Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to give a THANKS! shout out to ????, whomever stated and all the others about freezing milk. I had no idea in my *cough* years that that can be done. I did it, and took it out a few days ago. It is perfect! Normal! No *freezer burn* taste or any off taste at all. How did I live my *cough* years and not know such. Thanks to those on this thread for sharing!
I’ve learned to freeze butter and cheese. They taste fresh and don’t take long to defrost.

Just want to give a THANKS! shout out to ????, whomever stated and all the others about freezing milk. I had no idea in my *cough* years that that can be done. I did it, and took it out a few days ago. It is perfect! Normal! No *freezer burn* taste or any off taste at all. How did I live my *cough* years and not know such. Thanks to those on this thread for sharing!
I’ve learned to freeze butter and cheese. They taste fresh and don’t take long to defrost.
Even though we have an unopened 9-pack of TP, DH got a 30-roll bundle at Costco last weekend. There was plenty in stock and no restrictions, so he wasn't depriving other customers. With fall/winter approaching, flu season and COVID colliding, there are likely to be shortages of many products that were hard to find once the pandemic started. I wouldn't hold it against anyone who wants to plan ahead and be prepared. Costco still has no disinfectant wipes or Lysol spray, but we will keep looking for them.
Our Costco has gallon size Lysol concentrate liquid and Lemon Pinesol. Pinesol has recently been approved for FDA as long as it’s used full strength.

Do you think everyone is panicking again, second wave theory happening?
I find it fascinating (perhaps worrying) that suddenly, most countries are going back into various forms of lockdown even though the death rates have dropped dramatically.
Wales has been divided up and people not only cannot mingle amongst households, they cannot leave their geographical areas without due cause.
Parts of Britain are under severe lockdown and in very small 'bubbles' as well.

In Toronto, we are possibly looking at a second version of lockdown but the powers that be seem to be torn between letting the economy uprighted and this 'scary' second wave. We didnt even have a proper first wave.
Yes, many people in nursing homes died but not the elderly in their own homes, they were fine.

Wish I knew what was behind all of this; I remember polio before there was a vaccine and how worried my parents were about the kids but it was nothing like this COVID thing.

Rant over.

Pretty much no one in this area is panicking. Frozen vegetable aisle is picked clean. No almond milk. No peanut butter. We have plenty in Tp in
our store. They don’t have the items to stock them. We know all the managers personally. O stock in back.

Went to two stores today, prices are rising significantly on items. Either that, or I just have not been to the store much this summer. Lots of items gone. Paper towels, canning supplies.

Canning supplies have been out for months here. I got on Ace Hardware's website yesterday though and saw some jars. I ordered 2 cases. Limit 1 per variety. The next day I ordered 2 more of two different varieties. An hour later they were all canceled.

I got on Walmart this morning and saw some jars! I ordered 4 cases. 2 were canceled. The only ones I got were the half gallon jars I can only use to store dehydrated food.

I found some on the Tractor Supply website next. I ordered 4 cases of quarts. A few hours later the website lists them as sold out. I wonder how many days I have to wait before being told they are not available.

I ordered bulk lids months ago and they are still backordered. Not sure if I'll end up getting them. I ordered some Tattler reusable lids a week ago and it sounds like they are taking at least a month to arrive places. It's pretty crazy! I am so glad I bought some earlier this year so I was able to eat least put up most of our garden produce. But I have hundreds of pounds of pumpkins on my porch right now I have to put up.

Pretty much no one in this area is panicking. Frozen vegetable aisle is picked clean. No almond milk. No peanut butter. We have plenty in Tp in
our store. They don’t have the items to stock them. We know all the managers personally. O stock in back.

We are not panic buying. BUT we've slowly bought extra here and there for months now. However, yes, here in GA the frozen produce section is constantly low. Aldi hasn't had peas or corn for months. They are always out of canned pumpkin. Tonight at Walmart I managed to find the last few bags of peas and some of corn. So many empty spots on the shelves but especially noticeable in frozen foods.

I asked a worker at walmart if they had canned pumpkin. She said they were constantly out and it was strange because they normally have so much pumpkin this time of year and through Christmas. I managed to get several small jars of libby's pumpkin. But the pumpkin area was like 90% empty at least. But that was the best we'd seen in a month.

Personally I think there are some serious supply chain issues or shortages not being discussed openly. The grocery situation just doesn't make sense at this point. I did find and bought 4 lysol sprays at almost $6 each! But as I'd not seen any in over 6 months I didn't feel guilty buying 4. Oh well.

Publix here has had shortages of canned goods, pasta, rice etc. consistently since March. I really don't bother shopping there, unless there are non-food items on sale that I need.
Kroger has generally been much better stocked, but I wasn't able to find toilet tissue there until late August/early September.
Aldi and Dollar General , have been better stocked throughout this situation.

interesting to read that Walmarts in different States are out of the same products as here in Canada
Walmart has revised its delivery to compete with amazon, I think.

Usually they ship it. Now they’re doing it like Instacart, delivered directly from the store like amazon does Whole Foods. I think it was $8? They offer an annual plan. I declined as I’ve been slowly gathering my winter items over the summer and have sufficient canned and dry items now as we enter this new season and dynamic with flu season (with a terrible baseline).

These items include canned goods, rice, salsa, noodles, broth, etc.

We are not panic buying. BUT we've slowly bought extra here and there for months now. However, yes, here in GA the frozen produce section is constantly low. Aldi hasn't had peas or corn for months. They are always out of canned pumpkin. Tonight at Walmart I managed to find the last few bags of peas and some of corn. So many empty spots on the shelves but especially noticeable in frozen foods.

I asked a worker at walmart if they had canned pumpkin. She said they were constantly out and it was strange because they normally have so much pumpkin this time of year and through Christmas. I managed to get several small jars of libby's pumpkin. But the pumpkin area was like 90% empty at least. But that was the best we'd seen in a month.

Weird. Really weird. What’s with GA?

The frozen food veggies section here in California has been pretty hit and miss since March. My brother works in food processing. He runs the largest olive factory in the US. He says demand has doubled in the past six months so they can’t keep up even running the plant 24/7. He says all the other food processing plants up and down California have the same issue. People must be filling their pantries, fridges and freezers to the max.

Publix here has had shortages of canned goods, pasta, rice etc. consistently since March. I really don't bother shopping there, unless there are non-food items on sale that I need.
Kroger has generally been much better stocked, but I wasn't able to find toilet tissue there until late August/early September.
Aldi and Dollar General , have been better stocked throughout this situation.

For the longest time the only TP we could get was this vile TP Aldi carried. It was the ONLY TP they carried for months. The last couple of months though I've been able to get my usually monthly sub and save from Amazon so have some decent TP stored now. Ugh, my dh told the kids to stop bringing it to the bathrooms. We'd just save that stuff for the apocalypse. LOL

The frozen food veggies section here in California has been pretty hit and miss since March. My brother works in food processing. He runs the largest olive factory in the US. He says demand has doubled in the past six months so they can’t keep up even running the plant 24/7. He says all the other food processing plants up and down California have the same issue. People must be filling their pantries, fridges and freezers to the max.

That's interesting to hear. Thanks for sharing! I've not stocked up on olives. But I did tell dh the other day we should grab a few cans from Aldi.

Reading through these latest posts and my heart goes out to y'all! Here in MN, our stores are pretty much 99% recovered. To me, some seem almost overstocked. I was at my local Walmart yesterday and they had the holiday baking stuff out. Full pallet of canned pumpkin along with all the other baking goodies.
As for canning supplies, @beatrixpotter if you are still in need, I could ship you some, all our stores are fully stocked with jars, lids and supplies, just pm me and I'd be more than happy to help you out!

Reading through these latest posts and my heart goes out to y'all! Here in MN, our stores are pretty much 99% recovered. To me, some seem almost overstocked. I was at my local Walmart yesterday and they had the holiday baking stuff out. Full pallet of canned pumpkin along with all the other baking goodies.
As for canning supplies, @beatrixpotter if you are still in need, I could ship you some, all our stores are fully stocked with jars, lids and supplies, just pm me and I'd be more than happy to help you out!

That would be amazing! I just saw a video today saying the main producer will not put more stock out in the stores till March 1st!! That is a really long time. I ordered some reusable Tattler lids and I'm trying to decide if I should just order more of those. I could really just use some lids. But the Tattlers are at least a month delayed. I'll PM you tomorrow. Thanks for the offer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaye 502