SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

WIStv in Columbia is reporting today(Sept 23, 2020) that Richland County Sheriff’s Dept says they are “currently working a new tip in the case”.
“ “Let’s just say there is a very active investigation going on,” explained Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott”

The short article is on WIStv website and I would post it if I could figure out how to do it! Sorry!

I’m hoping something will come of this but trying not to get my hopes up.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe it. I think it’s just something to say for the anniversary. That sounds so rude, I know! But if this is some sort of cover up, it is going to take someone outside the police department to get this investigation going again!

Several of her friends are quite prominent so why haven’t they started something? Shrugging shoulders, saying I’m sorry I hope they find her soon, isn’t going to work...28 years later that should be pretty clear!

I truly do hope this lead goes somewhere. There is way too much in this case that doesn’t make sense and the information isn’t readily available.

Anyway, hopefully they will give more information on the lead soon!

WIStv in Columbia is reporting today(Sept 23, 2020) that Richland County Sheriff’s Dept says they are “currently working a new tip in the case”.
“ “Let’s just say there is a very active investigation going on,” explained Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott”

The short article is on WIStv website and I would post it if I could figure out how to do it! Sorry!

I’m hoping something will come of this but trying not to get my hopes up.

Dail Dinwiddie: 28 Years Later

This article seems to explain more about the tip they may be investigating. I believe this was mentioned on here years ago.

This article seems to explain more about the tip they may be investigating. I believe this was mentioned on here years ago.
From link, thanks..rbbm.

''Police believe she was kidnapped – and have suggested it was likely a carefully planned abduction considering the lack of witnesses or evidence connected to her disappearance. There was literally no crime scene. Dinwiddie just “vanished” in the words of former solicitor (and current state senator) Dick Harpootlian, whose office worked the case.''

''According to multiple sources familiar with the situation, there is a current sexual assault case in the Midlands region of South Carolina in which a victim allegedly told law enforcement that the man who assaulted her told her she “reminded him of Dail Dinwiddie.”

This news outlet was provided with the name of the alleged assailant – a prominent Columbia, S.C. businessman
– along with additional circumstantial information that could (and we stress could) lend credence to the belief he might have been in a position to have some connection to Dinwiddie’s disappearance.''

Excerpt from the above article(FITs News; Sept 24, 2020)

Earlier this month, our news outlet received an inquiry from a source who communicated a possible lead in the case to agents of the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED).

According to multiple sources familiar with the situation, there is a current sexual assault case in the Midlands region of South Carolina in which a victim allegedly told law enforcement that the man who assaulted her told her she “reminded him of Dail Dinwiddie.”

This news outlet was provided with the name of the alleged assailant – a prominent Columbia, S.C. businessman – along with additional circumstantial information that could (and we stress could) lend credence to the belief he might have been in a position to have some connection to Dinwiddie’s disappearance.

But beyond the statement attributed to him by the alleged victim – which is totally unverified (and likely unverifiable) – there is very little to go on. And after nearly three decades, there is nothing to suggest this lead – like the 1,000 other leads police have investigated since that fateful fall night – will pan out.

More likely than not, it is yet another wild goose chase …“

My thought initially when a friend told me she had seen the story of the new tip on the local news , and I did not see this article until this morning, was it was just a re-hash from a number of years ago about a tip at that time. It doesn’t appear to be, as indicated by the statement by Lott and this article. I then thought maybe the 28th anniversary finally caused someone to have an attack of conscience, but this article indicates otherwise.
The question of course is, will anything become of it. This article doesn’t seem very hopeful. I doubt anything becomes of it, but I sure would like to know who that prominent business man is.

Excerpt from the above article(FITs News; Sept 24, 2020)

Earlier this month, our news outlet received an inquiry from a source who communicated a possible lead in the case to agents of the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED).

According to multiple sources familiar with the situation, there is a current sexual assault case in the Midlands region of South Carolina in which a victim allegedly told law enforcement that the man who assaulted her told her she “reminded him of Dail Dinwiddie.”

This news outlet was provided with the name of the alleged assailant – a prominent Columbia, S.C. businessman – along with additional circumstantial information that could (and we stress could) lend credence to the belief he might have been in a position to have some connection to Dinwiddie’s disappearance.

But beyond the statement attributed to him by the alleged victim – which is totally unverified (and likely unverifiable) – there is very little to go on. And after nearly three decades, there is nothing to suggest this lead – like the 1,000 other leads police have investigated since that fateful fall night – will pan out.

More likely than not, it is yet another wild goose chase …“

My thought initially when a friend told me she had seen the story of the new tip on the local news , and I did not see this article until this morning, was it was just a re-hash from a number of years ago about a tip at that time. It doesn’t appear to be, as indicated by the statement by Lott and this article. I then thought maybe the 28th anniversary finally caused someone to have an attack of conscience, but this article indicates otherwise.
The question of course is, will anything become of it. This article doesn’t seem very hopeful. I doubt anything becomes of it, but I sure would like to know who that prominent business man is.

Can we ever solve the Dail Dinwiddie case? | The Context Of Things
It takes some digging around, but this is why I’m skeptical! This was mentioned back in 2014 and per the report, brought up to the police.

This is not the first time someone prominent in SC is mentioned in connection but no name is ever given out. I would definitely like to know as well! That seems very fishy and sketchy that someone “well respected within the community” could have been involved in this crime 28 years ago. It seems unlikely the truth will ever come out unless remains are found. The people who seem to speak up get shut down. At least, that is what it seems like from comments on different forum/podcast sites.

I just don’t think remains will be found unless people conduct more searches of places that have been brought up on these sites.

Just a thought, but was Dail ever friends/ schoolmates with someone whose father or older brother became or was, a high profile business man?
What intrigued me is that LE suggest that this was a well-planned abduction, thinking that the perp is somewhat familiar with Dail, not directly in her circle, but perhaps in the circles orbiting that one.
speculation, imo.

Just a thought, but was Dail ever friends/ schoolmates with someone whose father or older brother became or was, a high profile business man?
What intrigued me is that LE suggest that this was a well-planned abduction, thinking that the perp is somewhat familiar with Dail, not directly in her circle, but perhaps in the circles orbiting that one.
speculation, imo.

Isn’t one of the guys that was in that circle the night of the concert a lawyer now?

Anyway, it has been very difficult to find a lot of background information on Dail. I believe she had recently moved back to Columbia after college. So, I’ve often wondered how close she really was with these friends. There isn’t a lot out there of who she was close to growing up or who her family is or was close to. So, I think it’s difficult to answer that question unless people who knew her could shed some light on that.

I also wonder, if the undercover informant/business man theories are correct, what would the motive be? Did she know information she wasn’t supposed to? I just wonder if it was targeted or if this person has a history and she fit his MO?

They keep talking about how cautious she was yet she left her purse at the bar after leaving, returning, AND leaving again. That, along with many other aspects of the case, puzzles me. I don’t get a good sense of who she really was with the vague repetitive info out there.

Can we ever solve the Dail Dinwiddie case? | The Context Of Things
It takes some digging around, but this is why I’m skeptical! This was mentioned back in 2014 and per the report, brought up to the police.

This is not the first time someone prominent in SC is mentioned in connection but no name is ever given out. I would definitely like to know as well! That seems very fishy and sketchy that someone “well respected within the community” could have been involved in this crime 28 years ago. It seems unlikely the truth will ever come out unless remains are found. The people who seem to speak up get shut down. At least, that is what it seems like from comments on different forum/podcast sites.

I just don’t think remains will be found unless people conduct more searches of places that have been brought up on these sites.

I agree with all of this. It would also be great to know if this prominent businessman’s name came up way back at the beginning of all this.
When I hear “prominent businessman” around these parts it’s usually connected to a wealthy powerful family and wealthy powerful families have usually been that for generations. It wouldn’t be hard to imagine some “housecleaning” being done back then to sweep things under the rug if some prominent family’s son was involved. And he of course would have taken over the family business and maybe continued his predatory ways into present times. I’ve never really considered this angle but it does make a lot of sense. Dail may have known him, well or casually, maybe a friend’s big brother, and easily accepted a ride from him.

I agree with the wealthy aspect. A lot of generations still living in Columbia, or the Southeast in general.

I thought I read from that person (way back on here) that he was initially talked to? I’m not for sure though. It is very hard to find information and you have to put all the comments about it together for it to make sense, at least in my opinion.

I thought I read somewhere too that he lives with his mother and off the money from his father? Something along those lines. I’m not sure how that and prominent businessman are connected though.

That person also wrote something about if this case was leaked then others would too; so it makes me wonder how many cover ups there are.

I agree with the wealthy aspect. A lot of generations still living in Columbia, or the Southeast in general.

I thought I read from that person (way back on here) that he was initially talked to? I’m not for sure though. It is very hard to find information and you have to put all the comments about it together for it to make sense, at least in my opinion.

I thought I read somewhere too that he lives with his mother and off the money from his father? Something along those lines. I’m not sure how that and prominent businessman are connected though.

That person also wrote something about if this case was leaked then others would too; so it makes me wonder how many cover ups there are.

I know what comments you’re talking about from about 4 or 5 years ago. My impression is that the new tip folks are talking about today is not related to that story.
Of course my impression may be wrong.

Oh no sorry I was being too vague! I think the “new tip” is related to what I posted a few comments ago about the sexual assault claim where the police called her crazy, per the report.

I mentioned the comments from 4-5 years ago because I was trying to connect, a man who lives with his mom and something about golfing to the prominent connection and the narc informant connection (or alleged connections).

I read somewhere that they interviewed many people when it first happened but names aren’t really listed; so my guess is, it isn’t a new name but people have nothing to go off of if names aren’t listed. If that makes sense haha.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article246003630.html
''Rumors spread throughout the Midlands Friday that the nearly 30-year-old disappearance of a Columbia woman had been solved.

Reporters with The State received more than dozen tips that a man was questioned and arrested in the case of Dail Dinwiddie, who was last seen in Five Points early Sept. 24, 1992. The State ran down the tips and was told they were not true.''

''Tips claimed that a Columbia area lawyer assaulted a woman and told her that she reminded him of Dinwiddie. The man supposedly was arrested after deputies questioned him.''

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article246003630.html
''Rumors spread throughout the Midlands Friday that the nearly 30-year-old disappearance of a Columbia woman had been solved.

Reporters with The State received more than dozen tips that a man was questioned and arrested in the case of Dail Dinwiddie, who was last seen in Five Points early Sept. 24, 1992. The State ran down the tips and was told they were not true.''

''Tips claimed that a Columbia area lawyer assaulted a woman and told her that she reminded him of Dinwiddie. The man supposedly was arrested after deputies questioned him.''

Yeah I’m sure they investigated thoroughly...probably as thorough as they did back in 1992.

Are they baseless rumors or did someone turn on the heat?

Lots of nameless people...lawyer?...interesting.

I came to see if The State article had been linked yet. Glad to see it had. I'm a bit shocked to see a link to FitsNews, though. Not a very good/reliable news source.

In the “Context of things” article someone mentioned that the state building at the corner of Hampton and Harden was under construction at the time of her disappearance. There was a comment on here awhile ago about someone he/she knew saying they would never find her because they were getting ready to pour concrete over her. Was the location of the state building ever checked back in 1992?

In the “Context of things” article someone mentioned that the state building at the corner of Hampton and Harden was under construction at the time of her disappearance. There was a comment on here awhile ago about someone he/she knew saying they would never find her because they were getting ready to pour concrete over her. Was the location of the state building ever checked back in 1992?

I had never heard that story before I read it in that article. I don’t know if the building was ever checked. It would be nice to know.

Yeah it would definitely be nice to know! I’ve watched shows on missing person cases and it truly seems like a majority of them are “dumped” close to where they were last seen. It’s sad; it’s like the answer is right under your nose! It would be nice to know what places were actually looked at and what other new places in the area were being built around that time.

I’m in town visiting and walked the area of Five Points. The bar is quite close to the intersection of Greene and it looked like the door would have been facing the intersection! Last night was quite busy so I can see why people wouldn’t remember what they saw, but I still think someone would have noticed if she was taken against her will!

Dail Dinwiddie was 23 years old when she went missing on September 24, 1992. She had just completed an art history degree at Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, Virginia and had returned to her native Columbia, South Carolina to enroll at the University of South Carolina for graduate school. The night Dail went missing, she had attended a U2 concert with some friends at Williams-Brice stadium. After the concert, the friends went to a local bar called Jungle Jim’s, now renamed The Horseshoe. Dail somehow got separated from the group and was never seen again, despite many extensive searches. Detective Kevin Isenhoward told Dateline they received promising tips in September 2020, but nothing that has yet led to Dail. The case remains open. If you have any information about what may have happened to Dail, please contact the Columbia Police Department at (803) 315-3750.
upload_2021-2-11_12-2-8.png
Seven years of Dateline's Missing in America: 156 still missing

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member