Health, Hygiene and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinion | You're not the only one who can't keep track of the days right now. Here's why.

Our perceptions of time have never been static, but you're not alone in feeling like you can't keep track of the days right now.

“Are we still meeting today at 10?” I emailed a colleague at 10:05 a.m. last Tuesday.

She quickly replied, “We’re not meeting today. Our meeting is on Tuesday.”

I had to think about it for a moment, because I’d thought for sure it was Tuesday; still, I didn’t trust myself. I checked my phone, and it was indeed Tuesday. Before I could even reply to tell her, she replied to me: “Oh my God! Tuesday is today!”...

I'm so relieved to read this. I've been occasionally forgetting which day of the week it is. If it's a busy week, its not a problem. But when nothing much is going on, we're staying at home most days, I occasionally have to check. Usually, the week seems to go pretty fast. It's our appointments and regularly scheduled activities outside the home that keep us aware of times/dates.

So, $777 for the new crown. I put 1/2 on my credit card and when the permanent crown comes in, I will put the other 1/2 on my credit card. Medicare did pay for the visit and x-rays tho. It's just money right? I can't take it with me.

If it makes you feel any better, over the last year and a half I have spent over 21k (yes that's right) between bone grafts, gum surgery, implants, new crowns, and new fillings. I do not have dental coverage with my insurance. And I was vigilant about going to the dentist regularly, little did I know that my old dentist was doing subpar work and I was basically a big mess. Now I am at the Dentist every three months getting perio maintenance and I'm only 50.

If it makes you feel any better, over the last year and a half I have spent over 21k (yes that's right) between bone grafts, gum surgery, implants, new crowns, and new fillings. I do not have dental coverage with my insurance. And I was vigilant about going to the dentist regularly, little did I know that my old dentist was doing subpar work and I was basically a big mess. Now I am at the Dentist every three months getting perio maintenance and I'm only 50.
I totally believe that. I know you’ll be so happy to finish that and have a beautiful smile.

When I went into foster care at 7-8 years old, they had to put me to sleep to remove rotten teeth and salvage what they could. I learned what a toothbrush was that year.

I have spent at least $10k over the past few decades getting my teeth fixed, bone graft, root canals, caps, etc. I was so close to to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel when I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Now I can’t do anything but maintain what I have. I always swore I would never have dentures and I don’t. Grateful for small blessings.

No, I have become such a couch potato now. It is crazy. I never go anywhere, or do anything. This pandemic has really changed me. We don't travel any longer. We don't go out to dinner. This is the first summer that we didn't take any trips.

Ski season is coming up, they closed the resorts in March. I am looking forward to this year.

This pandemic is a buzzkill. I have become unmotivated.

You are not alone.

No, I have become such a couch potato now. It is crazy. I never go anywhere, or do anything. This pandemic has really changed me. We don't travel any longer. We don't go out to dinner. This is the first summer that we didn't take any trips.

Ski season is coming up, they closed the resorts in March. I am looking forward to this year.

Couch potato here too... I feel like I should accomplish so much more than I actually do each day. I feel guilty if there’s a dirty dish in the sink!! Today I organized my garage and I feel so accomplished. LOL!

Attachments

• 83CBE20E-6C97-41D7-9D42-AD394F92B0EF.jpeg
    83CBE20E-6C97-41D7-9D42-AD394F92B0EF.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 23
Couch potato here too... I feel like I should accomplish so much more than I actually do each day. I feel guilty if there’s a dirty dish in the sink!! Today I organized my garage and I feel so accomplished. LOL!

:) Yup, that cartoon is me, sitting in my recliner. This would be a good addition to the Smiles thread too!

Do I ever know that feeling! And working from home seeme a double whammy for me - I live close enough to my actual workplace to bicycle several plus times a week but no more. if I do bicycle it's on weekends (when it's not raining) or after 5 PM if it's not raining. And pretty soon it'll be too dark for bicycling. Unfortunately, it is very dangerous to bicycle at night where I live, even though I have a "headlight" and "rearlight" on my bicycle.

We've consigned to taking road trips though, through nearby rural areas (get to see the livestock, horses, farms, etc) in Florida. Even though I've had weekends where I feel like sleeping all day I manage to get up and do something besides housework....

DH made his second trip to the health club (pool) yesterday. There were two people in the therapy pool and one other person swimming laps. This is very unusual for a Sunday when DH would ordinarily have to wait for a swim lane (there are four). It seems that folks are reluctant to return to the health club. DH rarely goes upstairs to the gym floor/walking track, so he doesn't know what attendance is like in that area of the health club. He has a medical appointment on Wednesday and is taking the afternoon off. He will probably swim again as the health club is next door to the outpatient medical building. I'll ask DH to make a trip upstairs to see how many people using the gym.

Last edited:
DH made his second trip to the health club (pool) yesterday. There were two people in the therapy pool and one other person swimming laps. This is very unusual for a Sunday when DH would ordinarily have to wait for a swim lane (there are four). It seems that folks are reluctant to return to the health club. DH rarely goes upstairs to the gym floor/walking track, so he doesn't know what attendance is like in that area of the health club. He has a medical appointment on Wednesday and is taking the afternoon off. He will probably swim again as the health club is next door to the outpatient medical building. I'll ask DH to make a trip upstairs to see how many people using the gym.

My gym has reopened but I don't think it's safe to go, even with the changes they have made. I asked to have my membership frozen for another 3 months (on top of the 6 months they were closed). If at some point I change my mind, I can go back. Of course at age 75, I'm more risk averse than younger folks. On the other hand, my recliner potato behavior at home is not doing me any good physically.

Also, my massage therapist is talking about reopening her practice, but I have concerns about indoors close contact for more than 20 minutes or so, even with both of us wearing masks. She does have contact with her daughter and grandson, so that adds to my concerns. Any thoughts? Am I overly cautious?

CDC says new guidance on airborne coronavirus transmission was ‘posted in error’

On Friday, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) posted an update to guidance on COVID-19 that said the virus could be spread through the air through aerosolized droplets.

On Monday, the CDC walked back the update, claiming it was posted erroneously.

“A draft version of proposed changes to these recommendations was posted in error to the agency’s official website. CDC is currently updating its recommendations regarding airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19). Once this process has been completed, the update language will be posted.”

The information has been removed from the CDC coronavirus website...

My gym has reopened but I don't think it's safe to go, even with the changes they have made. I asked to have my membership frozen for another 3 months (on top of the 6 months they were closed). If at some point I change my mind, I can go back. Of course at age 75, I'm more risk averse than younger folks. On the other hand, my recliner potato behavior at home is not doing me any good physically.

Also, my massage therapist is talking about reopening her practice, but I have concerns about indoors close contact for more than 20 minutes or so, even with both of us wearing masks. She does have contact with her daughter and grandson, so that adds to my concerns. Any thoughts? Am I overly cautious?

I was a member of Beaumont Health Club for several years but suspended my membership two years ago. I mostly attended classes in the gym studio - Zumba, Dance Fit, Walk-Fit-Stretch, small group training sessions, etc. Some classes were very crowded, and I wasn't comfortable with so many "bodies" long before the pandemic. Registration is now required for all classes so there is proper social distancing among participants. I never attended spinning classes but noticed that the "bikes" were very close together to accommodate as many participants as possible in the cycle studio. Likewise, yoga classes. I suspect that members need to register for these classes now, too, because the studios won't accommodate as many people with proper social distancing. I would not feel safe even with the measures that have been put in place: Limits in class size (must register for each class), special cleaning protocols, etc.

I was never comfortable using the locker room and only did so if I went to a class in the aquatic center (Gentle Joints in therapy pool or Aqua Fit in the lap pool). I never really liked using machines in the gym and would be skeptical about the safety even with serious sanitizing measures being taken. I always wiped equipment before and after I used it, but many members never bothered. Members are now supposed to wipe all equipment, but I doubt that everyone will comply. If you're not comfortable about returning to your gym, don't go. I have no plans to renew my membership in the foreseeable future.

I like facials/decollete treatments but never really liked full body massages. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a massage at this time.

Last edited:

The CDC guidelines are what I follow. I try to limit all contact directly with people to less than 15 minutes and further than 6 feet.

The only people I allow into my "circle" is my husband, my daughter, and a friend. So, I think that the less people you have on your "Contact Circle" list, the less likely you are to contact Covid.

This doesn't mean that either of those three people couldn't get Covid and give it to me. Probably my daughter is the most active, and I only see her every few months.

I feel like the gym is going to be really a risk factor for me. That opens me up to a lot more contacts. And honestly, it just isn't worth to me.

CDC stumbles again, mistakenly posting 'draft' guidance on airborne Covid spread

The agency now says Friday's guidance was posted "in error."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has walked back information posted on its website just three days ago, which stated Covid-19 can spread through aerosolized droplets.

The CDC now says Friday's guidance was posted "in error," and that new information will be issued shortly. The move is yet another misstep for the nation's leading public health agency, which recently reversed its guidance for the second time on testing asymptomatic people for the coronavirus...

CDC says new guidance on airborne coronavirus transmission was ‘posted in error’

On Friday, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) posted an update to guidance on COVID-19 that said the virus could be spread through the air through aerosolized droplets.

On Monday, the CDC walked back the update, claiming it was posted erroneously.

“A draft version of proposed changes to these recommendations was posted in error to the agency’s official website. CDC is currently updating its recommendations regarding airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19). Once this process has been completed, the update language will be posted.”

The information has been removed from the CDC coronavirus website...
Eyeroll.. this is my problem with experts. I have top respect for what they do & fully understand this is a new & different virus- and that of course there is a learning curve. But so much of safety is common sense. All these quivering updates give me a headache. We plan to err on the side of caution. Ventilators and big hospital bills scare us. Jmo, moo, mvho, etc.

My oldest felt so stir crazy on Saturday, she walked to the park along the bay and picked up all the trash she could find. She said she just needed to feel productive. She is a marine biologist and working from home just doesn't go in the same sentence!

Sunday, she returned to the gym. She spoke to them about their less busy times. She wants to be as safe as she can and has to be well in order to go on the offshore research trips. Plus, I don't want her to put her life on hold for me. She is an hour south but if there was an emergency, she'd be here immediately. I won't see her until October or November when all the offshore trips and hurricane season is over anyway.

Gyms in TO seem to be spreading COVID around like its water. They are cleaning but the attendees are not always distancing properly and some places certain staff seem to not be wearing masks, ie the managers.

Not sure if sweat is a 'contagion' but as a body fluid, I'd stay away from it too.

I have been going to physio therapy, twice a week but I am in an examining room with the window open for 15 minutes and she wears tons of PPE. As a high risk patient, I do not wish to be on a table beside other people chatting away. The only thing I do not like is the elevator, its small and stuffy but I am unable to do the stairs at the moment. Might take a break this week, I do have the pages of necessary exercises to do at home.

Totally agree about the sedentary behaviour but COVID has made me much more 'introverted' and with injuries, its hard to do a lot of ordinary activities.

'Twindemic' looms as pandemic slides into flu season

In other coronavirus news: Trump says we're "rounding the corner," some kids return to NYC classrooms, and a biker rally in Missouri could become a "superspreader."

Covid-19 infections were trending upward again Monday in the United States as thousands of students returned to New York City classrooms and public health experts warned that a “twindemic” could be on the horizon as we head into flu season.

Two days after the U.S. recorded its 200,000 Covid-19 fatality, the number of confirmed cases in the country was closing in on 7 million and accelerating, according to the latest NBC News figures.

The seven-day average of new coronavirus cases in the U.S. dipped below 40,000-per-day for the first time since June on Sept. 11, the day America marked the 19th anniversary of the Al Qaeda terrorist attacks.

By Friday it was back over 40,000 again, according to an NBC News tally...

Yesterday my couch potato butt got outside and did the “pick up sticks” routine. I have 2 huge oaks and 1 huge dead holly tree. On windy days, I trot around, collect them, pile them up and on trash day put them at the curb. Sometimes people will stop and pick up the tied bundles for kindling. I had 4 big bags and used the dolly to roll and drop them.

I’m just waiting for a hurricane to blow this holly tree over. The problem is, it will block the road. The county will chainsaw it up to clear the road but I’m responsible for it after that. I have a love hate relationship with my trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88