GUILTY IL - Megan Nichols, 15, found deceased, Fairfield, 3 July 2014 *ARREST in 2020*

I haven't logged into Websleuths in a long time. So glad I did today.

So much left unsaid in what's been released. Crime of opportunity? Did he know her? I'm sure we'll hear more since this is just coming out.

I am sorry I suspected the mother. I know people react differently to grief, but her behavior in interviews was very bizarre to me.
Yep, it was her ex. Idk about motive.

I see that he went happily on with his life, got his degree, was doing what he wanted to do, seemingly respected in his field...(but, innocent until proven guilty!)Poor Megan...And shame on the ones that accused her mother! There was never any reason to think that she would have done something to her daughter.

Wonder if she was possibly pregnant? I don’t guess it could be determined from the remains that were found four years later?

I see that he went happily on with his life, got his degree, was doing what he wanted to do, seemingly respected in his field...(but, innocent until proven guilty!)Poor Megan...And shame on the ones that accused her mother! There was never any reason to think that she would have done something to her daughter.

Statistically, it's not a leap to consider family members whether we are aware of a motive or not.

That aside, that interview with the radio station that she did while her daughter was still missing was gobsmacking to me.

The first words out of her smiling mouth were: "It's awesome to be here. This is just amazing". "I'm excited to be here." Excited?

She giggled (ok, maybe she was nervous) and there were no pleas for Megan to come home or for someone to bring her home or find her.

I've admitted I was wrong above, but that interview was weird to me.

Last edited:
If being self centered and loving attention were suspicious in and of itself there isn't 1% of enough law enforcement to investigate everyone guilty of it these days.

What guilty parents do is rationalize, excuse and fabricate. That's what's suspicious.

If being self centered and loving attention were suspicious in and of itself there isn't 1% of enough law enforcement to investigate everyone guilty of it these days.

What guilty parents do is rationalize, excuse and fabricate. That's what's suspicious.

LOL, good point.

Brodey Murbarger was arrested Wednesday morning in Evansville, Indiana, after an Illinois grand jury indicted him for Megan Nichols’ murder. He’s charged in Wayne County, Ill., with three counts of first-degree murder, two Class X felony counts of home invasion to commit a sex offense, and Class 3 felony concealment of a homicidal death.

A search warrant was then executed at Murbarger’s home address at 5037 Lakeside Ct which is located in the Lakewood West apartment complex... Murbarger is now in the Vandergraph County Indiana jail and is expected to be extradited to Illinois to face charges. According to Wayne County, IL court records, Murbarger faces multiple counts of murder and home invasion and one count of concealing a homicidal death.

Indiana man arrested for murder of Fairfield, Ill. teen

Last edited:
I REALLY hope he gets the death penalty. I remember hearing on the news that there was a moratorium on it. Did that ever get lifted?

A Wayne County grand jury indicted Murbarger in late September for first degree murder, concealment of a homicidal death, and home invasion. He was arrested this morning outside his workplace in Evansville. His home on Lakeside Court was also searched. Officials are releasing few details about what lead them to Murbarger or a possible motive in the killing, but according to court records, he is accused of suffocating and strangling Nichols.

He’s also accused of burying her body in a remote part of Wayne County, which was later discovered in December of 2017. Her remains were identified a month later.

The home invasion charges stem from when Murbarger allegedly entered her home more than once between November of 2013, and July the following year.

Court records also show that in the days following her reported disappearance, Fairfield Police sought a search warrant for cell phone records, based on the suspicion that Nichols was the target of an unknown predator.

Investigators aren’t saying much so far as to how Murbarger and Nichols knew each other. He is being held in the Vanderburgh County Jail, awaiting extradition back to Illinois.

A spokesperson for the FBI and Wayne County State Attorney Kevin Kakac both declined to comment further on the case.

Court records reveal new details in Murbarger arrest | Eyewitness News (WEHT/WTVW)

Last edited:
The home invasion charges stem from when Murbarger allegedly entered her home more than once between November of 2013, and July the following year.

So he repeatedly invaded her home without consequences before he finally murdered her. It makes me sick how justice was obviously obstructed in this case - including when it could have saved Megan's life.

Brodey Ian Murbarger was working as a Quality Control Laboratory Technician since September 2019 at RC Beverage Company in Evansville, Indiana where he was arrested.

"I received my Bachelor's Degree in Geology from USI in 2019, and I am interested in pursuing a career in a geology or engineering industry. During my undergrad, I conducted research in quantifying evapotranspiration from groundwater well data in Manistee National Forest, Michigan. I have experience in field research and data interpretation as well as analytical approaches to problem solving. I attended IU Bloomington's Geologic Field Camp in the summer of 2019 and gained knowledge and experience that will aid me in my professional career."

69537800_2162029353905689_5298177622331621376_n.jpg
13524560_10153559835346372_8153604477580784877_n.jpg
54b5e1_5818f08458cd4caeb17f3e11b39593a9~mv2.jpg
621497_10151039694256372_610327584_o.jpg

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brodey-murbarger/

Last edited:
At the time of Megan's disappearance, Brodey lived in Fairfield and had allegedly been dating the victim. Bond has been set at $3 million.

On Sept. 29, a Wayne County Grand Jury indicted Murbarger on six separate charges. The charges include three counts of First Degree Murder, one count of Concealment of a Homicidal Death and two counts of Home Invasion.

In the first count of First Degree Murder charges, Murbarger is accused of “intentionally or knowingly caused Megan Nichols to be suffocated, knowing said act would cause the death of Megan Nichols.” In the second count, Murbarger is accused of “intentionally or knowingly caused Megan Nichols to be strangled, knowing said act would cause the death of Megan Nichols. In count three, Murbarger is accused of “intentionally or knowingly caused the death of Megan Nichols by manner and means to the Grand Jury unknown, causing the death of Megan Nichols.”

In Count four, the Concealment of a Homicidal Death alleges that Murbarger “knowingly concealed the death of Megan Nichols by causing her body to be buried in a shallow grave in a remote area of Wayne County.” The act allegedly occurred “on or between July 3, 2014 and Dec. 26, 2017.”

In counts 5 and 6, Murbarger is accused of Home Invasion in that he allegedly “committed a Criminal Sexual Abuse against Megan P. Nichols in that said defendant committed an act of sexual conduct or sexual penetration with Megan P. Nichols, who was at least 13 years of age but under 17 years of age and the defendant was less than 5 years older than Megan P. Nichols. The dates of the alleged acts were on or between July 2, 2014 and July 3, 2014 in count 5 and “one or more occasions and as a continuing course of action between Nov. 28, 2013 and July 1, 2014.

Murbarger remains in custody in Indiana pending extradition to Illinois.

www.navigatorjournal.com/news/article_7c7d8a66-0852-11eb-b344-af16f306730f.html

"I work with the guy, the cops got him in the parking lot after he got out of his car. Must say it’s very difficult for me to imagine this guy murdered anyone. He was about the nicest guy you’d ever meet, quiet, relaxed, generally a pleasure to be around. Maybe he did it, maybe he didn’t, I can’t say. But it’s difficult to imagine for me...

If you read the specific murder charges it would seem an exact cause hasn’t been determined. The three murder charges are 1: suffocated 2: strangled 3: by manner and means unknown. There is a spread of murder charges to cover all areas because they don’t really know the cause."

RC Beverage Co (Now looking to hire replacement Lab Technician)

Wayne County, IL | Case Dispositions

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305