Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must admit, when its on sale, we are stocking up again. Looks like we may have a second lockdown and we are not going to have to worry about anything this time, I hope.

Our prices are going up as well, worrying as the government help for most people is ending Sept. 27th and a lot of people will be going short of everything.

Stay safe/stay well everyone.

Even though we have an unopened 9-pack of TP, DH got a 30-roll bundle at Costco last weekend. There was plenty in stock and no restrictions, so he wasn't depriving other customers. With fall/winter approaching, flu season and COVID colliding, there are likely to be shortages of many products that were hard to find once the pandemic started. I wouldn't hold it against anyone who wants to plan ahead and be prepared. Costco still has no disinfectant wipes or Lysol spray, but we will keep looking for them.

There hasn’t been any Viva paper towels the past three weeks. This Is Not Good.
They’re my cleaning go-to. I don’t wannnnnna use fall apart paper towels or cloth.
My favorite is the Brawny Pick A Size. I just bought another 6 pack. I usually only need a 1/2 a paper towel but I use them frequently. It's more sanitary when I food prep. Plus our food allergies, switching between making what my the kids can eat, then switching to making what I can eat, it's safer. It is not unusual for us to get all the ingredients out and have 3 different mixing bowls, 3 different baking dishes, etc. all at the same time.

I use a lot of heavy terry cloth hand towels too though. They are so expensive tho. To get one that really absorbs, you spend $10 a piece. I've even looked into making some but they're no cheaper.

Amazon has gone off the deep end on prices: for example

a 5 pack of Clorox Wipes at Costco was 22.95. A pack of 3 at Amazon: 48.95
A can of Demmings salmon- 16.92 at Amazon: 7.99 at Krogers or Walmart.
Bottle of alcohol also ridiculously expensive at Amazon: I guess they are exploiting the Pandemic. Really sad. i would not have thought Amazon would exploit people during this time but they are- big time.

Bottle of alcohol also ridiculously expensive at Amazon: I guess they are exploiting the Pandemic. Really sad. i would not have thought Amazon would exploit people during this time but they are- big time.
I wonder if they’re allowed to sell at those prices in FL. Our gouging law is pretty strict. If you complain and they find it’s true, the vendor gets nailed.

As the economy opens, the numbers go up and some companies will use past experiences to make a buck or twenty.

I find its best to just buy some extras when they are on sale and dont get caught up in this panic again.

COVID is going to be here for awhile, if you have some extra cash, purchase non perishables at regular shops on sale.

I just purchased moments ago from Amazon a 4 pk of Clorox Wipes (80 count sheets) for $12.99. In the past few weeks, they've had single containers (80 count sheets) for around $4.60, with a limit of 3. I went from March to August not being able to find any, so now I'm stocking up!

As the economy opens, the numbers go up and some companies will use past experiences to make a buck or twenty.

I find its best to just buy some extras when they are on sale and dont get caught up in this panic again.

COVID is going to be here for awhile, if you have some extra cash, purchase non perishables at regular shops on sale.

I do a lot of my shopping for non perishables at Walmart-- they have great prices. I just am shocked that Amazon is taking advantage of people like this.

is it third-party sellers? once they're notified, they usually crack down on those

I just purchased moments ago from Amazon a 4 pk of Clorox Wipes (80 count sheets) for $12.99. In the past few weeks, they've had single containers (80 count sheets) for around $4.60, with a limit of 3. I went from March to August not being able to find any, so now I'm stocking up!

still none available on Amazon.ca with prime

Reactions: JDG
My favorite is the Brawny Pick A Size. I just bought another 6 pack. I usually only need a 1/2 a paper towel but I use them frequently. It's more sanitary when I food prep. Plus our food allergies, switching between making what my the kids can eat, then switching to making what I can eat, it's safer. It is not unusual for us to get all the ingredients out and have 3 different mixing bowls, 3 different baking dishes, etc. all at the same time.

I use a lot of heavy terry cloth hand towels too though. They are so expensive tho. To get one that really absorbs, you spend $10 a piece. I've even looked into making some but they're no cheaper.

At any given day my favorite local resale store has thick, sometimes brand new with tags attached terry cloth hand towels. At $1.50 each, I pick out towels for various uses: garage shop towels, cleaning off muddy dog paws, bathroom cleaning chores, kitchen sink, floors, dust rags or car wash. They’ll have linen towels I use for drying glassware and dishes. Linen does not leave streaks or threads.
A dishwasher or regular clothes washer on hot water with a bit of bleach rinses them clean, disinfects them and once dried, they can be reused. (No clothes softeners.) Like sponges that I toss into the dishwasher. Cheap enough to use and toss, if need be.

still none available on Amazon.ca with prime

I wonder if baby wipes with some diluted bleach or alcohol poured into the container then allowed to wick up into the sheets, would work? Open up a box. Take out the entire stack. Pour in an 1/8 cup of diluted disinfectant into the container. Dip both ends of the stack into the solution at the bottom of the box to get the sides started. Put the entire stack back in. Close the lid. I keep all my wipes upside down so that the ones I pull will be damp.
It’s not precise but close enough for routine household use, I would think.

