KY KY - Sheila Anita Cooper, 34, Paducah, 10 Oct 1986

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Sheila Anita Cooper[/h]
  • sheila_anita_cooper_1.jpg
Cooper, circa 1986

• Missing Since 10/10/1986
  • Missing From Paducah, Mccracken County, Kentucky
  • Classification Missing
  • Age 34 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'0, 100 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Dangly earrings.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes. Cooper may use the name Sheila Cooper Tinsley. Her ears are pierced and she has a light scar on her left cheek.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Cooper was last seen in Paducah, Kentucky on October 10, 1986. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

http://charleyproject.org/case/sheila-anita-cooper

NAMUS spells her name: Shelia

Circumstances: family has not heard from or seen Shelia since 10-10-1986

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9746/

Missing Person / NamUs #MP9746
Shelia Anita Cooper, Female, White/Caucasian
7BC04E2B-04F2-4C9C-92BA-3D5CAE04D825.jpeg
Missing Since: October 10, 1986
Location Last Seen: Paducah, McCracken County, Kentucky
Height: 5'0”
Weight: 100 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Green
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Sheila Cooper Tinsley
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Light scar on left cheek, pierced ears
Clothing & Personal Items: Hanging type earrings

Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Sheila was last seen in Paducah, Kentucky at 5:00 p.m. on October 10, 1986. Her family has not seen or heard from her since then. Few details are available in this case.

Investigating Agency:
Paducah Police Department (270) 444-8550
Agency Case Number: 24R86689

Sources:

NamUs
The Charley Project
The Doe Network

7C91CFD1-914F-4436-8C09-187F2C4685A8.jpeg
Name:
Shelia Cooper
Yearbook Date: 1969
School: Paducah Tilghman High School
School Location: Paducah, Kentucky, USA
Grade Completed: Sophomore

Makes me so sad to see very little information available on Sheila’s disappearance :(

My friend's mother went missing in October 1986. When we were about 14, we made promises to each other to solve her case and my grandmother's murder. We tried several times over the years. Sadly, my friend passed away 4 years ago. Im still trying to find answers for him, myself and his family. His aunt, Sheila's sister, is completely ok with me continuing my search. All I really have is the link to Sheila Anita Cooper – The Charley Project . Ive requested info through our police dept, using the FOIA forms. Still waiting for those. Although, the information will be limited bc the case is still active Just cold. Im at a loss as to what else I could do.

My friend's mother went missing in October 1986. When we were about 14, we made promises to each other to solve her case and my grandmother's murder. We tried several times over the years. Sadly, my friend passed away 4 years ago. Im still trying to find answers for him, myself and his family. His aunt, Sheila's sister, is completely ok with me continuing my search. All I really have is the link to Sheila Anita Cooper – The Charley Project . Ive requested info through our police dept, using the FOIA forms. Still waiting for those. Although, the information will be limited bc the case is still active Just cold. Im at a loss as to what else I could do.

Welcome @KSue80 and my condolences on the loss of your friend and your grandmother.

Do you know if Sheila's sister has given DNA to law enforcement? Has she done DNA testing with any commercial companies in order to research her family tree etc? That data can then be uploaded to websites that use genealogy to identify deceased persons. (DNA for police and DNA for genealogy are two different processes and used in different databases - please excuse me if I'm repeating information you already know.)

We are here to help, just ask. Sheila's sister is also welcome here. You will see a member here @MadMcGoo has made a lot of posts here. She is working on a project to try and identified unidentified deceased persons in KY. You may wish to take a look at her spreadsheet and see if you think there are any cases that might match to Sheila. The link is
www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/project-kentucky-unidentified-persons-cold-cases.498883/page-13#post-16359575

Last edited:
Welcome @KSue80 and my condolences on the loss of your friend and your grandmother.

Do you know if Sheila's sister has given DNA to law enforcement? Has she done DNA testing with any commercial companies in order to research her family tree etc? That data can then be uploaded to websites that use genealogy to identify deceased persons. (DNA for police and DNA for genealogy are two different processes and used in different databases - please excuse me if I'm repeating information you already know.)

We are here to help, just ask. Sheila's sister is also welcome here. You will see a member here @MadMcGoo has made a lot of posts here. She is working on a project to try and identified unidentified deceased persons in KY. You may wish to take a look at her spreadsheet and see if you think there are any cases that might match to Sheila. The link is
www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/project-kentucky-unidentified-persons-cold-cases.498883/page-13#post-16359575
Thank you for providing the link! :)

And yes, we are all here to help!

Rule outs from NamUs
Not sure how these UPs were excluded because Doe Network states she has no identifiers. Hopefully that's changed recently and she at least has DNA

UP15616
07/29/2016
Gwinnett
GA

UP6279
12/18/1996
Fairfax
VA

UP12683
06/06/2014
Newport News
VA
UP6661
02/03/1991
Stafford
VA

UP6279
12/18/1996
Fairfax
VA

UP8493
12/06/1993
Fairfax
VA

I really do not know much on how to use this site but throwing this out there for other users. I don't know how many are still missing in Paducah but what I do know is this week a lady drove into the river and as they were retrieving her car they found another. However, it doesn't appear that they will be pulling that out. It's a big river and could have come from anywhere but just throwing out the info that at the end of Broadway at the Ohio River in Paducah there is a car down there. :( and I'm not sure what kind. This woman is the only one I could recall off the top of my head that was missing.

Rule outs from NamUs
Not sure how these UPs were excluded because Doe Network states she has no identifiers. Hopefully that's changed recently and she at least has DNA

UP15616
07/29/2016
Gwinnett
GA

UP6279
12/18/1996
Fairfax
VA

UP12683
06/06/2014
Newport News
VA
UP6661
02/03/1991
Stafford
VA

UP6279
12/18/1996
Fairfax
VA

UP8493
12/06/1993
Fairfax
VA
View attachment 225570
Name: Shelia Cooper
Yearbook Date: 1969
School: Paducah Tilghman High School
School Location: Paducah, Kentucky, USA
Grade Completed: Sophomore

Makes me so sad to see very little information available on Sheila’s disappearance :(

@AlleyCat2021
Welcome aboard. Thank you for the heads up.
If this is the same incident, this article states the search for the woman's car was hampered by multiple other cars found in the river. Yikes! I hope they peeked inside to make sure they were all empty. I also hope she gets the help she needs, as it appears she drove into the water deliberately.
The search for this particular car was slowed down considerably, workers say, by other cars also found by divers in the water.
Car recovered from Ohio River at Paducah

Wow. So many cars! I hope they plan to investigate further.

Even if they couldn't haul them all up, they could have divers look inside them, if they haven't already.

It's my understanding there will not be an attempt to look into any of this further. Maybe I'm mistaken. No idea if they noted makes and models or even looked inside! :(

Is her first name spelled Shelia or Sheila?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back