Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, Saltburn, Dec 1992

Does anyone else find it telling that instead of tenting off the entire back garden they have chosen to just focus on a specific spot?

What factors that decision? Will they have screened over the ground with a penetrating radar before hand and detected something out of the ordinary?

Could be just strategic placing to block photos as much as possible, or could be specific to that part of the garden.
Sorry, I didn't help much there did I :)

I can see an accident. An argument that turned physical and went too far and then self-preservation kicked in. It was right after Christmas, remember. Lots of enforced family time and holidays can be so stressful under the best of circumstances.

I'd like to know when Steven was last seen by someone other than family. A neighbor, any mates from his training program, did he have a carer?

Could be just strategic placing to block photos as much as possible, or could be specific to that part of the garden.
Sorry, I didn't help much there did I :)

You did help, it was welcome input :). Just another good point that a user made early in this thread, surely they have looked for DNA on the anonymous letter, notably the stamp they mentioned? I thought it was a great comment, I can't imagine the police will have neglected that... I hope.

Edit: credit to Marg from Oz for the stamp comment

Last edited:
33372378-0-image-a-2_1600521135932.jpg

Bit of a paradox here, as far as I can see.

LE has put up a tent to shield their activities from the view of neighbours and passers-by. Now whether the exact location would be underneath the tent, or in the rest of the garden, does not really matter.

Anyone who wanted to hide a body in that garden, a tall body too, would be in full view of the neighbours' upper windows and how would they explain a bit of gardening in mid-winter? especially when they would have to dig a hole the size of a grave for a tall grown up? That is a lot of hard work.

Surreal all this.

33372378-0-image-a-2_1600521135932.jpg

Bit of a paradox here, as far as I can see.

LE has put up a tent to shield their activities from the view of neighbours and passers-by. Now whether the exact location would be underneath the tent, or in the rest of the garden, does not really matter.

Anyone who wanted to hide a body in that garden, a tall body too, would be in full view of the neighbours' upper windows and how would they explain a bit of gardening in mid-winter? especially when they would have to dig a hole the size of a grave for a tall grown up? That is a lot of hard work.

Surreal all this.

wait a few months ? put up a summer house

The part of me that really wants to see the good in people is wondering if there's any possibility that poor reporting after 28 years could have contributed to the really bad impression of the mother's (lack of) actions - it seems so so obvious to all of us that she should have checked the toilets before leaving, with apparently little concern for her son! Could it be that actually she did check, ask passers-by etc, but as it seems irrelevant today, it's just not being mentioned? Unlikely, I know, but the whole thing really doesn't add up, even many people who are known to be responsible for deaths of family members made more effort to feign concern...

Apologies if anyone already linked contemporary reports that I've missed (the oldest I recall seeing was from 2010 which is still fairly distant from the original events) which corroborate the seeming lack of action, it was just a thought I had, mainly because I feel a bit harsh in feeling as negatively about the family as the information we've been given leads me to do, while still lacking solid evidence.

I'm also really curious why it's suddenly popped up now, too, wonder what set the police off investigating it. Maybe just a routine look over cold cases and someone said "why didn't this get looked into properly?" (perhaps the Margaret Fleming case last year set some wheels in motion regarding checking on missing disabled people in particular), or perhaps some new intelligence unmentioned so far? Just seems odd that it's attracting so much focus now when it seemingly was not paid much attention at the time.

Snipped from your post above @Kasmeer

Could it be that actually she did check, ask passers-by etc, but as it seems irrelevant today, it's just not being mentioned

----------------------------

This is a direct quote from Steven's mother, made last week when she was arrested.

Recalling the day he went missing, she added: “I stood directly in front of the exit, I don’t know for how long. I was there for quite a long time, just wondering what had happened to him.

People say why did you not go in? But you would not for a 23-year-old man.

Parents' 'nightmare' as they are quizzed over son's alleged murder

from Kasmeer post above

I'm also really curious why it's suddenly popped up now, too, wonder what set the police off investigating it. Maybe just a routine look over cold cases and someone said "why didn't this get looked into properly?"

-------------------------------

That would be my best guess. They've had the letter since 1999 and yet no major action taken at that time, far as I know, so I do think someone has realised, belatedly, that more could and should have been done.

It would be interesting to look at the local papers printed just after Steven went missing to see if anything else was reported. I wonder if the story of him being awarded apprentice of the year ,just before he went missing was printed in the local paper,this might give more details about him as a person.

Did the story get printed in any National paper?
Were there police searches,did local people get involved in searching,asked to check their sheds and out buildings.Were people out that day asked to contact the police?

We have not heard whether he had any money on him to buy a bus or train ticket .

Is it possible to look at archived papers from the time he disappeared?

It would be interesting to look at the local papers printed just after Steven went missing to see if anything else was reported. I wonder if the story of him being awarded apprentice of the year ,just before he went missing was printed in the local paper,this might give more details about him as a person.

Did the story get printed in any National paper?
Were there police searches,did local people get involved in searching,asked to check their sheds and out buildings.Were people out that day asked to contact the police?

We have not heard whether he had any money on him to buy a bus or train ticket .

Is it possible to look at archived papers from the time he disappeared?
I tried to see what I could find of older articles, but had very little luck. Only those two or three articles already linked. Someone with a newspaper archive subscription may be able to find more. I'd like to try a few other methods and see if I can find anything. Some of the local papers that carried the story and are now publishing newer articles about the recent interest may have some links to older stuff. 1992 was like the olden days as far as newspapers online. I was reading news on bulletin boards back then.

ETA: The Northern Echo archives go back to '95. Going to try some bigger papers, The Guardian, The DM, see if they have older archives.

Last edited:
No luck with The Gaurdian, DM or Manchester Evening News as far as old articles, at least without a subscription.

What are some local TV or radio stations?

More I think about it, more I conclude...

What was the motive?

Without motive Im leaning towards no parental involvement, despite perceived oddness actions originally.

Im possibly naive.

The prospect of having a disabled adult child living with them for the rest of their lives would be challenging for some. He may have been easier to cope with as a child, when they were younger.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back