Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Fauci says they protect - based on research that shows the eyes are another entry way into the body.

However, I don't know that there's tons and tons of research on this. People who don't wear glasses might want to get clear lenses or blue blockers for work places that involve being around people indoors.

Flushing toilets in public restrooms may be a hazard, goggles are supposed to help.

Here are a couple of articles:

The eye: “an organ that must not be forgotten in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-2019) pandemic” - hdl:20.500.12010/11091

Potential modes of COVID-19 transmission from human eye revealed by single-cell atlas

I don't mind posting the links at all - if it helps people feel more protected. I know a lot of us are super-cautious.

Do you wear goggles/safety eyewear over prescription glasses? Safety glasses with side shields? I have prescription safety glasses that I’ve worn in many locations, but I haven’t used “over eyeglasses” goggles. I’m just curious what you’ve found effective or comfortable to wear,

Last edited:
U.S. Covid-19 death toll surpasses 200,000

“Now, many experts are making another ominous prediction: A surge in the number of new infections in the fall and winter, combined with growing fatigue over social distancing and other public health measures, could result in more than 415,000 deaths in the U.S. by January, according to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, or IHME, at the University of Washington.“

Last edited:
Michigan residents urged to stay indoors as scientists race to deal with threat of rare mosquito-borne disease

OMG

I am in Michigan. What else? Covid, Flu...

Now.....

Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) ... Come on already..!!!!

I am going to watch a comedy.

"No honey not Dexter, not science fiction ancient aliens, not ghost stories, let's watch a comedy...!"
(John Candy, Chevy Case, Goldie Hawn)

Gotta admit, that I am watching "Too Cute" on the Roku. That is as much as I can manage right now.

The digital library staff has thoughtfully put all sorts of books available about "Stress Management" online, Libby App. It makes me laugh. I used to think that I had "stress". It is almost laughable now.

“Now, many experts are making another ominous prediction: A surge in the number of new infections in the fall and winter, combined with growing fatigue over social distancing and other public health measures, could result in more than 415,000 deaths in the U.S. by January, according to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, or IHME, at the University of Washington.“

Oh no :(

One thing that I find really lovely in your linked article is Brooklyn NY trying to show respect by publicly naming the deceased. I wonder if any other areas are trying to do similar, to display great respect, and show others that 200,000 people is not only a listed statistic.
It is a project called Naming The Lost.

upload_2020-9-20_14-4-17.png

Last edited:

One thing that I find really lovely in your linked article is Brooklyn NY trying to show respect by publicly naming the deceased. I wonder if any other areas are trying to do similar, to display great respect, and show people that 200,000 people is not only a listed statistic.

View attachment 264323

This reminds me of how many people rallied behind FDNY and other entities post 9/11, and honored the frontline heroes who sacrificed their lives.

I wish we could have seen more of this wrt to our frontline health workers.

This reminds me of how many people rallied behind FDNY and other entities post 9/11, and honored the frontline heroes who sacrificed their lives.

I wish we could have seen more of this wrt to our frontline health workers.

I guess somehow the Naming The Lost project got pushed to the background by media (or not pushed to the foreground). IMO

I now see they had a week of mourning from Sep 7 -11 for all covid victims.

Their webpage says they have memorials "from Portland to Austin to Brooklyn". And they have one in Schenectady.

xx2.JPG

A Labor of Mourning: September 7 - 11, 2020 | New York Folklore

Gotta admit, that I am watching "Too Cute" on the Roku. That is as much as I can manage right now.

The digital library staff has thoughtfully put all sorts of books available about "Stress Management" online, Libby App. It makes me laugh. I used to think that I had "stress". It is almost laughable now.

(Babies and animals are on constant rotation on my YT. Highly recommended.)
I guess somehow the Naming The Lost project got pushed to the background by media (or not pushed to the foreground). IMO

I now see they had a week of mourning from Sep 7 -11 for all covid victims.

Their webpage says they have memorials "from Portland to Austin to Brooklyn". And they have one in Schenectady.

View attachment 264327

A Labor of Mourning: September 7 - 11, 2020 | New York Folklore

“Starting on Monday, September 7 and running through Friday, September 11, people throughout the country will create grassroots memorials dedicated to naming the lost who have died from Covid-19. In homes and yards, on street corners and stoops, in cities from Portland to Austin to Brooklyn, these memorials make our grief visible. This “labor of mourning” is initiated by Naming the Lost Memorials, a group of artists, activists, and folklorists who have been making public awareness memorials in New York City since May. They invite people everywhere to join them in making memorials during the week that begins with Labor Day on September 7 and ends with the 19thanniversary of September 11, 2001, when spontaneous memorials arose throughout New York City in response to the deaths of nearly 3,000 New Yorkers in the attack on the World Trade Center.“

One thing that I find really lovely in your linked article is Brooklyn NY trying to show respect by publicly naming the deceased. I wonder if any other areas are trying to do similar, to display great respect, and show others that 200,000 people is not only a listed statistic.
It is a project called Naming The Lost.

View attachment 264323

Here’s a little more about the Naming The Lost project. It’s intended to be ongoing in different locations. Unfortunately, their website link is inactive...it’s either a dud or hasn’t been set up yet. I messaged them about it on their Instagram site.

Making Memorials: Naming The Lost Continues to Honor Those Lost to COVID-19

Michigan residents urged to stay indoors as scientists race to deal with threat of rare mosquito-borne disease

OMG

I am in Michigan. What else? Covid, Flu...

Now.....

Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) ... Come on already..!!!!

I am going to watch a comedy.

"No honey not Dexter, not science fiction ancient aliens, not ghost stories, let's watch a comedy...!"
(John Candy, Chevy Case, Goldie Hawn)

I'm in Michigan too- the good thing is that it is getting colder here now - it was 34 here last night so most people won't be going out after dark---

Why are we so complacent? A perspective:
US coronavirus deaths are at 200,000, predicted to be 415,000 by early 2021. As a comparison:

WWI = 116, 516
WWII = 291, 557
Vietnam = 58, 209
Civil War = 618, 222
us coronavirus deaths - بحث Google

US auto deaths = 36, 560 (2018)
Motor vehicle fatality rate in U.S. by year - Wikipedia

Population at the time of the event, plus duration of the event, have to be taken into consideration in order to make a comparison.

Each of those wars lasted for years. Covid has been in the US for less than one year. Plus, the population of the US during each of those wars was much different than it is now.

Population at the time of the event, plus duration of the event, have to be taken into consideration in order to make a comparison.

Each of those wars lasted for years. Covid has been in the US for less than one year. Plus, the population of the US during each of those wars was much different than it is now.
Agreed, but the population for each of the wars was not complacent. Seems like the US population no longer cares.

US coronavirus deaths are at 200,000, predicted to be 415,000 by early 2021. As a comparison:

WWI = 116, 516
WWII = 291, 557
Vietnam = 58, 209
Civil War = 618, 222

To put the number of war deaths vs the number of Covid-19 deaths into even sharper perspective, consider how many years each war lasted vs the seven+ months (since the first U.S. death on Feb 6) it has taken to reach 200,000 deaths. And now it’s predicted that we may reach 415,000 deaths in three or four more months...more than doubling the number of deaths in half that time. Let that sink in. It’s truly shocking...or should be.

WWI 1917-18
WWII 1941-45
Vietnam 1964-75
Civil War 1861-65

U.S. coronavirus deaths now surpass fatalities in the Vietnam War
JMO

Last edited:

WWI = 116, 516
WWII = 291, 557
Vietnam = 58, 209
Civil War = 618, 222

I would estimate that a quarter of the American population does not believe this is a serious illness, that it is exaggerated: some believe it is a hoax: others believe that many of these deaths are not really from Covid (they don't understand that covid is the cause of death with co-morbidities like diabetes)- some think it is just like the flu - many believe even if it is serious, it is only old people that die, so old people should stay at home and we as a country should get back to normal life----- I believe that a good deal of that portion of the population, are, shall we say, not too bright, and have no concept whatsoever of what a pandemic is and the mode of transmission--- it is obvious: i was reading about those bikers in Missouri (can't recall the city)- comments like " i ain't afraid of no Covid - 19"--- comments like that make you realize there are quite a few dim bulbs in our society.

To put the number of war deaths vs the number of Covid-19 deaths into even sharper perspective, consider how many years each war lasted vs the seven+ months (since the first U.S. death on Feb 6) it has taken to reach 200,000 deaths. And now it’s predicted that we may reach 415,000 deaths in three or four more months...more than doubling the number of deaths in half that time. Let that sink in. It’s truly shocking...or should be.

WWI 1917-18
WWII 1941-45
Vietnam 1964-75
Civil War 1861-65

U.S. coronavirus deaths now surpass fatalities in the Vietnam War
JMO

What's the answer? How do we get people to take this virus seriously?

Agreed, but the population for each of the wars was not complacent. Seems like the US population no longer cares.
Hopefully those who don't care are just a vocal minority.

Masks are not required when out in public by our city but a poll was taken by our local paper and approximately 70% of the residents said that masks should be required. However, reading the local comments about masks, one would think most people were against them. The latest was a few days ago when some people were demanding the library re-open and masks not be required.

I'll never understand the adamant refusal to wear a mask.

I've learned a new word, "cyberchondria".

From the article:

[...] misinformation - spreading rapidly through social media - poses a serious threat to the COVID-19 response.

Our findings suggest a person's trust in online information and perceived information overload are strong predictors of unverified information sharing. Furthermore, these factors, along with a person's perceived COVID-19 severity and vulnerability influence cyberchondria.

Why do People Share Misinformation during the COVID-19 Pandemic?

Yes, I agree that a significant portion of the population must be very complacent. If they weren't, the virus would not be spreading at the rate that it is still spreading. imo

Yesterday, there was still 42,533 new cases. Every day seems very similar. Which means many people are still infecting others, who are infecting others, who are infecting others ......

One third of the total US cases (36.5%) - since this all began - are active now. Recent cases.

United States Coronavirus: 6,968,918 Cases and 203,844 Deaths - Worldometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member