Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, Saltburn, Dec 1992

Detective Chief Inspector Shaun Page said there were “many question marks” over the case....indeed there are? And seem to have very little evidence to implicate murder?

Interesting, too, that there seems to be little real evidence, yet they are parking the "Digivan" or whatever it is, asking for information "close to" the parents' house. All while very publicly arresting and pointing toward the parents. I ask this: I wonder what the consequences of this will be should they not be able to eventually convict the parents?

If they have to give up on the parents as suspects, could Mr. and Mrs. Clark successfully sue for harassment?

Could someone help me out please? I thought in a missing person's case, a person could be declared deceased after 7 years, but only if it was petitioned in a court? So, if that is right - have the parents of Steven, petitioned the court to declare him deceased - because that is odd to me, particularly when the parents have stated ' we can't ever give up hope' - that's a bit of a red flag isn't it? Wouldn't police look at that as a little strange? Maybe that's why they are focussing their attention on the parents.

Could someone help me out please? I thought in a missing person's case, a person could be declared deceased after 7 years, but only if it was petitioned in a court? So, if that is right - have the parents of Steven, petitioned the court to declare him deceased - because that is odd to me, particularly when the parents have stated ' we can't ever give up hope' - that's a bit of a red flag isn't it? Wouldn't police look at that as a little strange? Maybe that's why they are focussing their attention on the parents.

I think that people often need someone legally declared dead after 7 years for financial reasons.
To release funds or be able to claim on a life insurance policy.I do not think this would apply in Steven's case.
His parents have never mentioned him being dead,they have described him as missing.

I think that people often need someone legally declared dead after 7 years for financial reasons.
To release funds or be able to claim on a life insurance policy.I do not think this would apply in Steven's case.
His parents have never mentioned him being dead,they have described him as missing.

Ahh, thanks :) - I think I have confused myself with the title of the thread as Deceased/Missing and then my brain just went somewhere else :oops:

I am also wondering how old the new witness who has now come forward was, at the time of Steven's disappearance - I can't think of many reasons for why this witness wouldn't have come forward the first time round unless they were in their teens/a little older etc. - they wouldn't have realised the importance of what they had seen/may not have been aware of the story as much - there was no social media and all that back then either etc.

This is an interesting point? 7 years is exactly the same time frame the anonymous letter was sent to guisborough police station?

This is an interesting point? 7 years is exactly the same time frame the anonymous letter was sent to guisborough police station?

That is interesting, but, as @Skigh pointed out - the parents haven't declared Steven deceased that we know of, I had confused myself with the thread title having the word 'deceased' in it - I am curious as to why Steven is now presumed deceased however, what has made the police consider this a murder investigation etc.? I do love the 7 yr time frame thought - but I would hate for either of us to be the cause of this thread to be derailed through a misunderstanding. :)

Ahh, thanks :) - I think I have confused myself with the title of the thread as Deceased/Missing and then my brain just went somewhere else :oops:

I am also wondering how old the new witness who has now come forward was, at the time of Steven's disappearance - I can't think of many reasons for why this witness wouldn't have come forward the first time round unless they were in their teens/a little older etc. - they wouldn't have realised the importance of what they had seen/may not have been aware of the story as much - there was no social media and all that back then either etc.

The force said the potential witness was out with her family and reported that Mr Clark passed them as they were walking on the High Street towards Marske square.
The force said the woman saw the 1992 appeal for information about Steven’s whereabouts, and confirmed with her family that it was the missing 23-year-old who they had seen, but she did not think it was relevant to the case at that time.

From reading the above, the witness is described as the woman, not the teenager. Gives me the image of it being an older person.
The sighting was discussed between the family, so it does seem as though a joint decision was made not to report it.

It still confuses me why they would have thought it was irrelevant at the time, given that at the time the appeal was made she would have known it was after Doris said she last saw him. I don't feel confident that they have remembered all these years later the correct timing of their sighting because I think they would have come forward in 1992.

The force said the potential witness was out with her family and reported that Mr Clark passed them as they were walking on the High Street towards Marske square.
The force said the woman saw the 1992 appeal for information about Steven’s whereabouts, and confirmed with her family that it was the missing 23-year-old who they had seen, but she did not think it was relevant to the case at that time.

From reading the above, the witness is described as the woman, not the teenager. Gives me the image of it being an older person.
The sighting was discussed between the family, so it does seem as though a joint decision was made not to report it.

Thank you :)

It still confuses me why they would have thought it was irrelevant at the time, given that at the time the appeal was made she would have known it was after Doris said she last saw him. I don't feel confident that they have remembered all these years later the correct timing of their sighting because I think they would have come forward in 1992.

I agree with this. It still makes no sense at all to me.

I can just about accept remembering seeing someone on a particular date, given that it later turned out to be significant, but an exact time? I just can’t see how anyone could swear to that in court 28 years on, especially when 15-30 minutes could make a huge difference in this case.

Has anyone heard any whereabouts of his sister, I live near Marske, I find it hard to believe anyone didn't see Steven and his Mam walking that day to Saltburn. Why did she think he'd walked home alone? Would he normally walk off and not wait for her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back