Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow... at first it sounded funny!! But its not.

masks, for sure, but other things as well... local state federal guidance, new tests, where to get tests, new symptoms, supplements to consider, A plethora of new information and guidance. And ever changing. Read the recently posted New England Journal of Medicine article above... additional something elses.
Yeah I read that the other day when it was new news but you mentioned new info in June. What was that?

California contained COVID-19 as other states spiked. Here's how.

Eight months into the coronavirus pandemic, California has become a rare case: a state that has contained the transmission of COVID-19 and isn’t experiencing another surge — yet, at least.

Nationwide, daily infections are up one-quarter in the last two weeks, and the country just reported its most in a single day since July. Lightly populated North Dakota is seeing 85 new cases a day per 100,000 residents over the last two weeks. California? Ten new cases per 100,000, up just 2 percent in two weeks.

The reasons why, health experts say, are made clear by a stroll through San Francisco. Pedestrians are masked and passing each other at acceptable social distances. Painted circles partition off small groups at one of the city’s most popular parks. Posters stapled to signposts once hawked live music; now, they advertise masks.

In the spring, it was California shaking off its shutdown, then suffering from a surge in June. But the state learned lessons from its own initial attempt to reopen, which propelled it to the height of its infection rate about six weeks later.

Now Gov. Gavin Newsom and state health officials have implemented a reopening system that health experts say is working.

This is exciting!

Johns Hopkins Researchers Identify Immune System Pathway That May Stop COVID-19 Infection

Scientists already know that spike proteins on the surface of the SARS-CoV-2 virus — making the pathogen look like the spiny ball from a medieval mace — are the means by which it attaches to cells targeted for infection. To do this, the spikes first grab hold of heparan sulfate, a large, complex sugar molecule found on the surface of cells in the lungs, blood vessels and smooth muscle making up most organs. Facilitated by its initial binding with heparan sulfate, SARS-CoV-2 then uses another cell-surface component, the protein known as angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), as its doorway into the attacked cell.

The Johns Hopkins Medicine team discovered that when SARS-CoV-2 ties up heparan sulfate, it prevents factor H from using the sugar molecule to bind with cells. Factor H’s normal function is to regulate the chemical signals that trigger inflammation and keep the immune system from harming healthy cells. Without this protection, cells in the lungs, heart, kidneys and other organs can be destroyed by the defense mechanism nature intended to safeguard them.

Making the discovery even more exciting is that there may already be drugs in development and testing for other diseases that can do the required blocking.

Sweden is moving away from its no-lockdown strategy and preparing strict new rules amid rising coronavirus cases

Sweden will shift away from its early coronavirus strategy of opting against lockdown measures and instead embrace restrictive measures adopted by most of its neighbors amid growing case numbers in the country.

Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, is set to meet with local health officials next week to discuss which measures to put into place in response to outbreaks in the capital Stockholm and nearby city Uppsala, The Telegraph newspaper reported.

Yet Sweden is now much lower than the U.S. on the Deaths Per Million table at Worldometers.Com. We passed Sweden in that category over a month ago, and have continued climbing. The rise in cases they're currently experiencing is far less than ours on a per capita basis.

Yet Sweden is now much lower than the U.S. on the Deaths Per Million table at Worldometers.Com. We passed Sweden in that category over a month ago, and have continued climbing. The rise in cases they're currently experiencing is far less than ours on a per capita basis.
"The rise in cases they're currently experiencing is far less than ours on a per capita basis."

And it looks like they are trying to keep it that way by keeping the horses firmly inside that barn.

Courtesy of Worldometers.Com, here are the 7 World Countries with Populations Over 200 Million, followed by their current Covid Deaths Per Million.

1. China (3)
2. India (83)
3. U.S. (677)
4. Indonesia (46)
5. Pakistan (30)
6. Brazil (722)
7. Nigeria (5)

When my aunt died last year, she had CHF and was a diabetic. Both were under control and she was not in hospice.
She got the flu from her home health aide and it was counted as a flu death. The flu caused the calvacade of health issues which she did not have prior to the flu.
Something to add to my list to ask the nurse or coding.

I'm so sorry to hear of your aunt's passing, but I think that might be different from what my sister was explaining to me. I think (I'll have to ask again) that when a doctor admits a patient to Hospice, it's with a terminal diagnosis and that goes on the person's main cause of death. Then, something else might put them over the top but there was still the condition they were dying of.

I found this and it's not exactly what my sister was talking about, but I think it's along the same lines:

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined."

IDPH Director explains how Covid deaths are classified

Covid in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

By The New York TimesUpdated October 18, 2020, 2:11 P.M. E.T.

New cases
7-day average
TOTAL REPORTED ON OCT. 17 14-DAY CHANGE
Cases 8.1 million 52,774 +28%
Deaths 219,428 679 +1%
Day with data reporting anomaly.

Includes confirmed and probable cases where available. 14-day change trends use 7-day averages.

Last edited:
And here goes TX. Again.

El Paso Area Sees Largest Number Of COVID-19 Hospitalizations Since Pandemic Began

EL PASO, Texas (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — The El Paso, Texas area has reported its highest number of hospitalizations due to the coronavirus since the pandemic began, officials said on Sunday.

A record high 449 hospitalizations were reported for Saturday, with 129 of those patients in intensive care, according to El Paso health officials.

In the El Paso area, only seven ICU beds are available, according to the Texas Department of Health and Human Services.

Hospitalizations have been steadily increasing in the El Paso area since early September.

Since Oct. 1, the number of people hospitalized because of COVID-19 has risen 34% in Texas after the state relaxed restrictions in mid-September, citing a decrease in hospitalizations.

I think the problem lies (and has since the beginning) in the idea of "insisting." Since there was so much conflicting be thrown around early on, strong suggestions to wear masks, rather than mandates, would like have been more successful, JMOO.

We're still having large conflicts in information and in things like whether the death toll is accurate, inflated, or under-reported. I think it's going to be years before researchers are able to sort all of this out.

For example, my sister is a national Hospice nurse and she explained that many Hospice patients are being counted as Covid deaths--and most of the time they did test positive for Covid--but normally whatever put them on Hospice care to begin with would be counted. Such as CHF. Someone with advanced CHF would likely succumb to the flu, but the flu did not start the "chain of events" so (in normal times), the person would still be counted as a death from CHF. It's different now, because even if the person has CHF but tests positive for Covid, they will be counted as a Covid death.

Keep in mind that high number of Hospice patients have died and tested positive for Covid. But also remember that if they tested positive for the virus, they did not receive any treatment for it. When they entered Hospice, they agreed to only palliative care.

Because of that, I can see researchers in the next few years going back and changing the count based on the what started the "chain of events" as is the common way of recording the deaths of Hospice patients.

You bring up a few interesting topics.
Where i live, all the stores and corporations mandate masks, but my county does not. Should I be angry with the corps or the county?

To me, the mask is the great equalizer....everyone pulling their weight for the common good, when it is the first line of defense to prevent shutdowns.

I agree that there are difficulties with multiple conditions that result in death, and their have been some good articles out there about the issue. Should Covid be first cause of death? or second? or Last? It is a difficult decision for clear data. But there are loads of people who live with CHF, or Diabetes or whatever for years.... If you lived a normal life with medication for CHF, would you want CHF to be your actual cause of death??

If I were really sent to Hospice (so many issues with Hospice), who determined that there was nothing else that could be done? too tough to handle here ethically!!

But Florida was HIDING Covid deaths on death certificates earlier, so there are other reasons to doubt the numbers. We, here, just hope they will be calculated correctly eventually.

Blocked data from Florida's Medical Examiners expose early COVID-19 failures

That's strange. Thanks, I'm going to have to go back and review as I thought the mortality reductions wasn't affected, but all the trials are showing reduction from average of 15 to 11 or 10 days in decreased hospital stay. I'll have to drill down later to the original articles/studies but I just read them in the last day or two.

It's the Solidarity Trial conducted by the WHO. I've linked directly to the results on the WHO website.

"The Solidarity Trial published interim results on 15 October 2020. It found that all 4 treatments evaluated (remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, lopinavir/ritonavir and interferon) had little or no effect on overall mortality, initiation of ventilation and duration of hospital stay in hospitalized patients.

The Solidarity Trial is considering evaluating other treatments, to continue the search for effective COVID-19 therapeutics.

So far, only corticosteroids have been proven effective against severe and critical COVID-19."

“Solidarity” clinical trial for COVID-19 treatments

OK, I see my brain block. I was confusing studies. Thank you for taking the time and effort.

I went back and I see how this was in my mind as the October trial in the NEJM disagreed and was covered in Update 113 of Dr. Seheultz and confirmed an even earlier study that had shown back in May a reduction in hosiptal stay from 15 to 11 days and in the new one showed reduction in hospital stay from 15 to 10 days. Perhaps I'll relisten to Dr. Seheult to see why the difference and the WHO doesn't say that timeframe is statistically significant???

Here is the October 8th NEJM study which references the earlier one also that I spoke about in post #104 (Guess it stuck in my mind)

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764

Time to Recovery According to Subgroup.Patients in the remdesivir group had a shorter time to recovery than patients in the placebo group (median, 10 days, as compared with 15 days; rate ratio for recovery, 1.29; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.12 to 1.49; P<0.001)

I'm gonna relisten to the video again and reread at the actual paper vs. summary Repurposed antiviral drugs for COVID-19; interim WHO SOLIDARITY trial results - but yeah, WHO I think "saw" the reduction but perhaps wasn't statistically significant in their findings? I'm going to review the comments also.

Off to the store for my trunk grocery pickup! Thanks again.

I'm so sorry to hear of your aunt's passing, but I think that might be different from what my sister was explaining to me. I think (I'll have to ask again) that when a doctor admits a patient to Hospice, it's with a terminal diagnosis and that goes on the person's main cause of death. Then, something else might put them over the top but there was still the condition they were dying of.

I found this and it's not exactly what my sister was talking about, but I think it's along the same lines:

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined."

IDPH Director explains how Covid deaths are classified
She was a feisty lady and we were thankful she was able to see her children before she passed. We did not see her much due to distance but we have fond memories.

Thank for highlighting the hospice classification regarding Covid deaths. The underlying condition for which they were admitted to hospice care would not be listed as COD. Interesting.

Thanks for the nejm article.

Do you know at what level of severity one is given the monoclonal antibodies? Is the number of recipients still really low? I am just wondering when we are going to get more definitive information regarding this therapy.

monoclonal antibodies (it's like getting convalescent plasma)

Early, to knock down the viral load as what is killing folks is when the virus screws up the pathway. This was a good read MOO within below post earlier

An excellent read MOO on management protocol/critical care treatment cascade that Dr. Campbell reviewed in his video. Here is the original link to such for those that interested. It's 30 pages of treatment progressions for different stages and is eye opening how far we have come, and how so much else is behind the scenes.

Just one snapshot from one University Hospital at Virginia Medical School - I'm bookmarking! If nothing else, a print out if I/you ever need... although I'm pretty much a hermit these days.

Here is just one screenshot as there are lots of visuals, and expectedly points out that the virus effects to the immune dysregulation is what is the killer... and really escalates at day 14-28.

trmtapproach.JPG

Source: from link below

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_pub...cine/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol.pdf

Wonderful article....... so well written, with so much nice homestyle information about the thrills and joys that Sturgis (ebm) brings to people. I never knew!

I can see why the town was in a total Catch-22, with so many residents wanting it cancelled, but others depending on their money coming in...

And clearly, the US lacking masks and contact tracing that could've and should' ve made a big difference. They will never be able to trace the real numbers.

But the last words of the guy who went were pretty powerful as well.

But sitting here just the past few days, that’s all I keep thinking about. I’m like, Jesus, look at the hell I’m going through, the hell I put everybody through. It ain’t worth it. It wasn’t. It really wasn’t.”

How the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally may have spread coronavirus across the Upper Midwest

Last edited:
Folks
There are lots of alerts coming in from this thread and it is at risk of being closed. Please stop the baiting, bickering, and inciting conflict or there is a good chance a thread ban will be issued to those who choose to ignore this admonition.
Thanks...

Australia's leadership were also adversarial with WHO and requested an investigation which is in progress. So it is not as simple as that IMO. Mexico also signed up to that plan and have been severely affected by Covid too.

The response does not fit the comment that was responded to. IMO

Australia is not - and has never been - adversarial inside its borders. Australia is cooperative inside its borders. Our leadership has been strong, decisive, and protective.

As stated before, we sit on the board of WHO. But we listen to our own health experts about everything. As should every first world country.

WHO is there primarily to guide under-developed countries, to give advice, to get vaccines delivered to them. It is not there to tell UK, Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, France, etc etc how to deal with a pandemic.

In my opinion, it is time to stop pointing the finger at WHO for first world country failures in health.

Last edited:
Wonderful article....... so well written, with so much nice homestyle information about the thrills and joys that Sturgess brings to people. I never knew!

I can see why the town was in a total Catch-22, with so many residents wanting it cancelled, but others depending on their money coming in...

And clearly, the US lacking masks and contact tracing that could've and should' ve made a big difference. They will never be able to trace the real numbers.

But the last words of the guy who went were pretty powerful as well.

But sitting here just the past few days, that’s all I keep thinking about. I’m like, Jesus, look at the hell I’m going through, the hell I put everybody through. It ain’t worth it. It wasn’t. It really wasn’t.”
Sturgis is, hands down, the best large festival I've ever attended. I didn't go this year, for obvious reasons, but I can understand why some folks were so tempted and couldn't resist going. It is a wonderful event.

But, like the gentleman in the article found out - it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmalan