Colorado in May and the CBI visited Indiana, just saying.

Thanks for the additional info. I asked the question thinking along the lines of an attorney arguing, as an example, a screenshot is not solid evidence of timestamps, it could have been falsified to look an actual text exchange between parties, etc. I would imagine actual evidence turned over from the cell provider or recovered from LE is better but screenshots still work as evidence. IMO
Interesting about timestamps being falsified. In the trial for Tammy Moorer, for kidnapping Heather, she falsified a picture posted. However, the prosecution brought in someone and they could prove she falsified it. Busted...

In the real world, I'm a graphic designer. I cannot tell you how much it bothers me that screenshots can be/are considered evidence, when I could manufacture one in less than an hour, that looks 100% legit, but is 100% fake.
I think if the text/conversation in question could then be proven to have taken place via logs from the platform, then and only then should a screen shot be entered as evidence. But never without proof. They're way too easy to fake.

jmo
I agree with everyone that screenshots and PDFs are easily doctored. Im not saying it never happens, because it absolutely does, but I there's generally an assumption by the courts that an attorney would never knowingly enter fake evidence into evidence because its just bad practice, its against the rules of professional conduct (its a disbarrable offense if caught or at least sanctionable) and judges often falsely assume that if false evidence is entered into the trial that the defense will object to it and/or be able to easily prove via official phone records that a text if fake.

For either the defense or prosecution to claim they werent away evidence was fake, IMO, would be a sign they didnt do their due diligence in the case (which is also sanctionable and could open the lawyer up to civil litigation). also if someone were found guilty and later fake evidence was discovered, it can be grounds for overturning the original trial/ordering a rehearing. Again, not trying to say this doesnt happen, it does and its horrible, its just a risky move that most attorneys are not willing to take. Reputation in the legal world is EVERYTHING

I'm thinking the mountain lion that got the little Kunz kid has moved to Colorado and gotten a bigger appetite.

But seriously, who found the missing personal item, someone close to Barry? Am I correct in understanding that it was found in an area that was previously searched?

As for what it might be, if Barry planted it, it's going to be something that is obviously hers, like with a name or other unique identifiers, and again, if he planted it with the kidnap scenario in mind, it would be something associated with a bike ride. Not too many things on that list and I think yall have covered them all.

Here is what I think happened. This is all MOO (does that mean my opinion only?)

I think that Barry and Suzanne were separating. At the request of Suzanne and Barry didn’t want to . I think they were going to tell the girls after they got back from their camping trip. To me, this also explains the move to the condo that Andy told us about (almost like Barry was going to do it anyway per Suzanne’s request and felt guilty and did it now)

I believe the motive in this case was pure jealousy/rage (not money, not inheritances, not another woman) and that it was in no way pre-planned or even pre-thought. I do not see Barry in the same light as I see Chris watts or Scott Peterson.

I think on Saturday , Barry saw her on her phone and was like “give me your phone-let me see who you’re texting” or -he stole it and read/found something he didn’t like in there, I could elaborate on what I think he found , but you probably get it. I think he threw/slammed her phone and broke it (to me, this could explain the potential logins from his phone to her fb or whatever/creating the friend suggestions) I think a fight occurred and he killed her.

I do think that Friday night was relevant somehow. I’m not sure how yet, but I have some ideas that I’m working through.

I thought about this too. IMO after planting the bike, he realized that Suzanne would always have this item with her if she was riding. It could be her helmet, a water bottle or any other item she usually had with her. He couldn’t leave it in the house to be discovered by LE so it had to be left near the bike. Why didn’t he leave it with the bike or just make it disappear? He may have overthought it. He may have run out of time and just tossed in the general direction on his way past the bike spot. Maybe he figured a mountain lion could have dislodged it from the bike or, if it was her helmet, that it could have come off while she was being dragged up the mountain by her feet. So far, he may get points for dumb luck but I don’t think he’s getting any for his smarts.

And if someone did plant the bike helmet, maybe he forgot to undo the strap further raising LE's suspicions?

I close my strap when I'm done riding so the helmet can hang on the handlebars, ready for the next ride. They are also closed when I'm wearing the helmet. Those are the only 2 times the strap is fastened.

Speculation only. Just sayin'.

