Found Deceased FL - Stephanie Chitwood Hollingsworth, 50, Belle Isle, 25 Sept 2020

I heard mention of tire tracks, but didn’t see them. It always amazes me in so many searches for missing people, how many signs just aren’t seen- until they’re seen. Family, friends, LE, & community prob drove by there many times looking for Stephanie, but never saw those tracks. Prob time of day, dew, mist, rain- all impact the appearance of tracks in grass. So dang hard to see even when you’re relentlessly searching. I’m glad the search is over & so sorry for the immense loss.
The tire tracks are most likely from the heavier tow vehicle used in the rescue and not from SH. Her vehicle was submerged more than 3 weeks ago.

Body found in submerged SUV identified as missing Belle Isle woman

Oct 19, 2020

MGWDYWTUORHY5ADYBQLEI6UC3Y.jpg

Authorities said the medical examiner’s office is working to identify the official cause of death.

This is a developing story. This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Thanks for taking the time to give a great explanation! Got it!. Assuming SH was the one in the vehicle the possibility of the tire tracks being hers could make self harm less likely. So glad we don't have retention ponds in my area! Thanks again!
Ya where I am we don’t have any retention ponds or this much water whatsoever so I’ve been struggling to follow too! I’m glad you asked cuz now I get it! Thanks!

Being from the north, we have no retention ponds and few small bodies of water. Looking at the pictures of these ponds seem surrounded by a decent area of land surrounding. It is hard to comprehend how a vehicle could end up in and submerged accidentally short of traveling at a high speed. I believe it could happen but without a frame of reference I am clueless. What am I not getting?
I have personally viewed a woman lose control, and drive down by a retention pond.
a couple of months ago, and called 911...
Fortunately she was on the side of the water and not in it:
I think if you drive impaired, are distracted with texting, phone calls, or taking a curb too fast; it is easy to drive into the water here...
Retention ponds, lakes, ocean, etc are all over Florida... We get rainfall frequently and have the Everglades and many other water features here...
My heart breaks for her family and friends...
She appeared to be a sweet and lovely lady...

I have personally viewed a woman lose control, and drive down by a retention pond.
a couple of months ago, and called 911...
Fortunately she was on the side of the water and not in it:
I think if you drive impaired, are distracted with texting, phone calls, or taking a curb too fast; it is easy to drive into the water here...
Retention ponds, lakes, ocean, etc are all over Florida... We get rainfall frequently and have the Everglades and many other water features here...
My heart breaks for her family and friends...
She appeared to be a sweet and lovely lady...
Having never lived in a similar area it's honestly shocking to learn all of this. A simple Google of "Florida retention ponds deaths" brings up so many horrible stories. I would be terrified if a had a teenager learning to drive. So sad that SH's life is gone. Just seems so wrong and unjust for all.

Florida seems exceptionally hazardous for one of these 48 continuous states
“Water Hazard” is a real thing. I taught my two to drive here in FL after their Dad put them thru driving school in TN. Hmmm. That was nice but.... there are no hills, mountains, snow or ice here.... Now let me really teach you to drive.... in FL.

Rule #1: Vehicle + Water = 100% Death. Don’t challenge that, ever. I may have scared them silly but they’re both good drivers.

“Water Hazard” is a real thing. I taught my two to drive here in FL after their Dad put them thru driving school in TN. Hmmm. That was nice but.... there are no hills, mountains, snow or ice here.... Now let me really teach you to drive.... in FL.

Rule #1: Vehicle + Water = 100% Death. Don’t challenge that, ever. I may have scared them silly but they’re both good drivers.
The torrential rains are to be respected I’ve learned to pull aside and let them go for 20 minutes or so - besides flash flooding you literally cannot see - it’s not like rain in other states IMO

Interesting 2016 article about traffic water deaths and putting up barriers
"Chloe's law" takes effect today, protects you from driving into water | wtsp.com
Wow! The video is chilling. Seeing the law was passed in 2016 yet... where are the barriers?.... caused me to look further. "By June 30, 2018, the department shall install roadside barriers to shield water bodies contiguous with state roads at locations where a death due to drowning resulted from a motor vehicle accident in which a vehicle departed the adjacent state road during the period between July 1, 2006, and July 1, 2016". Why an end date? So many lives may have been saved since 2016. Including SH's. Thanks for sharing. This is all such an eye opener. Chapter 335 Section 085 - 2016 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Last edited:
Wow! The video is chilling. Seeing the law was passed in 2016 yet... where are the barriers?.... caused me to look further. "By June 30, 2018, the department shall install roadside barriers to shield water bodies contiguous with state roads at locations where a death due to drowning resulted from a motor vehicle accident in which a vehicle departed the adjacent state road during the period between July 1, 2006, and July 1, 2016". Why an end date? So many lives may have been saved since 2016. Including SH's. Thanks for sharing. This is all such an eye opener. Chapter 335 Section 085 - 2016 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

So it’s only after someone dies that a barrier was put up? WTH?

Curious. Has it been discussed if her car was headed in the direction of her home when she ended up in the pond?
So I live about 30 minutes from here and I’ve been following this case closely. Her car was headed in the opposite direction of her home and kids school. She was last seen on camera heading south on Narcoosee Rd, Fortress Storage has video of her driving past at 2:15 pm. I have seen screenshots of text messages that she was supposed to pick up her kids and a friend’s kid at Cornerstone Charter Academy at 2:45 pm. Husband did not report her missing until Saturday. Husband would not release her photo for the missing alert/poster until Monday. Also, a family was fishing in that retention pond on Saturday and noticed something shiny in the water and called 911. THEN they sent in a drone. So much is not right with this case.

They can't put barriers everywhere and anything that's going to get budgeted for has to have some numbers attached to it. They probably had a study sitting in front of them outlining all those fatalities for that ten year period, though that study may well have been part of a lawsuit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back