Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
RBBM- Let’s turn that around to read

Carol’s husband divorced her because of Russell.

Well well now what about Carol’s husband?

If Carol's husband divorced her, as opposed to the other way round, I would have no concerns about him. He is rid of his problem. He took the legal way out.

We have seen too many cases of separation violence/murder though, haven't we?

I'm not sure why so many think that Russell's wife must have known about his affair for a long time. Maybe she didn't. Maybe she had started to suspect. And then maybe she made up her mind to find out for sure.

I'm not sure why so many think that Russell's wife must have known about his affair for a long time. Maybe she didn't. Maybe she had started to suspect. And then maybe she made up her mind to find out for sure.

Did some say that she must have known for a long time? I don't think that is what anyone is thinking.

RH made his radio call at Wonnangatta Station around 6.30pm on 20/3.

He’d picked Carol up at 7.30 am for a 6 hour drive.
They should’ve arrived by 1.30 unless they stopped.

I was more thinking that with a large family, it could be very possible that Russell was seen with Carol somewhere by a family member. Or by a friend of a family member, who inadvertently mentioned it. Possibly seen in a coffee shop, in a pub, wherever they may have gone together. Russell may or may not have known he was seen. But it could be that he knew (if such a thing happened) due to his good friend saying this ....

'He's been attacked, I believe there is more than one person involved,' Mr Ashlin explained.
Russell Hill's best mate believes his friend was ATTACKED after speaking to him before he vanished | Daily Mail Online

If Carol's husband divorced her, as opposed to the other way round, I would have no concerns about him. He is rid of his problem. He took the legal way out.

We have seen too many cases of separation violence/murder though, haven't we?

Yes SA usually it’s the male who kills.
Now let’s talk about equality. ;)

He’d picked Carol up at 7.30 am for a 6 hour drive.
They should’ve arrived by 1.30 unless they stopped.

They spent the first night (19th March) at Howitt High Plains. Who knows if they made a radio transmission that night. It hasn't been said.
The radio transmission that is spoken about was on the following night (20th March), commencing at about 6pm and finishing at about 6:30pm.

They then travelled through Licola, spending one night at Howitt High Plains before heading into Wonnangatta Valley on March 20.
https://7news.com.au/news/missing-person/new-calls-to-find-missing-vic-campers-c-1329764

Here's an update...some speculation that RH and CC are still alive somewhere..."The unanswered questions that shed MAJOR doubt on claims married man and his glamorous companion were murdered on their secret trip."
Australia Home | Daily Mail Online

It sure is baffling speculation, isn't it?

This crime podcaster admits "'We don't know what we don't know in this case."
And yet goes on to speculate against police confidence, without knowing why police have this confidence.

"Police are confident the pair did not fake their own deaths and do not believe it's a case of murder-suicide."

Last edited:
Still, it might be close to what I speculated and posted in June...
"hello, everyone here... Here is the Dashiell Hammett story of what happened to Russell H. and Carol C. For decades RH and CC deeply loved each other while maintaining separate lives. They both had an extended loving family and a rewarding public life of respectability. They treasured spending time together because their lives were so busy and they shared a lot of interests in common--the only way they could escape into their world of companionship and intimacy and was to drive off into the Australian wilderness...setting up a primitive dwelling of bliss in the Wonnangatta Valley. They first met when only in their 30s...now in their early 70s both had developed an array of health problems. Having discussed often what they could do to make sure they died together doing what they loved to do...it was decided that they would perished together in the Wonnangatta Valley where they had spent so many beautiful years together. Their last night in the valley was spent setting up their campsite the way they always did. The following morning they had a good breakfast. After which, they carefully set their tent on fire, and disappeared into the bush abyss of their Wonnangatta Valley dreams..."

trujac, Jun 28, 2020

Correction: Now, we know they met as teenagers...

"hello, everyone here... Here is the Dashiell Hammett story of what happened to Russell H. and Carol C. For decades RH and CC deeply loved each other while maintaining separate lives. They both had an extended loving family and a rewarding public life of respectability. They treasured spending time together because their lives were so busy and they shared a lot of interests in common--the only way they could escape into their world of companionship and intimacy and was to drive off into the Australian wilderness...setting up a primitive dwelling of bliss in the Wonnangatta Valley. They first met when only in their 30s...now in their early 70s both had developed an array of health problems. Having discussed often what they could do to make sure they died together doing what they loved to do...it was decided that they would perished together in the Wonnangatta Valley where they had spent so many beautiful years together. Their last night in the valley was spent setting up their campsite the way they always did. The following morning they had a good breakfast. After which, they carefully set their tent on fire, and disappeared into the bush abyss of their Wonnangatta Valley dreams..."

trujac, Jun 28, 2020

I think we need to be open. The police, after 6 months of investigation, seem to be moving in another direction. Being the ones with full information, any evidence, any clues - I look more to their information, their methodology, at this point in time.

Hugo Weaving and Wayne Blair, new play Wonnangatta

Wayne Blair and Hugo Weaving will once more tread the boards as Angus Cerini’s Wonnangatta reopens the Roslyn Packer Theatre, as directed by resident director Jessica Arthur, with an almost six-week season kicking off on September 21. While many creatives have grappled with how best to deliver theatre online, it will be a joy for appropriately distanced audiences to sit together in a theatre once more and feel that electric thrill of seeing actors do their thing live. The 880-seater auditorium has been reduced to 147 bums on seats each night. Masks will be mandatory for audience members and staff.

And what a cast to return with, in this gothic fable set at Wonnangatta Station just over 100 years ago. Two men arrive at the dark and empty farmhouse wondering what has happened to their good friend and manager Jim Barclay. A darkly thrilling mystery unravels as the men set out for answers, and for justice. Cerini’s took home a host of awards for his previous box office hit The Bleeding Tree, so we can’t wait to see what chills he dishes up next.

STC lights up once more with the debut of Australian gothic play Wonnangatta

Last edited:

trujac, Jun 28, 2020

Well, very interesting theory indeed.

Mr Ashlin said the two were reportedly teenage sweethearts before splitting up.

He says Ms Clay lost her first husband but married for a second time before allegedly divorcing her husband to be with Mr Hill.

“But Russell backed out at the last minute,” Mr Ashlin claimed..

Sounds like she divorced her second husband and not the other way around.

I wonder how she lost her first husband. And is Clay her maiden name

“I think they’ve been murdered”

Last edited:
Well, very interesting theory indeed.
In reality though, I suspect misadventure over staged disappearance or murder--because RH and CC seemingly vanished into thin air...leaving no bread crumbs to track. There have been similar disappearances in several US National Parks--but they're usually a lone child or adult who suddenly disappears off a trail area from a group. In this case, you have two elderly adults, one skilled in outdoor survival camping and a ham radio operator, settled in their campsite--who were known not to be bush walkers or to wander a distance from their tent and vehicle. How do they simply disappear leaving no trace evidence via clothing, cell phone signals, shoe tracks, dropped or broken personal belongings, etc? IMO, had someone out of the blue driven up to RH and CC's campsite and threatened them with a weapon--demanding that they get into a waiting vehicle, I think RH and CC would have put up some sort of resistance. I think they would have realized that they had one chance to save themselves from an unknown and deadly situation. Had that happened--there should have been evidence of struggle--e.g., drag marks, blood drops, torn hair, etc. Had someone tracked them from a town area or somewhere within the valley--there should be some evidence somewhere that they were trailed and stalked. When looking at the tent fire ruins--had someone purposely started the tent fire--why didn't they burn out the interior of RH's truck too? Why leave everything untouched in the truck? It's those puzzling aspects to this case that lead me to think RH and CC's disappearance was some type of accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member