CO - Lee & Stella Vigil, 70’s, Shot Hiking, Colorado Springs, 3, Oct 2020 *no suspects sought*

JudgeJoe

Reaction score
Lee & Stella Vigil were hiking Edmundson trailhead on East Woodmen Road, located nearly 8 miles north of downtown Colorado Springs. They were reported missing around 8:30 pm Friday night. LE and El Paso County Search and Rescue located their bodies Saturday morning at 12:25 a.m. adjacent to Fountain Creek just off the Santa Fe Trail. They died of gunshot wounds; the case is being investigated as a homicide.

Colorado couple reported missing in Colorado Springs found ...

Last edited:
It is a very sad day when an elderly couple, still fit enough to enjoy hiking in their golden years, cannot do so without being shot to death. I can’t imagine what the motive would be. Most people carry nothing of value when hiking, other than a car key & cell phone. Imo

Last edited:
It is a very sad day when an elderly couple, still fit enough to enjoy hiking in their golden years, cannot do so without being shot to death. I can’t imagine what the motive would be. Most people carry nothing of value when hiking, other than a car key & cell phone. Imo
This is the understatement of the day/week/year...you are spot on. I have friends who live and hike all over that area, where I have joined them at times. What the heck is all I can say, politely.

Could it possibility be a murder/suicide? Not trying to besmirch the character of the couple. Sometimes health concerns trigger this type of extreme behavior. Very sad, however they died.

In the case of double murder, it seems motiveless, considering, as another poster pointed out, hikers wouldn't normally have any valuables other than car keys and basic amounts of cash.

Could it possibility be a murder/suicide? Not trying to besmirch the character of the couple. Sometimes health concerns trigger this type of extreme behavior. Very sad, however they died.

In the case of double murder, it seems motiveless, considering, as another poster pointed out, hikers wouldn't normally have any valuables other than car keys and basic amounts of cash.
I thought of that as well, but LE investigating as homicide. Not sure how they came to that so quickly- location of shots? No firearm nearby? Guessing- those details not out yet.

Apparently they hiked the area a lot so was it random or someone close to them who knew when and where they hiked? It’s heartbreaking.

I would expect a murder suicide of an elderly couple to be at home, not spontaneous. AFA motive, it could be someone who knew that’s where they hiked or random but not robbery.

Lee & Stella Vigil were hiking Edmundson trailhead on East Woodmen Road, located nearly 8 miles north of downtown Colorado Springs. They were reported missing around 8:30 pm Friday night. LE and El Paso County Search and Rescue located their bodies Saturday morning at 12:25 a.m. adjacent to Fountain Creek just off the Santa Fe Trail. They died of gunshot wounds; the case is being investigated as a homicide.

Colorado couple reported missing in Colorado Springs found ...
Daniel Nation's came to mind when I think of Colorado Springs and trails. For those not familiar with him he was arrested for hatchet welding on a trail and had an illegal gun in his trunk. He was at one time looked at in regards to the Delphi murders case.

Missing Colorado couple found shot dead: no arrests expected | Daily Mail Online

'Police in Colorado say no arrests are expected in the deaths of an elderly couple who were found suffering from fatal gunshot wounds near a hiking trail over the weekend.

Officials with the Colorado Springs Police Department announced on Sunday they were not looking for any suspects in the deaths of Lee Vigil, 73, and Stella Vigil, 72."

One last hike together in a place they loved? And they would likely have to use a gun. One was possibly ill as stated above by @watcher9? Some other sort of stressor? And they planned this together. I'm guessing, but seems logical. JMO. RIP to them both.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back