CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleasanton: Former Foothill student reported missing in San Francisco

A former Foothill High School student who returned to the Bay Area for college after her family moved from Pleasanton to North Carolina has been reported missing in San Francisco, according to authorities.

[...]

The Pleasanton Unified School District confirmed West attended Foothill during her freshman and sophomore years before her family moved to North Carolina. She is listed now as a resident of Chapel Hill, N.C.

Orange County Sheriff's Office

Update:
AUTHORITIES STILL SEARCHING FOR FORMER BERKELEY STUDENT FROM CHAPEL HILL MISSING IN SAN FRANCISCO

Hillsborough, NC (October 5, 2020) – Sydney West, 19, from Chapel Hill, until recently was a student at UC Berkeley in California. Now living in San Francisco with friends, she has not been seen or heard from since September 29. Her last known location was Chrissy Field in San Francisco.

“We are asking anyone who has any information about our daughter Sydney to please contact the investigators. We are anxious to have our daughter found safe and brought home,” said Sydney West’s parents.

“Syd,” as she likes to be called, is likely wearing dark shorts, slip on Vans, and has her hair in a ponytail. She is 5'10", weighs 130 pounds, and has blue eyes and light brown hair. She may be carrying a black backpack.

She has been reported missing with the San Francisco authorities and entered into NCIC as a missing person. The San Francisco police transferred her case to the Missing Persons Section of the Special Victim’s Unit. Sergeant Michael Horan is the lead investigator.

If anyone has any leads or tips for the San Francisco police to investigate, please call Sergeant Horan at (415) 553 1028.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina is asking anyone in North Carolina who may have had recent contact with Syd to call Investigator Ashley Woodlief at (919) 245 – 2909.

###

Parents speak out after Chapel Hill woman vanishes in San Francisco | CBS 17

San Francisco Police Department

⚠️ Missing Person ⚠️

On October 2, 2020, at approximately 2:00 PM, San Francisco Police officers from Central Police Station prepared a missing person’s report regarding 19-year-old Sydney West. A member of Sydney’s family reported her as missing. She is last believed to have been in the area of Crissy Field on the morning of September 30th.

Sydney is considered at risk due to depression. She is described as a white female, 5’-10” tall and weighing 135 pounds. She has blonde hair and blue eyes. She was last seen wearing a sweatshirt, white athletic shorts, and blue “Vans” shoes. A photo of Sydney accompanies this news release.

Anyone who sees Sydney should call 911 or their local law enforcement agency.

Please be prepared to provide her current location and clothing description. Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to call the SFPD 24-hour tip line at 1-415-575-4444 or Text a Tip to TIP411 and begin the text message with SFPD.

42A38B31-FAED-4CE8-8FA3-10FFB23CA195.jpeg

Would TV stations do a better job of keeping up with a story than the local press? I am a "bad person". Plus older fellow who hates going to webpages that blares audio
about 100 decibels and moves all over the freakin page. So I use add blockers. Most local press blocks users who use add blockers. I just went to ABC7 out of San Francisco and nothing new is being reported there. It is quite disconcerting about evidences of depression. There also appears to be discrepancies of the last confirmed siting of "Syd". some sources mention September 29 then others quote September 30.

She also posted about being depressed on this blog! <modsnip>

sydney west – Medium

Well, this is concerning.

Berkeley is a very challenging school. I'm thinking in addition to her depression, she might be having issues with some of her classes there.

Praying she just needed a "time out", and will turn up safe and sound.

JMVHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few of the articles posted above now call her "a former student at Berkeley" so I find that confusing. Did she withdraw from the university? Was she living in SF with friends? None of these articles give a clear picture of her circumstances when she went missing. Did she have her phone? Was she with friends and who physically saw her last? This doesn't sound good but always hoping for the best.

The most concerning post was from Oct. 2019 so hopefully her mental state is better since then.

furthermore if you read some of her comments/responses to other writers, it appears she may have been victim of an assault. All MOO, but she speaks of the writer not understanding the “freeze response” a woman exhibits after having been touched/assaulted.

I hope she is safe and well. Knowing all too well how deep depression can seep into your being and make you believe things you otherwise wouldn’t, I pray she has someone she can confide in and help her if she is having a difficult time. Come home Syd!!

furthermore if you read some of her comments/responses to other writers, it appears she may have been victim of an assault. All MOO, but she speaks of the writer not understanding the “freeze response” a woman exhibits after having been touched/assaulted.

I hope she is safe and well. Knowing all too well how deep depression can seep into your being and make you believe things you otherwise wouldn’t, I pray she has someone she can confide in and help her if she is having a difficult time. Come home Syd!!

Ugh. This really breaks my heart to read. The lack of info the general public has on the Freeze Response is a huge barrier to SA survivors overcoming/managing their PTSD. The stigma and ignorance can be re traumatizing. This poor girl. I really hope SA has nothing to do with her disappearance and it’s all a coincidence. That she’s just a well meaning advocate that dealt with situational depression one year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam