NY NY - Manhattan, 'Midtown Jane Doe', WhtFem 16-21, 337UFNY, under concrete, ring w/ 'P McG', Feb'03

Hello! I am new to the true crime/ websleuthing community. This case caught my interest a few days ago and I've been obsessively researching it since.
None of the posts I've found so far mention the model of the watch (though I may have missed it) just the brand. It took a while but I think I have it identified as a Leading Lady based on the NamUs photo. I found a few of different years listed for this particular version: 1966 - 1968. I assume they confirmed the year it was made through the date code on the back. I know this isn't particularly important information, but I couldn't let it go and I figured I would put it here in case anyone else wanted to know.
And as far as the ring, the thing I notice the most about it is how horribly beat up it is. Makes me think it is definitely an heirloom since it is unlikely that a girl of such a young age would have done that much damage to her ring already unless it was gifted to her as a child which might also explain why it was on her pinky.
And thank you everyone to everyone who has posted their findings on this thread. I'm very glad to know that so many people are working to identify her.
Welcome to Ws wyn94!
Interesting post, if the watch turns out to be a "leading lady" it would make me wonder if the watch was a gift to an aspiring actress off to NY to find fame and fortune, imo, speculation.

Vintage Jewelry and Watches Ads of the 1960s (Page 19)

doa0ime1zqfotv.jpg

Manhattan Jane Doe (2003)

My gut feeling is that the ring wasn't owned by someone with a lot of means. It's described as "gold colored" or "Yellow metal" so I don't think it was actual gold...?

But such beautiful detailing of the monogramming (the dot under the Mc, which apparently signifies "Mac," vs "Mc") tells me that their name is a big source of pride for them. The monogramming couldn't have been cheap, but yet the ring doesn't seem to be intrinsically very valuable.

Just a thought, but maybe MJD was from a country where gold was hard to come by. Or maybe it was a wartime piece handed down to her that had sentimental value.

in law enforcement, all metal is described that way because they arent educated in identifying whether it is real and dont want to assign value to them.

Hello, I'm new to this case, please bear with me! I am hung up on the clothing label. The only photo I can find of it is on doenetwork, and it's a small, grainy, black and white photo.
337UFNY
This appears to be a "Coat & Suit Industry Recovery Board" label, which was used alone in the 40s and 50s, and was then used in conjunction with ILGWU labels starting in 1960. I am researching how long they used the ILGWU/Recovery Board dual label. A vintage clothing collector I know said she has only seen them on clothes from the 60s, but she referred me to several other people who might know more definitively. I will check with them, but am hoping someone here can point me to a larger photo of the label! Forgive me if this has been covered already, I did go through the entire thread but it's certainly possible I missed information. Thanks so much for any help!

Interesting comments on the garment label. Here is one of several websites that might help to identify and date vintage clothing.

LINK:
A Guide to Identifying ILGWU Union Labels in Vintage Clothing
Thank you! Here are two others...the Cornell site has tons of history about the ILGWU, the other site is a vintage clothing site, a lot like your link.

ILGWU web site - Home

Vintage Fashion Guild : Education | History | Community

I know the detectives dated the label, but by the time they were doing their investigation, the union no longer existed in the same form. Hopefully detailed records were kept throughout the various incarnations of the union and the date given was 100% accurate.

Again, if anyone has a link to larger evidence photos, I would really appreciate it!

Welcome to Ws wyn94!
Interesting post, if the watch turns out to be a "leading lady" it would make me wonder if the watch was a gift to an aspiring actress off to NY to find fame and fortune, imo, speculation.

Vintage Jewelry and Watches Ads of the 1960s (Page 19)

That looks like a close to perfect match for the watch. If not the same then quite possibly a copy from another company of the same era.

That looks like a close to perfect match for the watch. If not the same then quite possibly a copy from another company of the same era.
I managed to find one on Ebay and got it. I would say it's definitely the same watch, though mine was made in '67 based on the code on the back.
I'm attaching a photo if anyone wants to take a look.

Attachments

• 20201104_034107.jpg
    20201104_034107.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 27
I managed to find one on Ebay and got it. I would say it's definitely the same watch, though mine was made in '67 based on the code on the back.
I'm attaching a photo if anyone wants to take a look.

It does look like a pretty close match to Manhattan Midtown Jane Doe's watch.

If the date of her watch could be determined, it might give investigators a closer time frame as to her murder. It is possible that this watch was given to her as a graduation or Christmas gift or for some special event. The person who gave it to her might remember it.

How long does one wear a watch before setting it aside and getting a new one? If this girl was into the latest of fashions, she might have considered the watch an important part of that concept, rather than simply a utilitarian time piece.

It does look like a pretty close match to Manhattan Midtown Jane Doe's watch.

If the date of her watch could be determined, it might give investigators a closer time frame as to her murder. It is possible that this watch was given to her as a graduation or Christmas gift or for some special event. The person who gave it to her might remember it.

How long does one wear a watch before setting it aside and getting a new one? If this girl was into the latest of fashions, she might have considered the watch an important part of that concept, rather than simply a utilitarian time piece.

If I remember correctly, in 1966 the watch sold for about $50 and I think the conversion to current value is about $400. Based on that, I think it would be a piece that one would hold onto. That's definitely just speculation on my part though.

Based on all the evidence that is her watch, her clothing labels and the coin I would place her death somewhere in the 1970s, probably in the first half of the 1970s. Sure some people wear heirloom watches decades after they have been made, but combined with all the other finds that were on the body, I find it hard to believe she died after 1988. Highly unlikely she went all "vintage", including clothing. The glitter lurex also points towards early 1970s. Yes it was popular again in the mid-late 1980s, but as i said, unlikely the lady wore a 1960s watch and clothing in 1988.
Why somebody decades after her death poured fresh concrete over her escapes me. Maybe they were not even aware of a body being there and they just wanted to fill the gap?

My 2c as an archeologist, the ring looks like solid gold and it has been crudely adapted to fit a smaller size by cutting the band and bending it - maybe she did it herself. A jeweller would resize it differently. It also seems to have been worn quite some time. Could have been a heirloom from a beloved grandfather or such she did not want to part with.

And the watch looks gold plated with the plating chipping off from corrosion of the bottom alloy in some places. Not a cheap watch but also not a solid gold one.

I think Nadine looks good as a possible match. The only thing off would be she went missing in 1974 at 16.
Namus states about Jane Doe: but based on a dime found with the remains, no earlier than 1969. Based on findings at the scene, could possibly have been buried after 1979. Estimated Year of Death 1970-2003, Nadine has not been ruled out,
The ring initials are irrelevant. I wear my fathers initial ring and we only share the last name letter on that ring. I would submit her, I always say the one you pass over could be the match.

You can Email Lori Bruski at Namus,
Call the ME in NYC the forensic anthropologist: Angela Soler;
Office of Chief Medical Examiner New York City
(212) 447-2030

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members