Agree with MassGuy. I think the bike, the helmet, and possibly an article of biking apparel were found by LE. All planted by BM. He thought those items would prove to the world that she was abducted.
He has to be fuming that LE won't say what they found.
If they did, he could argue his case to the public that the objects are absolute, positively, no doubt about it, proof that she was abducted. And that LE are too stupid to figure it out.
But as it is, he has to keep his mouth shut and hope he doesn't slip up.
Moo
Amazing isn't it that if true, the very items he listed on his handwritten note that he gave the convenience store clerk can be crossed off the list.

Agree with MassGuy. I think the bike, the helmet, and possibly an article of biking apparel were found by LE. All planted by BM. He thought those items would prove to the world that she was abducted.
He has to be fuming that LE won't say what they found.
If they did, he could argue his case to the public that the objects are absolute, positively, no doubt about it, proof that she was abducted. And that LE are too stupid to figure it out.
But as it is, he has to keep his mouth shut and hope he doesn't slip up.
Moo

ITA. He may have already slipped up on the TD video when he referred to said item as an "article".

Been thinking.....

Suzanne may have been contemplating leaving but surely she didn't expect death...

What if....

What if Suzanne doesn't go for a morning bike ride because she expects to go on one with her husband later in the day. He's at work, she freely dives into her social media conversation about the wedding.

We don't know what her last message was....

But what we might know is that BM was returning from the Salida job during the 11 o'clock hour.... and her social media conversation ended at noon-thirty, presumably when BM returned home. We've all been wondering what led to the friend's immediate panic. I think it's not that the conversation ended but what her last message may have been.

What if...

What if the last text was: going for a bike ride (with my husband), call the police if I don't return.

Not a stretch. If she had marriage trouble, if she'd confided even generally with her friend, she may indeed have felt some trepidation going off with him. (Common pattern in relationships where there's imbalance-- a fight, the make up with the promise, if Suzanne voiced displeasure, the husband may have tried to appease her with the promise of more time together, hence biking and hiking, but that didn't necessary lift her reticence.) Going on a ride with him might feel like more of the same, when she was finally ready to say no more -- so she wouldn't be 100% scared, just apprehensive. Don't get me wrong, I don't think she went for a bike ride, on Saturday either, but I do think it's possible she thought she'd be going on one.

If she messaged her friend about a bike ride, and then went radio silent, you bet that friend would worry. Then to learn she disappeared (reportedly) on a bike ride a full day later??? Freak out!

That last text may well tell the whole story.

JMO

Last edited:
BBM:

I think LE has shown nothing short of sheer genius in both their disclosure of having recovered a personal item, and in their refusal to identify specifically what it is they recovered.

I've said this before, but the reason this is such a brilliant move is that it really puts the perp in a state of disequilibrium.

What if the perp planted more than one item that he intended for LE to find?

What if LE is publicly stating that they've recovered "an item" but have in fact recovered more than one?

What if LE recovered something that the perp did NOT mean to leave behind, i.e., he dropped something inadvertently?

There's no way for the perp to know the answers to any of those questions.
Unless he goes out to check the location(s) where he planted items, he can't verify whether or not LE recovered what he intended them to find.

Obviously, he can't risk going back to the spot where he planted evidence, because LE may have surveillance on that area and/or on him.

It has to be driving him absolutely batty not knowing what LE has in hand.
He has no idea whether it's something he meant for them to discover, or if it's a neon flashing bread crumb he unintentionally left behind for LE.

The perp is now "completely in the dark here," as BM would say.

And I guarantee you he's extremely unhappy about that.

It really is genius on the part of LE to handle it this way.

JMO.

Absolutely love this!

I'm thinking the mountain lion that got the little Kunz kid has moved to Colorado and gotten a bigger appetite.

But seriously, who found the missing personal item, someone close to Barry? Am I correct in understanding that it was found in an area that was previously searched?

As for what it might be, if Barry planted it, it's going to be something that is obviously hers, like with a name or other unique identifiers, and again, if he planted it with the kidnap scenario in mind, it would be something associated with a bike ride. Not too many things on that list and I think yall have covered them all.

The personal item was found on a the third day of search (May 12), which was limited strictly to invited LE and all volunteers were turned away. Barry was not allowed to be there when it was found, And has never been informed what that personal item was.
Keep in mind that ALL that has ever been stated by LE for location was that the personal item was found "west of the intersection of Hwy 50 and CR 225". That literally takes in everything west of a north-south line drawn through the stop sign at the intersection, including all of the Colorado Trail with 2.5 miles, 2.5 miles of Highway 50, all of CR225 west of the "Y" turnoff onto Puma Path, etc.
IMO

Been thinking.....

