Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
These 10 states reported their highest number of new coronavirus cases on Friday
From CNN's Chuck Johnston

On Friday, at least ten states reported their highest coronavirus case totals since the pandemic began, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Here's a look at the states' cases, according to Johns Hopkins University:

• Colorado reported 1,312 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,142 cases on Thursday.
  • Idaho reported 1,094 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 729 cases on July 15.
  • Indiana reported 2,283 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,943 cases on Thursday.
  • Minnesota reported 2,290 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,516 on Oct. 10.
  • New Mexico reported 812 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 668 on Thursday.
  • North Carolina reported 2,684 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 2,532 on Thursday.
  • North Dakota reported 864 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 706 on Thursday.
  • West Virginia reported 502 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 374 on Oct. 9.
  • Wisconsin reported 3,861 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 3,747 on Thursday.
  • Wyoming reported 290 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 243 on Oct. 9.

MOO

As expected in a pandemic, it first goes to

#1 - Elderly who cannot distance e.g. Wuhan/etc -->same thing in US and other countries as elderly hit with high death rates

#2 - Those who live in high density e.g. prisons etc. --> e.g. the most populous cities as Wuhan, NYC etc

#3 - households that are isolating e.g. stay at home orders
#4 - letting the youngers out, then back we go e.g. back to school for kids/young adults at college

#5 - Getting traction in rural communities who live far away from each other vs. like in Wuhan and NYC... then Florida etc.. who lived on top of each other and socialized day to day closely. e.g. what is happening now in some mid west states that though they might be getting a pass as rural?

Now in rural spreading... just like a pandemic model would expect as to hierarchy? Overlapping with the second wave in high density populations.

MOO

ETA: Forgot to lump in the large gatherings due to political.. but I'll refrain from such here right now as most here understand such without a link.

Last edited:
Not so good, but holding steady in South Carolina.

DHEC: 810 new COVID-19 cases, 22 more deaths announced in SC

156,655 confirmed positive cases (+810)
3,427 confirmed deaths (+22)
Percent Positive - 11.4%

Hospitalization Update
"As of Saturday morning, DHEC says 84.17% of inpatient beds in South Carolina are in use while 73.52% of ICU beds are in use.

There are 759 hospitalized patients who have tested positive for COVID-19 or are under investigation for having the virus, DHEC said. Of those, 205 COVID-19 patients are in the ICU.

DHEC is reporting 1,563 ventilators available in the state with 465 of them in use. COVID-19 patients account for 103 of those."

Broncos coach tests positive for COVID-19 as Patriots reopen facility
More at link
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. —

The Denver Broncos announced that one of their position coaches has tested positive for COVID-19 ahead of their game against the New England Patriots on Sunday.

The Broncos said they learned that running backs coach Curtis Modkins tested positive for the coronavirus early Saturday morning, and that he will not accompany the team to New England for the game.

Thinking more about this... Protestors were outside and moving, while rally participants were seated next to other individuals for an extended time period. Some protestors did wear masks. Many at the rallies did not. If you look at the Bemidji rally photos, there are many, many maskless people. This may be the difference.
Yes but 16 out of thousands is very low and masks were given out as always. Here's a link that has photos and estimates 2,500 at the rally, so 16 is less than 1% and than the protesters. Also masks are not required outdoors it states in the article.

How Many Attended Trump’s Minnesota Rally? Bemidji Crowd Photos | Heavy.com

(The protesters looked like they stood lining the street, as shown in the next post where I have posted a link.)

Last edited:
From original post: Isn’t it curious that we never saw any positive cases among the protestors and rioters in late May and June? ... Truly fascinating how that works.

?? Very unclear, why this is coming up now.... we discussed this extensively when demonstrations were heaviest. I was at one demonstration, and would never consider NOT wearing a mask. Everyone I saw at the demonstration wore masks. Everyone.

It was a mask wearing issue.....EVEN for criminal looters!!!

In Buckley Park, you would have to look hard to find one BLM protester without a mask.

DeWine, Husted address large Trump rally and lack of masks

D.C. Police Charged Demonstrators With Wearing Masks Even Though Coronavirus Guidelines Require Them

Letters: Protesters should be wearing masks
If you follow the posts back you will see it came up because of some positive cases from protesters at a rally. They were not BLM protesters AFAIK but I could be wrong. Also, protesters tend to yell, shout and scream and often remove their masks, much like rally attendees, but protesters also often shout and scream into loudhailers without masks from what I have seen.

I have a link with a pic of the 400 protesters and they have got masks but as we know, masks don't fully protect and they are standing close together. Anyway, 4 ( out of 400) of them caught coronavirus - 1%. That is why it was posted originally.

