Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
'It all fits': Christine Jessop’s brother, Kenney, shares theory on how his sister was abducted by Calvin Hoover
''Christine went to the convenience store to buy gum after returning to an empty home after school.

Upon arriving back at home, Kenney believes Christine found Calvin.

It was at this point that Calvin likely hung up her coat, which the family and police later discovered on a hook that was far too high for her to reach, Kenney said.

Before they left, Kenney believes Christine ran back into the house to get the recorder she had received at school that day, to show her father.

Kenney believes this was Christine’s way of mimicking her brother, who planned to bring the medals he’d won the night before during his victorious team’s baseball tournament.''

36 years later: Toronto Police identify man responsible for rape and murder of 9-year-old girl
''Police definitively made the match on Oct. 9.''

''Ramer said that a review of the original case files from the 1984 investigation found that Hoover’s name did come up as a person of interest.''

''He was never considered a suspect during the original investigation.''

Last edited:
How genetic genealogy helped find Christine Jessop's killer | Toronto Sun
''Last fall, investigators reached out to Texas-based Othram — a genetic laboratory that works exclusively with law enforcement to provide leads and identify subjects through DNA.

“We build a genealogical profile, depending on the investigative leads,” Othram CEO David Mittelman said.

“It’s an iterative process. It’s not a vending machine. We’re basically a support team for the cold case squad, and as they need information, we mine the data we have to try and produce information.”

In this case, detectives worked with Othram — using information submitted to the GEDmatch database — to develop two family trees.

From three, Code said, they were able to narrow down their focus to Hoover.

“Simply put, (genetic genealogy is) not a DNA match,” Code said.

“It provides a potential family lineage from a DNA sample.”

''While this wasn’t the first Canadian case Othram has participated on, it’s the first one where their work has been made public.

“This is technology that has not been available before,” Mittelman said.

“The real innovation is being able to lift information from such an old piece of evidence.

“It’s amazing.”

Ramer said that a review of the original case files from the 1984 investigation found that Hoover’s name did come up as a person of interest.

“He and his wife had a neighbour-acquaintance relationship with family,” Ramer said. “He may have worked with Jessop’s father.”

He was never considered a suspect during the original investigation.
36 years later: Toronto Police identify man responsible for rape and murder of 9-year-old girl

He noted that he didn't notice anything suspicious about Hoover when their families gathered.

Finding out that Hoover was the suspect, Ken said, "all the pieces fit together."

Before Jessop went missing, he said his mother made three calls, and one of them was to Hoover's wife to inform her that Jessop was having a tantrum because she was not allowed to see her father in jail.

"It had to be someone who knew my father was in jail and used the pickup line of I'm going to take you to see your father," Ken recalled.

Glad the Jessop family has finally found closure. I am glad for Ken Jessop, who while never an official suspect, had a cloud of suspicion follow him, considering he was 4 years older than Christine, and adopted. That caused many to point at him as the culprit. I also feel good for the Jessop family as well as Guy Paul Morin, who was falsely convinced, and spent time in prison for a crime he did not commit.

I first heard of this case in 1992, as it was on the CBC show "The Fifth Estate." Even then, it raised serious questions about Morin's conviction earlier in 1992. He had no criminal record, did not drink or do drugs, was a model citizen, and some of the evidence had been contaminated. If anyone ever gets the chance to read the book "Redrum: The Innocent," please do. It goes into great length about how the Ontario Police bungled the investigation from the beginning, and went after Morin, simply because they considered him "odd."

Yes, IMO this is quite the case for showing how easy it is for anyone to become convinced about someone's guilt, and yet to completely miss the actual killer, who was also living in the neighbourhood and slightly knew the family. I wonder whether they'll be anyone able to explain why he wasn't considered a suspect. Because he was married? Because he had a (false) alibi? Did he just seem like a really nice guy who who didn't fit any kind of child-killer profile? Or were the other suspects just apparently so obvious, the theories were laser focused and unable to consider other possibilities.
I think the police just got their focus on GPM and once he was exonerated too much time had past to focus on anyone else closely without some sort of history or smoking gun scenario.

Kirk Makin was on The Current on CBC radio this morning. He wrote the defining book on the case.

He is absolutely merciless to the police. He points out that we still need to know why Hoover was not a suspect initially, and after Morin’s exoneration.

He comes on somewhere after the 1:00 point.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-oct-16-2020-1.5764825

also in the article
Toronto police came across Calvin’s name in Jessop’s cold case file in 2015 following up with an interview, Kenney said.

It wasn’t long after, he said, that Calvin died by suicide.
Perhaps He knew they were closing in on him

In 2014 the Toronto police took over the case, and in 2015 the Toronto police put out a lot of articles talking about how they had a better chance of finding the suspect with new DNA techniques. I'm sure all of this got to much and the coward killed himself.

WOW....WOW
I was a young 20 something person when this horrific case happened. I lived quite close to where Christine's body was found.
I watched the Durham Region Police at the body site in those early days of 1985 from a friend's window that lived very close. It rattled everyone for miles around. I listened to the rumours and the gossip that circulated....I soaked in every tid bit of information....I read every book and article printed on this crime. I was haunted. This little girl was found in my little corner of the world...close to where I drove daily....close to where my dog ran.....close to my friends and neighbours.

Yesterday's news came as a HUGE surprise....I had lost hope that Christine's killer would ever be identified. As this news hit....my phone began to ping....many people that I am still in contact with from that small corner were buzzing with elation. A few were even relieved, because in those early days, they were heavily questioned by police.

I fell to my knees and cried.
I cried for the Jessop family and all the years they spent in torment.
I cried for Guy Paul Morin and the hardship he had to endure.
I cried for all of us that have, for 36 years, wondered if a killer walked among us.

I still have many questions that may never be answered but still today I feel relief that there does appear to be an end in sight to this horrible tragic event that devastated my little corner of the world.

WOW....WOW
I was a young 20 something person when this horrific case happened. I lived quite close to where Christine's body was found.
I watched the Durham Region Police at the body site in those early days of 1985 from a friend's window that lived very close. It rattled everyone for miles around. I listened to the rumours and the gossip that circulated....I soaked in every tid bit of information....I read every book and article printed on this crime. I was haunted. This little girl was found in my little corner of the world...close to where I drove daily....close to where my dog ran.....close to my friends and neighbours.

Yesterday's news came as a HUGE surprise....I had lost hope that Christine's killer would ever be identified. As this news hit....my phone began to ping....many people that I am still in contact with from that small corner were buzzing with elation. A few were even relieved, because in those early days, they were heavily questioned by police.

I cried for all of us that have, for 36 years, wondered if a killer walked among us.

I still have many questions that may never be answered but still today I feel relief that there does appear to be an end in sight to this horrible tragic event that devastated my little corner of the world.

It is terrible that so many people were affected by this unnecessary crime. Hopefully you and others can begin to heal and hopefully we can rescue other cold cases in similar predicaments.

In 2014 the Toronto police took over the case, and in 2015 the Toronto police put out a lot of articles talking about how they had a better chance of finding the suspect with new DNA techniques. I'm sure all of this got to much and the coward killed himself.

That well could be, J.

TPS said they were hoping to track the killer's movements over the years. Besides Christine's murder, I wonder if he is a suspect in others as well or in the disappearance of Nicole Morin? Hard to believe a crime as violent as Christine's was a one and done scenario.
Recently Windsor police "solved" two cold cases but would not name the killer(s) since they were deceased. I am amazed and thankful TPS released the killer's name in this case.
Thank you @othram for the important work you are doing.

WOW....WOW

Wow, I can understand that release of emotion, so many have invested a lifetime following CJ's case
and just glad that those In Sunderland have an answer.
Maybe it won't be such a dark corner anymore.

Kirk Makin was on The Current on CBC radio this morning. He wrote the defining book on the case.

He is absolutely merciless to the police. He points out that we still need to know why Hoover was not a suspect initially, and after Morin’s exoneration.

He comes on somewhere after the 1:00 point.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-oct-16-2020-1.5764825

MG: Had you ever heard the name Calvin Hoover? this is the man that police say killed Christine Jessop?

KM: It had a vague ring of familiarity and I guess it's because he came up in a very peripheral way as the husband of a friend of the Jessops.
And there was massive disclosure ultimately in this case and that would have included names like that.
But he was certainly not the target of any intensive scrutiny and so it was a shock in that sense.
It was a shock that it was him and it was a shock that he was not properly investigated.
It leaves many, many questions that have not been answered by one 20 minute police conference yesterday.

ETA

KM: ... Why was this man not a suspect? What was his alibi? ... Why were 100s of other people DNA tested in that reinvestigation but he apparently wasn't?

KM: ... and as for the Jessops, what do they think when they wake up today and think that a family friend did this and because of the incompetence of police they've been through three and a half decades of public scrutiny and private hell.

Last edited:

I think you're right. He knew his days were limited, although he did have another 5 years. He probably did not want to rot in prison as a violent pedophile and child murderer - especially murdering a friend's child.

It makes sense that this could have happened.

Christine comes home from the store, a husband of her father's work colleague is waiting for her to take her to see her father in jail. She willingly goes with him.

At that point in the 80's when people were childproofing their children, there was a "stranger danger" but children were still expected to respect adults and people in power.

This breaks my heart that she was taken advantage of in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4