CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live close to SF and have been to Crissy Field many times. It has been open, though during the COVID lockdowns they just closed the parking lots for a few months (though they reopened the parkings in June), and you could still walk, bike, etc. at Crissy Field despite the lot closures. There is a trail near the West Buff Picnic Area of the field that you can walk or bike up to by the bridge. Though since the field is pretty big I wonder if she was closer to the Palace of Fine Arts/Marina area or by the West Bluff Picnic/Fort Point area when she disappeared (both are kind of far from each other).

. There are public restrooms on the trail from CF to the base of the bridge. She may have been there at a dark an in-trafficked time and gotten on the radar of the wrong person. Also, if her location is based on a phone locator there is a chance she was merely in transit near the area and not truly “located” there beyond passing through. If that area, as someone suggested, has a frat vibe, I then wonder at the possibility of a date rape drug. I wish that she really were just being independent and free, but these other 2 scenarios are equally strong.

I don't know about Crissy Field restrooms, but the restrooms in our parks are closed while the parks are closed. Locked, tough wire gate across the doorways. Then part of the park 'opening' in the morning is the unlocking of the restrooms.
This is done to stop vandalism and/or misuse.

The opening time of Crissy Field was mentioned further back ... perhaps 7 0r 7:30am?

Vigil scheduled:
Vigil to Find Sydney West on Thursday, October 15th at 4pm

Vigil to Find Sydney West on Thursday, October 15th at 4pm ET

I live about 10 minutes from the Vigil location in Chapel Hill and might attend. I don't know the family but I want to support them. I can access FB through my DH's account so may decide to view it on FB instead of in person.

I'm a grandmother of a young man a little older than Syd. I think about her all the time, hoping and praying she is all right and will return to her family soon.

From FB:
On Thursday, October 15th at 4pm ET, we will hold a Vigil to Find Sydney West. This Vigil is intended to bring together our community, celebrate our love for Sydney, and talk about the help we need to keep up the momentum to find Sydney. We are blessed with so many friends and family who share our desperation to find Syd.

Sydney was last seen September 30th, very early in the morning near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. She is 5’10” and was wearing black leggings, a teal hoodie, her hair in bun on top of her head and her favorite old slip on Vans (dark green and black print).

This Vigil to Find Sydney will be physically held in Chapel Hill, and will also be streamed live on Facebook Live (Find Sydney West
), so it can be viewed from anywhere. While we welcome Chapel Hill friends to attend in-person, there are attendance limitations due to COVID. We are thankful to be able to offer Facebook Live as an option.

We are also planning a Vigil to Find Sydney in the Bay Area of California. As soon as we have logistical details about it, we will share.

For those who plan to attend The Vigil to Find Sydney West in-person on Thursday, October 15th, please:
· Wear a mask and bring hand sanitizer
· Bring your own low chairs or blankets.
· Maintain physical distance at all times - each family will be assigned a ‘pod’ - a painted 9 ft. by 8 ft. area of the grass. Each pod is limited to 5 people.
· Stay at home if you feel sick or are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.

To stay up to date on the latest information about Sydney, please visit FB page
Find Sydney West
or IG page find_sydney_west

Thank you so much for all your support to get our daughter home. #FindSydneyWest

I live about 10 minutes from the Vigil location in Chapel Hill and might attend. I don't know the family but I want to support them. I can access FB through my DH's account so may decide to view it on FB instead of in person.

I'm a grandmother of a young man a little older than Syd. I think about her all the time, hoping and praying she is all right and will return to her family soon.

From FB:
On Thursday, October 15th at 4pm ET, we will hold a Vigil to Find Sydney West. This Vigil is intended to bring together our community, celebrate our love for Sydney, and talk about the help we need to keep up the momentum to find Sydney. We are blessed with so many friends and family who share our desperation to find Syd.

Sydney was last seen September 30th, very early in the morning near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. She is 5’10” and was wearing black leggings, a teal hoodie, her hair in bun on top of her head and her favorite old slip on Vans (dark green and black print).

This Vigil to Find Sydney will be physically held in Chapel Hill, and will also be streamed live on Facebook Live (Find Sydney West
), so it can be viewed from anywhere. While we welcome Chapel Hill friends to attend in-person, there are attendance limitations due to COVID. We are thankful to be able to offer Facebook Live as an option.

We are also planning a Vigil to Find Sydney in the Bay Area of California. As soon as we have logistical details about it, we will share.

For those who plan to attend The Vigil to Find Sydney West in-person on Thursday, October 15th, please:
· Wear a mask and bring hand sanitizer
· Bring your own low chairs or blankets.
· Maintain physical distance at all times - each family will be assigned a ‘pod’ - a painted 9 ft. by 8 ft. area of the grass. Each pod is limited to 5 people.
· Stay at home if you feel sick or are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.

To stay up to date on the latest information about Sydney, please visit FB page
Find Sydney West
or IG page find_sydney_west

Thank you so much for all your support to get our daughter home. #FindSydneyWest
Does this mean LE has found certain video footage ? This is new and more specific:
was wearing black leggings, a teal hoodie, her hair in bun on top of her head and her favorite old slip on Vans (dark green and black print).”

Try this link in NAMUS. If you can't view it, they may be making changes to it.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Thanks for the link, sadly this makes the disappearance all the more" real", truly hoping Syd is found soon and her stats are no longer needed here.
From link..
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP74272 Sydney Kaitlyn West, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactSeptember 29, 2020
Missing FromSan Francisco, California
Missing Age19 Years
Current Age19 Years
''Missing Age19 Years
Current Age19 Years
First Name Sydney
Middle NameKaitlyn
Last NameWest

SexFemale
Height 5' 10" (70 Inches)
Weight 125 - 135 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactSeptember 29, 2020
NamUs Case CreatedOctober 3, 2020
Last Known Location Map
Location San Francisco, California
CountySan Francisco County
Missing From Tribal LandNo
Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Disappearance Sydney West was last seen on September 29, 2020 in the Berkeley, California area however it is thought she traveled to the Crissy Field area of San Francisco, California on the early morning of September 30, 2020. It is very unusual that she has been out of contact with family for this length of time.
Circumstance Notes
Sydney Kaitlyn West

Physical Description
Hair Color Blond/Strawberry
Head Hair Description Long hair usually in a pony tail
Body Hair Description --
Facial Hair Description --
Left Eye Color Blue
Right Eye Color Blue
Eye Description --
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Green/White/black athletic shorts White sandals T-shirt Outerwear: either a black Adidas jacket or a bright turquoise sweatshirt Vans slip-on shoes-old and faded with holes in the toes. Color: dark green and black''

I don't know about Crissy Field restrooms, but the restrooms in our parks are closed while the parks are closed. Locked, tough wire gate across the doorways. Then part of the park 'opening' in the morning is the unlocking of the restrooms.
This is done to stop vandalism and/or misuse.

The opening time of Crissy Field was mentioned further back ... perhaps 7 0r 7:30am?
7:58am to 7pm

Hmmm yeah that's interesting.
Latitude and Longitude when you click map: 37.7749295,-122.4194155
Latitude and Longitude for San Francisco in general: 37.773972, -122.431297

Because her last known location is listed as just 'San Francisco', it seems like that's what the coordinates are referring to. But the numbers don't match to a T.

But I thought MSM said she was at Crissy Field? Huge deal if not true.

So does MSM say her phone pinged at Crissy or not?

If not Crissy Field then we know virtually nothing about where she went missing.

I’m inclined to agree the coordinates are really just general SF coordinates though...back to the bridge area.
I think the coordinates are exactly where she was last seen caught on video. It doesn’t mean that was her destination.

The last seen location is so important - and the area so vast - if she was seen, I think it wouldn’t just be random coordinates.

But I thought MSM said she was at Crissy Field? Huge deal if not true.

So does MSM say her phone pinged at Crissy or not?

If not Crissy Field then we know virtually nothing about where she went missing.
I think they only know where she was headed. And hope those coordinates are where she was caught on camera.

I politely disagree. I think we need to go with what is being shared via mainstream media regarding her last known location, which is the Crissy Field area. Those NAMUS coordinates are just the coordinates for San Francisco. Look at all the other NAMUS profiles in the San Francisco area. They all have the same coordinates. If they're all going missing at the same location I think we have a whole other issue here! I think it was a great idea from the OP who suggested/asked about the coordinates but now I think it is causing great confusion and we should really use the MSM information regarding her last seen location.

I think the coordinates are exactly where she was last seen caught on video. It doesn’t mean that was her destination.

The last seen location is so important - and the area so vast - if she was seen, I think it wouldn’t just be random coordinates.

Someone said that if you go to the other missing person cases in San Francisco and click map it brings up the same coordinates and same location though

From the Find Sydney West FB page, about 30 min ago:

Sydney was an earth lover! She convinced her Mom to compost, she was conscientious of being a good steward of the earth. She loved animals and the outdoors and saw beauty in everything around her! She was a loving, kind soul and if you met her, you know how soecial@she was. Please send some love out today for Syd and please, please, please don’t stop praying, sharing, and looking for our girl! We sure do miss her!!

I really do not know what to make of the heavy use of past tense.
Maybe they just aren't aware of how it sounds?

Last edited:
If you look at any of the other missing persons cases on NAMUS from "San Francisco", that's the exact location the map takes you to. I believe this is just the location for the city itself on the map, not exactly where Syd was last seen.
Thank you for checking that.

It's too bad there isn't a smaller area defined where she was last seen then. Aside from her mom saying she was seen in the Golden Gate Bridge area in the early AM of Sept. 30, possibly headed to Crissy Field, there's not much to go on. That area covers a lot of ground especially if she actually made it to the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni