GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

IMO and based on my experience following cases in Wake County, there isn't all that much difference in time to trial between a LWOP case and a death penalty case.

Expect *at least* 2 years either way, and possibly longer. I've seen cases take 3 years to get to trial after arrest and it was not a DP case. Justice is not swift in this state or county. It's a big county and there are a lot of crimes, and on top of that there are backups due to covid as well. IMO

i have family that cared for andy deeply. i never met him but this case has absolutely devastated me from the moment he went missing. i’m thankful (my boyfriend is not) that in my moments of sheer anxiety about andy i had this page to check back on when the news wasn’t updated and there are other strangers that cared
so much. i have lost family members but can’t imagine losing them this way... i know there is a memorial today and i weep for everyone there.
I’m so sorry for your loss - clearly Andy was a great guy who’s life was stolen over a car-

jmo

When are we looking at for a trial, given the current environment and backlog — at least a year?
Here in Wake County, NC, it usually takes about 2 years to get to trial for murder. Add possibly a few more months due to Covid-caused current backlog, and that it is apparently going to be a capital case.

Two years or more is about average for many states -- I am basing that on what I have seen here on Websleuths for many, many murder cases.

I'm hoping the accused will plead and take LWOP if the DA accepts that alternative.

i have family that cared for andy deeply. i never met him but this case has absolutely devastated me from the moment he went missing. i’m thankful (my boyfriend is not) that in my moments of sheer anxiety about andy i had this page to check back on when the news wasn’t updated and there are other strangers that cared
so much. i have lost family members but can’t imagine losing them this way... i know there is a memorial today and i weep for everyone there.
Thank you for your post -- I'm sure many here agree with what you have said. It is indeed devastating, certainly for his family and friends, and here by folks who did not have the good fortune to have known him. A very tough loss for so many.

One more thing on a more upbeat note:

Welcome to Websleuths,
monkeytown !!

{HUGS}
I am sorry that you and your family, and Andy's friends and family have to go through this.
It is NOT fair, it is NOT right that this happened to Andy.
I am glad you found WS and have a place you can come to so you can catch up and also to share your feelings.

Here's what we have so far on Merritt WRT the Wake County, NC, Court dockets -- Please note that all are in "District Court," so it probably isn't that big a deal. As we know, the big procedures, etc., are all in Superior Court.

District and Superior Courts of WAKE County
Listing: 1 - 9 09/18/2020

searchagain.gif

Court................Defendant
.......................Date of Birth
Court Date.....Court Room
....Session...Case Number
Citation Number

District ...MERRITT,JUSTIN,FERNANDO............01/01
09/18/2020...............JAIL..................PM........20CR214286
District MERRITT,JUSTIN,FERNANDO...............01/01
10/07/2020..............JAIL ...................AM.......20CR214120
District MERRITT,JUSTIN,FERNANDO..............01/01 10/07/20..................JAIL..................AM.........20CR214141
District MERRITT,JUSTIN,FERNANDO..............01/01 10/07/2020.............JAIL..................AM..........20CR214142

------------------------------------​
Source:
Calendars / District and Superior Court Query
Just tagging @Niner
Maybe Niner can add court dates for us to the daily court hearings??
Thanks as always for your help and keeping us up to date with court hearings and all :)

The more I think about it, IMO, JM didn't care about his own family either long before he cruelly murdered sweet Andy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has caused his own family much grief through the years.

His criminal history shows he is not one who cared about his family even though they cared about him. JM cared about JM.

He thumbed his nose at the law that all felons are supposed to follow. No one knows the criminal justice system any better than felons who have broken laws that put them in the criminal justice system.

He knew it was illegal for him to have any kind of deadly weapon in his possession, but it's obvious JM believes rules, and following laws did not apply to him even before he murdered Andy.

I do hope LE fully investigates where he got his illegal firearm, and from whom. Whoever gave or sold him the firearm should also be held fully accountable. They had to know his criminal background before he came into possession of it. If they did not know, they would have simply told him to legally purchase the firearm himself in his name along with going through the FBI criminal background check required when buying a legally owned firearm. It is a federal crime for a felon to have firearms, and whoever made it possible for him to illegally have one should also be charged, imo.

I'm not sure he had help. He didn't need help in murdering a defenseless man in cold blood, and stealing his vehicle.

He could have showed up telling Andy he planned to purchase the vehicle then, and after the transaction was completed he planned to drive it home. He may have told Andy he would be bringing cash. Andy never knew the man who met him was deadly dangerous.

BUT if he did have help in any form whatsoever everyone who assisted him needs to be held fully accountable too.

I believe all along JM premeditated killing Andy. He knew he couldn't steal his vehicle then leave Andy alive to call the police, and be able to identify him.

If anyone else was involved they too can be charged with murder just like JM. We have seen several capital murder cases where someone else was also charged with capital murder even though they weren't the ones who murdered the victims in a robbery, kidnapping, rape etc. but were in the middle of committing any type of felony with the murderer.

Jmho
BBM-- especially if the "other" person is a convicted felon also.

Thinking of Andy and his family and friends today !!!

Prayers for Andy and his family. This is so senseless, I can't even wrap my head around this, over a car? a car? My God my heart hurts!!

Forget life in prison, death penalty is needed, imo have to start removing these types of criminals not giving them 3 hots n a cot. JMHO

Monkeytown, please let the family know, there are people who care. If I can help/donate, please let me know where.

This is a local very small newspaper and is just a few miles from the scene. They were alert very early and were on the scene as this unfolded.

EXCLUSIVE: Investigators reveal where Banks's body was found

Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office Investigator Rick Baxter this afternoon exclusively showed the Star-Tribune the exact location where Raleigh and Pittsylvania Police together found the body of William "Andy" Banks.

