GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

Sounds like they were able to locate him based on a cell phone pinging on the property for 20 mins on Saturday

Raleigh man's remains found in Chatham
Great job by Raleigh LE and Detectives for a quick Recovery and a quick Arrest.
While I figured an arrest would be quick and vehicle found fast, I was worried about Andy being found and was praying it would not take a long time as friends and family suffer as searching continues.
RIP ANDY-- you were loved by many and you captured our hearts here in WS.

Incredibly proud of LE moving so quickly to arrest a suspect and locate the body.
Since JM was located before the car (so not evidence in car leading to JM's arrest), it would be interesting to find out what led police so quickly to JM
1) was it tracing of the anonymous craigslist emails back to JM's true email?
2) was it tracking the burner phone back to JM? does one have to provide their real name/ID when purchasing a burner phone?
3) was it caught on video somewhere such as ATM and JM was already in police files so facial recognition was matched?
4) was it fingerprints on AB's discarded phone roadside? also who found the phone and how was it so quickly located
5) something else?
Probably all the above.

For those unfamiliar with the area, the P.D.s in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and various towns in between) tend to keep everything quiet and very close-to-the-vest. They say little, give almost nothing away, and preserve their cases for future prosecution. This is the standard protocol. It's one that many P.D.'s follow across the country.

It can be exceedingly frustrating for new case followers to understand the public is not entitled to know the details of an investigation, especially as it is happening, and even after arrests and arraignments, it will often be <crickets> until a trial occurs when the state presents all their evidence.

Some things will be found out, like results from the autopsy in a few months, as that becomes part of the public record, but if you're new to following a murder case, get ready to have your patience tested and tested hard. Cases may take up to a couple of years, or even longer to get to trial, depending. Covid may have lengthened the average time.

IMO

Updated

Body believed to be missing Raleigh man Andy Banks located in Virginia, police say

"Andy would have gladly handed them the keys to that car if it meant he got to live," friend CC told ABC11 on Thursday upon hearing the news. " He would have done everything he could to talk his way out of it."

More @ link TOS/WS
Mostly what we know
The above comment by Andy's friend makes a strong statement.

I don’t know Andy but this was my thought about him, as I’m close to his same age and would have done the same thing. Take my car, take my wallet, I’ll forget what you looked like. It’s absolutely heart breaking.

I would like to see the maximum punishment for this crime. I can’t believe the “society” we live in right now. It’s just so sad.

I'm a friend of Andy's brother. Just so heartbroken over this case. Haven't been able to take my mind off of it since the start. This thread has been so good for me to see people who truly care about what happened to him and how it has affected his family. Thanks to all of you.

I am so sorry for your friend's loss, and your loss. I know that he is lucky to have a friend like you, who he may need to lean on to get through the many upcoming difficult days. I am sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, but I am glad that you found this site. I think it is probably a "local" case that brings most of us here initially. I have been coming here for 11 years, and have been a member for over 8, and I can assure you that the overwhelming majority of the people on this site are smart, compassionate people, who care deeply about finding justice and a voice for those who have had theirs senselessly taken from them.

You may want or feel the need to step away for a while, but if you want to stay, or wish to ever return, you will feel very welcome here. Sadly, there will always be another Andy Banks here, and there can never be too many voices seeking justice for them. JMO

Last edited:
I have been following this so closely and was hoping for a better outcome. I knew Andy. He was a great person and will be missed by so many people. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. What a tragic, senseless crime.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Andy sounds like such a wonderful guy and a great friend.
It saddens me that this has happened to such a bright ray of life.

This is extremely sad, and so preventable. This p-0-s is a 3 time convicted felon.
He should not have been walking the streets to commit this crime.
BBM
You hit it spot on !!!
I've been saying this since Andy went missing.
I hope this P O S never sees the outside again.

I'm a friend of Andy's brother. Just so heartbroken over this case. Haven't been able to take my mind off of it since the start. This thread has been so good for me to see people who truly care about what happened to him and how it has affected his family. Thanks to all of you.
I am so sorry for your loss and for his family's loss.
I am glad being here at WS has helped you, even a little bit, to get through this.

I’m so very sorry for all of you - he clearly was a wonderful guy and should never have lost his life - this suspect should not have been on the streets IMO - perhaps an Andy’s Law because I’m furious this happened and I don’t even know Andy - my condolences to all of you

JMO

I just wanted to echo the sentiments of others here on the thread expressing my sympathies to AB's family and friends on this senseless, tragic loss.

Some have been posting here in this thread. @Jeepguy and others, I extend my sincere condolences to you on the loss of your friend.

Thank you for your participation here on his thread, and your efforts to find answers on your friend's behalf.

I'm so sorry the resolution was not a happy one.

May justice be swiftly served.

JMO.

Last edited:
Andy's life should have mattered :```(

Oh, rest assured, it did.

Clearly, Andy's life mattered greatly to his friends and family.

His life was meaningful, as evidenced by the amount of care and concern expressed by those who knew him, and by their descriptions of who he was as a person.

The fact that some evil cretin chose to callously disregard how precious his life was, in no way diminishes its value.

It's the perp whose life is worthless.

He's the one who's less than zero.

JMO.

Last edited:
And did he have help? Get every last person who helped please
JMO

No need to worry about that. RPD are thorough and will not handwave away any possible co-defendants or lose interest in fully investigating, even with this one arrest. Local P.D.s don't need to be told how to investigate major crimes--they deal with crimes large and small every day and will utilize all resources available to them, including regional and national FBI assistance if needed. As an interstate case, I bet we'll see a few agencies involved. IMO

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p