Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" & "Mostly Harmless", Jul 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m late to the party here on websleuths but I’m from the Glens Falls/Lake George area and around the same age as MH. I don’t know how much the MP photos show, but If anyone has images of his face in the PM photos and could send them to me either cropped or uncropped, I don’t care, I would be grateful. I am thinking that if he is the possible person I’m thinking of, he had an eating disorder back when I was hanging out with an overlapping group of ours (late ‘90’s and very early 2000’s). It’s very hard to tell given time and his looking much healthier in early photos. I can’t find this person on social media. I have had some contact with Collier County Sheriff’s Office, but I can’t be certain and would like to put my mind at ease. I have zero knowledge of his family members.
Just sent you a private message.

I’m late to the party here on websleuths but I’m from the Glens Falls/Lake George area and around the same age as MH. I don’t know how much the MP photos show, but If anyone has images of his face in the PM photos and could send them to me either cropped or uncropped, I don’t care, I would be grateful. I am thinking that if he is the possible person I’m thinking of, he had an eating disorder back when I was hanging out with an overlapping group of ours (late ‘90’s and very early 2000’s). It’s very hard to tell given time and his looking much healthier in early photos. I can’t find this person on social media. I have had some contact with Collier County Sheriff’s Office, but I can’t be certain and would like to put my mind at ease. I have zero knowledge of his family members.
Wow, keep us posted. He looks a lot different in the post mortem photos because of the starvation. What do you think of the photos taken on the trail?

Its not a party a man died and people are trying to identify him.

Wow, keep us posted. He looks a lot different in the post mortem photos because of the starvation. What do you think of the photos taken on the trail?
That’s the thing. He has those really intense eyes which immediately reminded me of this guy. Overall they look similar, but like I said, it’s been a long time and he wasn’t as physically healthy looking as MH was in the earlier trail pics. I have found someone on FB that I’m pretty sure is a girl that knew him around that time (better than I did). I messaged her to see if she is the same person and if so I’ll go from there and see if she knows what ever happened to him.

That’s the thing. He has those really intense eyes which immediately reminded me of this guy. Overall they look similar, but like I said, it’s been a long time and he wasn’t as physically healthy looking as MH was in the earlier trail pics. I have found someone on FB that I’m pretty sure is a girl that knew him around that time (better than I did). I messaged her to see if she is the same person and if so I’ll go from there and see if she knows what ever happened to him.

Does any of the other stuff line up? Possibly being from Baton Rogue, IT background, etc?

I believe he told another hiker or hostel owner that he had been “body heavy” before he began hiking. Some have thought it meant he was carrying too much heavy hiking equipment. I’ve always thought he meant he physically weighed more.

Do you remember if the person you’re thinking of was a heavy person?

To me he looks to be in his mid-30s, which would mean he would've been a child in the late 90s/early 00s. I really, really doubt he is much older than 38/39.

My personal opinion is that we are looking for someone who is perhaps on the autistic spectrum (i.e aspergers) with history of mental health issues such as hypochondria, paranoia, anxiety etc. and who probably wasn't very social. I've long felt based on the information provided that he began the hike as a means to lose weight. The obsession over calculating distances and monitoring calorie intake is something I've unfortunately experienced with a male family member who also fits the above criteria.

To me he looks to be in his mid-30s, which would mean he would've been a child in the late 90s/early 00s. I really, really doubt he is much older than 38/39.

My personal opinion is that we are looking for someone who is perhaps on the autistic spectrum (i.e aspergers) with history of mental health issues such as hypochondria, paranoia, anxiety etc. and who probably wasn't very social. I've long felt based on the information provided that he began the hike as a means to lose weight. The obsession over calculating distances and monitoring calorie intake is something I've unfortunately experienced with a male family member who also fits the above criteria.
If he's 38, he would have turned 18 around 2000, and 21 around 2003.

Your suggestion regarding a possible preoccupation with weight is interesting, and also fits with @nobanzi 's description of her friend.

I am only 32, but it put me at 12 in 2000. He would have been more like a preteen and teen in those times. For perspective, I started high school in 2002, and was driving by 2004. Heck, I even did army basic training in 2005 when i was 17.

Reading nobanzi’s context clues, I would guess he was driving by the time they knew each other. “Hanging in different circles” usually doesn’t apply to kids. To me, this says that people were arriving and leaving, probably with a car involved. Kids would be more like “went to same school/daycare/rode bus/church” (etc)

PLUS, she mentioned his eating disorder (doubt this was as a child) and how she thought she may have recognized him (presumably as an adult).

I would take the guess he was between at least 16-21 (or older) in the year 2000, putting him around 38-45.

(all this is my guess and speculation)

I have a feeling his identity won’t be made public even if they manage to find some close family, but I suppose that might be what he would want since he was so secretive about his name and stuff.

Why do you guys think he didn’t write anything as a goodbye note in his last days? IMO I think most people would do that but maybe he still didn’t realise he was really unwell and I guess it fits with the whole mysterious identity as well.

I was thinking of his dental work, is there not like a dentists association in the US where all dentists have to be members? Seems like that would have been a good route to take to send out his dental records?

I have a feeling his identity won’t be made public even if they manage to find some close family, but I suppose that might be what he would want since he was so secretive about his name and stuff.

RSBM

I was thinking of his dental work, is there not like a dentists association in the US where all dentists have to be members? Seems like that would have been a good route to take to send out his dental records?

Re: dental work -- as a very durable human identifier, I'm sure that LE has a way to do this reliably. Unfortunately for us, Denim reportedly had perfect teeth -- no dental work.

JMHO YMMV LRR

Re: dental work -- as a very durable human identifier, I'm sure that LE has a way to do this reliably. Unfortunately for us, Denim reportedly had perfect teeth -- no dental work.

JMHO YMMV LRR

Hmm, I’m sure I read somewhere he had had work done that was expensive stuff, but seems impossible to find now :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123