Baxter and his team found the body at 3800 Irish Road in Chatham.

The remains were found laying in the tall grass.

Banks's body is being transported to Roanoke Memorial Hospital for an autopsy, Baxter said.

More at story...
It seems LE was able to locate Andy because the guy didn’t toss his cell until after he’d disposed of the body, and the phone pinged for 20 minutes at that location. Thank God for stupid criminals.

It seems LE was able to locate Andy because the guy didn’t toss his cell until after he’d disposed of the body, and the phone pinged for 20 minutes at that location. Thank God for stupid criminals.

Yep, and they were able to locate Andy's phone because he didn't turn it off before he tossed it out between Raleigh and Durham, so his friend was able to keep pinging it by calling the number. As I said many posts up, JM is evil, but he is not likely to ever be described as 'smart'.

Just tagging @Niner
Maybe Niner can add court dates for us to the daily court hearings??
Thanks as always for your help and keeping us up to date with court hearings and all :)

I don't mind helping out & I have started gathering information on this case since I have not followed this case. I see he had an arraignment on Friday, 9/18. And since I can not access North Carolina court sites, I'll need some help from someone following this case.

Anyone know "when" his next court date is? TIA! :)

I don't mind helping out & I have started gathering information on this case since I have not followed this case. I see he had an arraignment on Friday, 9/18. And since I can not access North Carolina court sites, I'll need some help from someone following this case.

Anyone know "when" his next court date is? TIA! :)
I don't know if this will work for you , but I'll try it. Trythe link below and follow instructions for,
Going to Court | North Carolina Judicial Branch

FIND MY COURT DATE

In the DEFENDANT line , type, Merritt,Justin and hit search,

it will bring up 4 different lines with his name, click and see each individual charge and court date.

They have the murder charge for 9/18 and the other 3 charges for 10/7. I guess we have to wait until 10/7 to see when they will proceed with all of it combined. They most likely had the one for murder on 9/18 first so that the bond could be raised to reflect that charge. Cash 2 mil.

Court Dates | North Carolina Judicial Branch

Last edited:
I don't know if this will work for you , but I'll try it. Trythe link below and follow instructions for,
Going to Court | North Carolina Judicial Branch

FIND MY COURT DATE

In the DEFENDANT line , type, Merritt,Justin and hit search,

it will bring up 4 different lines with his name, click and see each individual charge and court date.

They have the murder charge for 9/18 and the other 3 charges for 10/7. I guess we have to wait until 10/7 to see when they will proceed with all of it combined. They most likely had the one for murder on 9/18 first so that the bond could be raised to reflect that charge. Cash 2 mil.

Court Dates | North Carolina Judicial Branch

Well - I got thru to search for the person, but then it just kept swirling & came up with "Problem loading page".

So - can I put your name down for my "go-to" person for this case? :)

And as I understand it - he has a hearing on 10/7 for possession of a stolen vehicle, additional charges of larceny of a motor vehicle, armed robbery & possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

and the murder case has no next date. TIA! :)

Just confirming what was already known, but the body found has now been positively identified as that of AB. Also, his friends held a candlelight remembrance vigil last night in the K&W parking lot that he disappeared from.

Body found in rural Virginia confirmed as Raleigh man Andy Banks :: WRAL.com
From the article:
After finding Banks' cellphone along Interstate 40 in Raleigh on Sunday, investigators traced the Craigslist buyer's phone to Danville.

And:
“[CC], who has known Banks since kindergarten, said his friend frequently used Craigslist to sell things and that he knew how to protect himself.

‘This was the middle of the day on Saturday. There’s people walking by on foot. There’s cars everywhere. He probably picked that place because it was the ideal place to meet,’ CC said. ‘All I can think is they overpowered him during a test drive. Who knows, maybe they overpowered him as soon as they got there. Maybe they tased him or whatever.’

Banks was a real-life Ferris Bueller, his friend said, referring to the character in a 1980s movie for whom everything always works out well.

‘[He's] fun-loving and clever and can find his way out of situations,’CC said. ‘In this situation, he would have done absolutely anything he could have to talk his way out of it. He would have gladly given them the vehicle. He would have tried to give them money. He would have done anything for them not to hurt him.’ ”

And:
“During a search of Merritt's home, police seized a handgun, some ammunition, a knife, three phones, a pair of cargo pants and other items, according to the search warrant.“

‘This was the middle of the day on Saturday. There’s people walking by on foot. There’s cars everywhere. He probably picked that place because it was the ideal place to meet,’ CC said. ‘All I can think is they overpowered him during a test drive. Who knows, maybe they overpowered him as soon as they got there. Maybe they tased him or whatever.’

IMO

The moment you get into some rando's car or allow them in your car and you get in and leave with them for whatever reason, including just a simple test drive, safety precautions have been thrown out the window. You could be in the middle of the busiest street surrounded by people and it wouldn't matter; if rando stranger pulls a weapon on you then your life is in immediate danger.

Protocol for safety in selling a vehicle does not put the seller in a vehicle with a potential buyer, even if that practice has been done before with no negative consequences.

Sanford Strong, retired police detective, became famous in the 90's when he appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show and pointedly told the audience, "never let them take you to a second location, ever." Once a stranger has control of your car and you're in it, they could easily take you to that second scene, and then they are in complete control.

/IMO

Last edited:
Just saw this -- the article was updated early this morning:

Local News
Body found in rural Virginia confirmed as Raleigh man Andy Banks
Posted September 17, 2020 3:26 p.m. EDT
Updated September 19, 2020 6:34 a.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — A body found in rural Virginia is confirmed to be that of a Raleigh man who has been missing since last weekend. Raleigh police have charged a suspect in the case with murder.

More here:

Body found in rural Virginia confirmed as Raleigh man Andy Banks :: WRAL.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck