Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minneapolis restaurant quarantines 13 who worked Trump event
More at link bbm
MINNEAPOLIS — Thirteen staff members from an iconic Minneapolis steakhouse were quarantining after the restaurant catered a fundraiser attended by President Donald Trump during his visit to Minnesota last week, the restaurant said Monday.

The 13 work for Murray’s Restaurant in downtown Minneapolis, which catered the fundraiser on Wednesday at the Lake Minnetonka home of Marty Davis, CEO of the quartz countertop manufacturer Cambria Co. LLC. About 40 contributors paid $200,000 a couple or $100,000 per person for the chance to meet the president and hear him speak.

“Our staff was there to work the party only and at no point did any staff come in close proximity to the president,” the restaurant said in a statement. “Upon learning of the president’s positive COVID-19 test, we immediately enacted a 14-day quarantine for all staff who worked the party. Additionally, each staff member who worked the party will be tested for COVID-19.”

Murray’s, a family owned restaurant since 1946, is famous as “Home of the Silver Butter Knife Steak.” It’s popular among the city’s movers and shakers and sports figures. A spokesman for the restaurant, Chuck Sanger, said the restaurant is still able to operate normally despite the quarantine.

Davis has not returned multiple messages from The Associated Press since the White House announced on Friday that the president had contracted COVID-19.

One guest at the Davis home in Shorewood, St. Paul philanthropist Helene Houle, said in an interview Monday that nobody got closer than six feet to the president. All the guests had to wait in their cars to get tested before the event, she said, and they weren’t allowed to go in until everybody tested negative.

“We got to have our photos taken with President Trump but we weren’t next to him, we were 6 to 8 feet away from him,” she said.

Then they took their assigned seats in the dining room, at some distance from the podium where Trump spoke. The tables were spread out, though the seating at each table was normally spaced, she said. Nobody was worried because they all had just tested negative, she said.

I have asked it too but nobody has answered why or if the WH are using them incorrectly.

I answered you. Relying on negative test results in the early days of exposure means someone can have Covid before a test will show positive. Incubation can take 1-14 days. 14 days quarantine is standard in many places for the very reason it can take that long to show up on a test. So taking a test and receiving a negative result before an event - for example the Rose Garden event, did not mean the participants were safe, yet the interaction suggests they believed they were safe. Clearly they weren’t.

You had said “it puts the president at risk”. Indeed, the President is now Covid positive.

Chicopee Police announced 4th officer tests positive in COVID-19 outbreak
western mass -more at link bbm
CHICOPEE – A fourth city police officer has contracted COVID-19, four days after officials announced a cluster of cases at the department.The fourth officer received positive test results for the disease on Monday, said Danusia Liszka, the public information officer for the police department.

On Thursday, Police Chief William R. Jebb and Mayor John L. Vieau announced three officers who mostly work inside the Public Safety Complex had tested positive for COVID-19 and were showing symptoms of the disease. No members of the public are believed to have been exposed to the coronavirus through routine calls.

“This officer worked closely with the original officers who tested positive last week,” Liszka said.
All other officers who worked closely with the four have been tested and results show no one else has been infected, she said.

“As a precaution all the officers will be monitored and retested,” she said. The Police Department is working with Health Director Lisa Sanders to ensure the building is sanitized and all safety protocols are put in place to prevent the public or other officers and employees from being infected, Liszka said.

All officers are now required to wear N95 masks instead of cloth masks because they provide better protection, Jebb said.

Then there is this...

White House Blocks New Coronavirus Vaccine Guidelines

The F.D.A. proposed stricter guidelines for emergency approval of a coronavirus vaccine, but the White House chief of staff objected to provisions that would push approval past Election Day.

Facing a White House blockade, the Food and Drug Administration is seeking other avenues to ensure that vaccines meet the guidelines.

Posting as a small business owner in So. California.
I am exhausted.
I sincerely want to get the hell out of this State, and have felt this way for many years.
Apparently, I'm not the only one. Not by a long shot.
People are fleeing like crazy.
We're watching prices in conservative States climb as much as 30% in 6 months. Truth.
We're in a situation. How on earth are we to sell our formally successful restaurant (before Covid-19 to anyone)?
We've been shut down, and now California has a new mandate.
Somehow. With Covid-19 hitting the poor harder then the not poor. Our new mandate to be allowed to reopen is that we must somehow make those that are poor, infection rates, equal to those that our not poor.
For the life of me. I have no idea how we can possibly do this?
I am having a hard time not going 100% bat *advertiser censored* crazy.
In order to not go bat *advertiser censored* crazy, I have decided to sleep or do next to nothing.
Very unlike myself. Yes. I'm depressed.

I’m particularly relieved that Biden tested negative. He’s so frail and unhealthy looking that, IMO, it would be a very, very serious problem for him if he got Covid. And that last video I saw of him showed him with an ill fitting mask while getting up close to reporters.

I’m particularly relieved that Biden tested negative. He’s so frail and unhealthy looking that, IMO, it would be a very, very serious problem for him if he got Covid. And that last video I saw of him showed him with an ill fitting mask while getting up close to reporters.

Biden's recent medical assessment suggests he is in good health. I think that he just looks his age and IMO hasn't had any sort of plastic surgery to change his image.

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump may call Joe Biden “sleepy,” but the former vice president’s physician states that the 77-year-old is in good health and nowhere near slowing down.

Dr. Kevin O’Connor of The George Washington University released a three-page medical summary of Biden's health on Tuesday at the request of his patient, in which he described Biden as a “healthy, vigorous, 77-year-old male, who is fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency to include those as Chief Executive, Head of State and Commander in Chief.”

Joe Biden releases medical assessment, described as 'healthy, vigorous'

If we can get through to Monday? If? What??? How do you say, "If we can get through Monday" then let your patient walk out the door??

I don’t think the doctors can insist that he stay in the hospital, especially if he meets the benchmarks to be released. And even so, patients have the right to check themselves out of the hospital against medical advice. So add that to him being the President, the doctors can’t stop him. I’m sure they will be keeping a very close eye on him, especially starting Friday...7 days after he probably contracted it at the Rose Garden. That period of 7-10 days is when things can go south really fast. Hopefully, he will get the rest he needs and follow the discharge orders he received and maintain isolation. That will remain to be seen.
JMO

Last edited:
Have you tried NAC (the supplement - that aids in boosting the immune system, I'm presuming maybe you're my age - it really helps people after a viral onslaught).

I'm so sorry you have the fatigue days. All you can do is rest, but sometimes others are not very understanding.

Did you have occasional headaches before?
I havent heard of NAC but will check it out thanks. I'm early 50s.

Yes, always been prone to mild headaches but that Covid headache on day 1 was extreme. I couldnt get out of bed.

Luckily, that is one thing I dont suffer now - have far fewer since I hardly go in to the office. Whether it was tension from the commute, lighting, more stress, eyesight (readers on/off! Wear varifocals here)...

Fatigue days are definitely becoming less and less, fortunately.

Appreciate your advice and kind thought, thanks :)

See the above comments - people are already interpreting it quite differently.

::Sigh::

If only he would wear a mask all the time while he's still in the contagious phase...

If he is having difficulty breathing--as it appears he is--the last thing he needs is to wear a mask that blocks more oxygen. But, people around him need to wear masks.

If he is having difficulty breathing--as it appears he is--the last thing he needs is to wear a mask that blocks more oxygen. But, people around him need to wear masks.

New study ....

BBM
The average face mask may be uncomfortable but does not limit the flow of oxygen to the lungs, even in people with severe lung diseases, researchers say.

They tested the effect of wearing surgical masks on gas exchange - the process by which the body adds oxygen to the blood while removing carbon dioxide - in 15 healthy physicians and 15 military veterans with severely impaired lungs via a quick paced six-minute walk on a flat, hard surface. Oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the blood were measured before and after the walking test.

Neither the healthy doctors nor the patients with diseased lungs showed any major changes in gas exchange measurements after the walking test or up to 30 minutes later. Mask discomfort is likely not due to rebreathing of carbon dioxide and decreases in oxygen levels, the researchers reported on Friday in the journal Thorax.

Instead, masks may be causing discomfort by irritating sensitive facial nerves, warming inhaled air, or inducing feelings of claustrophobia. Any such discomfort should not cause safety concerns, researchers said, as that could contribute to reduction of "a practice proven to improve public health."

Breathing with face mask does not alter oxygen level; virus can last nine hours on skin

At issue was the FDA’s planned instruction that vaccine developers follow patients enrolled in their trials for at least two months to rule out safety issues before seeking emergency approval from the agency. A senior administration confirmed the move Monday evening, saying the White House believed there was “no clinical or medical reason” for the additional requirement.

White House blocks updated FDA guidelines on vaccine approval

Then there is this...

The F.D.A. proposed stricter guidelines for emergency approval of a coronavirus vaccine, but the White House chief of staff objected to provisions that would push approval past Election Day.

Facing a White House blockade, the Food and Drug Administration is seeking other avenues to ensure that vaccines meet the guidelines.

So how many people would line up and take this vaccine, especially in light of this new information? not me, that's for sure--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305