Found Deceased FL - Stephanie Chitwood Hollingsworth, 50, Belle Isle, 25 Sept 2020

I've been wondering where LE is because we haven't heard from them. JMOO is is possible that they have something that is getting tested or that they are collecting records, videos, etc. and waiting for results and all of these things to collect before they give any updates. They have been really quiet lately. JMOO

I've been wondering where LE is because we haven't heard from them. JMOO is is possible that they have something that is getting tested or that they are collecting records, videos, etc. and waiting for results and all of these things to collect before they give any updates. They have been really quiet lately. JMOO
Yes I’m concerned - I’m local and after Caylee Anthony, Jennifer Kesse and Michelle Parker there is something off here
IMO

I feel like I read early a warning not to approach the car. Perhaps a weapon is also missing, which would leave the family knowing what likely happened, just not where.

Hoping of course she's safe in a treatment center somewhere....

And not in a storage container. We've already seen that tragic ending.

My heart goes out to her family.

JMO

Any idea of the date she was to be booked into the treatment centre?
I believe it was said by family that she was waiting for a bed to open up at a treatment center.

From what we have been TOLD by the FAMILY it is difficult to see when there was opportunity for domestic foul play. But there is a LOT we don’t know.

JMO: all the evidence we have suggests she was out for a short errand.

Still not clear to me if SH was supposed to pick up kids from school?

To me this is important. Why is this not answered on family search page? If she missed pick up after never or rarely missing pick up that is a huge deal. If she had no obligations, again important to know.

As I posted previously, SH is small enough to die of alcohol poisoning. But it doesn’t explain her car being missing unless she drove into secluded water or woods.

Locals note how busy these areas are and doubt she could have such an accident go unnoticed.

What if she drank, passed out, came to at night realizing she missed school pick up and... went to drown her shame and drink more. At a bar or to a store or she already had alcohol and had an accident driving at night. We know everyone is searching accident spots and lots. I Hope bars/stores have been canvassed too.

on the question of domestic foul play, I agree with the calls for neighbors to speak out on what their videos show. Let everyone know her car never came back to the neighborhood and Stop the speculation if that is the case. JMO

I believe it was said by family that she was waiting for a bed to open up at a treatment center.

From what we have been TOLD by the FAMILY it is difficult to see when there was opportunity for domestic foul play. But there is a LOT we don’t know.

JMO: all the evidence we have suggests she was out for a short errand.

Still not clear to me if SH was supposed to pick up kids from school?

To me this is important. Why is this not answered on family search page? If she missed pick up after never or rarely missing pick up that is a huge deal. If she had no obligations, again important to know.

As I posted previously, SH is small enough to die of alcohol poisoning. But it doesn’t explain her car being missing unless she drove into secluded water or woods.

Locals note how busy these areas are and doubt she could have such an accident go unnoticed.

What if she drank, passed out, came to at night realizing she missed school pick up and... went to drown her shame and drink more. At a bar or to a store or she already had alcohol and had an accident driving at night. We know everyone is searching accident spots and lots. I Hope bars/stores have been canvassed too.

on the question of domestic foul play, I agree with the calls for neighbors to speak out on what their videos show. Let everyone know her car never came back to the neighborhood and Stop the speculation if that is the case. JMO
This is what is most troubling to me - LE has said nothing and no word about the neighborhood and potential cameras / mine shares video and believe me every little thing gets posted so the quiet here is worrying
JMO

I just found this thread and I read all of it. I find this case very... odd? Stephanie disappeared on September 25 and well, the day before she made this post about her son's 21st birthday. The family went out for a meal and for his first legal drink. Which, seems a bit odd in a setting where the birthday boy's mom is an alcoholic awaiting for a rehab spot, with a bag ready to go.

Exactly. People that are aware they have an alcoholic in the family and are not enablers, try avoid having alcohol around. Whole families are going dry to help their addicted loved ones. Let me understood well - I do not blame her family of anything. Like Lusitana I find this situation very very weird.

Iagree with the posts finding the amount of private information being shared by her husband a little weird, especially because they have two sons in high school. Why make that much stuff public, to the point of mentioning she has a bag ready for her to leave to rehab? Seems a bit much. But, to be honest, what really bothers me is how her husband keeps saying "her family, her children", shouldn't it be "our family, our children"? That is so weird.

