Netherlands - Dutch family living in basement 9 yrs, Ruinerwold, Drenthe Province, 15 October 2019

Thursday, September 17th:
*Interim Hearing (@ CET) – Netherlands – Dutch Family (Oct. 14, 2019, at Buitenhuizerweg in Ruinerwold, Drenthe Province) - *Josef B. (58) (Austrian) tenant of the property (& carpenter), was arrested on 10/17/19 & appeared in court (10/17/19). He is suspected of complicity in deprivation of liberty, mistreatment and money laundering. Money laundering charge was dismissed (4/6/20).
10/17/19 Update: Josef B, appeared before an examining magistrate on Thursday (10/17/19) and was detained for 14 days (Oct. 31, 2019)on suspicion of unlawfully depriving the children of their liberty and money laundering (tens of thousands of euros in cash was found at the farm).
*Gerrit-Jan van Dorsten aka John Eagles (67) (father) was arrested on Thursday (10/17/19) & appeared in court (10/21/19). He is suspected of complicity in unlawful deprivation of liberty, ill-treatment in the sense of damaging the health of others & money laundering. Money laundering charge was dismissed (4/6/20).
Court info from 10/17/19 thru 4/6/20 reference post #96 here:
Netherlands - Dutch family living in basement 9 yrs, Ruinerwold, Drenthe Province, 15 October 2019

5/31/20 Update: Hearing moved to July 2, 2020. The 3rd proforma session of the Ruinerwoldvcase will take place in Assen. According to both Public Prosecutor & lawyer, prime suspect Gerrit Jan van D. should already have been in the Pieterbaan center.
7/2/20 Update: Six children who would have been detained against their will by their father Gerrit Jan van D. & fellow suspect Josef B. strongly deny this. According to B.'s lawyer they could freely go wherever they wanted. This became apparent Thursday afternoon during a pro forma hearing in the court of Assen. The counsel therefore asked the court in Assen to release his client, who is still staying at the Pieter Baan Centre against his will. The Public Prosecutor opposes this. The public prosecutor said that the children testified no differently at the examining magistrate than at the police. Josef B. was also present in court & wanted to speak his mind towards the end of the hearing. The judges indicated that they would like to take some more time to consider a few points. One of them was whether Josef B. would be free to await the substantive hearing. The court will decide on Friday. 7/3/20: Josef B., one of the two suspects in the Ruinerwold case, will remain in custody for the coming three months. The court finds the case too serious to release the 59-year-old Austrian now. The next interim hearing is scheduled for Sept. 17. The court hopes to hear the substance of the case at the end of this year, beginning of next year.

@ZaZara - any updates on this case? TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

Verdachte Josef B. in Ruinerwold-zaak niet vrijgelaten

Josef B., one of the two suspects in the Ruinerwold case, will remain in custody for the next three months. The court finds the case too serious to release the 59-year-old Austrian now. He and prime suspect Gerrit Jan van D. (67) are suspected, among other things, of depriving nine Van D. children of their liberty for years.

B.'s lawyer Yehudi Moszkowicz said at a hearing yesterday that his client was unjustly detained because deprivation of liberty cannot be proven. He cited new statements from the youngest five children in the family. They recently declared to the examining magistrate that they could go wherever they wanted because the door was always open and they also had a key.

"The court has also read the statements and does not think that this should lead to a different verdict on pre-trial detention," the President of the court said today.

The statements differ from those of the oldest four, who did say that all children were deprived of their freedom by handyman B. and self-proclaimed 'patriarch' Van D. Not only for the last ten years in Ruinerwold, but also in their previous residences in Zwartsluis, Hasselt, Staphorst and Meppel.

B. has been staying at the Pieter Baan Centre (PBC) for three weeks for a personality assessment. This will be continued, RTV Drenthe reports.

Van D. would also be placed in the Judicial Observation Clinic, but due to his disability this is not possible. The PBC was supposed to analyse the interaction between the two men. Van D. suffered a cerebral hemorrhage a few years ago and is therefore paralysed on both sides. He is also no longer able to talk, which seriously complicates the investigation.

Van D. was arrested last autumn, but the police have still not been able to hear him. He is staying in a penitentiary hospital.

According to the Public Prosecutor's Office, his children lived in a kind of sect on his farm in Ruinerwold. Justice suspects that Van D. also mistreated his children. B. and Van D. are also alleged to have been guilty of depriving an Austrian man of his liberty in a house in Meppel.

The next interim hearing is scheduled for September 17. The court hopes to examine the case in substance at the end of this year, beginning of next year.

BBM

Thanks ZaZara! but...
in the last sentence of your post:
The next interim hearing is scheduled for September 17. The court hopes to examine the case in substance at the end of this year, beginning of next year.

So - what was reported - did not happen on 9/17 - ?? correct? Since they said "next" interim hearing IS scheduled for....

