CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW LWOP* #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
K9- I have also wondered about treatment of the girls beforehand... especially thinking of him outside grilling alone. I always thought about how my daughter would have been right outside too... his were not. Were they just inside watching tv or something? Or worse things?

SBM because I don't think their bodies would have been found - certainly not those beautiful girls.
JMO
It seemed to me that both Tammy and the FBI agent couldn't believe at first that they were in the tanks. They are well trained to conceal their thoughts and reactions during interrogations, but I noticed that they were briefly taken aback. I think Coder said something like "In the tanks?" ie repeating it. And then coming back all over again later to ask CW one more time if they were in the tanks, mentioning that it would be a lot of effort and danger to the people who would retrieve them. Shan'ann might not have been found either, had he time to go retrieve her and get her in the tank somehow on that Monday. If it weren't for Nicole breaking it all up at noonish, he would have had the whole afternoon/night to cover things up. But the grave would have been ID'd as a grave, I'd think, loose soil, and whatever was shed from her. CW just wasn't smart enough to think it through. Maybe if he had that extra time when her flight was delayed. I wonder if he thought he would get away with reporting her missing on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Yes... I think she was going in the tank too. But he couldn't do it. I didn't think about him coming back later tho. That might have been difficult if they were already known missing.

Yes... I think she was going in the tank too. But he couldn't do it. I didn't think about him coming back later tho. That might have been difficult if they were already known missing.
Well, who knew they were missing? Not the school, they were told the girls weren't coming. She wasn't answering her phone, but except for NAU it might not have mattered that much. CW would have returned at 3 or 4pm, and had all night. Various friends reporting her as gone? SW and her girls "went on a play date", and who would have called back again on Monday. The doctor wouldn't have done more than leave a note on her phone that she missed the appt. I think he could have gotten away with a lot more if he had until Tuesday to report them missing. Nichole AU, the one friend we should all have. Like Oviedo said, there must have been quite a discussion between the 2 of them, stuck in the airport, with SW feeling so terrible.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember if her SUV had tinted windows? The only thing I can think of is that he was going to come back home via the back of the house, come in through the basement, and drive her car out that afternoon with her purse, some clothes, medicine, phone, etc. So Nate's cameras would have picked up the SUV leaving, but not him arriving, if there were tinted windows. I know we've gone over this a thousand times, but I would really like to know what his plan was. Then there is what to do with the car (I'm not an advocate of the theory of blowing up the site), but at least if they were out of the house it would give him time. Assumihg he got her body out of the grave that same night. Maybe he screwed up in actually taking her body with the kids and him, maybe Bella made him take SW along, after he said she had to go to the hospital. He could have returned later after murdering the children, put her in the car, got the car out and ....where? It might have looked like she left and did something to the kids, leaving them somewhere if the car was found with SW in it. But he wouldn't have had the haphazardly dug grave to deal with.

Last edited:
It seemed to me that both Tammy and the FBI agent couldn't believe at first that they were in the tanks. They are well trained to conceal their thoughts and reactions during interrogations, but I noticed that they were briefly taken aback. I think Coder said something like "In the tanks?" ie repeating it. And then coming back all over again later to ask CW one more time if they were in the tanks, mentioning that it would be a lot of effort and danger to the people who would retrieve them. Shan'ann might not have been found either, had he time to go retrieve her and get her in the tank somehow on that Monday. If it weren't for Nicole breaking it all up at noonish, he would have had the whole afternoon/night to cover things up. But the grave would have been ID'd as a grave, I'd think, loose soil, and whatever was shed from her. CW just wasn't smart enough to think it through. Maybe if he had that extra time when her flight was delayed. I wonder if he thought he would get away with reporting her missing on Tuesday.

I remember some discussion on this subject in the beginning. Every single person was beyond horrified. CW was even compared to Jeffrey Mcdonald, another "family annihilator". Someone mentioned that at least JM left his victims in their beds.

The desecration of the children's bodies in oil tanks, the actual act of putting the children in the oil tanks, even now, is beyond belief for normal people to wrap their heads around.

I remember some discussion on this subject in the beginning. Every single person was beyond horrified. CW was even compared to Jeffrey Mcdonald, another "family annihilator". Someone mentioned that at least JM left his victims in their beds.

The desecration of the children's bodies in oil tanks, the actual act of putting the children in the oil tanks, even now, is beyond belief for normal people to wrap their heads around.
I know. It's incomprehensible. I remember some people saying, before the facts were known, that he had probably just hidden them in some shed in an empty oil drum, ie an old 55 gal drum, just a place to hide them temporarily. And others said that crude oil was seen as being a benevolent, somewhat blessed aspect of the Colorado plains, and leaving them anywhere near oil was like leaving them in a near-sacred place. Paraphrased. But once the truth came out, it was like a silence hit everyone, how could he do that? Recently I heard someone point out that just after he was telling them about the girls being in the tanks, he was offered a slice of pizza, and he wolfed it down like he had nothing else on his mind.

Tammy was trying to get him to tell her where everyone was, and he pointed at the grave where Shan'ann was. Then she asked where the girls were, and he pointed to the tanks (in the photo) and put initials by the tanks. There was a pause, and that's when Coder, IIRC, said IN THE TANKS?, but with subtle, cold, emphasis as I mentioned earlier, like he couldn't believe it but his training made him not blow up. IMO CW just said yes. No emotion at all.

I don't follow a lot of murder cases, but this one is a manifestation of pure evil. Not a horrific act that came spontaneously from some dark place in a person's mind, in an uncontrollable minute, in CW's case just a horrid, incomprehensible act done matter of factly without shame or self awareness afterwards. He just didn't , and doesn't, IMO care. And didn't seem to understand how the world would perceive his putting pics of the girls on his wall and reading to them from their favorite books after he coldly took their lives. I don't believe in the devil and religious things, but there is something pure evil in Chris Watts.

Last edited:
I know. It's incomprehensible. I remember some people saying, before the facts were known, that he had probably just hidden them in some shed in an empty oil drum, ie an old 55 gal drum, just a place to hide them temporarily. And others said that crude oil was seen as being a benevolent, somewhat blessed aspect of the Colorado plains, and leaving them anywhere near oil was like leaving them in a near-sacred place. Paraphrased. But once the truth came out, it was like a silence hit everyone, how could he do that? Recently I heard someone point out that just after he was telling them about the girls being in the tanks, he was offered a slice of pizza, and he wolfed it down like he had nothing else on his mind.

Tammy was trying to get him to tell her where everyone was, and he pointed at the grave where Shan'ann was. Then she asked where the girls were, and he pointed to the tanks (in the photo) and put initials by the tanks. There was a pause, and that's when Coder, IIRC, said IN THE TANKS?, but with subtle, cold, emphasis as I mentioned earlier, like he couldn't believe it but his training made him not blow up. IMO CW just said yes. No emotion at all.

I don't follow a lot of murder cases, but this one is a manifestation of pure evil. I don't believe in the devil and religious things, but there is something pure evil in Chris Watts.

He may definitely meet some sort of psychopathology. I am not even sure what he would be considered, according to the DSM.

The "infomercial" (not even sure what to call it) that his family is posting on Facebook on October 23rd will be interesting to watch.

The scene in lifetime movie where he kills her is based on his version of what happened. There is no way to know what happened. This is so disrespectful of her.
He told several versions of how he killed her. The one that sticks with me is that he said that she was praying for him as he murdered her, and that's why there were no defensive wounds.

Like anyone with half a brain is going to buy that. :rolleyes:o_O:(
It reminds me so much of what BMorphew said, paraphrased, that his wife wouldn't have minded what happened to her if it saved one other person. I don't remember the exact words, but it seems the same sentiment......it doesn't matter what happened to the wife, she was OK with it. Both people seeming to absolve a killer of murder, if the wife didn't care.....some twisted sicko mental gymnastics there.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Nothing at all new in that video, those of us who followed the case have seen it all, watched the whole thing unfold. So I definitely wouldn't agree that we "now" have a documentary, as though something new has turned up. We see the inaccuracies, ommissions, due to reading some 2000 pages of discovery and watching hours of video. There have been several other "documentaries" using basically the same snippets of video. The only people in this case who portrayed SW in a bad light are the mil and fil. Even CW has denied, on the record with LE most of what his parents spread around, but the TV folks need to create drama. Can we even link to this new video? Has it been cleared for this board?
We are in definite disagreement that there is some new information with which to analyze the victim's behavior. Again.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

The documentary only showed a few short clips of her FB videos and only the text messages from the last few weeks of their marriage, after Chris had started the affair and began distancing himself from his wife and daughters.

There are many posts and videos which show Shanann encouraging, praising, and supporting her husband. It was as if she knew he had low self esteem and was trying to lift him up.

She was the dominant one in the relationship, and Chris was a follower. It worked for him. He needed someone to show him how to love and how to be a father. He didn't feel or understand emotions like a normal person does. He had to google things like "How do you know when you love someone?" "How does it feel when someone kisses you?"

Yet he did a pretty good job at mimicking human behavior, since according to all of their friends they had the perfect marriage. Once Shanann realized the marriage was in trouble, she tried to get him to open up about what was bothering him and told him she would change. She suggested therapy and Chris agreed he would try to work things out.

Just before the murder, she ordered a book about relationships which Chris said he would read. She left him a note saying the book was on the counter before she left for her trip that weekend. Investigators later found it in the bottom of the garbage can in the kitchen.

Chris never had any intention of working out their problems. In his mind it was easier to get rid of her and the kids, put his past behind him and start over with someone new. I don't think Shanann truly knew what kind of person he was until he had his hands around her throat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing at all new in that video, those of us who followed the case have seen it all, watched the whole thing unfold. So I definitely wouldn't agree that we "now" have a documentary, as though something new has turned up. We see the inaccuracies, ommissions, due to reading some 2000 pages of discovery and watching hours of video. There have been several other "documentaries" using basically the same snippets of video. The only people in this case who portrayed SW in a bad light are the mil and fil. Even CW has denied, on the record with LE most of what his parents spread around, but the TV folks need to create drama. Can we even link to this new video? Has it been cleared for this board?
We are in definite disagreement that there is some new information with which to analyze the victim's behavior. Again.
Are we talking about the Netflix documentary? An American murder ? That’s my reference point but now I’m confused

Are we talking about the Netflix documentary? An American murder ? That’s my reference point but now I’m confused
I really don't know what documentary has come out that provides fresh fuel to go after Shan'ann under the guise of analyzing marital dynamics. That's the part I don't agree with, that "NOW" there is something new which makes it OK. There isn't anything new in that doc. It's just my own opinion that the murderer should be criticized, not the victim.

That's the documentary I am referencing regarding the comments I recently made. I'm not quite sure what the OP is referring to. It's the most recent, and it's the one that prompted discussion to rev up again. If there is another documentary out there that is purporting to have "new" information, I'm not referencing it.

You said "We now have a situation where a documentary has been made about a case that got widespread national attention, and we've been privy to some of the most intimate details, both visual and written record, of the lives in this family."

I say, no, we don't have something new. That just came out NOW.

And, much of what was in that video is rehash, rerun, cherry picked and interpreted. There is no new information that we have NOW learned to focus on Shan'ann's behavior as presented in a tv docudrama, that justifies focusing on the victim instead of the murderer. MsBetsy said it best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123