Indeed. And the husband sharing the info about Stephanie's issues is, I must say, quite unusual. Usually families aren't so eager to admit their missing loved ones had problems, especially with drinking (or other addictions). They are ashamed, afraid people won't be looking for an addict. Did any other family member confirmed Stephanie was alcoholic?

I agree. Very strange LE has been so quiet. I feel like they know a lot more than is public.
This is the one case where I am still not feeling the husband's involvement at all. I find it rather admirable he came out and said that his wife has struggled for a long time with mental issues/alcohol. I feel so badly for her children. Can't even imagine the worry/confusion/sadness. I pray she is found soon.

I'm just finding it so very unusual that her vehicle isn't showing up on camera. At least not that we know of.

I'm really trying not to give a side eye to her husband, he strikes me as sincere. I could be totally wrong about that.

I took the "making her family lunch and drinks" as meaning lunch and ice tea or lemonade or whatever, too, not necessarily alcoholic drinks.

We've seen some very tragic cases of women going off and suiciding lately. I'm very worried about Stephanie and I hope for a positive outcome in this.

As far as I can tell, yesterday's press conference was not supported by LE. It was given by SH's husband, the guy who is leading the search with him, a man named Larry, and a retired detective. Just FYI.

JMO.

Satellite imagery from space agencies sought in search for missing Belle Isle woman
My initial thought when I read your comment was that his doing something not supported by LE is a red flag...but after thinking about it for a minute, it seems like this speaks to how desperate and determined he is to do anything to find her.

I agree. Very strange LE has been so quiet. I feel like they know a lot more than is public.
This is the one case where I am still not feeling the husband's involvement at all. I find it rather admirable he came out and said that his wife has struggled for a long time with mental issues/alcohol. I feel so badly for her children. Can't even imagine the worry/confusion/sadness. I pray she is found soon.

I agree. It's actually the only case I can remember off the top of my head where I didn't assume a female victim's husband was involved.

We (rightfully) have great faith in LE, because they do such important work. But sometimes we assume they are almost superhuman, and that every move LE makes is highly calculated and "correct" because they know something we don't...that's not always the case.

As far as alcohol being in the house with an alcoholic, I'm assuming most posters baffled by this are fortunate enough to not have close friends or family members with addiction issues. The family not celebrating her son's 21st birthday with a drink, which is a rite of passage for many people in our culture, would be a little like not serving cake at a child's birthday party because his mother has diabetes. (Not the best comparison, but hopefully that makes sense!) Families handle addiction in different ways. Supporting the person struggling with addiction is obviously important, but rearranging everyone's lives to accommodate that person isn't always an effective strategy. In fact, a parent walking on eggshells and taking responsibility for their partner's success or failure at remaining sober is unhealthy behavior to model for children.

The same goes for the idea she couldn't possibly have packed lunches or looked so nice if she were an alcoholic - I assure you with 100% certainty, it IS possible, and not uncommon. I'm not making a statement about Stephanie's particular situation, I'm just saying that I know from first-hand experience that it is possible to perform well at a full-time job, cook, clean, raise children, be active in the community, attend church every Sunday and Bible study through the week, AND be addicted to alcohol. I personally know more than a few people who have functioned for many decades this way.

I do not believe he is making up her issues, otherwise other family members and friends would likely be shouting from the rooftops to contradict him. I think he genuinely believes this played a role, and doesn't want energy wasted on finding some masked assailant, when he has years of experience with her and therefore reason to believe her issues with alcohol are most likely a factor in her disappearance.

Of course these are my opinions only, and I respect the opinions of the wonderful, caring people here even if they differ from mine! My gut has been wrong once or twice! ;)

I care so much about this lady and her family, it's amazing how invested we can get in a stranger. That's what WS does to us, I guess!

I don't think we can assume that the "drinks" she was making for her son & husband contained alcohol. I took that quote as she did what she may have normally done during lunchtime, maybe whipped up some sandwiches and a pitcher of lemonade or iced tea.
I also assumed she prepared lunch and non-alcoholic beverages. If not, I'm not sure SH the only party with an alcohol problem given that it was early afternoon when SH was last seen on video. Did SH buy the vodka for herself or was she sent on an errand to buy that bottle? MOO

Last edited:
Indeed. And the husband sharing the info about Stephanie's issues is, I must say, quite unusual. Usually families aren't so eager to admit their missing loved ones had problems, especially with drinking (or other addictions). They are ashamed, afraid people won't be looking for an addict. Did any other family member confirmed Stephanie was alcoholic?