At least that is what I understand....

Thanks ZaZara! but...
in the last sentence of your post:

So - what was reported - did not happen on 9/17 - ?? correct? Since they said "next" interim hearing IS scheduled for....

At least that is what I understand....

Aagh.... wrong article! this one is from July 3!

*hides under the bed*

What can I say? The motions were so similar, on and on it goes.

December 10 is the new court date for Josef B.

Verdachte Josef B. in Ruinerwold-zaak blijft vastzitten

Josef B., one of the two suspects in the Ruinerwold case, will not be released. Lawyer Yehudi Moszkowicz had asked for his release because, in his view, Mr B. (59) is unjustly detained. He and Gerrit Jan van D. (68) are suspected, inter alia, of having deprived nine of Van D.'s children of their liberty for years.

The court finds the case too serious to release him, as became evident during an interim hearing this afternoon. According to RTV Drenthe, B. said he will go on hunger strike if his pre-trial detention is not suspended. "If you do not release me, I will go on hunger strike until I am dead.

B. will be detained for at least another three months. There will be another hearing in his case on December 10. "I'll probably be dead by then," said B. when he heard that decision.

During the interim session, it also became clear that the son of the Ruinerwold farm family, who last year disclosed the family living in isolation, gave about a hundred hours of footage of the family to the Public Prosecutor's Office.

The footage was found in the family's previous home, in Zwartsluis, that was recently emptied. The Public Prosecutor is currently having the images viewed by the police. It is not known whether there is any material that may be relevant in the criminal case against Gerrit Jan van D. (68) and Josef B. (59).

Both men are suspected, among other things, of having kept the six children of Van D. imprisoned. Van D. is also suspected of mistreatment of the six children and sexual abuse of two of his older children who did not live on the farm.

The past few months Van D. and B. have been examined in the Pieter Baan Centre (PBC). The investigation reports of both suspects are not yet ready. The Public Prosecution Service and the court want to await the results of the PBC's investigation to determine whether Van D. can be heard as a suspect.

Van D. suffered a brain haemorrhage a few years ago and is therefore paralysed on one side. He is also no longer able to talk, which makes the investigation difficult. The results are expected in mid-October, according to the judiciary.

The court has decided that a new hearing in the case against Van D. will be scheduled within six weeks' time. It will then be discussed whether or not he can be questioned. It is expected that the case will be dealt with in substance in February.

BBM

Niner, I double-checked the date one this one: last Thursday.

*back to bed*

"Back to bed" - hopefully NOT sick??!!

Thanks for the new info - very much appreciated!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

Hoofdverdachte Ruinerwold week geobserveerd in PBC: elke dag reis van 200 kilometer

Main suspect Ruinerwold under observation in PBC for a week: a daily journey of 200 kilometres.

AMSTERDAM - Gerrit Jan van D., the prime suspect in the notorious Ruinerwold case, was driven back and forth between the prison hospital in Scheveningen and the Pieter Baan Centre in Almere by special transport for a week. This solution - which amounted to about 200 kilometres every day - was chosen in order to be able to observe psychologically the 'patriarch' Van D., who has suffered a cerebral haemorrhage.

On Thursday, the fourth pro forma hearing in the Ruinerwold trial is scheduled in the court in Assen. Eleven months after the discovery of the 'ghost family' it is still uncertain whether the handicapped father understands what is happening. And whether he can be tried for deprivation of liberty, abuse and sexual abuse.

Lawyer Robert Snorn confirms that his client was driven back and forth for a week in July. He does not give any details because he does not yet know what the results of the investigation were.

Gerrit Jan van D. was both the father and the religious leader of his hidden family with five children that was discovered in a farm in October last year. A sixth child had fled and had asked for help at the village café. After the police invaded the farm, the world press threw themselves into the amazing story. Three children had already escaped 'prophet' Van D in previous years.

Usually, psychiatrists have to observe a suspect continuously for weeks in order to get a good overview. The short psychic examination at Van D.'s was a stopgap solution to give experts a look inside his head. In addition, it was questionable whether Van D. could be examined at all because of his poor medical condition.

In 2016 he suffered a cerebral haemorrhage and since then he has been partially paralysed and can no longer speak. His children cared for him until the family was discovered on the farm. The Austrian handyman and 'disciple' Josef B. took care of food all that time.

The court ruled at the beginning of this year that Van D. had to go to the Pieter Baan Centre (PBC), especially after the clinic had assured that it was sufficiently equipped to observe the main suspect, but this did not happen for a long time. It seemed that the investigation into his psyche would necessarily take place at the penitentiary hospital in Scheveningen.

However, there, psychiatrists would not be able to investigate the interaction between Van D. and fellow suspect Josef B. Josef B. was also in the PBC for some time, because the OM wanted to see how 'patriarch' and 'disciple' would react to each other. In this way they might assess whether B. was under the spell of the handicapped father, or whether he had simply taken over the mini-sect.

In any case, this observation failed miserably, because Josef B. refused to cooperate, says his lawyer Yehudi Moszkowicz. "He stayed in his room. This made it a pointless exercise for my client." B. has also left the PBC in the meantime.

Meanwhile Van D. is staying in the detention centre of Schiphol. He seems to be doing a little better. Where he used to lie, he now regularly sits in a wheelchair and is able to receive family there.

The court hopes to hear the substance of the case early next year. The big question is still whether it can be proven that Van D. held his children against their will. The children who were on the farm strongly deny this. Van D. is also suspected of sexual abuse and ill-treatment, including of the three children who had already fled the situation before the family took up secret residence on the farm in remote Drenthe ten years ago.

BBM

This article is from September 16, so before the hearing of September 17.

I don't know what to make of it. A slapstick of sorts. Laurel and Hardy would do this. One man partly paralysed, can no longer speak, is confused in his mind and is probably unaware of what is happening. And the other one remains in his room. What were those experts thinking??

Kinderen Ruinerwold: 'We missen sociale vaardigheden, maar we leren snel bij'

A letter from the five youngest children of Gerrit Jan van D., suspect in the Ruinerwold case, was read today at the hearing. The essence: they don't blame their father. "Now, after more than eleven months in Dutch society, we can also conclude that we have had a good education."

"Of course we do lack some social skills, but we learn quickly", the children write in the letter. "It is especially painful when people assume that we want nothing to do with our father. All five of us believe that our father has given us a good start in life."

Today another interim hearing on the Ruinerwold case was held. In the case, father Van D. is on trial together with handyman Josef B. as the main suspect. Among other things, the duo is suspected of years of depriving six of Van D.'s children of their liberty.

BBM

Friday, Nov. 20th:
*Verdict Watch Hearing (@ CET) – Netherlands – Dutch Family (Oct. 14, 2019, at Buitenhuizerweg in Ruinerwold, Drenthe Province) – only for *Josef B. (58/now 59) (Austrian) tenant of the property (& carpenter), was arrested on 10/17/19 & appeared in court (10/17/19). He is suspected of complicity in deprivation of liberty, mistreatment and money laundering. Money laundering charge was dismissed (4/6/20).
*Gerrit-Jan van Dorsten aka John Eagles (67now 68) (father) was arrested on Thursday (10/17/19) & appeared in court (10/21/19). He is suspected of complicity in unlawful deprivation of liberty, ill-treatment in the sense of damaging the health of others & money laundering. Money laundering charge was dismissed (4/6/20).
Court info from 10/17/19 thru 7/2/20 reference post #102 here:

9/17/20 Update: Josef B. will not be released. Lawyer Yehudi Moszkowicz had asked for his release because, in his view, Mr B.is unjustly detained. The court finds the case too serious to release him, as became evident during an interim hearing this afternoon. According to RTV Drenthe, B. said he will go on hunger strike if his pre-trial detention is not suspended. "If you do not release me, I will go on hunger strike until I am dead". B. will be detained for at least another 3 months. There will be another hearing in his case on December 10. "I'll probably be dead by then," said B. when he heard that decision. During the interim session, it also became clear that the son of the Ruinerwold farm family, who last year disclosed the family living in isolation, gave about a hundred hours of footage of the family to the Public Prosecutor's Office. The footage was found in the family's previous home, in Zwartsluis, that was recently emptied. The Public Prosecutor is currently having the images viewed by the police. It is not known whether there is any material that may be relevant in the criminal case against Gerrit Jan van D. & Josef B. The past few months Van D. & B. have been examined in the Pieter Baan Centre (PBC). The investigation reports of both suspects are not yet ready. The Public Prosecution Service & the court want to await the results of the PBC's investigation to determine whether Van D. can be heard as a suspect. The court has decided that a new hearing in the case against Van D. will be scheduled within six weeks' time. It will then be discussed whether or not he can be questioned. It is expected that the case will be dealt with in substance in February.
10/27/20 Update: Defense attorney Robert Snorn: The court case against Ruinerwold father Gerrit Jan van D. has to be stopped. He cannot be brought to trial because he suffers from aphasia, a form of brain damage that seriously disrupts his speech & understanding of words. That is what his lawyer Robert Snorn said this afternoon in the court in Assen. These conclusions from the report of the Pieter Baan Centre. Experts from that centre examined Van D. last summer. Four years ago Van D. suffered a brain haemorrhage & since then he has not been able to talk & is also physically handicapped. The court thinks it is too early to stop the criminal case against Van D.. The judges or one of them will visit the main suspect in the Ruinerwold case at the Schiphol detention centre, where he is remanded in custody. There will then be another hearing in the Asser court at which four experts who examined Van D. will be heard. They are a psychologist, a psychiatrist & speech therapist & a clinical neuropsychologist. It is not yet known when this hearing will take place. The case against fellow suspect Josef B. will in any event continue on 10 December. There will then be another interim hearing, at which the state of the investigation will be discussed. For Joseph B. verdict is expected to be read on 11/20/20.

@ZaZara - did I get that wrong - ^^ about a verdict to heard about Josef B? I see in my notes that the case is to be heard on 12/10.

?? Did I miss something?? TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif.pagespeed.ce.ql2rp-xM7d.gif

@ZaZara - did I get that wrong - ^^ about a verdict to heard about Josef B? I see in my notes that the case is to be heard on 12/10.

?? Did I miss something?? TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif.pagespeed.ce.ql2rp-xM7d.gif

Court decided to release Josef B from prison on 30-10-2020. He can await the trial in (relative) freedom.
Trial is planned for February 2021 but all depends on whether the father Gert Jan v.D. is found able to stand trial.

Court decided to release Josef B from prison on 30-10-2020. He can await the trial in (relative) freedom.
Trial is planned for February 2021 but all depends on whether the father Gert Jan v.D. is found able to stand trial.

Okay - thanks a bunch! And yes, I do have Gerrit Jan V.D. for a hearing in February, but with no date yet.

Okay - thanks a bunch! And yes, I do have Gerrit Jan V.D. for a hearing in February, but with no date yet.

Handyman Josef B. has a mind of his own. Tells the papers that this case has been blown out of proportion. "They should have marched those kids to the town hall, given them an ID and fined the father. And that should have been the end of it!"

IMHO, he has a point.

I see that you have put this case on verdict watch? Fat chance there will be no trial, and hence no conviction for Josef B. either.

Handyman Josef B. has a mind of his own. Tells the papers that this case has been blown out of proportion. "They should have marched those kids to the town hall, given them an ID and fined the father. And that should have been the end of it!"

IMHO, he has a point.

I see that you have put this case on verdict watch? Fat chance there will be no trial, and hence no conviction for Josef B. either.

Yes, I was mistaken on that Verdict watch.... :rolleyes: way too late to change it.

Thursday, December 10th:
*Interim Hearing (@ CET) – Netherlands – Dutch Family (Oct. 14, 2019, at Buitenhuizerweg in Ruinerwold, Drenthe Province) – only for *Josef Brech (58/now 59) (Austrian) tenant of the property (& carpenter), was arrested on 10/17/19 & appeared in court (10/17/19). He is suspected of complicity in deprivation of liberty, mistreatment and money laundering. Money laundering charge was dismissed (4/6/20). Released on 10/30/20 to await trial.
Trial set to begin sometime in February, 2021.
*Gerrit-Jan van Dorsten aka John Eagles (67now 68) (father) was arrested on Thursday (10/17/19) & appeared in court (10/21/19). He is suspected of complicity in unlawful deprivation of liberty, ill-treatment in the sense of damaging the health of others & money laundering. Money laundering charge was dismissed (4/6/20).
Court info from 10/17/19 thru 10/27/20 reference post #112 here:

11/19/20 Update: For Josef B. another hearing for JB on Dec. 10, 2020. Gerrit Jan Van D is expected that the case will be dealt with in substance in February, 2021.
11/20/20 Update: More info on the decision of the Court today. This clarifies why both parties may want to appeal, the defense having decided to do so already. According to the Maastricht Court, the following offences have been proven:
- Committing acts with a person under the age of 12 that involve sexual intrusion into the body. (not proven according to many experts, there are possibilities other than penetration).
- Deliberately depriving a person of their liberty, resulting in death. (cause of death has never been clarified, Prosecutor says suffocation and demanded a penalty for 'qualified manslaughter').
- Habitually possessing child *advertiser censored*. (resulting in an extra 6 months of prison) (wasn't part of the extradition request to Spain and IMO it remains unclear if permission from Spain has been received in time for this judgement).

Josef B. is fully imputable, according to the judge. He is fully responsible for the proven facts. Now that the Judge finds B. fully imputable, no TBS measure is imposed. (Prosecutor wanted a higher penalty if no TBS was imposed). The Verstappen family is entitled to compensation of EUR 6,000 with statutory interest, the court says, for, among other things, the costs of Nicky's funeral.
11/20/20 Update: Josef B. was released from prison on 10/30/20. Trial will be sometime in February depending upon if Gerrit Jan Van D can stand trial.

I have seen no mention of a hearing on December 10, 2020.

Aha! Rechtspraak.nl informs that the session was cancelled. A new date is not available.

If Gerrit Jan van D. is declared unfit to stand trial, the case against Josef B. may sizzle out as well. If it hasn't already of it's own account.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back