OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 Aug 2011, found deceased in 2013 *arrest in 2023* #5

It's been since last summer that J. Ryan Green concluded his podcast, "Gone at 21". And after that I don't feel like we are any closer to solving this than at the beginning of podcast. (He did bring to light possible lost opportunities by LE though.) Something else is going to have to happen here. Maybe the podcast will cause someone to remember something that they previously thought was not important.

Please continue here.

katelyn-markham.jpg

Katelyn Markham, 22, of Fairfield, Ohio was last seen by her fiancee the night of August 13, 2011. A $25,000 reward has been offered for information about Markham's disappearance. Her remains were found on April 7, 2013 near Cedar Grove, Indiana.

Previous Threads:

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Located Forum Media Links for Katelyn Markham

The link to Thread #1 (above) isn't getting me to it...additionally, I can't find thread #1 via search...just an observation, FWIW.

:JUSTICE: for Katelyn!!!!!!

Katelyn Markham death investigators in contact
with West Chester police after man’s arrest

BUTLER COUNTY — The arrest of a Liberty Twp. man and his past has prompted speculation about the unsolved homicide of a Fairfield woman.

Police say Michael Strouse is responsible for the death of 23-year-old Ellen Weik at his Liberty Twp. home. Strouse was charged with murder Saturday after a body, believed to be Weik, was found late Friday afternoon in a field on Millikin Road.

Weik went missing from her West Chester Twp. house on July 29.

Today, law enforcement officials involved in the ongoing investigation of the 2011 disappearance and subsequent death of Fairfield’s Katelyn Markham said they have been in contact with West Chester Police.

Photos surfaced on social media over the weekend of Markham with Strouse and other people.

Private eye: Similarities in West Chester, Markham slayings

Snipped...
...Carter said that Strouse has never been more than an acquaintance to him or, to his knowledge, to Markham. According to Carter, some of his friends are friends with Strouse, but that is the extent of the relationship. He said if Strouse had anything to do with Markham's death, he does not know anything about it.

When asked if Strouse was present the last night Markham was seen alive, Carter said he does not think so, but said there was a festival going on, so he cannot be sure. It's the same festival Carter mentioned in his initial 911 call when Markham was missing in 2011.

"The Sacred Heart Festival is going on right up the street, and there's just a lot of questionable people there," said Carter during the 911 call.

Would sure like to get SchoolgirlShamus's take on this possible development - when last I heard, she was working on a book about Katelyn's case. Has not been active here for almost two years though, evidently.

West Chester Police to discuss Ellen Weik's murder

Snipped...
...Investigators are also questioning whether Strouse could be linked to the unsolved murder of Katelyn Markham. Markham disappeared from her Fairfiled home in 2011. Her body was eventually found near Cedar Grove, Indiana in April of 2013.

However, Chief Herzog said Weik's murder is not linked to any other missing person's case at this point. He cautioned people about believing what they see on social media.

I always had my eye on her fiancee. Some things he reportedly did or things he was supposed to have said did not put him in a good light. I would not have been surprised if he was arrested. But then my thoughts on him as Katelyn's killer were not that strong either. There has always been a part of me that thought his actions and statements were those of a guy who didn't know how to handle losing Katelyn. Along that line of thinking, I would say to myself, "Why didn't this guy not get a lawyer from day one?" Not because he is guilty, but the opposite.

Still, if it turns out that Strouse was her killer I'm really going to feel bad for having those thoughts that JC was her killer.

I feel like the small connection made to Katelyn from Ellie's case was just a strange coincidence. If Katelyn had been stalked, we would have heard something. I may be wrong, but I am still leaning towards the more obvious answer with Katelyn. After all, the place where she was found was a huge glaring strobe to me. JMHO of course

:moo:

I always had my eye on her fiancee. Some things he reportedly did or things he was supposed to have said did not put him in a good light. I would not have been surprised if he was arrested. But then my thoughts on him as Katelyn's killer were not that strong either. There has always been a part of me that thought his actions and statements were those of a guy who didn't know how to handle losing Katelyn. Along that line of thinking, I would say to myself, "Why didn't this guy not get a lawyer from day one?" Not because he is guilty, but the opposite.

Still, if it turns out that Strouse was her killer I'm really going to feel bad for having those thoughts that JC was her killer.
LE had a POI back in 2016. Was Strouse even on the radar then? Or are there now 2 POI's?

How would you explain Katelyn's body being found near a place associated with the Carter family? I wonder if Strouse had ever been out to the Carter property with JC and his friends.

There was speculation at one point that JC had help after Katelyn's murder, IIRC. Knowing now some of the shady characters JC associated with, even if only through mutual friends (according to JC), I think there's a high probability he did get help after the fact.

IF JC murdered Katelyn and Strouse knew about it, even helping to hide the body, he may have become emboldened thinking someone he knows got away with murder so he could, too. Just a thought.

Also, it's weird how JC is always bringing up that festival when an interviewer starts questioning who Katelyn's killer might be. Deflecting suspicion, IMO. If he didn't kill Katelyn, I think he knows who did and was, at the least, and accessory.

MOO

LE had a POI back in 2016. Was Strouse even on the radar then? Or are there now 2 POI's?

How would you explain Katelyn's body being found near a place associated with the Carter family? I wonder if Strouse had ever been out to the Carter property with JC and his friends.

There was speculation at one point that JC had help after Katelyn's murder, IIRC. Knowing now some of the shady characters JC associated with, even if only through mutual friends (according to JC), I think there's a high probability he did get help after the fact.

IF JC murdered Katelyn and Strouse knew about it, even helping to hide the body, he may have become emboldened thinking someone he knows got away with murder so he could, too. Just a thought.

Also, it's weird how JC is always bringing up that festival when an interviewer starts questioning who Katelyn's killer might be. Deflecting suspicion, IMO. If he didn't kill Katelyn, I think he knows who did and was, at the least, and accessory.

MOO

I've heard differing versions of the body site. One is that is right off the road where one would drive if going from Fairfield to the Carter place. Countering that I've heard you have to take a slight detour to get there. I've never heard, though, in any version, if the Carter family used the site or were familiar with the site. (Of course, since dumping trash there would obviously be illegal, would they admit to it if they did use it?) It's probably somewhere in the facts of the case, but I don't recall if LE processed JC's vehicle. Sure her DNA and other forensic evidence would be there, but I wonder if they used a cadaver dog to go over the vehicle. Then again, if JC had help searching his vehicle may not do any good.

I never really saw a strong motive for premeditated murder. Still even doesn't rule him out. He or someone else talked using mushrooms at one time. What if he got them some bad stuff or she got too much of some illegal drug he acquired and it was an OD.

When the PI in "Gone at 21" covered the case I got a bad feeling about JC, but it also cast a LOT of doubt - for me anyway - about some others as well. I think he could have either killed her or covered up an OD. But if I was on the jury and the defense attorney brought out the other items the PI uncovered about others, I could not find him guilty because it would give too much doubt about his guilt.

I listen to Ryan’s podcast and I found it interesting but ultimately it was unable to solve the case. He interviewed a lot of young people with links to Katelyn who seemed to be drifting through life without much direction. Some were getting deep into hard drugs but others weren’t. The only one who seemed to have her act together was Katelyn.

Carter seemed like your classic zero ambition loser who would spend his life delivering pizza and playing video games in his parents’ garage if some girl didn’t come around and treat him like a lost puppy. He did not, however, come off as a murderer.

My own wild *advertiser censored* guess is that Katelyn died of an opiate overdose and Carter, for whatever reason, participated in disposing of her body. It is nothing but a gut feeling. I wonder if someone with an intimidating presence gave Katelyn some heroin and she OD’ed. The guy then threatened Carter into dumping her body.

There is definitely something off about the 911 call. Carter knows a lot but he is keeping his mouth shut.

It aint the fiance, any of the friends, or the guy that killed Ellie Weik. Nobody ever looked at the most obvious. Smiling faces show no traces of the evil that lurks within.

’Hopefully we will have justice:’ Who killed Katelyn Markham?

As time goes by, the unsolved case continues to deeply impact Katelyn’s family members and friends. Dave Markham, Katelyn’s father, often visits Creekside Park in Fairfield where there is a tree planted in his daughter’s honor.

Dave Markham describes Katelyn as a light in a sometimes dark world - a young woman who radiated warmth and compassion. Those who knew Katelyn best say she was never afraid to spread kindness through something as simple as a smile.

“I think everybody knows by now that she was very bubbly. She was just very warm, outgoing, positive, energetic, always wanted people to be happy," Dave Markham said. “She’s not forgotten, and she won’t be forgotten.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back