DH and I did our regular once-weekly grocery trip to Nino's today. No shortages of anything, and the store is already starting to have featured items for the upcoming holidays. Right now, there are many specials for Octoberfest. We like the Bechtle brand of egg noodles and bought 4 bags. If the wonderful noodles are still featured in coming weeks, we will probably stock up on them for fall/winter. I use them for Beef or Turkey Stroganoff, Chicken Paprikash, Chicken and Noodles, Chicken Noodle Soup, even sweet noodle dishes like Kugel. We also like hot buttered noodles with fresh parsley. Bechtle

We got a couple ears of Michigan corn, a large acorn squash, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes. There was a rare display of Asian pears, so I got a couple of those, lemons, and bananas. Rib pork chops are featured this week, so we got enough for two meals. I'm trying to only buy enough fresh produce for a week so I don't have to toss anything. Grilled swordfish with a salad tonight.

DH and I did our regular once-weekly grocery trip to Nino's today. No shortages of anything, and the store is already starting to have featured items for the upcoming holidays. Right now, there are many specials for Octoberfest. We like the Bechtle brand of egg noodles and bought 4 bags. If the wonderful noodles are still featured in coming weeks, we will probably stock up on them for fall/winter. I use them for Beef or Turkey Stroganoff, Chicken Paprikash, Chicken and Noodles, Chicken Noodle Soup, even sweet noodle dishes like Kugel. We also like hot buttered noodles with fresh parsley. Bechtle

We got a couple ears of Michigan corn, a large acorn squash, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes. There was a rare display of Asian pears, so I got a couple of those, lemons, and bananas. Rib pork chops are featured this week, so we got enough for two meals. I'm trying to only buy enough fresh produce for a week so I don't have to toss anything. Grilled swordfish with a salad tonight.

It sounds like you are quite the cook!!!! all those dishes sound delicious!!!! We were going to go to Ninos today but didn't- probably tomorrow!!!!!

The church and the senior center provided produce this week. Everything was fresh except a spoiled pre-made salad. I had to toss it unfortunately.

It must be lemon season. I’m swimming in them. I’m borrowing a juicer from my friend to make lemonade. I will freeze it for my oldest since she likes it.

I put 8 of the big baking potatoes in the oven. I gave 4 to my youngest. I will cut my 4 up for home fries tomorrow. She probably will too. We never met a potato we didn’t like. But, I know we can’t eat 20 lbs of potatoes either.

I’m taking what we don’t need, or can’t use timely, to my friend. She is the one with 3 grandsons under 13 and their Dad had a stroke. Her daughter is so very appreciative. They’re surviving on her salary.

Attachments

• EA248329-4364-43E8-B191-CD4549B4E5AE.jpeg
    EA248329-4364-43E8-B191-CD4549B4E5AE.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 62
  • C87B215F-18E7-46C9-AC23-77B16AAC3FE1.jpeg
    C87B215F-18E7-46C9-AC23-77B16AAC3FE1.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 55
The church and the senior center provided produce this week. Everything was fresh except a spoiled pre-made salad. I had to toss it unfortunately.

It must be lemon season. I’m swimming in them. I’m borrowing a juicer from my friend to make lemonade. I will freeze it for my oldest since she likes it.

I put 8 of the big baking potatoes in the oven. I gave 4 to my youngest. I will cut my 4 up for home fries tomorrow. She probably will too. We never met a potato we didn’t like. But, I know we can’t eat 20 lbs of potatoes either.

I’m taking what we don’t need, or can’t use timely, to my friend. She is the one with 3 grandsons under 13 and their Dad had a stroke. Her daughter is so very appreciative. They’re surviving on her salary.
Somethings just jump out to me - I have a back scratcher on my kitchen counter so I can reach and move things in my deep cabinets I can't otherwise reach also!

Somethings just jump out to me - I have a back scratcher on my kitchen counter so I can reach and move things in my deep cabinets I can't otherwise reach also!
LOL! I bought a package of those back scratchers probably 15 years ago. They are bamboo and work much better than a plastic one.

My friend was looking for one as a gift last week. I dug into my stash and found a few new ones. This particular one has my daughters written name on it. I left it there to remind me to give it to her when she visits next week. I use the long 12” tongs to get the stuff I can’t reach!

It sounds like you are quite the cook!!!! all those dishes sound delicious!!!! We were going to go to Ninos today but didn't- probably tomorrow!!!!!

Aw, shucks :oops: I enjoy cooking for DH, but I don't eat many of these heavy foods. I'm also lactose intolerant and avoid anything made with cheese, sour cream, etc. When I make these types of dishes, DH will eat leftovers for lunch. Have fun at Nino's :)

O/T Re: Your new avatar. I immediately recognized Murray Hamilton in Jaws :D

Seems apt for the entire year. I was going to go for a lovely fall drive today. Instead, I have to work at my 2nd job. The Covid rate is zooming towards alarming levels here. One case becomes 20, literally, overnight.

So, shop, and stock up people. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member