New Zealand - White Island volcano erupts, 19 dead, many injuries from cruise excursion, 9 Dec 2019 *charges*

Oh you are so kind, Hatfield - thank u.

I meant to add in my last post how brave Stephanie has been to share her story. It hurts to think of the incredible physical pain she has endured, not to mention the astounding mental anguish she must deal with for the rest of her life. Unimaginable.

What a sad, horrific tragedy. Prayers for them all.

eta: p.s. I like reading your comments on Suzanne’s thread. Clear, concise & well thought out!

White Island volcano (New Zealand): seismic unrest continues at generally low levels
Wednesday Sep 16, 2020 06:47 AM | BY: MARTIN
Bez_n%C3%A1zvu_f91fd8.jpg

Gas emissions from White Island volcano today (image: GeoNet)
GeoNet reported that volcanologists did a three gas flight observations and one observation flight over the last 6 weeks.
Results from the gas flights indicate that magma beneath the volcano still degasses at high rates. The vent system above the magma appears to be open, allowing the gas to escape relatively unobstructed. During fine weather conditions this will generate moderate to large gas-steam plumes above the island
White Island volcano (New Zealand): seismic unrest continues at generally low levels

"We started seeing smoke coming out of the crater, and then only a few seconds later, we heard the tour guide scream 'run!'"
Almost a year on from the New Zealand tragedy that killed 21 people and left many others with severe burns and injuries, survivors stuck on the island tell 60 Minutes they felt 'abandoned', when rescue crews, trained and dedicated to run towards danger, were instead directed to stay away.

"I thought I was going to die." Survivors of the White Island volcano disaster speak to 60 Minutes

I wonder if a battle ensued over 4 months to confirm his death was because of the volcano. Insurance? Money?

Horst Westenfelder, 64, from Germany, died in an overseas hospital due to medical complications.

He died on July 2 but his death has only now been confirmed as resulting from the blast, New Zealand Police said in a statement on Thursday.

Royal Caribbean takes legal action against survivors of New Zealand's White Island volcano disaster

The cruise company has filed lawsuits in the Australian federal court to try to stop survivors suing it in the US

In litigation in Miami, American couple Ivy and Paul Reed, who were severely burned when the White Island volcano erupted a year ago, and Australians Marie and Stephanie Browitt, who lost family in the disaster, have accused Royal Caribbean of failing in its duty to keep passengers safe by allowing a day trip to White Island to go ahead despite warnings the volcano might erupt.

But last week the cruise company applied to the federal court in Australia for a ruling prohibiting the families from going any further with their US lawsuits.

Royal Caribbean, which is the biggest cruise company in the world, claims a clause in the ticket contract governing the voyage means courts in the Australian state of New South Wales are the only venue that can hear disputes over the disaster.

They allege Royal Caribbean either knew or ought to have known that the volcano was dangerous but went ahead and sold tickets to the day trip anyway in order to maximise its profit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieSnoop1975
Back