WA WA - Susan Caldwell, 17, Seattle, 13 November 1987

alllads

Reaction score
I came across this no-info NamUs profile recently:
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7028/92/

I've seem her name mentioned in another thread as a possibility for someone, but there is no info on her, and also a mysterious note that it might not even be her real name. I've asked the Seattle PD for some records and info, and they have obliged. Unfortunately, there's still not more info.

She was reported as missing from a girls group home, then located at 902 15th Avenue E, and was reported missing by a member of staff. There is no original copy of the report, so verrrry little information.

Only physical attribute not mentioned in NamUs is that she had a "medium" skin tone. Also, name is given as Susan A Caldwell.

DOB is given as February 27, 1970.

Between 1987 and 1991, they checked and came up totally with checking with: Social Security, Department of Labour, Kings County Jail, the hospital, phone listings. They also in 1991 asked for information from the Green River Task Force, and there was no useful information. This may have prompted police to think that it may not have been her real name. By 1991, the member of staff that had reported her missing had moved out of state, and the group home had briefly closed, then changed name and ownership. Now it's a private house.

There is so little information! Not even a picture? Brown hair, brown eyes, no noted distinctive scars, etc. I wonder what type of group home?
DD/MI, troubled youth, corporate foster?

There is so little information! Not even a picture? Brown hair, brown eyes, no noted distinctive scars, etc. I wonder what type of group home?
DD/MI, troubled youth, corporate foster?

No photo - they may have not even had one originally! No idea what kind of group home sadly... Until some point in 1987, it was called Stewart Hall, then at some point later in 1987 was taken over by the YMCA. Here's the article, which is actually from 1990 about another shelter taking over the building.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900227&slug=1058306

I would infer from the article, that they most likely were emergency/temporary shelter for adolescents. Currently they would be referred by the county, so WA state or county human/social services would be my best guess for records - an old ISP or case notes. Even possibly civil judiciary records. Unfortunately, after a certain amount of time those old documents, especially with closed cases, seem to be purged from systems.
I would have guessed that a case manager might have been involved regardless since it was a group home. I would just feel so much better if there was at least a picture of this poor woman. Thank you for finding her name, her story and starting a thread.

I would infer from the article, that they most likely were emergency/temporary shelter for adolescents. Currently they would be referred by the county, so WA state or county human/social services would be my best guess for records - an old ISP or case notes. Even possibly civil judiciary records. Unfortunately, after a certain amount of time those old documents, especially with closed cases, seem to be purged from systems.
I would have guessed that a case manager might have been involved regardless since it was a group home. I would just feel so much better if there was at least a picture of this poor woman. Thank you for finding her name, her story and starting a thread.

From the report I received, by 1991 the police could not find anything about her. It's possible that she ran away from the shelter shortly after arriving. So even by 1991 there was no more information... Anyway, it's possible that she used a fake name, ran away, and now has a happy life under her real name. Hopefully!

The group home this 'Susan' ran away in November of 1987 was given to the local YMCA sometime in 1987 per the seattletimes.com article. Since November is the 11th month of 1987, her stay must have been short? She could have decided to 'screw it' and bail since the group home was going to be dissolved.

Susan Caldwell sounds familiar for some reason.

The group home this 'Susan' ran away in November of 1987 was given to the local YMCA sometime in 1987 per the seattletimes.com article. Since November is the 11th month of 1987, her stay must have been short? She could have decided to 'screw it' and bail since the group home was going to be dissolved.

Susan Caldwell sounds familiar for some reason.

As far as I understood from the article, the shelter was run by YMCA at some other point in 1987. I don't know if it was closed or dissolved at any point in 1987. But the change-over might have made it even harder to get any information by 1991, when LE looked at the case again. Basically in 1991 it was determined that they had exhausted all avenues or leads.

ETA: After some digging, I've found that as Stuart Hall, the group home accommodated young women 16-20/21. In one listing it says that it was for young women that were unable to live at home, in another it specifies mentally ill. No idea about it's YMCA reincarnation 1987-1988.

As far as I understood from the article, the shelter was run by YMCA at some other point in 1987. I don't know if it was closed or dissolved at any point in 1987. But the change-over might have made it even harder to get any information by 1991, when LE looked at the case again. Basically in 1991 it was determined that they had exhausted all avenues or leads.

ETA: After some digging, I've found that as Stuart Hall, the group home accommodated young women 16-20/21. In one listing it says that it was for young women that were unable to live at home, in another it specifies mentally ill. No idea about it's YMCA reincarnation 1987-1988.

So Susan could possibly was either a runaway, had bad parents, or suffered from a diminished mental capacity.

It also said they had to close within the year because the building was in poor shape. They renovated it before opening in 1990. You know what happens in renovations...everything gets thrown out. We could have lost evidence if police didn't find squat.

Seems like to me the best course of action is to advertise heavily so potential guests/witnesses at the time this Susan disappeared can come forward. And track down the person who reported Susan missing.

I tried to look up the public property records on the address, but the search queries were a bit complicated because I'm not local and have no clue on how to search the parcel/zone that belongs at the address of this former group home.

I came across this no-info NamUs profile recently:
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7028/92/

I've seem her name mentioned in another thread as a possibility for someone, but there is no info on her, and also a mysterious note that it might not even be her real name. I've asked the Seattle PD for some records and info, and they have obliged. Unfortunately, there's still not more info.

She was reported as missing from a girls group home, then located at 902 15th Avenue E, and was reported missing by a member of staff. There is no original copy of the report, so verrrry little information.

Only physical attribute not mentioned in NamUs is that she had a "medium" skin tone. Also, name is given as Susan A Caldwell.

DOB is given as February 27, 1970.

Between 1987 and 1991, they checked and came up totally with checking with: Social Security, Department of Labour, Kings County Jail, the hospital, phone listings. They also in 1991 asked for information from the Green River Task Force, and there was no useful information. This may have prompted police to think that it may not have been her real name. By 1991, the member of staff that had reported her missing had moved out of state, and the group home had briefly closed, then changed name and ownership. Now it's a private house.

I found Susan years ago; below is some of the history in CA - Huntington Beach, WhtFem 40UFCA, 18-30, maybe named Andrea, Apr'90' thread. It wasn't known if it was her name or not so we wondered if she was our Doe

02-17-2013, 08:44 PM #506

I want to dump this here to see what else I can find
Susan Caldwell
NamUs MP # 7028

Susan Caldwell
No_photo
King County, Washington
17 year old white female
NCMEC number 1149792
Date last seen November 13, 1987

Very little information; Caldwell may not be true name
I was just checking the HS yearbooks for her yesterday. I couldn't find anything.

Im done for the night. May need to call the LE about her. I saw another profile that was similar but blue eyes.
I dont see missing persons listed on Seattle police

Found a Washington State Patrol Missing Persons Information Center

Article Photos: Washington's cold case missing persons

Another spelling Andrya
Wish we could find out more information about missing Susan Caldwell

Bumping this thread for the woman we know as "Susan."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics