Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be the prevailing feeling about LE nowadays. Interesting to see the about face as compared to not so long ago when everyone was completely convinced that LE had this case solved and just hadn't made an arrest because [insert your favorite excuse here]. IMO
Well that was not me. I have been the pessimist. I am pro LE but I am also impatient and hate, really hate when someone gets hurt, let alone murdered. Yes I have complained lately about the local LE in this case, because of things I heard.
But it is of no consequence now because Andy Moorman is pleased with them and has confidence in them. I will take his word. So I will wait just as you will. One day Justice will be served.

Last edited:
I have never seen law enforcement hold regular press conferences in a murder investigation.

Unless they need the public’s help, this is exactly how it’s done.

It’s also rare to have monthly press releases, so we’re a bit spoiled here.
So true. Although I enjoy press conferences and inside scoops as much as the next WSer, I remind myself often that we are not owed ANY explanation for how investigations are run. Sometimes all the info made public and speculating we do might even be a detriment to justice. (??) I don't know, but it is a concern.

Agree.
Fox 21 pulling Lauren amounted to suppressing the case, to the detriment of AMs efforts. Public interest was there.
Although it was disappointing not to hear from LS, I don't believe it did anything to suppress the case or harm Andy's efforts.

Yes, there is public interest, but suppressing the details may actually be to the advantage of the case.

I do wonder if Barry would have kept his promise to attend the vigil if Lauren had been there.

I think BM is incredibly lucky. I think his knowledge of area and his profession regarding rocks and sand and gravel give him an edge in where would be an ideal place to hide a body. Even a radius of a quarter of a mile from the place she was murdered would offer up thousands of places to hide a body.

Draw a circle with a radius on a map
I am optimistic that SM will be found and here's why. I keep circling back to a verifiable timeline (which we don't have but I bet LE does). Here's my working hypothesis.
  1. BM was working alone.
  2. There is finite amount of time to disappear her and LE most likely knows what that time line looks like.
  3. She was probably disappeared under the cover of darkness which pulls the timeline in.
  4. The terrain out there is very rough and walking it at night could easily lead to a broken ankle so I don't think she was taken to some inaccessible hiding spot
  5. Given #4, the location had to be drivable by truck and possibly bobcat
  6. Loading a bobcat on and off a trailer by yourself at night could be time consuming, difficult and noisy so I don't think the bobcat is in play, that leaves just the truck.
  7. Combine the above with truck GPS and other (cell phone) electronic data I think you can probably get very close to points of interest. BM may have had head start but as LE tightens up the details they are zeroing in on the truth. They are going to find her one way or the other (the other being that BM could just break under the stress and lead them to her). JMO

I think BM is incredibly lucky. I think his knowledge of area and his profession regarding rocks and sand and gravel give him an edge in where would be an ideal place to hide a body. Even a radius of a quarter of a mile from the place she was murdered would offer up thousands of places to hide a body.

Draw a circle with a radius on a map
This is exactly how I view BM as well. His knowledge and the tools he had at his disposal helped him far more than the average killer. (Not that there's anything average about killing or killers.) I still have a lot of hope that LE is building a solid case in order to take this to trial. MOO

The more we’ve learned, the less prepared I believe he was.

All he did right was disappear for a few hours, and use that time to hide Suzanne’s body.

It’s not so much that he’s gotten lucky, as much as it is that he had a huge advantage. There are no shortage of places to hide a body in that area.

BAM!!! as @Warwick7 would say. So very true!

I still think rage killing... His trip to Broomfield including asking his workers to get down there on very short notice seems disorganized and not planned/thought throu to me. Or am i missing something?

BAM!!! as @Warwick7 would say. So very true!

I still think rage killing... His trip to Broomfield including asking his workers to get down there on very short notice seems disorganized and not planned/thought throu to me. Or am i missing something?

This is what I’m really trying to wrap my ahead around, as far as the timeline and other details relating to this trip. Again, it’s just a matter of me studying the case details, which all of you have already provided.

So, what is the consensus here, re: the bleach? Did he come here to clean up? Shower? Change clothes? Or worse yet, use the bathtub for...

Re: setting up an alibi, tools, work materials...

How does this whole Broomfield thing fit into the timeline and circumstances? Again, I am very familiar with this area.

Last edited:
My gut feeling tells me Suzanne is nowhere near Salida. She could be somewhere on property along the drive to Broomfiled. There is more to Broomfield than an alibi. She is somewhere on the 3 hour drive which is a lot of miles to search. I couldn't imagine she would have been left close to or on morphew property. Also as sick as this might sound.... Asphyxiation doesn't leave too much to clean up....unless something natural occurs after death. She may have been moved in a car and left somewhere along the way.
I can’t imagine him driving that far with a body in the car. Even if he did it in the middle of the night, it’s a huge risk. The only way I can see him putting Suzanne that far away is if she was drugged first, then murdered wherever he left her. If he was pulled over by LE, he could say she was sleeping or passed out drunk.
JMO

This is what I’m really trying to wrap my ahead around, as far as the timeline and other details relating to this trip. Again, it’s just a matter of me studying the case details, which all of you have already provided.

So, what is the consensus here, re: the bleach? Did he come here to clean up? Shower? Change clothes? Or worse yet, use the bathtub for...

How does this whole Broomfield thing fit into the timeline and circumstances? Again, I am very familiar with this area.

Hey Magz! ❤︎
Good to see ya on this thread.
Be careful, it can drain your emotions fast.

bbm
Yep. ^^^

Graphic comment :

How much do you want to bet (figuratively) BM goes out to 'check' on her and the burial site at some point--- to make sure no one has disturbed his "scene" ?
Because he controls this.

So for a looong time now LE will have their eyes on him and his cronies.
Watching where he travels to, and with whom he speaks.
Not as if they're bugging his home or condo.
Just observing him.
( You know, that same pesky LE who mishandled evidence and allowed ten cops to touch her bike, etc.? ;) )
You don't get away with much in this world anymore, even more so now with electronic devices.
Imo.
Its reassuring to know LE where watching that site the night Andy supposedly stood guard and he didn't know a thing about it.
Gives me confidence if true, they are all over this.

But at the other end of the spectrum.
We all know LE were ALL OVER Leticia Stauch and yet she managed to access Gannon and take him across country...discard him without detection.

LE had NO HAND in finding him. Pure coincidence and blessing that a road crew happened upon him.

Epic task against a man whom digs holes and retains them for a living.:(
Think its going to be a no body case.

moo

Re: setting up an alibi, tools, work materials...

I’m not exactly sure how it all fits in, but according to Andy, he’s under the impression that the perp had a 3.5 hour window under the cover of darkness.

Now, how he knows this? I’m not sure, but I can wager that he is privy to way more information than those of us here at WS. JMO

I’m not exactly sure how it all fits in, but according to Andy, he’s under the impression that the perp had a 3.5 hour window under the cover of darkness.

Now, how he knows this? I’m not sure, but I can wager that he is privy to way more information than those of us here at WS. JMO

(Thank you. I’d like to share an example of a model I created in baby Amiah Robertson’s case, which may or may not be helpful here. Making note to pick up here.)

I can’t imagine him driving that far with a body in the car. Even if he did it in the middle of the night, it’s a huge risk. The only way I can see him putting Suzanne that far away is if she was drugged first, then murdered wherever he left her. If he was pulled over by LE, he could say she was sleeping or passed out drunk.
JMO

She was a fairly small woman. I can see her being put in a construction crew size ice chest and being taken as far away as her killer wanted to go, before disposing of her body with minimal risk.

She was a fairly small woman. I can see her being put in a construction crew size ice chest and being taken as far away as her killer wanted to go, before disposing of her body with minimal risk.
There’s a lot of land between Maysville and Broomfield, and a lot of days between the last sighting and the neighbor’s call to 911.

And it's not just in this case. I went through more than a year's worth of local newspaper articles about major crimes in Salida/Chaffee County and the Sheriff is equally non-forthcoming about all of them. There are virtually no articles about what's going on in those other cases (which include attempted murder and kidnapping).
Now, that's disappointing, because I thought, this case is an exception of the rules to catch not only a "wife-killer" but with some higher goal behind.
ETA: deleted part of my text

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is something to think seriously about:

Four months in, LE has not informed the public how tall SM was, how much she weighed, if she had any distinguishing marks, or what she might have been wearing the day of her disappearance.

After six days if intense searching in Colorado, AM did not inform the the public how tall his little sister was, how much she weighed, if she had any distinguishing marks, or what she might have been wearing the day of her disappearance.

IMO

I’m sure this has been mentioned/discussed, but also locations that take construction waste and fire related disposal, for example, on a big scale, the Staten Island landfill, Fresh Kills (terrible name) which took the 9/11 remnants. Of course, really he could have used any dumpster, if that happened to be one of the many possible outlets he chose (dumpster as opposed to say, forest burial, water, mountain, concrete, etc.).

Gosh it is sickening to type these things. Again he fights fires. That says a lot, obviously. (AA in Mackenzie Lueck’s case comes to mind, or Travis Forbes, the list is endless). And firefighters are also trained to do a lot more than just fight fires. That is just one of the many things they are skilled to do.

As I stated previously, this is a very, very challenging case wrt to all this stuff we are talking about.

Who know, maybe he was really, really stupid and applied none of his skills or resources. But if I had to guess, I’d say otherwise.

Last edited:
Has anyone created a list of the questions about BM or his questionable behavior? I really just started reading this case regularly the end of last week, whereas before I would pop in here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd