GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

I went to the rest area. It has been completely torn down and rebuilt. There is now a parking area in the back for semis. The whole thing is much larger. It sits even further back from the road than the old building did. So the new one really doesn't have any relevance to how it used to be.

Thank you for trying to get pictures of the old rest area off 231. I always considered it a possibility that is where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett met their killer that night if they did not get lost in Ozark, AL after leaving the Big Little gas station store. There are many possibilities though.

If the man arrested in this case was somehow at the 231 rest stop that night, what would he be doing there after 11:30 pm anyway? I have always felt if you could find the place where the girls crossed paths with their killer, the place where they got the mud and briars on their pants and shoes would be nearby. I am so interested in that question of where in this case.

I guess certain questions about this case will remain a mystery.

Imo the recent Raven sisters podcast was a joke. It is no laughing matter, all the giggling was disturbing. The majority of the information is flawed or appears to be made up. No article I am aware of says ANYTHING was admitted or that they went to a second location willingly or because of an authoritative order to do so, or that anyone jumped in front of them. JB never said he did it to get the reward , DNA was tested (it wasn't lack of technology, it was lack of match), and I don't recall any articles about repeated legal trouble by CM for drug use at the time of the murders. I was VERY disappointed in it.

Thank you for your input Irishrose70. Yes the giggling was defin disturbing considering the details around this case, again I'm not really into podcasts so when I came across it I didn't know what to expect. Maybe one day the truth will all come out

McCraney's jury trial in deaths of J.B. Beasley, Tracie Hawlett continued to 2021

According to court documents, McCraney had a trial date tentatively set for Nov. 16. However, a motion was filed recently by McCraney’s defense attorneys requesting a continuance due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The motion states additional time is needed to meet with witnesses and to re-examine evidence.

Dale County Circuit Judge William Filmore issued an order granting the motion; no specific trial date has been scheduled for 2021.

I just saw this article. There is not a thread for this case, but I believe it’s been mentioned on the girls thread, so I’m putting this here.

48 Hours profiles Ozark’s Tracey Harris murder Saturday, Jan 23

At first I thought it said 48 hours was profiling this case. But then I read it more closely.

Maybe someday 48 hours will profile this case? This is the first case I commented on and it was the case that got me interested in how locations affect how a crime takes place. I am still wondering how after J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett left the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL they ended up crossing paths with their killer? Where did the mud and briars on the girls clothes come from? Where was that location? I know the person currently under arrest is probably not going to answer these questions so all you can do is guess.

My complete guess is that both locations are one in the same. So my complete guess is that he crossed paths with J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett at the rest stop on 231. Then they all walked to some wet location with briars behind the rest stop before coming back to J.B. Beasley's car. He ordered them in the trunk, but quickly shot Tracie first. Then J.B. realized what was going on before he shot her in the cheek. He then drove J.B. Beasley's car back to the Herring Avenue location where it was later found.

But my theory has a major problem. Why would anyone be hanging out at the rest stop on 231 to begin with, especially if they are local to Ozark, AL? Why would anyone be hanging out anywhere in that town after 11:30 pm at night? I do not know about Ozark, AL, but it looks like it would be rather quiet and desolate in the streets at night around 11:30 pm. This is how it appears to me.

The real answer is that the locations could be anywhere within the Ozark, AL area. But if 48 hours ever comes up with a story about what happened that night, even if only up to the point of leaving the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL I would be interested. For example, did the girls intend to end up near Ozark, AL by going to a party near that area in Skipperville? Or was it really a wrong turn that caused them to end up over in Ozark, AL at the Big Little gas station? Why did Tracie tell her mother on the pay phone call from the Big Little gas station that the girls were "lost"?

This case will always be interesting for its localized nature and how specific locations and travel played a role in how the story unfolded that night back in late July 1999.

I just saw this article. There is not a thread for this case, but I believe it’s been mentioned on the girls thread, so I’m putting this here.

48 Hours profiles Ozark’s Tracey Harris murder Saturday, Jan 23

48 hours should be interesting

Although at the risk of getting off thread topic for a moment, I would be interested in the background of ADA Jordan Davis. Is anyone familiar with her? It is her objective observation and investigative skills that brought what appears to be Ms. Harris’ actual killer to light. Ms. harris’ ex-husband was arrested almost four years ago for this crime and it has hung around his neck like an albatross the whole time. Truly a sad tale. I cannot imagine. If not for her...... well.

I applaud ADA Davis and her efforts. No matter her background it must be a breath of fresh expertise to the District Attorney’s office. I hope this objectivity continues forward as the DA’s office is not without its legal “faux pas” in the past (at considerable cost unknown for now).

I thank everyone for their interest in true advocacy and justice in this and other cases.

Last edited:
Carolyn Aznavour: I was four years old when my mom was murdered … I was 4 or 5, I would cry nonstop if I would get in trouble … and say, "I want my mom, I want my mom."

Carolyn was immediately adopted by Tracey's mother. They soon left Ozark, hoping to start over, and moved to Texas.

Carolyn Aznavour: I do not have any memories of her. ... Family would always bring up stories about her, how sweet she was, how shy she was. … We had pictures throughout the house.

Maureen Maher: What did you grow up thinking happened to your mom?

Carolyn Aznavour: I knew my mom was murdered … And then, as the years went on, I found out it had to do with my dad.

Maureen Maher: What did people tell you about him?

Carolyn Aznavour: I've always heard that he was very abusive towards my mom … that he was just a bad individual.

Decades-old secret reveals woman's real killer just before start of longtime suspect's murder trial

Last edited:
I watched this last night. I’m so glad that the wrong person was not prosecuted for this crime, and that Carolyn has a chance for peace.
What really struck me is how stereotypically sleazy David Harrison comes across. I’m sure we will see his sleaze ball antics in the Beasley/Hawlett trial.

"I think from the very get-go, there was only one suspect in this case …" said Davis. "… Carl Harris."

The couple had recently divorced, and Carl had a girlfriend.

"Carl Harris did have a reputation for being very violent in particular towards Tracey Harris," said Davis.

About a dozen witnesses gave investigators statements describing Carl Harris's physical abuse of Tracey—something Carl denies.

"I never put my hands on Tracey ... Never," he told "48 Hours" correspondent Maureen Maher.

"So, all those people were lying?" Maher asked. "Yes, ma'am," he replied.
Decades-old secret reveals woman's real killer just before start of longtime suspect's murder trial

There are so many places where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett could have gotten lost by making a wrong turn that night back on July 31, 1999. I think making a right turn at the corner of Church St. and Main St. along the square in Headland, AL is a possibility, but so are a lot of other places on the map. The roads really seem to wind around the area. There are very few straight line roads.

I am still confused about the actual story of where they went that night or if they had planned to be in the Ozark, AL area, but it would be sort of tragic if the only reason they ended up crossing paths with their killer was because of one wrong turn.

I'm wondering if McCraney knew one of the girls. This would explain why they were driving around close to where he lived at that time. Awfully suspicious that he cuts his power off and moves within 3 weeks after the murders. JMO

I'm wondering if McCraney knew one of the girls. This would explain why they were driving around close to where he lived at that time. Awfully suspicious that he cuts his power off and moves within 3 weeks after the murders. JMO

Welcome to Websleuths!

There is no known connection between and McCraney and either of the girls. The families of both victims were not familiar with him and he has denied knowing either girl. The girls had attended a field party near Ozark and had stopped at the Big/Little Store to use the payphone, before driving into Ozark. Most think he either saw them there and waited for them a ways down the road and got them to stop or he flagged them down after seeing two girls in a car in town. That is something we do not know and we all hope all of the facts come out at trial.

While not impossible because, really, few things are, it is HIGHLY improbable either girl knew him. The whole scenario, as we know it, smacks of an opportunistic crime, in my opinion. I hope we find out but I doubt the defendant will be confessing to much despite the relationship with God he has acted at having.

While not impossible because, really, few things are, it is HIGHLY improbable either girl knew him. The whole scenario, as we know it, smacks of an opportunistic crime, in my opinion. I hope we find out but I doubt the defendant will be confessing to much despite the relationship with God he has acted at having.

Yes, very doubtful about getting a confession. It just makes no sense to me if McCraney did do it, there are minimal if not just that one partial print that was found. No foot prints or hair follicles. He had to be very slick at what he was doing or lucky that he didn't leave any evidence.

Yes, very doubtful about getting a confession. It just makes no sense to me if McCraney did do it, there are minimal if not just that one partial print that was found. No foot prints or hair follicles. He had to be very slick at what he was doing or lucky that he didn't leave any evidence.

I too will be shocked if he confesses to anything. If he does, it will probably something to the effect the sex was consensual. But, that could prove problematic for him since he has denied knowing either girl

Actually, he did leave evidence. He left his semen on and in JB. His DNA led to his arrest.

I too will be shocked if he confesses to anything. If he does, it will probably something to the effect the sex was consensual. But, that could prove problematic for him since he has denied knowing either girl

Actually, he did leave evidence. He left his semen on and in JB. His DNA led to his arrest.

You're right TedMac! It just baffles me about him. Think about he was just walking around that late at night carrying a pistol waiting to do something horrible like this. Makes no sense but I know the motives of some serial killers are bizarre or no motive at all.

You're right TedMac! It just baffles me about him. Think about he was just walking around that late at night carrying a pistol waiting to do something horrible like this. Makes no sense but I know the motives of some serial killers are bizarre or no motive at all.

I didnt mean to imply that McCraney is a serial killer. Sorry

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998