Hundreds rally for Indivisible Bemidji protest | Bemidji Pioneer

Last edited:
Yes it is. TBH, in this example, why would you attend a rally to protest it and risk catching Covid anyway? Just don't go.

Acknowledging we disagree...
It makes me uncomfortable that anyone would suggest that people refrain from protesting and expressing their view about any issue
I value that right

My view

Acknowledging we disagree...
It makes me uncomfortable that anyone would suggest that people refrain from protesting and expressing their view about any issue
I value that right

My view

No problem. It is a risk both attending a rally or a protest, but I agree both are a right. Personally, I would not attend either, even with a mask, because of that risk so I am wondering why. I did not mean to suggest refraining from attending. It was just friendly advice not to go to avoid that risk. MOO.

No problem. It is a risk both attending a rally or a protest, but I agree both are a right. Personally, I would not attend either, even with a mask, because of that risk so I am wondering why. I did not mean to suggest refraining from attending. It was just friendly advice not to go to avoid that risk. MOO.

We agree:)

:eek:

CASES IN LAST 7 DAYS (US)

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

And deaths crossed 1,000 per day again.

So given the trajectory we are now on, with +70,000 new cases per day, we will add nearly half a million cases this coming week. And more the week after that.

How is our medical system supposed to cope with this???

Last edited:
:confused:

Queues in China for experimental Covid-19 vaccine

The cost is $60 (£45).

As it happened: More than half of England under extra coronavirus rules - BBC News

Summary
  1. Millions of people in England are now living under tighter Covid restrictions
  2. Lancashire joins the Liverpool City Region in the highest alert category
  3. London, York and Essex are among the places that are now in the second highest category
  4. Greater Manchester's mayor denies Downing Street's claim that talks have been arranged to resolve a row over restrictions in the area
  5. Both Belgium and Austria's foreign ministers test positive for coronavirus - days after attending talks with other EU foreign ministers
  6. A month-long night curfew begins in Paris and other French cities
  7. Israel is to ease its second nationwide lockdown after cases decline
  8. More than 39.4 million cases have been confirmed worldwide globally with more than 1.1 million deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University

Last edited:
Sometimes I like to revisit a subject because I missed the first timely discussion. Sometime I’ve been thinking about an issue and I want to run things by someone who ‘cares about Covid’. And there are times it seems timely to me since we haven’t mastered the most basic things. But mostly it’s to relieve anxiety I guess with a group of knowledgable like-minded people. I never think we can’t discuss this now because we already discussed it.

Eastern Tennessee nursing home reports 17 deaths

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Sixteen residents and one staff member have died due to a COVID-19 outbreak at a nursing home in eastern Tennessee.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reports that more than two-fifths of The Heritage Center’s residents have tested positive for the new coronavirus. Meanwhile, a fourth of the residents who have tested positive have died.

“We mourn the loss of these residents and associates,” said Executive Director Scott Hunt in a statement Friday. “They were part of our family, and their passing has left a hole in our heart.”

Sometimes I like to revisit a subject because I missed the first timely discussion. Sometime I’ve been thinking about an issue and I want to run things by someone who ‘cares about Covid’. And there are times it seems timely to me since we haven’t mastered the most basic things. But mostly it’s to relieve anxiety I guess with a group of knowledgable like-minded people. I never think we can’t discuss this now because we already discussed it.
Agree plus things are changing almost daily. Covid was new in the early threads and we've learned an enormous amount of information since then.

:eek:

CASES IN LAST 7 DAYS (US)

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

And deaths crossed 1,000 per day again.

So given the trajectory we are now on, with +70,000 new cases per day, we will add nearly half a million cases this coming week. And more the week after that.

How is our medical system supposed to cope with this???

This is a really good question, especially since the huge increases have happened in states that have less medical infrastructure (as well as some that have plenty of hospitals - but can they manage the increase??)

Florida has already exceeded its high new case number of yesterday. Deaths in Florida are 2X what IMHE projected for today. Hospitals appear to be at about ⅔-¾ capacity for ICU beds.

It's states like Oklahoma that may struggle more because their per capita rate of cases is higher than Florida's. Yesterday, Oklahoma had ~1500 new cases and today, ~1200. Population in OK is ⅕ that of Florida, so that would be like FL having 7500 cases in one day!!!

OK's projected deaths for today is 6 (they have 14 - so more than twice the projection). There are, however, enough ICU beds to handle the old projected number until around Christmas - but if nothing is done to mitigate the situation, by Jan 1, OK will be out of ICU beds.

Georgia's per capita death and case rates appear to exceed Florida's.

72,000 new cases for the US yesterday - and deaths continue to plateau at around 1000 per day or perhaps 950 on a 2 week rolling average.

We have months to go before this is over, with a projected increase in deaths starting next week and going up through February...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk