Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading through the other recent disappearances in that area, as I was helping another member collate some info about 'missing person patterns' and I noticed this.

Conrad Whitlock - disappeared 29 July 2019/30 July 2019 - extensive searches, family member expressing concern on Mt Buller FB page - police conclusion is Conrad was walking about dazed and confused and became lost

Niels Becker - disappeared between 24 October and 29 October 2019 - extensive searches, police conclusion is Niels likely succumbed to hypothermia

Russell Hill and Carol Clay - disappeared 20 March 2020 - extensive searches, police conclusion is Russell and Carol may have been victims of foul play

And an older one ... Warren Meyer - disappeared on 23 March 2008 - police have not ruled out foul play

My thought is that the police generally have a pretty good handle on the different situations. They don't seem to jump to 'foul play' or 'lost in the bush' easily.
I am thinking that - like Warren Meyer - there must be some indication of others involvement in Russell and Carol's disappearance.

Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management
https://www.smh.com.au/national/pot...sing-man-conrad-whitlock-20190801-p52d2u.html

Fit hiker may have succumbed to hypothermia in Victoria's high country, police say

Dark twist in case of missing campers as police suspect foul play was involved in the disappearance and probe the couple's last 18 hours following a chilling radio call

Warren MEYER

Were these during the full moon phase? Studies now indicate a correlation between full moons and people being more on edge, angry or otherwise stirred up. Miami PD has numbers that show violent crimes dramatically rise during full moons.

<RSBM>
I’m not convinced it wasn’t foul play. And the drone caused it. But at this point, I don’t think they will ever be found.

I tend to agree that it is unlikely Russell and Carol will ever be found. After reading the extensive media publications about the disappearance of Warren Meyer, 12 years ago, I don't think the police were ever able to track down the approx 8 people in multiple vehicles that they wanted to speak with about Warren's disappearance.

I think the only things that will uncover Russell and Carol's whereabouts is a chance 'finding', or proving that this is foul play and having a perp(s) lead them to Russell and Carol - presumably after being offered some kind of deal.

I am also wondering if 'meticulous' Russell had insurance for his expensive drone ... perhaps included as a 'special item' with his home insurance policy, as can be done. Special items do not have to be destroyed/lost within the home. I know that on my own policy my special items can be lost outside of my home and still be covered.

That’s a lot of stuff in such a small area
considering it’s been melted down.

View attachment 266124
Yes and it seems strange that if you were camping in different spots that you would have so much stuff out, I would just have the basics if you were packing up and moving on .... and it doesn’t sound very relaxing, most people usually set up and then go off for day trips ... sounds likeRH couldn’t sit still!

Yes and it seems strange that if you were camping in different spots that you would have so much stuff out, I would just have the basics if you were packing up and moving on .... and it doesn’t sound very relaxing, most people usually set up and then go off for day trips ... sounds likeRH couldn’t sit still!

Did we consider murder suicide?

I wish I knew what medical conditions Ol'Russell had.

Article dated 30th September 2020 You need to be a subscriber to read the full article. There is a link to the full article below the snippet.

Renewed search for missing pair » Mansfield Courier

Victoria Police has renewed calls for assistance in the baffling case of the Wonnangatta campers.

In a statement to North East Media, Police Media said that “the majority of searching is for any physical evidence and involves personnel on the ground there looking through bushland”.

Edited to add the link to the full article for those who subscribe

North East Media

Yup. Just following their timeline (which I have lost the link to, sorry). Race off from Pakenham on 19/3, stay at Howitt High plains, camping (so have to set up, then pack up again next morning), rush off and spend the day driving to Wonnangatta valley 20/3 (needing directions from friend on radio), set up camp at dusk in a rush - then, apparently planning to leave again the next day or in 2 days to head home (again, needing directions on the radio)! Was CC really not enjoying the trip? Why even bother going if they were in such a rush? I honestly don't know many campers who love packing up and resetting camp virtually every night and morning. Especially that they had the full set up, it looked like the tent was full of gear! Maybe they were eaten by Jumping jack ants after setting up camp on a nest in the dark and the mystery will never be solved! I still think they got lost/shot searching for drone, tent burnt after overcharged drone battery exploded (people who are happy to spend 2 grand on a drone would have one battery to charge and one in use.

I thought Carol told her daughter that she was going camping for about 10 days but it seems RH said otherwise.

i cant remember, did russell buy the drone very recently, between his solo trip and the last trip with carol?
did he see something on his solo trip that he wanted to investigate further so bought a drone for the job,
was it something exciting he wanted carol to see and the reason why they were quickly changing camping locations?
a drug crop, a field of pretty opium poppies, beautiful abandoned cottage, amazing rock carvings?
that quick solo trip russell did maybe wasnt so odd as was just a normal trip and the next trip days later with carol was to investigate what he saw?

i thought murder suicide too initially, but wonder would it be done miles from camp, unless it was done on a romantic walk somewhere in the bush?
and who lit the fire and threw everything onto it and put it out before it damaged the 4wd?

i cant remember, did russell buy the drone very recently, between his solo trip and the last trip with carol?
did he see something on his solo trip that he wanted to investigate further so bought a drone for the job,
was it something exciting he wanted carol to see and the reason why they were quickly changing camping locations?
a drug crop, a field of pretty opium poppies, beautiful abandoned cottage, amazing rock carvings?
that quick solo trip russell did maybe wasnt so odd as was just a normal trip and the next trip days later with carol was to investigate what he saw?

In that case, why didn't they drive straight through to Wonnangatta on the first day? It was a six hour journey and they left early in the morning.

Hey all. Very interesting reading indeed.

My maiden post so please be gentle :)

I am intrigued by the fire marks left on the truck, definitely something odd with the straight lines/outline on the side of the vehicle. Tarp draped over it maybe?

I agree with Trujac in that CC didnt seem to be the outside, rough it, kind, but as we all know - looks can be very deceiving, and past comments of her accompany RH on previous camping trips might shoot my initial thoughts down.

So many questions, to a mystery that I honestly believe we will get an answer to eventually - hopefully sooner rather than later for their families and friends.

Cheers truth hunters...

The truth is out there
Welcome @Fox Mulder = the truth
Great first post
Regarding yours and other Websleuths assertions that she didn’t seem the type to’rough’ it. I find it amusing (but not in a sarcastic/sleight against any of you), because I am always referred to as being very glamorous and well made up , well presented etc yet I am more of what I term ‘ a boy ‘ than I am a girl’ inasmuch as I have a motorbike licence and I enjoy most male oriented activities than I do female ones and before I am jumped upon for being sexist or stereotypical, I’m not saying it in an insulting way, I am merely trying to make a point that just because she looks like the type who would much prefer to spend time in a beauty salon than she would out camping in the bush, doesn’t mean that’s the case.
In respect of murder/suicide and having investigated a few such cases, without going into any professional detail, this case does not IMOO have any of the hallmarks of a murder /suicide that I would expect to see. I think something nefarious has occurred and unfortunately , they met their end, and are just waiting to be found to enable a proper burial.

Hi Sleuths,
Another newbie here! I've been following this since the start and you've got some well thought out possibilities on the fate of RH & CC.

Just to add my 2 bobs worth, I wonder if RH really did go camping for the 2 days, the week or so prior to their fateful trip. Could it be that RH was helping CC move house or he just went over there to stay the night and the camping was a decoy? I recall seeing in a previous post that she'd only just moved into her new unit.

Hi Sleuths,
Another newbie here! I've been following this since the start and you've got some well thought out possibilities on the fate of RH & CC.

Just to add my 2 bobs worth, I wonder if RH really did go camping for the 2 days, the week or so prior to their fateful trip. Could it be that RH was helping CC move house or he just went over there to stay the night and the camping was a decoy? I recall seeing in a previous post that she'd only just moved into her new unit.

True, it would make sense that he went "camping" for a couple of days to help her move house! Apparently she had moved in about a week before their camping trip and RH had gone camping around the same time she moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288