GUILTY IN - Tammy Blanton, 46, murdered, mutilated, partially eaten, Jeffersonville, 11 Sept 2014 *appeal 2022 denied*

Aprile's latest tweets:

Aprile Rickert@Aperoll27 17m
Defense attorney Brent Westerfeld now bringing to the jury Oberhansley's mental illness, a point which was not allowed during the previous phase of the trial.

In 2019, Oberhansley successfully requested the have his own insanity defense withdrawn; the death penalty was later amended to life without parole by the prosecutor. No mental illness information was allowed to be brought to the jury per a stipulation between both sides.

Westerfeld telling jury when Tammy Blanton was killed, Oberhansley was suffering from "delusions, hallucinations, disorganized thinking" and having a psychotic break. Says doctors will testify to Oberhansley's schizophrenia.

"The elephant in the courtroom is now visible," Westerfeld said.

Westerfeld says dealing with schizophrenia is the "worst possible nightmare that any human being can experience," he said.

Defense calls Dr. Timothy Allen, a psychiatrist, to the stand in this penalty phase.
The witness specializes in mental illness and forensic psychiatry.

here's a few tweets

Aprile Rickert
@Aperoll27
·
2h
Doctor is testifying to how competency restoration works, if a defendant is deemed not competent for trial. It involves "supressing symptoms...so that they can function well enough to go through a trial," Allen said.
Oberhansley underwent competency restoration twice in this case

The psychiatrist says someone can still have delusions and hallucinations & stand trial, unless it directly affects things, such as the defendant thinking their attorneys are against them. Oberhansley has previously said in court he wanted to fire his attys, most recently 2019

Allen said when Oberhansley was transported to Logansport state hospital in 2017, he was initially forced to take medication via shot; only about 5% of patients he sees has to be forced medication.

Allen said one thing Oberhansley has suffered from is "thought insertion," where he believed his attorneys were putting thoughts into his head.

The psychiatrist also referenced an incident from July 2014 when Oberhansley was arrested after police say he led them on a chase across the bridge. He said Oberhansley later says he felt they were not real police, were planning to cut his head off.

1h
Clark County Prosecutor Jeremy Mull now cross-examining the psychiatrist. Asking if Oberhansley knew the difference between right and wrong.

Mull establishing that two other doctors who met with Oberhansley reported that he had appreciated the nature of the crime, understood

Court now on lunch, expected bank about 1:15.

24min
Court now back in session; on the stand is Heather Henderson-Galligan, a psychologist.

30sec
Henderson-Galligan saud she met with Oberhansley about a week after his arrest Sept. 11, 2014. She said he kept ruminating, saying "I need a job, I need freedom, I ain't done nothing no one in this room ain't done before, I see demons..."

https://twitter.com/aperoll27

More from Aprile:

Aprile Rickert@Aperoll27 1h
Henderson-Galligan said based now on what she's seen of Oberhansley, she feels he has severe, continuous schizophrenia

1h
Court is on a short break; Oberhansley may again testify during this phase of the trial. He was the only defense witness last week.

50m
Oberhansley briefly spoke to jury, saying that he wasn't represented well and said he plans to appeal. His attorneys said Friday there are plans to appeal.

47m
Oberhansley also said he wasn't guilty of the charges and that "I do feel horrible for what happened to Tammy and I do care about her," Oberhansley said.

30m
Prosecutor Mull asks the jury to find burglary and dismemberment as aggravating factors and sentence Oberhansley to life without parole.

25m
Defense atty Westerfeld now speaking to jury, saying that mental illness as a mitigating factor. "Mental illness explains this case," he said. He asked the jury to allow the judge to impose a sentence rather than choose life in prison.

https://twitter.com/Aperoll27

Aprile Rickert@Aperoll27
I'm told the jury has a verdict on whether or not Oberhansley will be sentenced to life without parole.
5:23 PM · Sep 21, 2020·Twitter for Android

13m
Jury recommend Oberhansley serve life without parole.

7m
A formal sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 13 in Clark County Circuit Court No . 4.

1m
Jury deliberated for less than an hour on the sentencing phase; they deliberated for roughly five hours Friday before reaching guilty verdicts for murder and burglary; he was acquitted of rape.

Last edited:
I just want to take a minute to applaud and thank Niner and FrostedGlass for the amazing job they have done keeping this thread updated with the details of this agonizing case and trial. It has to have been a nightmare for everyone involved. I was not familiar with this crime, and came here to read after the alert was sent to update the title to GUILTY. There were no winners here. Everyone connected in any way paid a terrible price. The tension and stress and effort to bring some sort of justice to the victim Tammy Blanton and her family and friends was enormous, and no doubt took a mighty toll on each individual who played a part in getting to the outcome. God bless them all.

Thursday, Sept. 24th:
*Pretrial Conference Hearing (via Zoom re Strangulation & criminal recklessness charges) (@ 1:30pm ET) – IN – Tammy Jo Blanton (46) (Sept. 11, 2014, Jeffersonville) – *Joseph Albert Oberhansley (33/now 39) arrested (9/11/14) & charged (9/15/14) with 1st degree murder, felony burglary & 3rd degree rape. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA seeks DP. DA has taken DP off the table (6/28/19).
Trial began on 9/8/20 with Jury selection (Jury will be picked from Allen County & trial will be in Clark County – jury selection should take about 3 days.) Jury: 12 jurors & 4 alternates. Trial began on 9/11/20 and ended 9/18/20 when jurors deliberated for about 5 hours & gave verdict of guilty of murder, guilty of burglary & not guilty of rape. Sentencing phase hearing on 9/21/20. 9/21/20: Jury recommends life in prison without parole. Sentencing on 10/13/20.
*Charged (7/29/13) with strangulation & resisting LE.
*Charged (7/23/14) with criminal recklessness & resisting LE.
Court information from 8/19/19 thru 8/31/20 reference post #173 here:
IN - Tammy Blanton, 46, murdered, mutilated, Jeffersonville, 11 Sept 2014 *GUILTY*

8/31/20 Update: Other charges hearing on 9/24/20.

@FrostedGlass - was wondering about the 2 cases that had hearings on 9/24. Any next hearings yet?

Clark County
#10C03-1307-FD-001144 & #10C03-1407-F5-000008

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif.pagespeed.ce.ql2rp-xM7d.gif

I completely forgot about those! They didn't have the hearings; both are continued to 11/30.

09/17/2020 = Motion for Continuance Filed
11/30/2020 = Pretrial Conference 1:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Branstetter, Jeffrey K. - M

I completely forgot about those! They didn't have the hearings; both are continued to 11/30.

09/17/2020 = Motion for Continuance Filed
11/30/2020 = Pretrial Conference 1:30 PM, Judicial Officer: Branstetter, Jeffrey K. - M

Okay - thanks a bunch! Changing my notes! :)

Tomorrow is O's big day. They have not officially added the sentencing date to the IN site but this is in the remarks from the 9/21 Hearing Journal entry:
Formal Sentencing set for 10/13/20 @ 1:30 p.m

They did make these entries on Friday:

10/09/2020 = Notice of Exclusion of Confidential Information
NOTICE OF EXCLUSION
Filed By: State of Indiana
File Stamp: 10/09/2020

10/09/2020 = Certificate of Service - separately filed
CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE
Filed By: State of Indiana

10/09/2020 = Notice of Exclusion of Confidential Information
PRE-SENTENCE INVESTIGATION REPORT
Filed By:State of Indiana

The next date for his other cases remains the same: 11/30/2020: Pretrial Conference
10C03-1307-FD-001144
10C03-1407-F5-000008

I have him my notes that it will be via Zoom - so I expect it to happen - hopefully!

