AK AK - Congressmen Hale Boggs and Nick Begich and 2 others, plane disappeared, Anchorage, 16 Oct 1972

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score
Four men missing after their plane disappeared on a flight in Alaska in 1972. The four men on the twin engine Cessna 310: US congressmen Hale Boggs and Nick Begich, the pilot and a political aide.

No wreckage was ever found, and there were many odd occurrences around the time the plane disappeared.

One fact that stood out to me was that Nick Begich’s widow, Pegge, married a mafia-connected killer with a history of bombings, Jerry Pasley, Jerry Pasley, less than two years after the disappearance of the plane her husband was on.

I was just wondering if anyone else here on WS had interest in this case.

Can you please add a source link for the content stateded above for this case?

A plane carrying Cokie Roberts’s father disappeared over Alaska. He was never found.
In 1972, House Majority Leader Hale Boggs boarded a flight from Anchorage to Juneau to campaign for a fellow Democrat

By Marisa Iati
September 17, 2019

... Roberts’s father, then-House Majority Leader Hale Boggs (D-La.), met Alaska Rep. Nicholas Begich (D) at Anchorage International Airport on Oct. 16 to board a chartered Cessna 310 for a 550-mile flight to Juneau, The Washington Post reported. Both congressmen’s wives had considered joining the trip, but decided they had too much to do in D.C.

The plane took off at 9 a.m. in low visibility, flew along the Portage Pass and neared the snow-capped Chugach Mountains. The control tower last heard from the pilot at 9:12 a.m.

When the phone rang a few hours later at the Begich household in McLean, Va., Alaska Gov. Bill Egan (D) was on the line. Begich’s wife, Pegge, immediately knew something was wrong.

“I just had an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach,” she told The Washington Post.

As authorities searched for the missing plane, Boggs’s wife, Lindy, invited the Begiches to their home in Bethesda, Md., the next day for a private Mass celebrated by Boggs’s brother Robert, a Catholic priest. The families received various reports that potential debris had been discovered, but none of it turned out to be the congressmen’s plane...

At Pegge Begich’s urging, the Boggs family decided to go to Alaska while the search continued. Roberts, who died Tuesday at the age of 75, was reluctant. Then 28, she had two young children and a TV news job in California.

“If you were missing in Alaska,” Lindy Boggs told Roberts, “Daddy would go looking for you.”...

Over the next 39 days, the Boggs family got regular briefings and photos from spy planes based at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage. Hunters, boats and more than 70 airplanes joined in the search, which was the largest in Alaska’s history at that time. They found another plane that had been missing for 17 years, but they never recovered the congressmen’s aircraft....

The conspiracy theories surrounding the disappearance mounted: Maybe a bomb had exploded on board, or perhaps Boggs’s role in the Warren Commission — charged with investigating the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy — had something to do with the disappearance. Boggs had expressed doubts about the commission’s majority opinion that Kennedy and Texas Gov. John Connally were struck by a single bullet and therefore there was just one assassin.

In a note forwarded to Pegge Begich from her husband’s office, scraps of newsprint from the Detroit Free Press spelled out another theory about the politicians’ disappearance: His Croatian heritage and his support of Croatian nationalism might have gotten him assassinated by Serbians, the note said. Both ethnic groups were common in Yugoslavia at the time, and tensions ran high.

Boggs and Begich were reelected the November after their disappearance, although they had not been found. On Jan. 3, 1973, however, the House of Representatives recognized the congressmen’s deaths....

Lindy Boggs and Pegge Begich competed in a special election to fill their husbands’ seats. Lindy Boggs won and went on to serve for nine terms. President Bill Clinton (D) later appointed her the U.S. ambassador to the Vatican....

The missing congressmen, meanwhile, eventually got a cenotaph at Congressional Cemetery in Southeast Washington.

Roberts told The Post in 2010 that her mother wanted them to have a monument: “She thought that would be a good idea for Daddy and Nick Begich, because they were never found and couldn’t be buried. Daddy’s plaque is on one side of it, and Nick Begich’s is on the other side. So it’s like they are together for eternity.”

In a 1991 opinion piece for the New York Times, Roberts wrote that she empathized with the families of missing Vietnam War soldiers because of her father’s disappearance.

“I know my father is not alive. I know that the most massive search ever conducted in this country would have found that plane had it not sunk to the bottom of the sea,” she wrote. “But still, I catch myself hesitating before changing the kitchen wallpaper, fearing that he will come home and think strangers are in the house. ... So the uncertainty will always nag at the back of my brain. But at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that my country did everything it could.”...

LINK:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...r-disappeared-over-alaska-he-was-never-found/

The disappearance of the plane carrying the two Congressmen was not without controversy.
Begich’s son Nick Jr. feels the plane was sabotaged by officials of the United States Government. Others believe it was a conspiracy connected with the Warren Commission report. Those who are intrigued by conspiracy theories may explore these by Googling “Begich-Boggs disappearance” or the Begich name.
The ECHO | Plane crash takes life of 2 Congressmen

Walczak wrote that about 18 months after the accident, Pegge Begich, married Jerry Max Pasley, "a murderer and bomber with mafia ties." They split in 1976.

In the 1990s, Pasley told investigators the plane carrying Hale Boggs and Nick Begich may have been intentionally brought down, Walczak said. At the time, Pasely was serving a life sentence for murder, plus 20 years for aggravated assault, the author writes.

Author writes about disappearance of plane carrying Hale Boggs 43 years ago over Alaska

The plane crash was one of many covered recently (2019) in a magazine special titled: "Mysterious Plane Crashes", published by the National Enquirer.

Thomas Hale Boggs Sr. – The Charley Project

thomas_hale_boggs_sr._4.jpg
thomas_hale_boggs_sr._3.jpg
thomas_hale_boggs_sr._5.jpg
thomas_hale_boggs_sr._2.jpg

• Missing Since10/16/1972
  • Missing FromAlaska, Alaska
  • ClassificationLost/Injured Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth02/15/1914 (106)
  • Age58 years old
  • Height and Weight6'0, 170 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Boggs goes by his middle name, Hale.

Details of Disappearance
Boggs, a Democrat, was the House Majority Leader in 1972. He was educated at Tulane University; he has degrees in journalism and law. He was first elected to the House of Representatives in 1941; at twenty-six years old, he was the youngest member of Congress at the time.

Boggs lost an attempt at reelection and served in the Navy during World War II before making a political comeback, returning to Congress in 1946. He was reelected thirteen times before his disappearance.

Boggs and his fellow Congressman Nicholas Begich were on a campaign fund-raising tour when they took a twin-engine Cessna 310 plane with the FAA registration number N1812H on a flight from Anchorage, Alaska to Juneau, Alaska. They were accompanied by the pilot, Don Jones, and Begich's aide, Russell L. Brown. Photographs and vital statistics for Brown are unavailable.

Weather conditions along the route were not conducive to flying, and the plane disappeared near the Chugach mountain range somewhere in southeast Alaska. Despite a massive search lasting over a month, the men and the plane were never located. Although the circumstances indicate that Boggs, Begich, Brown and Jones perished in an accidental crash, their disappearances have been the subject of many conspiracy theories due to their positions. Rumors that the two Congressmen were assassinated have never been substantiated and their cases remain unsolved.

Alaska has the most plane crashes of any US state. I think it was just another weather related accident. If the plane ended up in the Gulf, it may never be found.
For 99% of missing planes in Alaska, the plane or at least some of the wreckage is found. The search for this missing plane was the largest search in Alaskan history. No wreckage was ever found.

There are just too many coincidences involving this missing plane. MOO but I think there might be more involved than just weather.

By the time the search was called off on Nov. 24, 1972, there had been more than 1,000 flights totaling roughly 3,600 hours.

“It’s fascinating that nothing from the plane surfaced — no debris, no life preserver, no oil slick, nothing,” Walczak said. “A lot of things turn up in 50 years. I would think something would have surfaced by now.”
New podcast explores Alaskan mystery with Tucson twist

For 99% of missing planes in Alaska, the plane or at least some of the wreckage is found. The search for this missing plane was the largest search in Alaskan history. No wreckage was ever found.

There are just too many coincidences involving this missing plane. MOO but I think there might be more involved than just weather.

New podcast explores Alaskan mystery with Tucson twist

even if there were more involved ... even if a crime were committed, how would the criminals have been able to make the plane disappear?

even if there were more involved ... even if a crime were committed, how would the criminals have been able to make the plane disappear?
If it was blown up by a bomb on board the pieces could be so small they would not have been found.

If it was blown up by a bomb on board the pieces could be so small they would not have been found.

An explosion in the air would have helped to spread aircraft pieces and debris over a wide area and actually would make finding it more likely. The plane would not have disintegrated. A bomb would have blown a hole in the fuselage or damaged an engine causing the aircraft to crash. But in any event, there would be a great deal of wreckage somewhere.

I had similar suspicions about the plane crash that took the life of Sen. Paul Wellstone, his wife, daughter and campaign staffer, but sometimes the crash of a small plane is just that. It's a risky way to travel, yet politicians, entertainers and others often use them.

Inquiry on Wellstone Crash Finds Oddities About Pilot (Published 2003)

Thanks for the links above, I'm going to check them out.

ETA: Gov. Mel Carnahan's plane crash was very odd, too.

Carnahan case decided

Last edited:
this airplane is not very big:
Specifications. Dimensions : Wing span 11.25m (36ft 11in), length 9.74m (32ft 0in), height 3.25m (10ft 8in). Wing area 16.6m2 (179sq ft). Capacity: 2 pilots, Standard seating arrangements for 2 or 4 passengers.
1703477679433.png

Cessna 310R | RocketRoute

The Chugach Mtns are a hugh area:
The Chugach Mountains of southern Alaska are the northernmost of the several mountain ranges that make up theePacific Coast Ranges of the western edge of North America. Wikipedia
Elevation: 13,094′
Area: 19,478 mi²
Highest point: Mount Marcus Baker
Length: 300 mi (480 km) E–W
Passes: Turnagain Pass

needle in a haystack IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics