CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
She lived in California and spent 2 yrs in high school there in the SF area, and she took a gap year to travel. Her Uncle is there as well. Her circle could be huge, depending on where she went that gap year. A big part of the mood she had when Uncle went to see her could be that her friends from HS in Cali were different than they were in 2017 when she moved? ( and/or who did she leave in NC?)
This is spot on. Her CA friends may not even still be there. SW may have hoped to reconnect with those she left behind when moving to NC. But in the meantime, those friends could be at colleges out of state, or transferred to other colleges after SW’s gap year. Or be very active in completely different social groups. Sometimes change feels out of synch & disappointing. And if, on top of that, your goals are at odds with your parents’ goals, sometimes you just have to forge ahead & make your own way for a while. If she establishes residency for 2 years, she’ll get her in-state tuition. Maybe she’s just regrouping & claiming a more financially independent life.

Important: What day did she withdraw from classes? If before drop/add window ended, she could have received full tuition refund. If she also denied FERPA waiver to parents, they’d get no notice. Perhaps she’s using those funds to start anew. Conjecture only.

Important: What day did she withdraw from classes? If before drop/add window ended, she could have received full tuition refund. If she also denied FERPA waiver to parents, they’d get no notice. Perhaps she’s using those funds to start anew. Conjecture only.

We don’t know the day she withdrew from classes or moved out of the dorm. Your conjecture could be correct. I’m not sure if there is a refund for moving out of the dorm before a certain date, but could be.

This is spot on. Her CA friends may not even still be there. SW may have hoped to reconnect with those she left behind when moving to NC. But in the meantime, those friends could be at colleges out of state, or transferred to other colleges after SW’s gap year. Or be very active in completely different social groups. Sometimes change feels out of synch & disappointing. And if, on top of that, your goals are at odds with your parents’ goals, sometimes you just have to forge ahead & make your own way for a while. If she establishes residency for 2 years, she’ll get her in-state tuition. Maybe she’s just regrouping & claiming a more financially independent life.

Addressing the first part of your post, the saying “you can’t go home again” is certainly true at that age in particular. She may have hoped to pick up where she left off. Between people moving on and the pandemic she could have been very disappointed and lonely. Poor kid. :(

We don’t know the day she withdrew from classes or moved out of the dorm. Your conjecture could be correct. I’m not sure if there is a refund for moving out of the dorm before a certain date, but could be.
At my daughter’s similarly overpriced educational institution, she’d get full refund on tuition, dorm & meal plan as long as she withdrew before 5pm the last day of drop/add. She’d forfeit housing deposit. OTOH, if she dropped after that critical hour, they’d be stuck with all costs- including loans & fees for sub, unsub and PLUS- if they took those. If that happened in my world, I’d be so pissed my daughter might avoid me for a couple months. Just say’n...

Where do the artists and musicians hang out there (post covid) ?
Although Syd is athletic and might hang out where others play sports, she is also creative and if depressed, she may be more introspective right now and inclined to go somewhere to draw, play some tunes, or to be around others who are doing just that.
speculation, imo.

I think that it is possible that Syd is not overly depressed at this point in time. Having made a decision to quit school, and having done it. That could be quite a freeing decision.

As Lilibet posted earlier, for police to investigate more closely in cases of missing adults "appropriate investigation methods" will be employed if the person is considered endangered ... at risk.

If this was my family member, I would sure as heck promote to the police that he/she is at risk - right now.
Until I heard otherwise.

Also, in cases where the missing person is “endangered” due to medical problems, or life-threatening situations, police will take appropriate investigative measures.
CA - CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Fransisco, 30 Sept 2020

West is also considered at risk due to depression, the press release added.
19-year-old UC Berkeley student Sydney West reported missing

“Responsable for all costs until a replacement is found”. If after drop add, unlikely. Imo

I would think the refund from tuition alone could be substantial,, and that dorm replacement person clause is only " unless I have provided the appropriate documentation to confirm my marriage, graduation, withdrawal or dismissal from the University of California, Berkeley"

So... I’ve watched this video FIVE times because I think it is the most unusual plea I’ve ever seen in a case like this. I wonder who filmed it, who wrote the cue cards, and who was holding those cards (my opinion there were some). In other cases, this type of plea is usually made in conjunction with a press release & in partnership with LE, often in a public place. This is most different. True they are in NC- but isn’t LE there working cooperatively with SFPD? Of note, no emotion is displayed, and no personal plea is directed to Syd herself to come home, to hang in there, to know that they are looking for her and that they will not stop. That they don’t care what has happened- just to please come home. Filming was done in a tidy, elegant home with fresh flowers on a grand piano, in front of windows framing a grove/ garden. “We want her to be brought home” instead of “we want you to come home”. I’m not sensing fear, grief, fatigue or panic trying to hold it together. Feels staged & controlled, imo. I’m just getting family conflict here. SW is an artist, musician, athlete, free spirit who perhaps had values and goals very different from those she’s expected to pursue. Jmo, moo, etc.

Her family seems sort of similar to mine just from what I have read and viewed. My parents are emotionally detached, and any affection I got was from achieving things. I have no doubt, and in fact know because I once ran away at 16, that they would be clumsy, unemotional etc in any video..if they even made one at that time. My father always believed being emotional was weak.

It is quite possible that she needed a break. That's what I am hoping for.

At my daughter’s similarly overpriced educational institution, she’d get full refund on tuition, dorm & meal plan as long as she withdrew before 5pm the last day of drop/add. She’d forfeit housing deposit. OTOH, if she dropped after that critical hour, they’d be stuck with all costs- including loans & fees for sub, unsub and PLUS- if they took those. If that happened in my world, I’d be so pissed my daughter might avoid me for a couple months. Just say’n...

OH I would hunt my son down if he simply bailed out without letting us know.....his similarly over priced educational institution is partially funded by my middle class "awarded financial aid" known as Parent Plus loans.

I told mine if he ever wanted to leave, withdraw, whatever, that is fine - as there is no school worth your life ( yes, suicides there ) or your happiness- but there is a proper way to do so.

Her family seems sort of similar to mine just from what I have read and viewed. My parents are emotionally detached, and any affection I got was from achieving things. I have no doubt, and in fact know because I once ran away at 16, that they would be clumsy, unemotional etc in any video..if they even made one at that time. My father always believed being emotional was weak.

It is quite possible that she needed a break. That's what I am hoping for.

Good observation. I’m sorry about your family. Hugs. :)

On Syd's Reddit account, she discusses a trip she took last year to Mexico by herself for a yoga retreat. By all accounts, this young woman is incredibly resourceful, intelligent, courageous, self-motivated, disciplined, and independent.

Travel to Mexico is allowed. I wonder if police are inquiring there. I wonder if they would get any answers.

According to Mexico: Per Travesías, “Mexico’s federal government has never closed its borders despite COVID-19. In fact, it’s one of the few countries that currently welcomes travelers from all over the world, without any kind of restriction or mandatory quarantine upon arrival.”

Ortiz added: “Since the U.S. government has recommended avoiding all nonessential international travel due to COVID-19, many American guests have asked us if they are allowed to enter the country. The answer has always been yes.
Another question we’ve been asked is whether the beach is open or not. Fortunately, due to our location and privacy, the beach is open and ready to welcome travelers.”

Can Americans Visit Mexico Right Now?
Sep 16, 2020

LE has probably checked this out already, but I wonder if she's with the person pictured in her @sydofthewest Instagram account photo?

Just musing, and MVHO.

ETA: We can't sleuth her friend who is pictured.

I would think the refund from tuition alone could be substantial,, and that dorm replacement person clause is only " unless I have provided the appropriate documentation to confirm my marriage, graduation, withdrawal or dismissal from the University of California, Berkeley"
Travel to Mexico is allowed. I wonder if police are inquiring there. I wonder if they would get any answers.

According to Mexico: Per Travesías, “Mexico’s federal government has never closed its borders despite COVID-19. In fact, it’s one of the few countries that currently welcomes travelers from all over the world, without any kind of restriction or mandatory quarantine upon arrival.”

Ortiz added: “Since the U.S. government has recommended avoiding all nonessential international travel due to COVID-19, many American guests have asked us if they are allowed to enter the country. The answer has always been yes.
Another question we’ve been asked is whether the beach is open or not. Fortunately, due to our location and privacy, the beach is open and ready to welcome travelers.”

Can Americans Visit Mexico Right Now?
Sep 16, 2020
Tuition refund would certainly buy a lot of time in Mexico. I don’t want to get us going on Mexico theories with no evidence to take us there. But I do hope LE has investigated if there was a refund issued, how and when and to whom it was issued & where that money is now. Jmo

Tuition refund would certainly buy a lot of time in Mexico. I don’t want to get us going on Mexico theories with no evidence to take us there. But I do hope LE has investigated if there was a refund issued, how and when and to whom it was issued & where that money is now. Jmo

Wherever she might be, a nice fat check deposited in a brand new account with a brand new credit/debit card wouldn’t be traced. If she planned this, she could have emptied her regular account well ahead of her disappearance too.
JMO

Agreed. We have no idea where Syd may be, or what has happened to/with her. I think the thought crossed my mind that Mexico is a possibility due to her previous travel there, it is not overly far away from SanFran, and it may be a good, warm and sunny place to hang out for the winter. If she had enjoyed her previous visit there, that is.

Agreed. We have no idea where Syd may be, or what has happened to/with her. I think the thought crossed my mind that Mexico is a possibility due to her previous travel there, it is not overly far away from SanFran, and it may be a good, warm and sunny place to hang out for the winter. If she had enjoyed her previous visit there, that is.
This is a happier vision than the one in my head. I sure hope this is the path she took.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288