Found Deceased CA - Juan Carlos "Cookie" Hernandez, 21, Los Angeles, 22 Sept 2020 *arrest*

kelsie

Former Member
Reaction score
‘He couldn’t just have disappeared’: South L.A. mom pleads for return of missing 21-year-old son | KTLA

Screen-Shot-2020-09-25-at-9.52.43-PM.png

Juan was last seen working as a clerk at VIP Collective, a cannabis dispensary in South L.A. The security guards at the dispensary say they closed the shop at 10 p.m. and parted ways, according to Yajaira Hernandez.

“I’m just thinking my son is probably out there somewhere, either hurt, or possibly dead, because like I said, he couldn’t just have disappeared,” the concerned mother said.

On Thursday morning, Juan’s mom’s car that he borrowed was found on Figueroa and 64th streets.

“What LAPD said, that working girls on Figueroa stated they had noticed the car running for a few hours,” Yajaira Hernandez said. “It’s a very hot spot where they drop off vehicles and stuff like that.”

Juan hasn’t called or texted any family or friends, which his mother says is out of character for him.

Family Seeks Help Finding Missing 21-Year-Old Man In South L.A.

The family of Juan Hernandez is asking for the public's help in finding him after the 21-year-old did not come home from work Tuesday night. Hernandez was last seen Tuesday at 10 p.m. driving a 2020 Honda Civic near Western Avenue and 81st Street.

Hernandez is a Latino male, 6'2" and 225 pounds, with black hair and glasses. He was last seen wearing a grey hoodie, white shorts, and black Vans.

He'd just started a job at a marijuana dispensary after being laid off from his previous job due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Juan's aunt, [SM], says Juan is a marathon runner who is close to his family and who hasn't ever had any issues before this.

"This is not in his character, my nephew is very responsible and he's very humble," she said.

6598132_092720-kabc-sat-11pm-juan-hernandez-vid.jpg
Family of missing South LA man desperate for answers after 21-year-old's car found still running - video at link

His FB page: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Investigation underway for missing 21-year-old
According to Yajaira Hernandez, she didn’t become concerned for her son until she woke up on Wednesday morning, and found his bed empty, reports KTLA5. After realizing that Juan never came home, Yajaira reported him missing. According to MSN, on Thursday, around 3:20 am, police found Yajaira’s 2020 Honda Civic at Figueroa St and 64th Avenue. Yajaira states that Juan would frequently borrow her car and last saw him driving it to work. Investigators discovered the car undamaged, with Juan’s belongings still inside. According to several witnesses, the car had been running for a few hours before officials could locate it.

Missing 21-Year -Old Young Man NR20242ne - Los Angeles Police Department
Tuesday, September 29, 2020
logo_mediarelations.gif

Missing 21-Year -Old Young Man NR20242ne
Los Angeles: The family and friends of Juan Carlos Hernandez and the Los Angeles Police Department are requesting the public's assistance in locating him.

Juan was last seen on September 26, 2020, near the 3200 hundred block of West Adams Boulevard in Los Angeles. He was wearing a gray hoodie, light colored shorts, long black socks and dark Vans. He hasn't been seen since and his family is concerned.

Juan is described as a male Hispanic, brown hair, brown eyes, 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 215 pounds.

MP%20Juan%20Hernandez.jpg
If you have seen Juan Carlos Hernandez or have any information regarding his whereabouts please contact the Los Angeles Police Department, Missing Persons Unit, at (213) 996-1800. During non-business hours or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-LAPD-24-7.

Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call the L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477) or go directly to www.lacrimestoppers.org. Tipsters may also visit www.lapdonline.org, and click on "Anonymous Web Tips" under the "Get Involved-Crime Stoppers" menu to submit an online tip. Lastly, tipsters may also download the "P3 Tips" mobile application and select the L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers as their local program.

So confusing. Now he was last seen September 26, 2020, near the 3200 hundred block of West Adams Boulevard in Los Angeles?

Yeah, that date doesn’t seem right. Didn’t the earliest articles come out before the 26th?

This is an LA Times article that came out today, Oct 1.

'I will do everything I can to find you.' As mother frets over missing son, LAPD investigates
The car was intact,” a surprised Hernández said. She said money that had been left inside the car was still there, but none of her son’s belongings were. “Everything was in the car. But there was no sign that my son had even been driving it.”
I know other articles have said all his belongings were in the car, but this one says the opposite.

A detective at the LAPD said his case moved quickly from the Missing Persons Unit to the Robbery-Homicide Unit:
“At Missing Persons, we don’t handle anything criminal,” he said. “Once there’s any criminal aspect to the investigation, it’s going to go to a detective division that handles the criminal aspect of it.”

He sounds like a great young man who had it together; well adjusted, with a caring family. I see the family started a fundraising page and purchased banners to put over fwy overpasses for visibility and are doing what they can to keep the word out.

I can’t come up with scenarios for what could have happened. But that he hasn’t contacted his family after this many days is very concerning.

'I will do everything I can to find you.' As mother frets over missing son, LAPD investigates

Every time he left the house, Juan Carlos Hernández stayed in touch with his loved ones. After leaving work, as he made his way home, he would text his mother and younger brother: “Have you eaten? Want something? I’m going to stop and buy tacos.”

A week ago, after finishing work for the day, he once again sent a message, saying that he was coming home. But he never got there — and no one knows what happened to him.

The 21-year-old is a student at El Camino College with a semester left to go before transferring to USC, where he plans to study engineering. He has played sports since before college, and teammates and other friends have taken to posting on social media in the hopes of getting information about his whereabouts.

She said that he also likes to jog and that when he was in the 10th grade, he ran in his first marathon. He joined several groups that jogged around the streets of L.A.

He spent six years studying robotics in the Neighborhood Academic Initiative program, which was run by USC. It’s what inspired him to pursue engineering as a career, his mother said.

Det. O. Cansino of the LAPD’s Missing Persons Unit said Thursday that the case has been moved to the department’s Robbery-Homicide Unit.

On Thursday, the Honda Civic was found about 2:30 a.m. a few miles from where her son worked.

“The car was intact,” a surprised Hernández said. She said money that had been left inside the car was still there, but none of her son’s belongings were. “Everything was in the car. But there was no sign that my son had even been driving it.”

Hernández said she finds herself reflecting on how attentive and affectionate her son is. Sometimes, she said, he would miss work to take his mother to the doctor; he worried about her, especially when she struggled with bouts of depression.

“He was always very attentive, careful — always supporting me in whatever I needed,” she said.

“Keep searching. Keep sharing his photos on social media,” his mother said. “I’m asking police to do whatever they can, to use the resources that I don’t have as a mother. See what they can find in video cameras; maybe they can get people to talk who won’t talk with us.”

She also delivered a message to her missing son: “To Juan, I want to say that I will not give up. I will be strong, and I will do everything I can to find you. I will move the heavens and the Earth until you come back to us. We love you. We miss you. And we’re all worried about you.”

---
I am very confused about the comment I bolded regarding the belongings in Juan's car. I will email the reporter for clarification.

'I will do everything I can to find you.' As mother frets over missing son, LAPD

“The car was intact,” a surprised Hernández said. She said money that had been left inside the car was still there, but none of her son’s belongings were. “Everything was in the car. But there was no sign that my son had even been driving it.”
I am very confused about the comment I bolded regarding the belongings in Juan's car. I will email the reporter for clarification.
Snipped for focus:
No sign he was even driving it. So was the seat in a position that didn’t fit his height/normal position? Will wait for clarity from your email. MOO

This is the LA Times article in Spanish. I put the part about the state of the car in Google translate (I don’t speak Spanish) to see if it gave a different connotation:
‘Lo extraño y todos estamos preocupados’: Madre mexicana busca desesperada a su hijo en Los Ángeles
El carro estaba intacto”, dijo sorprendida la mujer, al detallar que encontró el dinero que había dejado en el interior del vehículo, el cual no tenía nada quebrado ni golpe alguno.

“Todo estaba en el carro, todo menos ninguna huella de que mi hijo estuvo manejándolo”, apuntó Yajaira, al indicar que ninguna pertenencia del joven estaba en el vehículo.

Google translate:
“The car was intact, ”the woman said in surprise, detailing that she found the money that she had left inside the vehicle, which had nothing broken or any blow.

"Everything was in the car, everything except no trace that my son was driving it," said Yajaira, indicating that none of the young man's belongings were in the vehicle.”
I know Google Translate isn’t always very good at nuances in language. But, if in this case it is, from it I gather that the car was found looking normal, not stripped of any of its parts as happens a lot in stolen cars. But, none of Juan’s things were in the car, which I guess would be things such as his backpack, jacket (some articles mention a backpack and hoodie), and perhaps wallet, phone, etc.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back