Tuesday, October 13th:
*Sentencing Hearing (via Zoom) (@ 1:30pm ET) – IN – Tammy Jo Blanton (46) (Sept. 11, 2014, Jeffersonville) – *Joseph Albert Oberhansley (33/now 39) arrested (9/11/14) & charged (9/15/14) with 1st degree murder, felony burglary & 3rd degree rape. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA seeks DP. DA has taken DP off the table (6/28/19).
Trial began on 9/8/20 with Jury selection (Jury will be picked from Allen County & trial will be in Clark County – jury selection should take about 3 days.) Jury: 12 jurors & 4 alternates. Trial began on 9/11/20 and ended 9/18/20 when jurors deliberated for about 5 hours & gave verdict of guilty of murder, guilty of burglary & not guilty of rape. Sentencing phase hearing started on 9/21/20 & jury recommend Life without parole.
Trial info of Jury selection & Trial 9/11/20-9/18/20 (Days 1-6) reference post #238 here:
GUILTY - IN - Tammy Blanton, 46, murdered, mutilated, Jeffersonville, 11 Sept 2014

9/21/20 Update: Sentencing phase begins. Judge read the jury instructions. Defense attorney Brent Westerfield up first for penalty phase. Defense called Dr. Timothy Allen, a psychiatrist, to the stand. The witness specializes in mental illness & forensic psychiatry. Clark County Prosecutor Jeremy Mull cross-examined the psychiatrist. Heather Henderson-Galligan, a psychologist. She met with Oberhansley about a week after his arrest Sept. 11, 2014. Oberhansley briefly spoke to jury, saying that he wasn't represented well & said he plans to appeal. His attorneys said Friday there are plans to appeal. Oberhansley also said he wasn't guilty of the charges & that "I do feel horrible for what happened to Tammy * I do care about her," Oberhansley said. Prosecutor Mull asked the jury to find burglary & dismemberment as aggravating factors & sentence Oberhansley to life without parole. Defense attorney Westerfeld then spoke to jury, saying that mental illness as a mitigating factor. "Mental illness explains this case," he said. He asked the jury to allow the judge to impose a sentence rather than choose life in prison. The jury deliberated for less than an hour. Jury recommend Oberhansley serve life without parole. A formal sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 13 in Clark County Circuit Court.

*Charged (7/29/13) with strangulation & resisting LE.
*Charged (7/23/14) with criminal recklessness & resisting LE.
GUILTY - IN - Tammy Blanton, 46, murdered, mutilated, Jeffersonville, 11 Sept 2014
8/31/20 Update: Other charges hearing on 9/24/20. 9/24/20 Update: hearing continued to 11/30/20.

Thanks @MajorHoople for the like; it reminded me to check on this case.

Joseph Albert Oberhansley v. State of Indiana
Case Number: 20S-LW-00620
Court: Supreme Court
Type LW - Direct Life Without Parole (LWOP) Appeals
Filed 10/27/2020
Status 10/27/2020 , Pending (active)
Original County Cause Number = 10C041409MR1
Related - Lower Trial Court Case: 10C04-1409-MR-000001

10/27/2020 = Notice of Appeal Filed
10/27/2020 = NOA Service to Trial Court
10/27/2020 = Document Transmitted

@FrostedGlass - the only 2 charges left are these:

*Charged (7/29/13) with strangulation & resisting LE. #10C03-1307-FD-001144 Strngltn & resist LE
*Charged (7/23/14) with criminal recklessness & resisting LE. #10C03-1407-F5-000008 Criminal reckless & resist LE
8/31/20 Update: Other charges hearing on 9/24/20. 9/24/20 Update: Hearings rescheduled to 11/30/20.

Thanks. I forgot about those; both were dismissed without prejudice.

10/14/2020 = Motion to Dismiss Filed
Motion to Dismiss
Filed By:State of Indiana
File Stamp:10/14/2020

10/15/2020 = Hearing Scheduling Activity
Pretrial Conference scheduled for 11/30/2020 at 1:30 PM was cancelled. Reason: Dismissal / Judgment.

10/15/2020 = Order of Dismissal ** Without Prejudice
Judicial Officer:Branstetter, Jeffrey K. - M
Order Signed: 10/15/2020

Ah! Okay - so he is done with.... into my "after conviction" file for him...

And thank you for all your help in this case @FrostedGlass!
animated-smileys-waving-019.gif

Happy to be able to help. I assume you will be interested in following his appeal?

One case I've been watching filed an appeal and his has taken over a year to be heard; that happens on Thursday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back