Like some others here, I find it admirable that Stephanie's husband is apparently willing to put all information on the table in order to help find her.

There was another poster earlier in this thread (@Lamima ?) who also said that it's unusual for family of the missing to come out with "negative" information like addiction. I follow a case of a missing person in my local area and there do seem to be hints of personal issues that could definitely affect how this person disappeared and why but the family is very tight-lipped about it.

I'm curious if you or others here think that the decision NOT to reveal addictions and other "negative" behaviors by the family is usually solely their call or if LE also recommend not mentioning things like this. I can definitely see where the public may have more interest in looking for someone who's just described as a missing mom vs. someone who's also described as an addict, for instance. Do you think Stephanie's husband may be going against official advice by being so specific about her problems?

Like some others here, I find it admirable that Stephanie's husband is apparently willing to put all information on the table in order to help find her.

There was another poster earlier in this thread (@Lamima ?) who also said that it's unusual for family of the missing to come out with "negative" information like addiction. I follow a case of a missing person in my local area and there do seem to be hints of personal issues that could definitely affect how this person disappeared and why but the family is very tight-lipped about it.

I'm curious if you or others here think that the decision NOT to reveal addictions and other "negative" behaviors by the family is usually solely their call or if LE also recommend not mentioning things like this. I can definitely see where the public may have more interest in looking for someone who's just described as a missing mom vs. someone who's also described as an addict, for instance. Do you think Stephanie's husband may be going against official advice by being so specific about her problems?
Honestly, I feel like LE likes to know these things. It helps them know what direction to go. But I think its the families who usually don't want to say because they feel LE and searchers won't look so hard if they know the missing has a drug or alcohol problem or was a hooker or stripper or whatever. That maybe LE will think they are just out there living the wild life and not contacting their family so no need to search as hard for them. Also might feel like their missing loved one won't be valued as much if LE knew of their lifestyle.

This is a different situation though. So I can get the hubby being so forthcoming with the alcohol and mental issues. He is worried it may have played a role in her being missing. But I also can't help but wonder if he is setting up some narrative as an excuse for something. Probably the former and not the latter.

So I now feel the headteachers walked into my class but in a good way :) We will see how this case plays out but are you suggesting foul play by the husband?
I mean, no, not really. I do find some details really odd. I think there's a big possibility that some things are being kept "secret", I have a really hard time believing that LE doesn't have a bunch of footage of her moving around town. Once the car is found, I think the case will pick up the speed. She has been missing for almost a month, I don't think she's okay.

Exactly. People that are aware they have an alcoholic in the family and are not enablers, try avoid having alcohol around. Whole families are going dry to help their addicted loved ones. Let me understood well - I do not blame her family of anything. Like Lusitana I find this situation very very weird.

Yeah, I'm not putting any blame or shame on the family because it's really hard. I just found the dicotomy of having a mom waiting for a spot in a rehab facility, which means that she agreed on going to rehab and that decision was already made, thus the family expected her to go through the steps of getting sober, and then, keeping alcohol around. It doesn't make much sense to expect an alcoholic to be sober and to work on her sobriety, and then have alcohol around her like that.

I'm just finding it so very unusual that her vehicle isn't showing up on camera. At least not that we know of.

I'm really trying not to give a side eye to her husband, he strikes me as sincere. I could be totally wrong about that.

I took the "making her family lunch and drinks" as meaning lunch and ice tea or lemonade or whatever, too, not necessarily alcoholic drinks.

We've seen some very tragic cases of women going off and suiciding lately. I'm very worried about Stephanie and I hope for a positive outcome in this.
I honestly can't believe LE doesn't have more footage of her moving around town, there is no way. I'm assuming they know something or have something, but are keeping it quiet for now, for some reason.
Yeah, people jumped into the conclusion that she made alcoholic beverages for her family because there's such a big emphasis being put on her buying the vodka bottle, of her supposedly being an alcoholic and about to go to rehab... I don't really think she made any alcoholic beverages, it was probably something like a natural juice, or a lemonade like you said.

Honestly, I feel like LE likes to know these things. It helps them know what direction to go. But I think its the families who usually don't want to say because they feel LE and searchers won't look so hard if they know the missing has a drug or alcohol problem or was a hooker or stripper or whatever. That maybe LE will think they are just out there living the wild life and not contacting their family so no need to search as hard for them. Also might feel like their missing loved one won't be valued as much if LE knew of their lifestyle.

This is a different situation though. So I can get the hubby being so forthcoming with the alcohol and mental issues. He is worried it may have played a role in her being missing. But I also can't help but wonder if he is setting up some narrative as an excuse for something. Probably the former and not the latter.

IMO, LE knows what they are doing and they released just enough information (including stating SH was "endangered") in their initial announcement so that the public would know that the missing person had a dependency history (i.e., alcohol). However, LE was also diligent in releasing the last and only video of SH shopping at Walmart Liquor - and provided that she did not appear to be in distress.

Perhaps the husband was responding to a reporter's question when he added his own narrative about his wife's mental health - I don't know. However, I think both LE and the public get a twitch when somebody seems compelled to overshare personal information about their missing loved one (SH's many demons) -- whether they call it trying to overcome a taboo or not.

Personally, I don't find going into the fine details of SH's history beyond what we learned from LE necessary unless there was misleading or incorrect information released which I don't think applies here. In the back of my mind, I'm storing how SH had lifelong depression, anxiety, alcohol issues yet she reportedly never once went without contact beyond a few hours -- let alone days, weeks. I'm more interested in knowing what really happened on Sept 25 -- what was her state of mind that afternoon.... What did the neighbors hear, see?

MOO

IMO, LE knows what they are doing and they released just enough information (including stating SH was "endangered") in their initial announcement so that the public would know that the missing person had a dependency history (i.e., alcohol). However, LE was also diligent in releasing the last and only video of SH shopping at Walmart Liquor - and provided that she did not appear to be in distress.

Perhaps the husband was responding to a reporter's question when he added his own narrative about his wife's mental health - I don't know. However, I think both LE and the public get a twitch when somebody seems compelled to overshare personal information about their missing loved one (SH's many demons) -- whether they call it trying to overcome a taboo or not.

Personally, I don't find going into the fine details of SH's history beyond what we learned from LE necessary unless there was misleading or incorrect information released which I don't think applies here. In the back of my mind, I'm storing how SH had lifelong depression, anxiety, alcohol issues yet she reportedly never once went without contact beyond a few hours -- let alone days, weeks. I'm more interested in knowing what really happened on Sept 25 -- what was her state of mind that afternoon.... What did the neighbors hear, see?

MOO
I'm still finding it difficult to believe they have no video after Walmart - I remember from Mollie's case the collection and review took weeks so maybe I just need to be more patient. It's just such a large vehicle - so I'm back to my water theory.
JMO

Here's another media report - Husband, family of missing Belle Isle woman were never suspects

I think we've all wondered when she was reported missing and in the article it says that she was reported missing on the same day of the video of her in Walmart. It doesn't say who reported her missing. IMoO, there isn't any evidence to suspect anyone of anything because they haven't found her, the vehicle, or anything else - yet. Please don't drop the ball on this one local PD! There are too many missing person cases in CF that haven't been solved yet and my heart goes out to the missing loved ones families.

It's settled -- very rare to see police ever say this before a person located:

Husband, family of missing Belle Isle woman were never suspects

Oct 15, 2020

On Thursday, Belle Isle Police Chief Laura Houston issued a statement about Hollingsworth and her family, saying “Her husband, Scott Hollingsworth and his immediate family have been ruled out as persons of interest in her disappearance. Scott has been exceedingly cooperative with us throughout the investigation and has supplied all the information requested by detectives. We will not be commenting any further on this matter.”

[..]

Scott Hollingsworth was never considered a suspect and has not been reported as one since his wife’s disappearance. It’s unclear what prompted the clarification from the department.

There’s a $10,000 reward for information on Hollingsworth and her family has set up a command post at the Walmart location where she was last seen.

Scott Hollingsworth and other family members held a news conference Tuesday asking major tech companies to help find Stephanie Hollingsworth’s 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back