NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some digging and it seems to be L.E. in that area is pretty corrupt. The girl this kid has a baby with & was about 3 months pregnant at the time with his baby when all if this happened (girl apparent fight was over at the party ) Her dad and another officer were suspended with out pay for covering up a DWI they were involved in! Police chief was terminated and the two officers got their jobs back. Roughly one year after he was suspended with out pay he became chief? What's the chance in that? All I know is outside eyes need to start looking into this case. If you look up corruption in the North Country you can find the articles on this said officer. Opinions on where to go from here? How would one approach a DA with this information. ASLO this said kid can not be found on the white pages or on the Background checker we paid for ? Can anyone tell me why that would be? All I can think is he's in protective custody or some type of informant.

Doing some digging and it seems to be L.E. in that area is pretty corrupt. The girl this kid has a baby with & was about 3 months pregnant at the time with his baby when all if this happened (girl apparent fight was over at the party ) Her dad and another officer were suspended with out pay for covering up a DWI they were involved in! Police chief was terminated and the two officers got their jobs back. Roughly one year after he was suspended with out pay he became chief? What's the chance in that? All I know is outside eyes need to start looking into this case. If you look up corruption in the North Country you can find the articles on this said officer. Opinions on where to go from here? How would one approach a DA with this information. ASLO this said kid can not be found on the white pages or on the Background checker we paid for ? Can anyone tell me why that would be? All I can think is he's in protective custody or some type of informant.

First, Hi @JusticeFCG thank you for being here! I concur with all you have posted...the corruption angle concerns me greatly and is the reason I haven't picked up the phone and called their local PD (Police department) myself.
I have dug up a lot of the same info as you but have no idea where to go with it. I have wondered, if we know this info so must his family, right? I wonder what they have chosen to do with this info...has LE just brushed them off?
I do think AT and NT are the keys to this case. When you mention he told his girlfriend at the time, wasn't that BN?? I can not think of who EB is at the moment. I haven't spent much time on WS or this case lately...but I have some time on my hands now so here I am again.

Justice for Colin!!

I know money is tight for many people, but an independent investigator with experience in how police investigations are handled, or, mishandled as it were, might be the most expeditious way to go at present. All the information seems to be at the fingertips of those who have the authority to investigate, and yet it will soon be a decade with no progress whatsoever. Unacceptable.

Seems every time we get fresh eyes on this case they come to the same conclusion as we all have over the years.

1) This case is solvable
2) The last people to see Colin are likely involved in his disappearance or know what happened to him.
3) There is some question about how this case has been handled by LE.

So, now what? This case has gone so cold and it's so0000 sad. It's past time for LE to re-interview those who were at the party that night, specifically those who said they offered Colin a ride that night.

I wonder if that big billboard of Colin is still on the road as you drive into Tupper.

Justice for Colin Gillis!

Colin W. Gillis – The Charley Project

colin_w._gillis_3.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm new to websleuths and have spent the last day or so reading this thread in its entirety. I did not know Colin but he went to college with one of my friends that knew him. We are about the same age so his story has always stuck with me as I'm also from small-town upstate NY. I'm fascinated at the work the people on this site put into these cases!

Apologies in advance if any of this is not allowed here, again, I am new to this. However, I have to agree that the story from AT and JA seems off to me. I did some research and like others can easily see that this is a small town where everyone knows each other, and potentially the LE working the case. One of which is JA. Interestingly, I did find this article, listing a second JA as a town police officer until December 2012. Related? If so definitely could be a great resource to be able to call on if something had gone wrong that night.

Speakers support keeping Tupper Lake police position | News, Sports, Jobs - Adirondack Daily Enterprise

Also, this same surname seems to own an excavation business in town. I'm not sure how long its been active, but that seems like an interesting connection to equipment and locations.

I do see points about the fight potentially being about a girl. If so I would think maybe just a friend, as I believe an earlier post said CG had a girlfriend at the time that was not BN. Maybe her and her bf got into a fight and CG stepped in to help? I did notice CG is friends with BN on Facebook, and also a sibling of JA, but not JA or AT.

Finally, one of the weirdest parts of this case to me is the lack of social media by the kids. Again I am their age, and know firsthand how much people like to talk on social media at that age. There aren't any pictures, posts, etc. other than the one by BN about a fight. It's shocking to me, really, that everyone seems to be so quiet - which makes me think this was not just "getting lost in the woods" and there's definitely more to this story.

Hello everyone! I'm new to websleuths and have spent the last day or so reading this thread in its entirety. I did not know Colin but he went to college with one of my friends that knew him. We are about the same age so his story has always stuck with me as I'm also from small-town upstate NY. I'm fascinated at the work the people on this site put into these cases!

Apologies in advance if any of this is not allowed here, again, I am new to this. However, I have to agree that the story from AT and JA seems off to me. I did some research and like others can easily see that this is a small town where everyone knows each other, and potentially the LE working the case. One of which is JA. Interestingly, I did find this article, listing a second JA as a town police officer until December 2012. Related? If so definitely could be a great resource to be able to call on if something had gone wrong that night.

Speakers support keeping Tupper Lake police position | News, Sports, Jobs - Adirondack Daily Enterprise

Also, this same surname seems to own an excavation business in town. I'm not sure how long its been active, but that seems like an interesting connection to equipment and locations.

I do see points about the fight potentially being about a girl. If so I would think maybe just a friend, as I believe an earlier post said CG had a girlfriend at the time that was not BN. Maybe her and her bf got into a fight and CG stepped in to help? I did notice CG is friends with BN on Facebook, and also a sibling of JA, but not JA or AT.

Finally, one of the weirdest parts of this case to me is the lack of social media by the kids. Again I am their age, and know firsthand how much people like to talk on social media at that age. There aren't any pictures, posts, etc. other than the one by BN about a fight. It's shocking to me, really, that everyone seems to be so quiet - which makes me think this was not just "getting lost in the woods" and there's definitely more to this story.

Hi @bbaudy12 , Welcome to Websleuths! I feel kinda stuck on what to do next with this case. The lack of local follow up on the story. Is the case being investigated still, at all?
Interesting about the excavating company....good sleuthing! Hope you stick around!

If there is one case I personally want to see solved, it's this one!

Justice for Colin!

Hello all,
I'm Colin Gillis' brother(the one who made the video). Someone contacted me after reading this forum, and I had no idea that this was even talked about, not to mention so widely by so many people. Thank you all for your constant diligence and your support for my family and friends. I'll be checking in from time to time, and if any of you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll answer everything I can to the best of my ability.
Thank you all again,
Peace and Love,
Ian Gillis

Hello all,
I'm Colin Gillis' brother(the one who made the video). Someone contacted me after reading this forum, and I had no idea that this was even talked about, not to mention so widely by so many people. Thank you all for your constant diligence and your support for my family and friends. I'll be checking in from time to time, and if any of you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll answer everything I can to the best of my ability.
Thank you all again,
Peace and Love,
Ian Gillis

Ian-so sorry about your brother; I hope you get the answers you and your family deserve.

I don't visit WS too much anymore, but Colin's case is one of the 5 or so that I do pop on to specifically check out every few days. My heart breaks for families like Collin's who just don't have answers.

Ian, please know that many people do care, many people have been touched by Colin's story, and the ripples of his missing reach far and wide. You never know when one tiny thought or suggestion might shake something loose. Never give up.

May you have the answers your family needs one day soon.

Hello all,
Thank you all again,
Peace and Love,
Ian Gillis
I'm very sorry about what happened to Colin.
Maybe you can help me rule someone in or out.
I won't mention any first names, but do you know whether anyone with the last name LeBlanc was present at the party that Colin attended the night he disappeared?

I'm very sorry about what happened to Colin.
Maybe you can help me rule someone in or out.
I won't mention any first names, but do you know whether anyone with the last name LeBlanc was present at the party that Colin attended the night he disappeared?

I'm unaware of every individual who was there at the party. However there is a local LeBlanc family that is a relative to us, and nobody in that family was there that night.

Hello all,
Thank you all again,
Peace and Love,
Ian Gillis

Hi Ian,

Wow! Great to have you here, so glad you found us! As you can see from my many posts, I very much hope to see Justice for your brother! I am so sorry your family has had to go through this!

I actually have so many questions, feel free to answer only what you are comfortable with.

Question:
Did you or your family ever see a copy of the police report?

Were the people investigating Colin's disappearance related to BN (AT's girlfriend at the time) and baby mama.

Was AT's car ever searched?

Do you believe that we are on the right track on this thread?

Why do you think his license and pipe were found on the side of the road?

Do you know what the fight at the party was about?

Also, if you have any questions for us or angles you think we should sleuth, please let us know! I think of your brother often and want to help! (Feel free to PM me)

Thanks for joining the discussion, I am so sorry that you have to find yourself here.

Also, if you would please consider becoming verified?
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

all the best,
Justice of Colin!
andalso

Hello all,

I'll try to answer Andalso's questions best I can, but not necessarily in order. I'm in the process of getting verified, so hopefully it appears in a few days.

To start, the investigation is still open, and is/was headed by the BCI. The task Force that headed the physical search was called "The A Team" that was comprised elite Forest Rangers, BCI, and State Trooper members. Albeit this did NOT include initial efforts.

The things I've read in the recent history (I apologize for not reading at 46 pages) have interesting theories.

There where tracks found in the snow that lead along side the road leading to the highway, and then on the opposite side of the highway going up a hill, and then returning to the road. He was also sighted by non locals as "waving his arms."
I'm not sure how open this is to the public but Colin had made several phone calls late that night to many people. On that side of town service is very hard to come by, hence trying to climb a hill or "waving" his arms. Not to mention he had a serve problem with letting his phone die constantly. He was approached by more than one vehicle that gave testimony and whom asked him if he needed a ride home, to which he replied no.

So that leaves things very open. Without being directly able to identity when the tracks were made, or who made them, and that there is no clear indication whether or not the items on the road where left intentionally or haphazardly, it's difficult to discern what happened. I'd rather not believe my town is like Hot Fuzz, but such thoughts creep up after so long.

Many people have been interviewed multiple times, arranging from DDs to relationships of people at the party over the course of 8 years to make sure the story is always the same.

One thing to be noted is Colin had a notoriously short fuse and would fight constantly at parties. Not necessarily violent but he was always very physical with me and I wouldn't be surprised if when he drank things got physical between people to a certain extent.

Personally I've never seen a report but I've had multiple interactions with the BCI Investigator who had handled Colin's case, and no, the bones found at the Wild Center where not his, I personally gave DNA to test against it, there was more than a carbon test.

That being said that's all I'll say here as to leave the business to the professionals. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to share considering it's an open investigation but I'll gladly elaborate and dispel any thing I can in the future within my comfort zone!

Thank you all again!
Peace and love,
Ian Gillis
Hi Ian,

Wow! Great to have you here, so glad you found us! As you can see from my many posts, I very much hope to see Justice for your brother! I am so sorry your family has had to go through this!

I actually have so many questions, feel free to answer only what you are comfortable with.

Question:
Did you or your family ever see a copy of the police report?

Were the people investigating Colin's disappearance related to BN (AT's girlfriend at the time) and baby mama.

Was AT's car ever searched?

Do you believe that we are on the right track on this thread?

Why do you think his license and pipe were found on the side of the road?

Do you know what the fight at the party was about?

Also, if you have any questions for us or angles you think we should sleuth, please let us know! I think of your brother often and want to help! (Feel free to PM me)

Thanks for joining the discussion, I am so sorry that you have to find yourself here.

Also, if you would please consider becoming verified?
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

all the best,
Justice of Colin!
andalso

Hello all,

I'll try to answer Andalso's questions best I can, but not necessarily in order. I'm in the process of getting verified, so hopefully it appears in a few days.

To start, the investigation is still open, and is/was headed by the BCI. The task Force that headed the physical search was called "The A Team" that was comprised elite Forest Rangers, BCI, and State Trooper members. Albeit this did NOT include initial efforts.

The things I've read in the recent history (I apologize for not reading at 46 pages) have interesting theories.

There where tracks found in the snow that lead along side the road leading to the highway, and then on the opposite side of the highway going up a hill, and then returning to the road. He was also sighted by non locals as "waving his arms."
I'm not sure how open this is to the public but Colin had made several phone calls late that night to many people. On that side of town service is very hard to come by, hence trying to climb a hill or "waving" his arms. Not to mention he had a serve problem with letting his phone die constantly. He was approached by more than one vehicle that gave testimony and whom asked him if he needed a ride home, to which he replied no.

So that leaves things very open. Without being directly able to identity when the tracks were made, or who made them, and that there is no clear indication whether or not the items on the road where left intentionally or haphazardly, it's difficult to discern what happened. I'd rather not believe my town is like Hot Fuzz, but such thoughts creep up after so long.

Many people have been interviewed multiple times, arranging from DDs to relationships of people at the party over the course of 8 years to make sure the story is always the same.

One thing to be noted is Colin had a notoriously short fuse and would fight constantly at parties. Not necessarily violent but he was always very physical with me and I wouldn't be surprised if when he drank things got physical between people to a certain extent.

Personally I've never seen a report but I've had multiple interactions with the BCI Investigator who had handled Colin's case, and no, the bones found at the Wild Center where not his, I personally gave DNA to test against it, there was more than a carbon test.

That being said that's all I'll say here as to leave the business to the professionals. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to share considering it's an open investigation but I'll gladly elaborate and dispel any thing I can in the future within my comfort zone!

Thank you all again!
Peace and love,
Ian Gillis

Thanks for your responses, I hope we can help you see justice for Colin! I am so sorry for what you have been through, giving your DNA to test against the bones must have been a very difficult process for you and your family!

On the night he went missing, the sightings by non-locals, are you talking about the newspaper editor and his mom or were there others too?

The items found on the road, were they ever tested for fingerprints or DNA on the pipe?

Could you elaborate when you say Colin would fight constantly at parties? Were these fights usually physical or verbal? Were there specific people Colin would usually fight with? Either way, he most definitely did NOT deserve THIS!

Do you lean towards thinking there is foul play involved in Colin's disappearance or that he went missing in the mountains?
I can't understand why he wouldn't take one of those offered rides. I keep coming back to the idea that maybe he DID take one of those rides and that's where things went wrong. Of course, I could be way off track.

Some ideas for you.
  • There is a guy named Tim Miller that is incredible at finding loved ones and solving crimes. He was a victim of a tragedy himself. I am not sure if he would take on Colin's case but it couldn't hurt for you to reach out. However, he is based in Texas and I am pretty sure they require Law Enforcement to invite them to assist in a case. Depending on what the truth is here, that may be an issue for you. But here is the info. Texas EquuSearch
  • A private investigator could also be helpful to you all, if you have not yet done that. (don't answer that here)
  • Additionally, true crime podcasts could help bring attention to the case, which in turn could help provide answers.
  • Get the New York Times reporter or local press to do a follow-up story

It's all such a conundrum. It would be great to get some fresh eyes on the case!

Wishing you and your family peace!

and also

Hello,
My posts are being removed because of my lack of verification. I'm currently still in the process of getting verified so until then I must refrain from posting any information regarding my brother's case. Hope you can understand,
Ian

Albeit I can't say much, here's the NYT article
After 2 Years of Hoping, Upstate New York Family Has Few Leads on Man Who Vanished (Published 2014)

Thanks for your responses, I hope we can help you see justice for Colin! I am so sorry for what you have been through, giving your DNA to test against the bones must have been a very difficult process for you and your family!

On the night he went missing, the sightings by non-locals, are you talking about the newspaper editor and his mom or were there others too?

The items found on the road, were they ever tested for fingerprints or DNA on the pipe?

Could you elaborate when you say Colin would fight constantly at parties? Were these fights usually physical or verbal? Were there specific people Colin would usually fight with? Either way, he most definitely did NOT deserve THIS!

Do you lean towards thinking there is foul play involved in Colin's disappearance or that he went missing in the mountains?
I can't understand why he wouldn't take one of those offered rides. I keep coming back to the idea that maybe he DID take one of those rides and that's where things went wrong. Of course, I could be way off track.

Some ideas for you.
  • There is a guy named Tim Miller that is incredible at finding loved ones and solving crimes. He was a victim of a tragedy himself. I am not sure if he would take on Colin's case but it couldn't hurt for you to reach out. However, he is based in Texas and I am pretty sure they require Law Enforcement to invite them to assist in a case. Depending on what the truth is here, that may be an issue for you. But here is the info. Texas EquuSearch
  • A private investigator could also be helpful to you all, if you have not yet done that. (don't answer that here)
  • Additionally, true crime podcasts could help bring attention to the case, which in turn could help provide answers.
  • Get the New York Times reporter or local press to do a follow-up story

It's all such a conundrum. It would be great to get some fresh eyes on the case!

Wishing you and your family peace!

and also

Hey everyone,

Welcome to GWOBrother who has now been verified as Colin's brother.

As a verified family member, GWOBrother does not have to provide links to support what they state as fact.

We are fortunate to have GWOBrother join in this discussion. Please be respectful to our VI at all times. Do not argue, challenge, interrogate or badger them for information. A VI will provide information as they are comfortable with. Members are free to believe or disbelieve information provided by them but, if you do not agree with certain information, please just scroll and roll without taking issue with it.

Thank you.

Hello,
My posts are being removed because of my lack of verification. I'm currently still in the process of getting verified so until then I must refrain from posting any information regarding my brother's case. Hope you can understand,
Ian

Ian,

Thank you so much for becoming verified! Just a few more questions, though I understand if you are unable to answer them.

I remember when that NYT article came out, I thought 'what great exposure, this will crack the case wide open' but yet, here we are. I emailed the writer of that article after it came out, in hopes that he would look at this thread and perhaps do a follow up story but I never heard back. Which leads me to this...I personally think it would be beneficial to get main stream media interested in this case again. Would you concur?

O'kay, back to the night he went missing. What is the minutia we are missing?

How did Colin usually carry his license? Did he have a wallet or did he just keep it loose in his pocket?

Do you know what the fight at the party was about? Are you allowed to say?

How did Colin arrive at the party, and with whom.

You mentioned that Colin made several phone calls that night. Were they all local to the Tupper Lake friend group?

You also mention more than one car stopped to offer Colin a ride. So, more than just AT who stopped 2 times?
-Is it safe to say that Colin was waiting for a specifically pre-arranged person to give him a ride and that is why
he didn't accept these other rides?

Again, thank you Ian for coming here, please let us know what we can do to help!

andalso

Hello!
Glad I got the verification process sorted, so onto the questions.

You can go ahead and rule out the LeBlanc name, I received info on that and he isn't involved in Colin the way you might think.

I have asked about the ID and paraphernalia being fingerprinted and to my knowledge they never were. Something about being a party and having too many fingerprints to be of any use in the case was the excuse I was fed, and I don't agree with it. The fingerprinting process could've been a great source of information.

I don't disagree with more exposure for the case. I think the more the better, with the exception of the rumor mill getting out of hand.

Colin didn't have a license, it was his college ID that he was carrying, so I have no idea how he carried it, I would assume it was loose as he didn't normally carry a wallet to my recollection.

Colin, like I mentioned before, had a short fuse. It wasn't uncommon for him to get into alterations at parties, (not necessarily physical), but it wasn't just him and another person, multiple parties were in alterations, but there were hard drugs at the party so there's no surprise there.

Colin arrived via car with a group of friends who left the party without him, which he was aware of. People claim that he had a ride coming, but I don't believe he ever mentioned who it was.

Colin made 5 calls, some repeated. Included in those calls were close friends and PM (who is a Saranac Lake local) who has been a righteous pain in the butt for this case.

Foul play is not out of the question in my opinion. I don't make any assumptions in the case however. I like to leave every possibility on the table, but one thing for sure I think we can discern is he got into a vehicle either willingly or not. As far as being hit by a vehicle that seems highly unlikely based on the fact that there was no indications in the snow fall that there was any sort of traffic incidents (tracks off the road, skid marks, blood, body imprints, multiple foot prints, etc.)

I'm omitting the names of close friends out of fairness to them. They're not just friends of Colin they're close friends of the family, and their names don't deserve to be here.

I'd love to see the video I made get more publicity because I think it speaks in volumes to my families struggles and how we remember him, more so than an article could provide.

Again thank you all for your input and your efforts, it certainly hasn't gone unnoticed. Hopefully my answers help!
Ian

Ian,

Thank you so much for becoming verified! Just a few more questions, though I understand if you are unable to answer them.

I remember when that NYT article came out, I thought 'what great exposure, this will crack the case wide open' but yet, here we are. I emailed the writer of that article after it came out, in hopes that he would look at this thread and perhaps do a follow up story but I never heard back. Which leads me to this...I personally think it would be beneficial to get main stream media interested in this case again. Would you concur?

O'kay, back to the night he went missing. What is the minutia we are missing?

How did Colin usually carry his license? Did he have a wallet or did he just keep it loose in his pocket?

Do you know what the fight at the party was about? Are you allowed to say?

How did Colin arrive at the party, and with whom.

You mentioned that Colin made several phone calls that night. Were they all local to the Tupper Lake friend group?

You also mention more than one car stopped to offer Colin a ride. So, more than just AT who stopped 2 times?
-Is it safe to say that Colin was waiting for a specifically pre-arranged person to give him a ride and that is why
he didn't accept these other rides?

Again, thank you Ian for coming here, please let us know what we can do to help!

andalso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members