Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if Barry Morphew ever is charged with an offense, his attorneys will have plenty to work with. Remember: The TOS do not allow sleuthing of persons, including family members. Trial counsel will have no such restraint & will be able to try to impeach the credibility of the State's witnesses. S/He will also be able to introduce other theories about who may have harmed Suzanne using witness testimony, which -- again -- is something we cannot do here.
I would add that we have a very sparse information set to work with and much of it would not be admissible as evidence before a jury (e.g. general studies of femicide, the investigative significance of search warrants, the refusals to take polygraphs, the mere accusations of criminal history).

Moreover, WSers do what juries are not permitted to do: we speculate and hypothesize, like investigators generating lines of inquiry. I think this can have value in many ways. However, I find it scary that some fail to recognize the limited scope of information we have and the speculative nature of our discussions, and have convinced themselves of BS's guilt. I suspect that projection and confirmation bias may be at work, and I would ask each WSer to reflect on that possibility.

The public has nowhere near the evidence needed to prove that BS killed his wife. Many of the vignettes of BS that we examine are, in fact, equivocal when examined by one applying the presumption of innocence. When we hear that TD observed BS near the river, dripping wet, distraught, slumped over the steering wheel, those who have formed a strong belief in BS's guilt may see a man who just checked to see if SM's body was where he left it, and found to his chagrin that the river had taken her downstream where she might be discovered. The person who applies the presumption of innocence sees a man exhausted after desperately searching the river at great peril to himself, hoping against hope that he finds SM, or at least evidence of her, caught on the rocks and branches.

I love you all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Taking him to court might also get her blackballed from the industry.
I once didn't sue for age discrimination in a case that I would have clearly won because my husband's boss told me this very thing. I now wish that I would have sued. I was not the one in the wrong.

He should be the one who has a black mark next to his name if he defaults on paying his help.

Well, if Barry Morphew ever is charged with an offense, his attorneys will have plenty to work with. Remember: The TOS do not allow sleuthing of persons, including family members. Trial counsel will have no such restraint & will be able to try to impeach the credibility of the State's witnesses. S/He will also be able to introduce other theories about who may have harmed Suzanne using witness testimony, which -- again -- is something we cannot do here.
I'm not sure if I completely follow. I agree, we are not allowed to sleuth anyone who is not a suspect or POI.

We are allowed to discuss any statements made by those that agree to interview with approved MSM sources. Granted, we don't know and can't sleuth anything about their backgrounds. LE does however have complete access to significant data/electronic evidence that will either prove or their statements.

IMO, SM's family and friends have much more damning evidence to contribute, and I doubt they'll fail any character references..

JMO, MOO, etc.

I once didn't sue for age discrimination in a case that I would have clearly won because my husband's boss told me this very thing. I now wish that I would have sued. I was not the one in the wrong.

He should be the one who has a black mark next to his name if he defaults on paying his help.

Sadly, this is true in some labor driven industry's. There is a big difference between being an employee and a sub-contractor in terms of pay, benefits and rights.

Who is willing to stand up to the bully.....unless everyone does.

JMO, MOO

I would add that we have a very sparse information set to work with and much of it would not be admissible as evidence before a jury (e.g. general studies of femicide, the investigative significance of search warrants, the refusals to take polygraphs, the mere accusations of criminal history).

Moreover, WSers do what juries are not permitted to do: we speculate and hypothesize, like investigators generating lines of inquiry. I think this can have value in many ways. However, I find it scary that some fail to recognize the limited scope of information we have and the speculative nature of our discussions, and have convinced themselves of BS's guilt. I suspect that projection and confirmation bias may be at work, and I would ask each WSer to reflect on that possibility.

The public has nowhere near the evidence needed to prove that BS killed his wife. Many of the vignettes of BS that we examine are, in fact, equivocal when examined by one applying the presumption of innocence. When we hear that TD observed BS near the river, dripping wet, distraught, slumped over the steering wheel, those who have formed a strong belief in BS's guilt may see a man who just checked to see if SM's body was where he left it, and found to his chagrin that the river had taken her downstream where she might be discovered. The person who applies the presumption of innocence sees a man exhausted after desperately searching the river at great peril to himself, hoping against hope that he finds SM, or at least evidence of her, caught on the rocks and branches.

His alibi is beyond shoddy.

His behavior is inexplicable.

If we are to believe Andy, the vehicle GPS contradicts Barry’s account, and Suzanne suddenly stopped communicating mid conversation.

Then Suzanne goes dark, and BM last sees her in bed early Sunday Morning.

Then he heads to a job site, which reeks of alibi building. Nothing was done to set up the job for his workers, he left the wrong tools, and left his room stinking of chlorine.

When he arrives on scene, BM all but declares his wife dead, pushing this insane mountain lion story. A story that defies all common sense, as mountain lions don’t typically toss bikes, and leave no trace of themselves and their victim. The average person knows this, and a hunter and outdoorsman even more so. Still, he’s pushing this garbage, despite knowing better.

The CBI and FBI descended quickly, apparently realizing that something was very wrong with the picture they saw.

They didn’t release a missing poster like in the Berreth and Watts cases. They didn’t start holding daily press conferences, or doing any of the things they always do when an abduction is suspected. I don’t think they were making a guess here.

What they did do, is execute two search warrants on the home, and spend 3 days excavating Barry’s job site.

Since then we’ve seen a man acting contrary to human nature, who refuses to do the one thing that really matters in a missing persons case (utilizing the media to get the word out).

Instead of appealing to the public to find his wife though, he’s more concerned with defending himself.

I’ve seen this before. Incidentally, all those guys are in prison.

I couldn’t possibly care less about Barry’s wet t-shirt contest in the river, or whatever else TD saw. There’s plenty more to care about, and draw an inference from.

I wonder if prison commissaries have peanut butter?

The Poncha Springs Market is by the Poncha Springs Fire Dept. building - is that building still there, as the image on Googley Maps is from 2012 - was thinking maybe Barry was loitering by the Fire Dept. building also, what with being a volunteer and all, he may have been able to have access and 'borrow' and later return something?
ETA building was there in 2018
I made the same speculation.

If we are to believe Andy, the vehicle GPS contradicts Barry’s account, and Suzanne suddenly stopped communicating mid conversation.

Then he heads to a job site, which reeks of alibi building. Nothing was done to set up the job for his workers, he left the wrong tools, and left his room stinking of chlorine.

When he arrives on scene, BM all but declares his wife dead, pushing this insane mountain lion story. A story that defies all common sense, as mountain lions don’t typically toss bikes, and leave no trace of themselves and their victim. The average person knows this, and a hunter and outdoorsman even more so. Still, he’s pushing this garbage, despite knowing better.

The CBI and FBI descended quickly, apparently realizing that something was very wrong with the picture they saw.

They didn’t release a missing poster like in the Berreth and Watts cases. They didn’t start holding daily press conferences, or doing any of the things they always do when an abduction is suspected. I don’t think they were making a guess here.

What they did do, is execute two search warrants on the home, and spend 3 days excavating Barry’s job site.

Since then we’ve seen a man acting contrary to human nature, who refuses to do the one thing that really matters in a missing persons case (utilizing the media to get the word out).

Instead of appealing to the public to find his wife though, he’s more concerned with defending himself.

I couldn’t possibly care less about Barry’s wet t-shirt contest in the river, or whatever else TD saw. There’s plenty more to care about, and draw an inference from.

“What they did do, is execute two search warrants on the home, and spend 3 days excavating Barry’s job site.

^^That was the turning point for me. The moment it went from a possible stranger abduction to a murder case. With one prime suspect.

BBM

You mean, destroy their credibility.

I'm glad at times this doesnt work.

In the kidnapping trial of Tammy Moorer, her cousin, Donald Demarino, testified about a photo he allegedly saw of Heather Elvis. Demarino said he saw the photo while at a family BBQ smoking a cigarette with Sidney.

When asked if he believed anyone would hear from Elvis after seeing the photo, he said 'no'.

The defense asked Demarino about his past use of drugs and his criminal record.

The defense tried and failed to destroy his credibility. Tammy Morrer was sentenced to 30 years.

Right. Impeachment sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. In the Tammy Moorer case, IMHO, Demarino's testimony was made more credible (at least in part) by Tammy Moorer's clear hatred of Heather (texts, FB posts).

I'm not saying your impressions of BM or his alibi are wrong, that your speculation is improper, or that LE doesn't have evidence-based reasons for its searches and its focus on BS. In fact, I have great respect for your experience, your instincts, and your analyses about this case.

My point is that we should remind ourselves to reserve final judgment on BS's guilt until we have actual evidence showing where SM died, when, and how, and that BM had motive, means, and opportunity. Forensic evidence will be vital for that, and we haven't seen any of it. We have only secondhand rumor quoted in MSM for some of it.

If you have evidence to support your conclusory statements above, lay it out and let the defense lawyers among us do what defense lawyers do. That may be illuminating and lead to further lines of inquiry.

Right. Impeachment sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. In the Tammy Moorer case, IMHO, Demarino's testimony was made more credible (at least in part) by Tammy Moorer's clear hatred of Heather (texts, FB posts).

Here's the thing:

Unsavory characters tend to associate with other unsavory characters.

Jurors understand that.

JMO.

Here's the thing:

Unsavory characters tend to associate with other unsavory characters.

Jurors understand that.

JMO.
True. It seems like Barry has strict requirements when it comes to employment.

Of course by “strict requirements,” I mean that one must be a “meth head,” or have served prison time.

Its like “Bizarro World,” or something.

Of course we know that Barry is prone to exaggeration, and may not be good friends with something called “the truth.”

If Barry Morphew is ever charged with an offence, not only will his attorneys have plenty to work with so will the DA :) According to TOS, we the members are not allowed to sleuth BM or his associates. The DA will have no such restraint and will be able to expose BM for the sack of dirt husband he was. Not to mention the sack of dirt employer he was/is! JMHO

All of this. Sign me up as a MG fanclub member.

Thx Massguy! For doing your Massguy thing!

The public has nowhere near the evidence needed to prove that BS killed his wife
I completely agree with the entirety of your post.

oviedo said:
Is there a store that sells bleach in Poncha Springs???

Since it's a small town, maybe. But, it was May and COVID-19 had caused shortages everywhere of many items, including bleach.

I live in the Vegas valley and we weren't able to purchase bleach until the month of August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288