Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/christine-jessop-news-conference-1.5763673
rbbm.
''Sources say Calvin Hoover, the Torontonian they now believe committed the crime, died by suicide. Police did not confirm that at a news conference Thursday, saying only that there was no foul play associated with his death.''

''Hoover, who was 28-years-old at the time, was known to the Jessop family. He died in 2015, Ramer said.''

''Ramer said Hoover and his wife had a "neighbour acquaintance" relationship to the family at the time, and that Hoover may have worked with Jessop's father.

Hoover did have a "dated criminal record" but it had no significance for the Jessop investigation and he had not previously been identified as a suspect. Ramer said police are still interested in filling in the timeline of Hoover's life from 1984 to 2015.''

''The sample obtained from Jessop's underwear was an unknown sample. When Hoover's name was produced through the work of the U.S. lab, the centre, which happened to have a sample corresponding to Hoover, compared the two samples and found them to be a match.''

Im absolutely floored right now. My mom lived near Queensville when this all went down, and as a result became super protective over me because she knew what people were capable of. I still have my moms original copy of Redrum the Innocent that I have read a million times.

Glad to know there is anwsers for the family, sad to know he didn't get thrown in a cell for his heinous crimes. I wonder how close he lived to Nicole Morin.

Last edited:
Wow! I certainly didn't expect this news to pop up on my phone today.

I'm so glad this has been solved.

I do question why, if Hoover's car was seen in the Jessop driveway the afternoon Christine disappeared, that he wasn't a suspect.

I've always felt particularly bad for Guy Paul Moran. Talk about having something hanging over your head forever.

Not that it makes it any easier for the family, but at least everyone knows now and hopefully can begin to move forward.

Good Work!

Im absolutely floored right now. My mom lived near Queensville when this all went down, and as a result became super protective over me because she knew what people were capable of. I still have my moms original copy of Redrum the Innocent that I have read a million times.

Glad to know there is anwsers for the family, sad to know he didn't get thrown in a cell for his heinous crimes. I wonder how close he lived to Nicole Morin.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/christine-jessop-news-conference-1.576367
''Jessop's father 'sickened' by news
Toronto police have been investigating the case ever since.

Reached at his home, Christine's father, Bob Jessop, said he felt "sickened" by the news.

Police went to Guy Paul Morin's home Thursday personally to deliver the news to him.

"They said, 'we'll brief but we just want to apologize to you about what happened to you over the years. We have found the person responsible for Christine Jessop's murder," said Morin from his home.

Police would not tell him if it was a person he knew.

"I can say that I'm happy that there's closure for the Jessops' peace of mind," he said, adding he felt relief that his name can now be definitively cleared.

"It's something I was always expecting…. The justice system failed me but science saved me."
rbbm.

Full of mixed feelings here...

Great news - mystery closed - a killer revealed.
Cheers to that. And, I'm having a beer right now.

<modsnip>- missed him by 5 years.
<modsnip>
Slipped through our fingers - but he will be held up for all of history.

Calvin Hoover is the killer.

And, he was in the box all along (in the police file).
Same technique they used to catch The Golden State Killer.
I hope - hoped- hoped they would use this - and it paid off.
So - the DNA was there. I am so glad I was wrong about that.

End of a story... but also a new chapter.
Who was Calvin Hoover?
How did he walk between the raindrops for so long and not get wet?

Time will tell.
The work is just beginning to answer that one.

Over and out.

DPM

Last edited by a moderator:
If he was an early suspect, it’s disappointing that they didn’t pin him down years ago after the Morin exoneration. He was there all the time.

Canada has had some terrible miscarriage of justice cases, but this one was just rotten from the start until now.

Would it not be very rare for this type of crime to be a one-off occurrence?

With the exception of EAR/ONS, many of the cases solved through genetic genealogy seem to be one and done killers. The Victoria couple killed in the Seattle area would be an example.

The police are trying to put together a timeline, but I assume there are no other DNA hits or that would be mentioned as well.

Toronto Police Service :: News Release #48291
''Statement by Chief of Police Jim Ramer regarding the 1984 Homicide of Christine Jessop

''Thank you for joining us.
Today, I am joined by Staff Superintendent Peter Code from Detective Operations, the pillar that includes our Homicide section and the officers responsible for investigating this case over the last 25 years.

To provide an overview, it was October 3, 1984, when nine-year-old Christine Jessop went missing from her home in Queensville, Ontario, just north of Toronto, in York Region.

She was described as a girl "who loved life, her family, school, and sports". Her face, as seen here today, was on every television set and every newspaper. Hundreds of community members assisted in searching for Christine.

Tragically, on December 31, 1984, Christine was found in Sunderland, Ontario, in Durham Region. She had been stabbed to death and evidence that she had been sexually assaulted was located at the crime scene.

The investigation, as we know, resulted in the arrest of Guy Paul Morin. He was acquitted at his first trial, found guilty of first degree murder at his second trial before a successful Crown Appeal ultimately led to his acquittal in 1995 on fresh evidence submitted jointly by the Crown and the Defense.

At that time, the fresh evidence was DNA that conclusively established Guy Paul Morin was not the donor of semen stains found on Christine Jessop’s underwear.

I am not here to revisit that historical investigation. We are fortunate to have had the very thorough Public Inquiry and resulting recommendations by Justice Fred Kaufman.

I am here because of the diligent work of Toronto Police investigators.

On Friday, October 9, 2020, we positively confirmed the identification of the person responsible for the DNA sample found on Christine’s underwear.

Calvin Hoover, of Toronto, Ontario, was 28 years old in 1984.

He was known to the Jessop family at the time of Christine’s disappearance.

He died in 2015.

However, if he were alive today, the Toronto Police Service would arrest Calvin Hoover for the murder of Christine Jessop.

Today’s announcement is only the first very important answer in this ongoing investigation. It has obviously generated many more questions for us.

We are asking for the public’s help as we look for information about Calvin Hoover, in an effort to create a timeline of his whereabouts and the last moments of Christine’s life.

Please take a look at this photo. It is a photo of Mr. Hoover that dates back to the late 1990s. Despite how dated it is, it is our hope that it may jog someone’s memory about the events surrounding Christine’s disappearance. If you have any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, please contact police.

Before I take questions, I want to acknowledge the family and friends of Christine Jessop.

Our investigators met with Christine’s mother this morning. They continue to be with her at this moment.

We have also met with Mr. Morin this morning and have shared this news with him.

I believe there is no greater acknowledgement of his exoneration than the continued efforts of the Toronto Police Service to identify the person responsible for Christine’s murder.

Our investigators have also spoken to Justice Fred Kaufman. Because of the significant work he led during the Public Inquiry, we wanted to notify him personally of this development.

Given the origins of this investigation, I have spoken with the Chiefs of Durham and York Regional Police Services as this case has had a profound impact on their respective members

There is nothing I can say today that can reverse the tragic events of 36 years ago. There are no winners in this announcement, and this is not a reason to celebrate. It does, however, allow us to take a major step forward in our efforts to bring justice to Christine’s family.

I thank the members of our Homicide Cold Case section for their determination in getting us to this point.''

Last edited:
''In an interview with the Sun last year, Christine’s brother, Ken, said he believes her killer was a pedophile, now dead, who knew the family and whose car was reportedly seen in their driveway that day.

The person that Christine's brother suspected WAS NOT HOOVER. He suspected another man. His suspicions can be found quoted on post 16, page 1 of this thread, where the person is named by KJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86