CA CA - Lydia "Dia" Abrams, 65, Idyllwild, 6 Jun 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some fine people here on this thread. I like the way we've all been sharing and getting along. I think we're all sorry we strayed a bit from the TOS rules without realizing it at times.

Thank You @CocoChanel for helping us stay on course to keep this thread open. Keeping Websleuths the best site around. Good people here. We're all here for Lydia "Dia" Abrams.

I found this article from 2013 that is about Dia and her Bonita Vista Ranch, and how they had terrible flooding due to heavy rains and a prior fire in the surrounding area. Isidro is mentioned, too. In fact, it sounds like only the two of them were there on the ranch, at this period of time. No mention of her husband or kids. Did he and the kids stay mostly in La Jolla and she on the Ranch?

A quote: (my bold)
Abrams’ concern is that she doesn’t have enough time to get everything out of the cabins before the current storm begins. There are just Isidro [ranch employee, Isidro Garcia] and I to get everything out,” she said.
Severe flash flood warning • Idyllwild Town Crier

In this article, Isidro sounds like a hard-working man who Dia depended on. And Dia sounds very capable. It’s sad to read he seems to have been pushed out of the Ranch now with Dia missing.

I really hesitate to be judgmental of her kids, though, I agree—what has come out does not sound like they had a very close and loving relationship, and does not put them in a good light. But we don’t know their side of the story. Like they say, there’s (at least!) two sides to every story. So I will be charitable and try to practice restraint.

I mean, maybe the Dad’s truck holds a lot of memories of his Dad for the son. Maybe the Dad had verbally promised it to him. Maybe the kids got distant from their mom due to someone (ahem!) being controlling and not allowing Dia to be her independent self. I don’t think we know, do we?

I found this article from 2013 that is about Dia and her Bonita Vista Ranch, and how they had terrible flooding due to heavy rains and a prior fire in the surrounding area. Isidro is mentioned, too. In fact, it sounds like only the two of them were there on the ranch, at this period of time. No mention of her husband or kids. Did he and the kids stay mostly in La Jolla and she on the Ranch?

A quote: (my bold)

In this article, Isidro sounds like a hard-working man who Dia depended on. And Dia sounds very capable. It’s sad to read he seems to have been pushed out of the Ranch now with Dia missing.

I feel sorry for Isidro. He worked for Dia for 14 yrs. and he sounded happy being employed by her. Then, something changed and the way he describes it he was being treated like a slave, had his hours cut, and his horse rides with his employer Dia they both enjoyed were often curtailed. Why was that allowed to happen to such a loyal employee. I hope someone in the area hires Isidro soon. I'm sure he's going through distress losing his long time employer.

Fiancé of missing woman takes over as trustee of ranch near Idyllwild | cbs8.com

“He cut my hours. I only worked like 28 hours a week. He treated me like a slave,” Garcia said. “He's a mean guy. He's not a nice person, I'll tell you that. I don't trust him anymore. I never trusted him. He’s not a nice person.”

I admit, I'd be arguing with my mother if she turned her/my inheritance into an illegal pot farm, not to mention her leaving it to a bunch of burros. It is a bit on the eccentric side of usual.

Just saying.

So hard to say what happened. So often when LE finally shows their findings we see see and hear so much that was suppressed from us painting a whole new picture. From what has been released I still stand on my thoughts....the so called Fiance knows more than he is saying. Alive or dead he knows more. It could be to protect her from something or someone or he could be the bad guy....but he knows more! Past that....not too sure. I have to say though...this is one of the most interesting cases I've seen in a while. And the missing people around Idyllwild make it even more mysterious.

Dec 12, 2018 - Clem Abrams passes
Clem Abrams (1940 - 2019) - Obituary

June 11, 2019 - Dia Abrams files probate case against Clem's estate (kids are trustees)
https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdf/37...ffairs_of_Trust_Probate_Cod_1598083999615.pdf

Nov 1, 2019 - Kids file opposition in probate court, saying Dia has ownership of ranch and nearby properties, which were in "joint tenancy" before Clem died:
"Clem left property in joint tenancy with Dia, which she inherited and currently enjoys ownership over. Despite living a very nice lifestyle during her marriage to Clem and having her own assets, Dia is now, only after Clem's death, seeking to sidestep the fully-informed agreements she made and seize more of Clem's assets, seeking to entirely derail his efforts as a real estate developer. Aside from the assets that Clem left to her in joint tenancy, Dia is well provided-for in the Trust through being the sole income beneficiary of the Marital Trust created therein."
https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdf/37...7_11-01-19_Objections_Other_1598084000131.pdf

??? - (Kids try to get the truck at some point?)
"Ownership and possession of the dark-green, Ford pickup previously had been a point of contention between Abrams and her adult children, Garcia said.
Court records showed Abrams had been involved in a multi-million dollar probate case involving her children and her late husband’s estate.
Since the Ford truck was titled to Abrams’ late husband, Clem Abrams, the children wanted the vehicle returned."
Fiancé of missing woman takes over as trustee of ranch near Idyllwild | cbs8.com

May 22, 2020 - Abrams transfers properties into Trust:
https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdf/ABRAMSRECORDS.pdf

June 6, 2020 - Abrams missing

The last CBS interview added up with other remarks brings a continuance of impressions on personality traits, MOO.
Based on the track record of some and NOT keeping your nose clean, nature may take its's course.
Actions of some are making personalities clearer...

Last edited:
Shifting to others, still MOO, looking at what is not said or not demonstrated is the lack of caring by some, changing locks or videotaping with no outward sign of caring or the well being of a missing person period.
This paints a demonstrated attitude.
Others who have declined interviews (Moo again) also with CBS is interesting.
Is it all about the money still? MOO MOO MOO, and if I had a tail I'd swish it too, cud chewer... regards

MOO MOO MOO...
Last but not least brings us back to the Trust type... revocable or non revocable, million dollar question.
Revocable trust are the most common, non revocable are much more difficult and trickier...and cost more money.
Hoping that someone with a tad bit more of expertise could take this up.
A revocable trust explains what the next step is, trusting that the trustee does not change things...
If it's revocable I'd trust someone about as far as I could spit, and may not be much farther than social distancing in this situation.
I'm here,
I'm praying for the discovery of Dia, wherever she is... bring it.

Last edited:
MOO MOO MOO...
Last but not least brings us back to the Trust type... revocable or non revocable, million dollar question.
Revocable trust are the most common, non revocable are much more difficult and trickier...and cost moe money.
Hoping that someone with a tad bit more of expertise could take this up.
A revocable trust explains what the next step is, trusting that the trustee does not change things...
If it's revocable I'd trust someone about as far as I could spit, and may not be much farther than social distancing in this situation.
I'm here,
I'm praying for the discovery of Dia, wherever she is... bring it.
I trust I understand what you're saying, lol, but seriously. I can't see how trust comes into play at this point. KH and DF have reportedly taken over the (running of the) ranch, as trustees, but also so much more! There seem to be guests booking the AirBnB properties, the website for the wedding venue is unchanged and working, and loyal friend and ranch hand Isidro is gone. All together, quite a nice come-up. Who can stop them? Its all seems to be legal. I think.

If Dia doesn't return, and isn't found, when will her will be executed, if she has one? Can it be read before she is declared dead? Can her trustees change her trust, meanwhile? Can her other legal issues continue, in her absence? If not, what happens to them? Does she (or her estate) just lose whatever lawsuit is in progress? That doesn't seem fair.

Sorry for the flood of questions. I just have so many.

Dia's trust is a UDT (revocable):
"DIA KENSHALO ABRAMS TRUST, UDT, December 16, 2016"

The trust attorney is "Healey & Healey" per the paperwork.
(Diana picked up the POA paperwork from Palm Springs per the most recent interview with Isidro)
Healey & Healey web site: HOME

Dennis J. Healey notarized Dia's signature on the transfer documents.
https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdf/ABRAMSRECORDS.pdf

I don't work in the law/trust field but here is more information about trusts. (I am a co-trustee of a completely different type of trust, and legalese can still be difficult for me to understand [and was especially for my other half; he still struggles a bit]):
https://www.ialawfirm.com/docs/ARAG_Guidebook_Revocable_Trust.pdf

Last edited:
So if the trust is revocable, it can be changed at the proper point of time... to whatever anyone wants then....

Both KH and Isidro have hinted that she was in a struggle, maybe in danger. KH implies Dia was in outright danger. I think Isidro connected it to some disagreement over the truck, but that was over a year ago. Yes, there has been a court battle with the children and we now know there was some discord over this old truck of Clem's. Yet, it sounds like the kids stayed estranged and didn't come around. Dia maybe felt paranoid what to expect next, and someone found that handy to play upon. As in the tactic to zero in and use someone's weakness to gain more power and control.

All MOO and all my own questions. Why was Dia's other car sitting there broken, undriveable as Isidro said, for any length of time? KH had several running vehicles. Why after 14 yrs. of loyal employment, did she allow Isidro to be bossed around and treated like that from somewhat new comers? Isidro wasn't able to be around Dia as much anymore is what I sensed. How did relatively new comers end up running things and now be in total charge?

This is just my own speculations here. I don't know if she was being gas lighted into fear, and felt she had to make those transfers and the Trustee directives. The children seemed to have used the courts and legal system, and Isidro said they had not been around the ranch in maybe a year. KH implied she was in danger. From what? Is there Sheriff reports that they were called out to the ranch? She might have been slightly afraid, and someone played on that to have her change the Trust, etc.,

I imagine there is a Will, in addition to the Trust and POA. Her children will probably not let that property go without a fight, but we'll see.
Have a Trust? You Still Need a Will

gaslighting | Definition, Origins, & Facts
Gaslighting, an elaborate and insidious technique of deception and psychological manipulation, usually practiced by a single deceiver, or “gaslighter,” on a single victim over an extended period. Its effect is to gradually undermine the victim’s confidence in his own ability to distinguish truth from falsehood, right from wrong, or reality from appearance, thereby rendering him pathologically dependent on the gaslighter in his thinking or feelings.

animated-cow-image-0128.gif
MOO

So if the trust is revocable, it can be changed at the proper point of time... to whatever anyone wants then....
According to the above interview, and assuming Isidro is correct, it sounds to me (my guess is) that Harper is the 1st Successor Trustee, and Diana is the 2nd Successor Trustee. The 2nd Successor doesn't act unless the 1st Successor is unable. Otherwise they would be Co-Trustees and act together equally.

In the information below Dia would be the "Settlor".
From page 15, https://www.ialawfirm.com/docs/ARAG_Guidebook_Revocable_Trust.pdf
"Co-Trustee or Successor Trustee
Every Revocable Trust has other Trustees. The Settlor may set up the Trust with a Co-Trustee to act with or in the place of the Settlor as designated in the Trust instrument. Since the Revocable Trust is intended to address periods of the Settlor’s incapacity and the Settlor’s death, all Revocable Trusts will have one or more Successor Trustees who gain authority once a triggering event occurs (as set out in the Trust instrument). The Trustee is a fiduciary with enforceable duties to the Settlor and the beneficiaries. A Trustee has duties imposed both by the terms of the Trust instrument and by the law of the state where the Trust is administered.
"

As far as I understand it, Successor Trustees have a responsibility to do what the Trustee/Settlor (Dia) wants per the terms of the trust. And they have a responsibility to Dia's beneficiary(ies). This is kept going until Dia is no longer incapacitated and resumes control, or she is declared dead. If she is declared dead then the beneficiary(ies) receive what they are entitled to under the trust. And the beneficiary(ies) and Successor Trustees can be different people (or perhaps a beneficiary can be an entity rather than an individual, ie an organization that controls wildlife preserves for lack of better terminology).

MOO: No, it does not seem to me that a Successor Trustee has a legal right change things around/do whatever they want.
However, if a property within the trust were no longer able to be sustained financially I am assuming the Successor Trustee might be able to legally sell other assets/properties to keep the fundamentals of the trust going.
For example, per the trust, if it were imperative that the Ranch become an animal sanctuary, but there are insufficient funds to keep maintaining the Ranch, then the Successor Trustee might have the legal right to sell other assets to continue to maintain the Ranch.

Last edited:
Finding Dia is of the utmost importance. How I wish I knew where LE has been searching. How I wish I knew what info LE got from any devices they collected and what investigating they've been doing. Wish Dia would be found now.

Everything can change in a NY minute when Dia is found. MOO

I think it should be noted that we are currently unaware of what happened, if anything, after Dia's children filed their opposition above (November 1, 2019). I don't see any indication that a judge made a decision (assuming a decision was needed).

Thank you for this article Slowpoke!
MOO: I'm guessing Dia's husband and kids stayed in La Jolla, but I'm not sure.

What do you think precipitated Dia's decision to make those transfers and name those two as her operating Trustees? What triggered that decision?

Did she feel in danger? Of what?
MOO, no way do I think the children wanting that old truck of Clem's had anything to do with it. In fact, the adult children, at this point, aren't reaping anything from her sudden disappearance, but the truck.

Did someone talk her into something?
Now that she's missing, the timing definitely seems like a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288