Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idsinga knows the tremendous amount of speculation out there in the public relating to the possible involvement of at least one family member in particular in these murders. This speculation has been fueled and accelerated by media reports, and by KD's book, which outlines what some would term negative interactions between family members and Barry and Honey. Knowing this, and the tremendous amount of hurt that these rumours must be causing the family, why do you think Idsinga didn't simply state something like "at this time we have no evidence to link any members of the Sherman family to the murders"? Wouldn't this have been a direct way to deal with the issue, instead of obfuscating, and thereby allowing these rumours to persist, to the detriment of the family?
That would be the older way of doing things, but just from my observations of policing these days, it seems investigators never reveal who is under suspicion and who is not. IMO they don't want killers at large to know anything about who they suspect, it's a strategy of never announcing what cards you have in your hand.

We saw yesterday, how a guy who was never a suspect, committed the Christine Jessop murder. IMO, until someone is (rightfully) convicted, police can never officially state that anyone is 'cleared'.

And I think part of the strategy of the media is to try to goad LE into making statements like that, it produces front page stories. Whereas, IMO, police aren't and don't want to turn into puppets of the media circus, as they sometimes seem to be in the US.

Considering the Christine J. murder was recently solved via dna/genealogy, as mentioned up-thread, maybe LE are presently doing the same thing in this case? speculation, imo.
Do they have DNA evidence? I've not encountered indications that LE've been collecting DNA samples from a wide range of people. For example, I don't recall KW saying that LE had collected a DNA sample from him.

Would be great if they do have it.

Considering the Christine J. murder was recently solved via dna/genealogy, as mentioned up-thread, maybe LE are presently doing the same thing in this case? speculation, imo.
That's presuming it was treated as a crime scene and DNA collected. As I recall, it was originally presumed a murder/suicide and the scene was compromised for days.

That's presuming it was treated as a crime scene and DNA collected. As I recall, it was originally presumed a murder/suicide and the scene was compromised for days.

I can’t imagine even one reason why it’d take almost 6 weeks for TPS to process a murder/suicide crime scene. Can you?

You will recall it was Sherman family members who first insisted this was a double murder, not murder/suicide and hired a PI team to conduct a parallel investigation, who publicly criticized some of the police work early on. Wouldn’t it be totally ridiculous, two years later, for Idsinga to announce the Sherman family members had been cleared?

no, why? why not help the family and dispel these rumours?

In addition, afaik there is no evidence that confirms that all family members supported the hiring of Greenspan.

You will recall it was Sherman family members who first insisted this was a double murder, not murder/suicide and hired a PI team to conduct a parallel investigation, who publicly criticized some of the police work early on. Wouldn’t it be totally ridiculous, two years later, for Idsinga to announce the Sherman family members had been cleared?

no, why? why not help the family and dispel these rumours?

In addition, afaik there is no evidence that all family members actually supported the hiring of Greenspan and the team of PI’s.

Do they have DNA evidence? I've not encountered indications that LE've been collecting DNA samples from a wide range of people. For example, I don't recall KW saying that LE had collected a DNA sample from him.

Would be great if they do have it.[/

wasn’t it also the case that the PI team claimed they had discovered hair (DNA) and fibre evidence that LE had missed collecting despite having control of the house for many weeks?

Last edited:
Maybe but I’ve never heard of investigators up on the roof of a home and combing through sewers to prove murder/suicide.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sherman-investigation-update-1.4464062

Fair enough, but why would police not even bother to walk across the street to collect a surveillance video that included the Sherman’s property that a neighbour Went out of their way ( at least twice or three times) to tell them they had if the police actually thought they were investigating a murder? Especially risking loss of the video as it recorded over itself after 7 days?
I don’t think it is Unreasonable to conclude, as many people do, based on LE’ actions, words, and inactions, that LE focused on a m/s, at least in the early part of the investigation. Of course they will never admit it.

Fair enough, but why would police not even bother to walk across the street to collect a surveillance video that included the Sherman’s property that a neighbour Went out of their way ( at least twice or three times) to tell them they had if the police actually thought they were investigating a murder? Especially risking loss of the video as it recorded over itself after 7 days?
I don’t think it is Unreasonable to conclude, as many people do, based on LE’ actions, words, and inactions, that LE focused on a m/s, at least in the early part of the investigation. Of course they will never admit it.

Do you have a link for that? I don’t recall the neighbour complaining police would not bother to walk across the street. The original interview was with CTV but I’m unable to locate it. All I vaguely recall is investigators were canvassing for video early on in a certain area and an interview with a gentleman regarding a 911 call.

Do you have a link for that? I don’t recall the neighbour complaining police would not bother to walk across the street. The original interview was with CTV but I’m unable to locate it. All I vaguely recall is investigators were canvassing for video early on in a certain area and an interview with a gentleman regarding a 911 call.

in fact from what I recall the neighbours personally had to go to the police station to ask the police, again, to come and get the video, as they were leaving town I believe on the weekend. I will look for a reference.

A new, hidden clue in Barry and Honey Shermans' vanishing murder case - Macleans.ca
By Anne Kingston March 14, 2019
''In its reporting on the bid to knock down the house, CTV stumbled upon what could be that very thing—a previously unreported, potentially key piece of evidence. In canvassing the neighbourhood for reaction, a reporter interviewed a woman who chose not to appear on camera or make her name public. She revealed that she handed over surveillance video to police that showed a car sitting in the Shermans’ driveway on Dec. 14, a day before the bodies were found and a day after the couple was last reported seen alive. In it, a man was seen “sometimes sitting in his car for up to 15 minutes, then going inside” the house.
The fluke disclosure is a reminder that the Toronto Police Service has more evidence than the public knows—and also that the police don’t share evidence with the public.''

10/3 podcast: Fight to keep Barry and Honey Sherman's inheritance files secret goes to Supreme Court | National Post
Oct 18, 2020
''The fight over the couple’s estate files has hit the Supreme Court this week.

National Post crime reporter Adrian Humphreys joins Dave to talk about how an inheritance proceeding wound up at Canada’s highest court, why the family is fighting to have these records kept private and what the legal implications of this case could be.''

Excellent podcast, a clear and concise summary.

I’ll listen to it later. Thanks.

Do they say if Honey actually had a will?

Also do they mention Barry’s second will for non-probate assets?

No, it was stated to be quite unusual that reporters weren’t notified of the initial request to seal hearing so from that I take it no details of the estate files are known publicly. No mention of non-probate wills at all.

The main emphasis of future implications regards personal privacy and confidentiality versus open court. With that the potential of this case to more or less turn it upside down - all court files sealed and only released through judicial order. That was my take on it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam