Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

I don't think the past tense is incorrect as the home was for sale and transferred to a trust. Earlier she also said he "works for United" (present tense). It's kind of hard to draw conclusions from the soundbites used in these types of stories without their full context.
I don’t disagree with much of what you said but need to correct a few things.
1. He did still live in Elmhurst. He had not moved out.
2. The home was transferred to a trust AFTER he dissapeared.

I’m not 100% she said lived or lives but the story producers typed her comments out as “lived”. I’m assuming the comments were from the 911 call. I’m not drawing conclusions... but people do it all the time. Police do look at tense and so do FBI. Going further with this line, she stated she arrived at the home around 11:30 , what did she do at the house for so long before she called LE? She was there for 1:10 hr before call.

Also interesting to me there was no mention of a supposed golf outing. Still missing details. In my mind, he could still be in the preserve or he’s gone “off grid”. Going off grid means to me that there could be info that others know or even others may have helped him. So I keep an open mind as to “who” that may be.

I’m also not ruling out foul play. In any world where one has multiple gf’s that is sure to create possible “conflict”. Not saying they would be the source of foul play at all.

Then we have the wildcard investigation..

https://www.crimeonline.com/2020/10/13/something-is-absolutely-not-right-police-release-911-call-reporting-united-airlines-exec-jake-cefolia-
Parts are BBM...

NBC 5 Chicago reviewed audio of a 911 call made by Cefolia’s ex-wife on the afternoon of August 8, a Saturday, in which she told a dispatcher she was concerned about Jake.

Following an interview with Elmhurst Police Chief Michael Ruth, CrimeOnline first reported that Jake Cefolia was the subject of a criminal investigation that began before his disappearance. The police chief could not publicly comment on the nature of the investigation, and authorities have not confirmed whether they believe Cefolia left on his own.

As the NBC News report notes, Kristine Cefolia had gone to her ex-husband home’s on August 8 to look for him before she reported him missing. While there, she saw a note on the door that had been left by one of Jake’s co-workers. That co-worker has not responded to multiple requests for comment from CrimeOnline.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2020/10/13/something-is-absolutely-not-right-police-release-911-call-reporting-united-airlines-exec-jake-cefolia-
Parts are BBM...

NBC 5 Chicago reviewed audio of a 911 call made by Cefolia’s ex-wife on the afternoon of August 8, a Saturday, in which she told a dispatcher she was concerned about Jake.

Following an interview with Elmhurst Police Chief Michael Ruth, CrimeOnline first reported that Jake Cefolia was the subject of a criminal investigation that began before his disappearance. The police chief could not publicly comment on the nature of the investigation, and authorities have not confirmed whether they believe Cefolia left on his own.

As the NBC News report notes, Kristine Cefolia had gone to her ex-husband home’s on August 8 to look for him before she reported him missing. While there, she saw a note on the door that had been left by one of Jake’s co-workers. That co-worker has not responded to multiple requests for comment from CrimeOnline.[/QUOTE]

RBBM

Hmmmm.

JMVHO.

I don't blame the coworker for not responding to media requests. However, Elmhurst PD should make a statement if they have ruled the coworker out any possible involvement in Jakes disappearance.

This is not meant to criticize the person who named this thread, but If Jake saw it, he might be a bit miffed at the title. I’m not a serious runner, but I know there’s a difference between “jogging” and serious running. Based on data at athlinks.com, Jake is a serious runner, having completed at least two Chicago marathons, a couple of marathons in California, plus several other running events going back to 1998. The most recent was the 2018 Chicago Rock & Roll Half Marathon (1:51). Generally he finished in the top 10-20% of runners overall at these events. His best are a 1:24 half and 3:23 full marathon.

He also has accounts on MapMyFitness and Strava, two popular running apps. There is no data visible there, so they are likely set to private or “friends only” modes, if he used them at all. I don’t know if LE can request this data but it might help establish the nearby areas and trails he frequently visited.

