Found Deceased MA - Henry Bedard, 15, found murdered, Swampscott, 16 Dec 1974

but they did rob him first right? i imagine they either blocked his path so he couldn't pass or surrounded him. maybe the person with the bat was the alpha and the others were fairly passive and just watched. is it confirmed 100% that one of the brothers is deceased? you said there is evidence, can you elaborate on that? were you around Henrys age when it happened or older/younger.

Last edited:
I don't believe robbery was the motive. I think the money was taken as an afterthought.

I think the perp may have owed Henry money...maybe gambling losses from the card games.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

The wooded area/SV did not have to be accessed from the main road/public works as Henry did. Suffolk Ave dead ends to the woods and it can be gotten to by various back yards from several other streets that abut the woods and old train tracks. If someone lived in that area, like the boys that found Henry, they could have been in the woods and did not have to access the way Henry did, which would be very noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

The wooded area/SV did not have to be accessed from the main road/public works as Henry did. Suffolk Ave dead ends to the woods and it can be gotten to by various back yards from several other streets that abut the woods and old train tracks. If someone lived in that area, like the boys that found Henry, they could have been in the woods and did not have to access the way Henry did, which would be very noticeable.

True, the killer (s) could have approached from a number of directions.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

But he either:

Was already following Henry

Was already there, possibly with others, when Henry came up

Had arranged to meet Henry there, that afternoon

Was somewhere nearby and saw him approach the hillside

BTW, I was just wondering if we knew where Henry fell after the attack and the location of the bat, it might give a clue as to which direction the killer walked as he left the crime scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
some believe he came upon a group of people that were already there.

Also possible.

If so, why did he walk up there that day? It wasn't his usual route home. It was out of the way and he'd already walked quite a distance that afternoon.

True, the killer (s) could have approached from a number of directions.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

But he either:

Was already following Henry

Was already there, possibly with others, when Henry came up

Had arranged to meet Henry there, that afternoon

Was somewhere nearby and saw him approach the hillside

BTW, I was just wondering if we knew where Henry fell after the attack and the location of the bat, it might give a clue as to which direction the killer walked as he left the crime scene.

Betty P-I agree with your analysis.
I find myself in a circle on this. The attack has always sounded somewhat random to me. Could be random local or outsider opportunity as we now know (we didn't know much back in the 70s) that this does happen with these types of crimes.
But if random, I wonder why did Henry go up that way when it was not a short cut home. And if someone was following, it would be risky, especially for an adult, to go up to that small woods the same way and only a local would know the other ways to access the woods.
I had not considered him coming across a group of kids but if so, they sure have kept it quiet in this somewhat small close knit town. So maybe coming across a lone individual makes more sense though since Henry went out of his way to get up there, he must have been meeting someone or looking for something.

My understanding is that the bat was found near Henry. And that he did not have any defensive wounds or injuries. No idea which way they walked off. I would guess out Suffolk Ave or sneak back down to the old train tracks and walk unnoticed to a street exit like on Stetson Ave. They would not go the way Henry got up there.

Unfortunately what the police thought at the time still seems true today, no real suspects or theories.
"We never got anything that was worthwhile. Nothing. Nothing at all," said James Hanley, the retired Swampscott police captain who oversaw the investigation. "There were all kinds of theories. Theories like some hobo came down the track and killed him. A nut from Lynn could have done it. I never got anything that would kind to seem to have any credence to it."
I comment with the hope that shedding any insight can help this get resolved to provide some level of closure for Henry's family. RIP Henry.

Betty P-I agree with your analysis.
I find myself in a circle on this. The attack has always sounded somewhat random to me. Could be random local or outsider opportunity as we now know (we didn't know much back in the 70s) that this does happen with these types of crimes.
But if random, I wonder why did Henry go up that way when it was not a short cut home. And if someone was following, it would be risky, especially for an adult, to go up to that small woods the same way and only a local would know the other ways to access the woods.
I had not considered him coming across a group of kids but if so, they sure have kept it quiet in this somewhat small close knit town. So maybe coming across a lone individual makes more sense though since Henry went out of his way to get up there, he must have been meeting someone or looking for something.

My understanding is that the bat was found near Henry. And that he did not have any defensive wounds or injuries. No idea which way they walked off. I would guess out Suffolk Ave or sneak back down to the old train tracks and walk unnoticed to a street exit like on Stetson Ave. They would not go the way Henry got up there.

Unfortunately what the police thought at the time still seems true today, no real suspects or theories.
"We never got anything that was worthwhile. Nothing. Nothing at all," said James Hanley, the retired Swampscott police captain who oversaw the investigation. "There were all kinds of theories. Theories like some hobo came down the track and killed him. A nut from Lynn could have done it. I never got anything that would kind to seem to have any credence to it."
I comment with the hope that shedding any insight can help this get resolved to provide some level of closure for Henry's family. RIP Henry.

Agree, its puzzling. Farther back in this thread I quoted an expert who said most murders of boys Henry's age group are committed by other boys around the same age or a few years older. The reason we can't figure out how it happened or why is because we're not thinking like 15 yo guys. It's hormones, quick tempers, grudges, peer pressure and irrational, impulsive decisions and will probably never make sense.

Was it premeditated? Maybe not murder, but some kind of fight if the bat was brought to the scene. Maybe some of the locals can tell us if 1974 Swampscott was a place where teens got into violent fights, used weapons, etc. If premeditated, it probably wasn't planned very far in advance. Someone who had played sports, Little League. Looking at a larger overhead view, there are more routes possible out of the area, if you know where to go through people's back yards. Franklin Ave. is also an escape route.

I have to take off, but maybe the next step is to look at the neighborhood back then. Was the hill a place where Henry hung out with other kids in the summer or was he not part of that group?

Last edited:
The problem with that theory is the bat. Was the bat just there?
Unfortunately too many unknowns. Wooden bats were fairly cheap back then. They could have been carrying it around finding it somewhere, it could have been found in the woods, kids routinely played pick-up baseball in the park across the street maybe it was found laying around and picked up there....

It is a cold case, never solved in a very small town so i have to go with the theory that the suspect(s) were not 15 and not in any way associated with Henrys friends or with swampscott high school but lived very close to the scene so it would be a wooded place to go to smoke a joint, pass a bottle around or whatever. the bat, i have no good idea but possibly as these people were walking up there the bat was conveniently out in the open and someone grabbed it. it is said that Henry was 5'4 130pds, not an imposing intimidating person. logic and pre meditation theories havnt solved the case so maybe the truth isnt very logical at all? i think the fact that henrys wallet was found separate from his body is the biggest clue.

It is a cold case, never solved in a very small town so i have to go with the theory that the suspect(s) were not 15 and not in any way associated with Henrys friends or with swampscott high school but lived very close to the scene so it would be a wooded place to go to smoke a joint, pass a bottle around or whatever. the bat, i have no good idea but possibly as these people were walking up there the bat was conveniently out in the open and someone grabbed it. it is said that Henry was 5'4 130pds, not an imposing intimidating person. logic and pre meditation theories havnt solved the case so maybe the truth isnt very logical at all? i think the fact that henrys wallet was found separate from his body is the biggest clue.

Good comments and things to consider.
Sounds reasonable to me that since it is not solved, there are not any good suspects, it's a small town, then they were probably Not associated with Henry's friends or Swampscott High. Though I feel they must have been kids/college age as adults would not go there and they had to also be very local as if you did not live nearby you would go somewhere else to smoke a joint. This is not easy to get to and is still very small and could be seen entering, unless you lived right there.

The only problem with them not being known to Henry is why did Henry go up there that afternoon? It was out of his way.

in 2011 when there was a push to solve this case there was a facebook page where people could comment and it was stated by someone that there were suspects just lack of evidence to bring an arrest. it rained heavily the night he was killed, the police mishandled evidence. later Dna did not provide anything. If this is true I am sure it has been very painful for those in the know. It was quoted that LE felt the perp (s) lived very close by. I have no idea if things quoted in the past are actually true but i do remember reading these things. as to why Henry went up there, its as tricky as the bat. I have no clue but i dont believe he felt it was dangerous.

I've often wondered if the police ever surveilled the cemetery Henry is buried in on birthdays, anniversaries etc?

Sounds reasonable to me that since it is not solved, there are not any good suspects, it's a small town, then they were probably Not associated with Henry's friends or Swampscott High. Though I feel they must have been kids/college age as adults would not go there and they had to also be very local as if you did not live nearby you would go somewhere else to smoke a joint. This is not easy to get to and is still very small and could be seen entering, unless you lived right there.

The only problem with them not being known to Henry is why did Henry go up there that afternoon? It was out of his way.
It was out of his way but it was a popular meeting place so it is possible he went up there to meet someone for a friendly reason.

older kids who lived close by would still use it as a hang out or meeting place themselves. butterfly said he was told by his friend that they were 18-20. if one person is 20 then maybe he has a friend who is a little older than him. now you have the possibility of someone in there early 20's being the killer???

does anyone know exactly how close to the end of the dead tracks his body was found? was this in view of the major street the dpw is on or is it furthur down the path?

does anyone know exactly how close to the end of the dead tracks his body was found? was this in view of the major street the dpw is on or is it furthur down the path?

From news accounts and photos, he was found in the wooded area on top of the hill, at the end of Suffolk Ave. It's uphill from the dead end of the street. On the side near DPS, it's actually on a bluff overlooking the lot. It's also rather high above the abandoned tracks and a steep trail down to the bottom.

Google Maps Street View of the DPS lot with the hill and bluff in the background

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

View of the area from the other side, from the end of Suffolk Avenue.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Theories like some hobo came down the track and killed him. A nut from Lynn could have done it

Just curious, was ALL of his money taken from his wallet? If so, I'm thinking a little different. But, if not, then i stay with the perp that i have been writing about who lived on Norfolk Ave.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back