GUILTY TN - Lisa, 55, & Joel Guy Sr, 61, dismembered, Knoxville, 25 Nov 2016 *Son Arrested*

WHAT!???? Imagine if they find him NG

You never know, but I don't think that will happen. The jury has a huge number of exhibits sitting back in the jury room. The jury might think they would look derelict in their duty if they don't at least look at it.

I'm sure the jury doesn't want to leave the defense lawyers any legal grounds to overturn their verdict on appeal.

You can be sure the defense lawyers will appeal.

The ONLY time I saw emotion from him. He looked like he was going to cry.
I am surprised that McCracken isn't being used by Guy's attorney as an attempt at a defense. I don't know if they were more than friends/roommates but McCracken moving out of their shared apartment, financial stress, a break-up of the only significant relationship to Guy, Jr could show evidence for going over the edge of sanity. May be far fetched and I am embarrassed to write it, but thinking like a criminal attorney; I am intrigued there is little defense strategy to excuse such heinousness.

Joel Guy Jr. Trial, Day Four: Jury ends deliberations for day, to resume Friday morning

Knox County jurors stopped deliberating for the day about 5 p.m. Thursday in the Joel Guy murder trial, telling Judge Steve Sword they wanted to come back Friday morning to resume.

They deliberated about two hours in the first-degree murder, felony murder and abuse of a corpse case.

Sword excused them with the caution not to think about the case Thursday night and to avoid seeing or reading any coverage about it.

Sword asked them to return 10 a.m. Friday to continue their closed-door talks about the charges against Guy.

If convicted of killing his parents in November 2016, the 32-year-old Guy likely will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

The state didn't seek the death penalty, although Guy sought without luck before trial to allow Sword to impose it himself. Sword said that choice was neither his nor Guy's to make.

Joel Jr. is still trying to collect the insurance money. He has filed a civil suit and is acting as his own attorney. Naturally his relatives do not agree.

His sisters have hired their own lawyer to oppose this. That lawyer gave a video interview in this link.

10/1/20 Lawyer of Joel Guy Jr.'s Sisters Speaks to Court TV - Court TV
Most insurance policies have a clause that prohibits a beneficiary from benefitting from payout in the event that they are convicted for causing death. I don’t think the sisters’ attorney is going to have to work too hard on this. Imo

Glad for guilty verdict & life sentences- especially since killer preferred DP. Either he was looking forward to all those appeals & access to legal library, or he is too lazy to even perform his own suicide, needing the state to do it for him. Good riddance for society either way. Jmo

Most insurance policies have a clause that prohibits a beneficiary from benefitting from payout in the event that they are convicted for causing death. I don’t think the sisters’ attorney is going to have to work too hard on this. Imo

Glad for guilty verdict & life sentences- especially since killer preferred DP. Either he was looking forward to all those appeals & access to legal library, or he is too lazy to even perform his own suicide, needing the state to do it for him. Good riddance for society either way. Jmo
I wonder if Guy, Jr did some research into this before his crime and is convinced he is entitled to the insurance payout. I remember reading a case where a husband and wife were murdered. The beneficiaries were wife and two childr

I wonder if Guy, Jr already did is homework on the insurance policy since he is so convinced he is entitled to a pay out. I think since evidence shows Guy, Sr died first he would not be entitled to a beneficiary pay out from his wife's insurance therefore I don't think his daughters would have any entitlement to any of it either. I'd be interested in the outcome of their case.

It was heart wrenching watching the family speak yesterday especially the last sister to speak. You can tell she probably had her statement written for years. I don't blame her for never forgiving him. I hope they can start to try and heal a bit.

Joel Guy Jr. guilty of murdering and dismembering parents in 2016 | wbir.com

"Michelle Tyler, daughter of the Guys, said her children must live with the horror of knowing what Guy Jr. did, including severing Lisa Guy's head from her body and putting it in a pot to cook.

"It is my hope that we were able to provide a small amount of hope and comfort to the family," Knox County District Attorney General Charme Allen said.

Allen said her office will seek two consecutive life sentences for Guy, which means he would need to serve a total of 102 years in prison before being eligible for parole. He potentially faces more time for abuse of a corpse, pending his sentencing in November.

Knox County Sheriff Tom Spangler said in a statement Friday "he’s hopeful the family can begin healing from this tragic loss and wishes to thank the deputies, detectives, Forensic Unit & support staff for their hard work and diligence in this case.

"It is cases like these that weigh heavy on the hearts of all first responders. Additionally, I want to commend the District Attorney General & her staff for a job well done. Everyone at the Knox County Sheriff’s Office extends our sincere prayers and heartfelt condolences to the family & friends of Mr. & Mrs Guy."

I’ve watched all the court videos. Do we know why he had not returned to the scene to finish up? And they briefly touch on it during trial but his dads hands were placed specifically in the way they were and said “we would find out later why”. But I missed the why. Does anyone know? This case was so disturbing and his responses while watching were just as bad. So sad for the surviving family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back