This brings us to the shoes. Was he really wearing hiking boots or were these trail running shoes, which can look a bit alike? If the gas station video is the basis for his clothes and boots descriptions, I’d probably lean more toward hiking boots based on the way he walks when getting back in the car. But I can’t rule out that he might be wearing some more rugged style of trail running shoes.

Lastly, was he ever really at Waterfall Glen? If he was going hiking, or trail running, he could have easily gone about 1.5 miles to the south and east, over the river and canal using 83, and accessed any of a half dozen nature preserves in Cook Co. with abundant trails, as well as a couple of trails running along the river and canal. This direction doesn’t make a lot of sense based on where his car was parked, but if he wanted to purposefully throw off any followers, this would be an easily accessible alternative. These preserves together look to have 2-3x the acreage of Waterfall Glen (fun fact: the world’s first nuclear reactor core, the one from U. Chicago, is buried in one of these preserves).

This is not meant to criticize the person who named this thread, but If Jake saw it, he might be a bit miffed at the title. I’m not a serious runner, but I know there’s a difference between “jogging” and serious running. Based on data at athlinks.com, Jake is a serious runner, having completed at least two Chicago marathons, a couple of marathons in California, plus several other running events going back to 1998. The most recent was the 2018 Chicago Rock & Roll Half Marathon (1:51). Generally he finished in the top 10-20% of runners overall at these events. His best are a 1:24 half and 3:23 full marathon.

He also has accounts on MapMyFitness and Strava, two popular running apps. There is no data visible there, so they are likely set to private or “friends only” modes, if he used them at all. I don’t know if LE can request this data but it might help establish the nearby areas and trails he frequently visited.

This brings us to the shoes. Was he really wearing hiking boots or were these trail running shoes, which can look a bit alike? If the gas station video is the basis for his clothes and boots descriptions, I’d probably lean more toward hiking boots based on the way he walks when getting back in the car. But I can’t rule out that he might be wearing some more rugged style of trail running shoes.

Lastly, was he ever really at Waterfall Glen? If he was going hiking, or trail running, he could have easily gone about 1.5 miles to the south and east, over the river and canal using 83, and accessed any of a half dozen nature preserves in Cook Co. with abundant trails, as well as a couple of trails running along the river and canal. This direction doesn’t make a lot of sense based on where his car was parked, but if he wanted to purposefully throw off any followers, this would be an easily accessible alternative. These preserves together look to have 2-3x the acreage of Waterfall Glen (fun fact: the world’s first nuclear reactor core, the one from U. Chicago, is buried in one of these preserves).
Yea the thread title and all first info was just wrong. It all said he was jogging at preserve when in fact it’s never been shown he ever entered the preserve... but that is where they searched so maybe they know more than we do.

I don't think foul play was involved. Seems like the wrong time of day, and the wrong place(s). And the divorce was finalized some time ago.

I also don't think that a disappearance in the sense of going "off-grid" or going to the mountains is likely. There just doesn't seem to be any evidence of him planning for such a venture, even in another country. And it sounds like he was in no condition to be planning anything that might require making clandestine reservations, arranging transportation, itineraries, logistics, details, currency, etc. Plus, why? He had his kids, a GF (and could certainly find another if she left him), a good job, he was reasonably well off, and he was comfortable where he lived.

I do think however that self harm, or a very different type of disappearance, are very possible scenarios - both based on the nature of the disease of alcoholism. Clearly, in the last few days before his disappearance, he could no longer "not drink". That is a terrible place to be.

The BB says: "Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping off place. He will wish for the end."

I experienced that day. I chose to disappear to another country to go to rehab rather than end my life, but it was touch and go for awhile. In most serious long term rehabs, any communication with the outside world is extremely restricted (you don't even bring phones, unnecessary meds, etc.).

Actually, this stirring up some pretty awful memories, and that was 15 -20 years ago. My hope is that Jake found a good, private 90 day rehab and arranged for a way to get there. This fits with the familiy's relative silence as well. Jmo

I don't think foul play was involved. Seems like the wrong time of day, and the wrong place(s). And the divorce was finalized some time ago.

I also don't think that a disappearance in the sense of going "off-grid" or going to the mountains is likely. There just doesn't seem to be any evidence of him planning for such a venture, even in another country. And it sounds like he was in no condition to be planning anything that might require making clandestine reservations, arranging transportation, itineraries, logistics, details, currency, etc. Plus, why? He had his kids, a GF (and could certainly find another if she left him), a good job, he was reasonably well off, and he was comfortable where he lived.

I do think however that self harm, or a very different type of disappearance, are very possible scenarios - both based on the nature of the disease of alcoholism. Clearly, in the last few days before his disappearance, he could no longer "not drink". That is a terrible place to be.

The BB says: "Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping off place. He will wish for the end."

I experienced that day. I chose to disappear to another country to go to rehab rather than end my life, but it was touch and go for awhile. In most serious long term rehabs, any communication with the outside world is extremely restricted (you don't even bring phones, unnecessary meds, etc.).

Actually, this stirring up some pretty awful memories, and that was 15 -20 years ago. My hope is that Jake found a good, private 90 day rehab and arranged for a way to get there. This fits with the familiy's relative silence as well. Jmo
Hope you are ok and hoping that the last part of your statement is true for Jake.

I do think if he was able to continue with his job without problems then he would be able to plan a disappearance as well. Would be interesting to hear from co-workers if anything was noticed. Typos, being late, intoxicated etc. But, we’ve heard nothing of the sort- only from ex-wife.

Also, I can’t say with certainty he lived a “well-off” life. He was newly divorced - that costs. He drove a Range Rover yes, but we don’t know the details behind that. Was it partially compensated by United? His home was sparsely decorated. It does not exude financial comfort IMHO. So, I don’t know. But, quite possibly that doesn’t matter to him- maybe travel matters more.

Also, Jake is no longer on United’s org chart. Does he have a replacement? Or was his job going to be cut? Company Leadership | United Airlines Holdings, Inc.

Also, anyone ever looked at tweets Jake was “tagged” in? Personally I see what can be interpreted as a threat in one. Dive into it when you find it and you’ll find more.

Both ex/wife and gf#1 mentioned the drinking. His son also mentioned it. That's at least three people who noticed he was drinking more than usual.

I don't think he was that newly divorced. I'm not 100% but I thought I read he had been divorced for several years.

Hope you are ok and hoping that the last part of your statement is true for Jake.

I do think if he was able to continue with his job without problems then he would be able to plan a disappearance as well. Would be interesting to hear from co-workers if anything was noticed. Typos, being late, intoxicated etc. But, we’ve heard nothing of the sort- only from ex-wife.

Also, I can’t say with certainty he lived a “well-off” life. He was newly divorced - that costs. He drove a Range Rover yes, but we don’t know the details behind that. Was it partially compensated by United? His home was sparsely decorated. It does not exude financial comfort IMHO. So, I don’t know. But, quite possibly that doesn’t matter to him- maybe travel matters more.

Also, Jake is no longer on United’s org chart. Does he have a replacement? Or was his job going to be cut? Company Leadership | United Airlines Holdings, Inc.

Also, anyone ever looked at tweets Jake was “tagged” in? Personally I see what can be interpreted as a threat in one. Dive into it when you find it and you’ll find more.

RBBM

Could you please be a bit more specific? I went looking for said tweets; I didn't find anything.

Thanks.

RBBM

Thanks! I see exactly what you mean!

JMVHO.

Both ex/wife and gf#1 mentioned the drinking. His son also mentioned it. That's at least three people who noticed he was drinking more than usual.

I don't think he was that newly divorced. I'm not 100% but I thought I read he had been divorced for several years.
He was separated somewhere between 2014/2015 but some divorces take years to be finalized.

The tweet took place on August 10, 2o17.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back