Facial Masks - Coronavirus

I think people just need to stick with homemade masks. Sheesh.

Customs agents seize 500,000 counterfeit N95 masks from China bound for New Jersey

The respirators discovered by CBP, which boasted a domestic value of $3,074,385, had arrived from Shenzhen, China, and were headed for Manalapan, N.J. CDC testing found that 10% of the 30 masks tested “had a filter efficiency rating below 95%,” the release states.

These masks were made in CA and they still didn’t make them to specs. Good grief.

California recalls more than 10 million N95 masks

More than 10 million N95 masks purchased using a $90 million contract are being recalled by the state of California, according to Brian Ferguson, spokesperson for the Governor's Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES).

These masks were made in CA and they still didn’t make them to specs. Good grief.

More than 10 million N95 masks purchased using a $90 million contract are being recalled by the state of California, according to Brian Ferguson, spokesperson for the Governor's Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES).
I have had some N-95s, not medical grade, for months now but I trust my own mask with filters more. I have yet to work in one.

Yesterday my friend who is also making masks asked for a copy of my chemo cap pattern. She wants to make up some with her left over mask fabric. The pattern we are using is McCalls 4116. The knit hat “B” and the turban “G” have been very popular. I made sure to get a knit with as much cotton as possible so the patients head doesn't sweat. The knit hat “B” can also be made with fleece.

It is always good to have a few on hand as none of know when we’ll be touched by cancer. In this pandemic, people cannot afford to pay $20 for a nice chemo cap/hat. When you lose your hair, you still want to look your best and be warm too.

I say this because if you are planning to copy pattern instructions, the photos don’t scan well. The written instructions are fine but the diagrams come out solid black. Our plan is to take a photo of the diagrams so they are clearer for the seamstress. Just an FYI.

How do I politely ask someone to wear a mask?

Experts say you should make the request discreetly because shaming the person could put them on the defensive.

If they feel violated by the way you approach them, they are much less likely to make a change, said Jan Kavookjian, a behavioral scientist at Auburn University. She said citing local rules or recommendations from health officials could also help in some cases.

“Someone feels less threatened when you say, ‘Here’s what the experts say’,” Kavookjian said...

Experts say you should make the request discreetly because shaming the person could put them on the defensive.

If they feel violated by the way you approach them, they are much less likely to make a change, said Jan Kavookjian, a behavioral scientist at Auburn University. She said citing local rules or recommendations from health officials could also help in some cases.

“Someone feels less threatened when you say, ‘Here’s what the experts say’,” Kavookjian said...
I noticed on my last visit to the cancer center there were signs specifically stating this. Mask must be warm over the nose at all times. It was mostly the guys who had to be reminded.

Some good tips...

Foggy glasses, 'maskne' fixed with these simple tips
Snips:
To prevent “maskne,” Jaber recommends washing the face twice daily, with whatever cleanser works best for your skin type and following with a moisturizer around the areas where the mask usually irritates the skin.

Glasses fog because humidity can escape the mask and move upward, coming into contact with the lenses and causing them to fog. Placing a tissue under the top of your face mask can also help absorb some of the droplets, leading to clear lenses. Wearing a mask that can form to the bridge of your nose — one with wire, for instance — can help prevent the warm air from your mouth from reaching your lenses.

we had some 96-100% humidity days here and I really have a fog problem on those days, even with the nose wire. One person I know uses painter's tape and tapes the mask to his face. I imagine that adhesive tape would work(?). I find that the humidity makes my nose and face itch so much that the "do not touch your face" becomes a torture. these problems occur outside not inside where it is climate controlled.

we had some 96-100% humidity days here and I really have a fog problem on those days, even with the nose wire. One person I know uses painter's tape and tapes the mask to his face. I imagine that adhesive tape would work(?). I find that the humidity makes my nose and face itch so much that the "do not touch your face" becomes a torture. these problems occur outside not inside where it is climate controlled.

I have trouble with my glasses fogging too. But I think tape on my face would irritate the skin. I haven't tried putting a tissue in the top of the mask yet, will try that.

I have trouble with my glasses fogging too. But I think tape on my face would irritate the skin. I haven't tried putting a tissue in the top of the mask yet, will try that.

I'm in the same club :D I wear my BCBS cloth mask when I don't need my glasses. If I need to have my glasses on - i.e. grocery shopping - I wear a procedural mask with the wire across my nose. The BCBS mask doesn't have any wire, and the nose flap doesn't stay in place. Both masks are always in my purse, and I have extras in my glove box so I'm never without a mask if I'm away from home.

Last edited:
I have had some N-95s, not medical grade, for months now but I trust my own mask with filters more. I have yet to work in one.
I tried to wear my n-95 non medical grade with my homemade mask over it. Thought I would pass out, no moving fast in that arrangement. I tried grocery shopping and i normally walk at a brisk pace. I tried to walk normal pace and started getting dizzy. Slowed it way down and strolled and I was fine. Lungs are pretty good too, I’m no runner but I indoor row 4 days a week with sustained effort.

Keep on sewing...

Choosing the best mask to protect you and others
These face masks are most effective, according to new CDC guidelines - CNN

"You want to have a minimum two-ply mask, preferably a three-ply mask," said Allen, who has focused his career on "sick buildings" and how they affect worker performance and productivity.

Stay away from bandanas and gaiter masks unless that's all that's available. A recent study found both types to be the least effective in terms of protection.

"In addition to level of filtration, we have to pay attention to fit," Allen continued. "You want the mask to go over the bridge of the nose, below the chin and be flush on the face, resting along the skin. You want your breath going through the filter media and not escaping out the sides."

I recently purchased Halo masks with replaceable nano filters. So far these are my favorite. The fit is great and it has the metal band that ”molds” across the nose. It even offers a couple of sizes for adults.

My friend bought fabric she liked and shipped it to me to make masks. She is giving them as gifts.

I decided to try the tiny stretchy elastic this time. It was only 99 cent/yard but you need 24” (two 12” pieces) for each mask. You thread them thru the channel and tie them into fisherman’s knots. This method means the ear loops are adjustable.

I swear I had to watch the video a dozen times to figure out the knot! But I got it finally.

Attachments

• 2C6DEC29-770F-4B34-95FF-44768AB8AA03.jpeg
    2C6DEC29-770F-4B34-95FF-44768AB8AA03.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 14
Some of my latest! I have Jane Eyre fabric!

Attachments

• IMG_30112020_202159_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_30112020_202159_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_30112020_202215_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_30112020_202215_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_30112020_202234_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_30112020_202234_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_30112020_202251_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_30112020_202251_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 13
Some of my latest! I have Jane Eyre fabric!
That’s so cool! I love the dragonflies print. That style mask lends itself to the bigger prints.

My friend that I made the masks for recently really liked the adjustable ear ties. So I ordered a roll of that type tie. I’m going to update some of the masks I’ve made.

That’s so cool! I love the dragonflies print. That style mask lends itself to the bigger prints.

My friend that I made the masks for recently really liked the adjustable ear ties. So I ordered a roll of that type tie. I’m going to update some of the masks I’ve made.
Oh, yes, adjustable ties are the best. People don't seem to realize they should be adjusting adjustable masks if their glasses fog up. Hubs said his glasses fog up in the same mask I wear. Nine months into this, I had to show him that if he adjusts the elastic, they won't. He was amazed. All of his masks have this feature, yet he never paid attention.

I'm experimenting with satin inside the dragonfly masks for my coworker and myself. Her face is getting irritated, and I want to compare it to the silk. I'll let you guys know if it's as breathable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebecca.ingram1214@gmail.
Back