Found Deceased FL - Tracey Lynn Rieker, 44, Venice, 30 Sept 2020

Uh oh.

Venice Police Department

At approximately 11:45 a.m. today, Saturday, Oct. 10, divers with the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office and North Port PD, assisted by the FWC, Venice PD and Sarasota K9 Search and Rescue, located a green Nissan Xterra in a large pond in the Toscana Isles subdivision in Venice, close to Knights Trail. Inside the vehicle was a deceased female, believed to be that of Tracey Lynn Rieker, 44, missing from her Venice home since Sept. 30. Authorities are in the process of recovering the vehicle at this time. The case is being treated as a traffic homicide. An investigation continues to determine Rieker’s cause of death. As more information becomes available it will be released by VPD. There will be no press conference at this time.
Oh darn
I just got home and jumped in here to see if any updates and saw this.

Very odd phrasing by Venice PD, imo. "The case is being treated as a traffic homicide."

According to Wikipedia, "Homicide is the act of one human killing another. It requires only a volitional act by another person that results in death, and thus a homicide may result from accidental, reckless, or negligent acts, even if there is no intent to cause harm."

So homicide is clearly the killing of one person by another. The act involves two distinct persons. One would think the VPD knows this. So the VPD is stating that they are treating this case as if another person (besides Stacey) is involved.

If the VPD's statement is a misstatement or an unintentionally misleading statement, I think they should correct it right away (to say something like "the case is being investigated as a traffic accident", or even "the case is being investigated as a traffic fatality"). If it is not a misstatement, then who could the "another person" be?

Jmo

Venice Police Department

Edit a few hours ago.

Neighbor was walking, saw tracks, saw submerged vehicle, called.

I’m also local to this area. This has been very well publicized around here, and they’ve been looking for Tracey for like 10 days. She was found pretty much around the corner from her house. Neighbors just now noticed tracks? That doesn’t seem right.

We had a missing person case a few years back where a young man drove off the side of the road into a body of water and died. It was late, the roads were dark, he was tired and he just veered off into the water. Same thing, some one noticed the track marks and broken guard rail and we found him. We don't have a lot of street lights here, especially in areas that are new, or on back roads. If she left at 2 am in the dark for what ever reason, it is possible she just misjudged the turn, road, what ever and drove into the pond.

I remember there was a case where a vehicle was pulled from a lake and the victim's hands were found to have been duct-taped to the steering wheel. I can see why that would qualify as homicide.

Police: Deceased woman found inside of green Nissan Xterra in large pond in Venice

Been following this case to some degree, it is sad and kind of scary.

Where her car was found - farther up on Knights Trail Rd is Pinelands Reserve, entrance is located right before the gate to the refuse center. I have to wonder if she was headed to that park?

I’m local to this area and I want to point out this the police here get VERY few homicides. We will go many years without a homicide. This may not be that but it’s just letting you know. Sarasota sees these kinds of cases but not Venice.

We lived in Venice when we first moved to FL - it's a clean and safe town in more ways than one. Last Friday I had time off from work and went shopping downtown Venice on the island. One of the reasons it's become a desirable tourist destination, tourists who just want some peace and quiet in the sun. My only complaint about Venice: too much land development on Jacaranda south of I-74, along Border Rd, and Laurel Ave.

RIP Tracey.

I've never heard the term vehicular homicide or traffic homicide.

Yes, that's what they are called in Florida. I'm wondering if this was during a storm. So many cases in this state where people's cars have slid into a retention pond and haven't been found for days or weeks. That's one reason you should carry a hammer somewhere in the front of your car, if you become submerged then you can break the window to get out....otherwise, that would be the end of the story. May she RIP and prayers for her family.

We had a missing person case a few years back where a young man drove off the side of the road into a body of water and died. It was late, the roads were dark, he was tired and he just veered off into the water. Same thing, some one noticed the track marks and broken guard rail and we found him. We don't have a lot of street lights here, especially in areas that are new, or on back roads. If she left at 2 am in the dark for what ever reason, it is possible she just misjudged the turn, road, what ever and drove into the pond.
but if its near her home surely she would be very familiar with the road, the water ways etc.
If she did accidently crash into the water she must have been incapacitated with alcohol or drugs or a mental psychosis.

A traffic homicide sounds like the car has signs of being hit by another. Paint remnants etc.

Hope they are looking close to home.....

moo

They removed the "homicide" tag and switched to the accident involving death.

121350355_10223632059486396_5945326729620518717_o.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back