Suzanne may have been contemplating leaving but surely she didn't expect death...

What if....

What if Suzanne doesn't go for a morning binge ride because she expects to go on one with her husband later in the day. He's at work, she freely dives into her social media conversation about the wedding.

But what we might now is that BM was returning from the Salida job during the 11 o'clock hour.... and her social media conversation ended at noon-thirty, presumably when BM returned home. We've all been wondering what led to the friend's immediate panic. I think it's not that the conversation ended but what her last message may have been.

What if...

What if the last text was: going for a bike ride (with my husband), call the police if I don't return.

Not a stretch. If she had marriage trouble, if she'd confided even generally with her friend, she may indeed have felt some trepidation going off with him. (Common pattern in relationships where there's imbalance-- a fight, the make up with the promise, if Suzanne voiced displeasure, the husband may have tried to appease her with the promise of more time together, hence biking and hiking, but that didn't necessary lift her reticence.) Going on a ride with him might feel like more of the same, when she was finally ready to say no more -- so she wouldn't be 100% scared, just apprehensive. Don't get me wrong, I don't think she went for a bike ride, on Saturday either, but I do think it's possible she thought she'd be going on one.

If she messaged her friend about a bike ride, and then went radio silent, you bet that friend would worry. Then to learn she disappeared (reportedly) on a bike ride a full day later??? Freak out!

JMO

Plausible.
I think eliminating the mountain lion and SM wandering off injured left only foul play and self removal.
By Wed morning 5/13, sheriff said they were conducting a criminal investigation, and that same day were collecting footage from the Bromfield Walmart.

The personal item was found on a the third day of search (May 12), which was limited strictly to invited LE and all volunteers were turned away. Barry was not allowed to be there when it was found, And has never been informed what that personal item was.
Keep in mind that ALL that has ever been stated by LE for location was that the personal item was found "west of the intersection of Hwy 50 and CR 225". That literally takes in everything west of a north-south line drawn through the stop sign at the intersection, including all of the Colorado Trail with 2.5 miles, 2.5 miles of Highway 50, all of CR225 west of the "Y" turnoff onto Puma Path, etc.
IMO
PE has a map with the item found location. Roughly west of hwy 50 just across from the entrance to 225 and about 30 feetto the south.

It was up the enbankment, about a throw distance from the highway shoulder.

Last edited:
Been thinking.....

What if....

What if Suzanne doesn't go for a morning binge ride because she expects to go on one with her husband later in the day. He's at work, she freely dives into her social media conversation about the wedding.

But what we might now is that BM was returning from the Salida job during the 11 o'clock hour.... and her social media conversation ended at noon-thirty, presumably when BM returned home. We've all been wondering what led to the friend's immediate panic. I think it's not that the conversation ended but what her last message may have been.

What if...

JMO

BBM:

I agree that SM's final text may prove to be extremely telling, as well as damning.

I do very much wonder what the last message SM (herself) texted.

Specifically, I'm wondering if it was something along the lines of, "BM just stormed into the house, I'm going to have to deal with him, BRB" or something similar.

I think SM may have shared that tensions were running very high under that roof.

And then she went radio silent.

JMO.

Last edited:
But he may not have known she was texting. She could’ve been watching tv and now and then picking up her phone to respond.
She also could have been using a laptop to communicate with her friend. I use a laptop while my Facebook friends use their phones in messenger. BM could have thought that she was just playing around on her computer and snuck up on her. That's kind of what I think that he did.

If that is what happened, I can see him catching her off guard and there not being much evidence of a struggle in the house as he would have been able to overpower her quite easily.

I think the perp disposed of the body temporarily, as you say, on Friday night.
At this point, most people know that dirt can be exacted with accuracy and so can tires, etc. from whatever was used to dispose of her body. I'm not thinking tools were bleached in the hotel room but there's always that possibility unless, you know, and I don't want to type it out.
Something(s) were bleached in the hotel room. Something(s) in the home were bleached.
Who else would've would've had the opportunity to do so in both the home and the hotel room?
JMO
Agree with your post. Also, it makes perfect sense that a stranger would not go to all this trouble to clean up the crime scene and remove her from the home. Only someone who is close to her would do that.

It's sad that BM doesn't have enough compassion for his children or SM's loved ones to allow her to have a proper burial.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member