FL FL- Florence Cline, 75, permanently dilated eye, few details available, Wauchula, 5 July 1995

aThousandYearsWide

Reaction score
Florence Cline
  • cline_florence.jpg
Cline, circa 1995

• Missing Since07/05/1995
  • Missing FromWauchula, Florida
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth06/16/1920 (100)
  • Age75 years old
  • Height and Weight5'0 - 5'3, 105 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Gray hair, blue eyes. One of Cline's pupils is permanently dilated.
Details of Disappearance
Clines was last seen in Wauchula, Florida on July 5, 1995. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.
Investigating Agency
  • Hardee County Sheriff's Office 863-773-0304
Source Information
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Florence Cline – The Charley Project

So much information is missing.

Did she live alone?
Stay with family?
A dependent adult in a nursing home?
Any details of time of disappearance?
Where she was last seen?
Who last saw her?

IMO if she was living with family she could be a social security fraud victim. First glance I saw her as a candidate for this Doe's case before I checked dates.

1462UFFL - Unidentified Female
1462UFFL.jpg
1462UFFL1.jpg
1462UFFL4.jpg

Reconstruction by Samantha Steinberg; decedent's jewelry.

Date of Discovery: April 11, 2012
Location of Discovery: Key Biscayne, Miami-Dade County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: 1992-2005
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Undetermined

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 60-80 years old
Race: Unknown
Sex: Female
Height: 5'0" to 5'6"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Possibly had a small mouth in comparison to the width of her face.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Extensive dental work.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Pullover Express Tricot top, size large and Express Tricot skirt, size large (possibly a matching set), satin bra, panties and a slip (possibly size 27).
Jewelry: Beaded, two-strand necklace, yellow-metal ring and a large bangle bracelet.
Additional Personal Items: A blanket and pillow

Circumstances of Discovery
On April 11, 2012, the decedent's skeletal remains were discovered at Bill Baggs State Park at 1200 S. Crandon Blvd on Key Biscayne in Miami, Florida.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: District 11 Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Brittney McLaurin
Agency Phone Number: 305-545-2400
Agency E-Mail: brittm(at)miamidade.gov
Agency Case Number: 2012-0894

Agency Name: Miami-Dade Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Det. Parmenter
Agency Phone Number: 305-715-3300
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: PD120411137849

NCIC Case Number: U950026348
NamUs Case Number: 10162

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Samantha Steinberg
FLUIDDB
Miami-Dade County Police Department

1462UFFL

She looks very similar to the recons!

I was almost wondering how far back to look in her case being if it is social security fraud they may have reported her much later when people started catching on to her not being around.

Her picture looks like it may be from a ID or driver's licence. I wonder if it is possible to find out when it was issued to determine further what timeframe we are looking at.

Are we getting the impression this was recently reported? I'm guessing with Ss fraud, once the person is cresting 100, it gets suspicious.

That's interesting she has a headstone put up. It indicates she has a caring family. I searched that cemetery for other Cline's for some clues. Only found one named Willie. Born in 1917 and died in 1969. Could this be Florence's husband? Wow, that would mean she was widowed a long time.

Edit: Looked up her maiden name, Crews, and found several! Must be her immediate family's cemetery.

Last edited:
Are we getting the impression this was recently reported? I'm guessing with Ss fraud, once the person is cresting 100, it gets suspicious.
That's a good point!

I knew of a SS fraud case that was discovered after the SSA contacted him for a wellness check when he was approaching his 100th birthday. He supposedly lived with his son and grandson, but when authorities asked the grandson about his grandfather he said he never met him or lived with him. (I will try to find that case).

I did find another SS fraud case, her name was Marie Jost (she went missing along with her son Theodore), and she hasn't been seen since the 1980's but her social security checks were being cashed until 2012. The social security administration got suspicious after several failed attempts to directly contact her.

I found some more information on SS fraud crimes. This particular crime is called Deceased Payee Fraud (failure to report a death to the SSA and cashing their SS checks).

In 2012, the social security administration started investigating beneficiaries who are :
  • over 90 years old
  • haven't used their Medicaid in over three years.
If they can't reach them then they assume they are deceased. And then the fraud investigation begins.

How SSA and the OIG Investigate Deceased Payee Fraud | Office of the Inspector General, SSA.

Deceased Payee Fraud: Strange but True | Office of the Inspector General, SSA

I also found that they declare a missing person deceased after 7 years.

"When is a missing person presumed dead?
We presume a person is dead if he or she has been missing from home and has not been heard from for seven years or more. This presumption applies regardless of the reason for the absence.

Once the presumption applies, it can only be disputed if we:

1. Prove the person is alive; or
  2. Provide an explanation that explains the individual's absence and continued life."

SSA Handbook 1721

We need more information to determine if this is Florence's case. She would have turned 90 in 2010. I would like to know when she was reported as missing.

That's a good point!

I knew of a SS fraud case that was discovered after the SSA contacted him for a wellness check when he was approaching his 100th birthday. He supposedly lived with his son and grandson, but when authorities asked the grandson about his grandfather he said he never met him or lived with him. (I will try to find that case).

I did find another SS fraud case, her name was Marie Jost (she went missing along with her son Theodore), and she hasn't been seen since the 1980's but her social security checks were being cashed until 2012. The social security administration got suspicious afterMa
That's a good point!

I did find another SS fraud case, her name was Marie Jost (she went missing along with her son Theodore), and she hasn't been seen since the 1980's but her social security checks were being cashed until 2012. The social security administration got suspicious after several failed attempts to directly contact her.
Yes I researched Marie and Theo too in regards to the Berrien Doe lady.

Sorry for the double post, tried to fix it and my time had expired. I am trying to see if there are any Cline's from my area to tie to this Florence.

I wrote Florida Dept of Law Enforcement, mentioning the Berrien Jan Doe. I will update if I get any response back.

First pic is Florence, second unidentified lady from Berrien County Mi.

Attachments

• cline_florence.jpg
    cline_florence.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 129UFMI2.jpg
    129UFMI2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1
Her Charley page just had its case file added 9/9/20.

“Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 9, 2020; casefile added.“

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back